Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568340 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5985 on: September 17, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
I was social distancing before it was cool.

We had a cool thing going, now it's mainstream.

Down here the social animals are going bananas and people like me/us who have effectively been in lockdown half our lives barely notice the lack of social interaction.  :)

Good to see that our state is making news in the Washington Post

https://twitter.com/KathrynDiss/status/1306195415813980160/photo/1
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:40:57 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5986 on: September 17, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
It was quite funny watching it all happen and seeing people loosing their minds with restrictions yet I'm sitting here thinking nothing has really changed.   :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5987 on: September 18, 2020, 12:37:35 AM »
True statement Kade. My partner has really struggled. Me, not so much.

The only downside for me has been when everyone was furloughed and could stay at home improving their guitar playing I had to go to work. And it’s been crazy busy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5988 on: September 18, 2020, 12:45:44 AM »
True statement Kade. My partner has really struggled. Me, not so much.

The only downside for me has been when everyone was furloughed and could stay at home improving their guitar playing I had to go to work. And it’s been crazy busy.

Same mate.  Wanted to spend the time just playing cause I've had no time in years but worked through the whole thing.  Literally nothing changed for me except I didn't have to put up with my moronic staff, so it was actually an improvement lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5989 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:28 AM »
New JSS song is shit.  Of course the whole album written by you know who......  ::)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5990 on: September 19, 2020, 05:24:26 AM »
New JSS song is shit.  Of course the whole album written by you know who......  ::)

Yeah... that came on my Spotify Release Radar playlist yesterday, and I was completely underwhelmed.  In fact, EVERYTHING there was a big bucket of 'meh'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5991 on: September 19, 2020, 05:31:32 AM »

Yeah... that came on my Spotify Release Radar playlist yesterday, and I was completely underwhelmed.  In fact, EVERYTHING there was a big bucket of 'meh'.

Where the fuck is all the good new releases lately?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5992 on: September 19, 2020, 05:55:29 AM »

Where the fuck is all the good new releases lately?

Can't say there's been too much that has wow'd me.  Andy James and Kiko Loureiro had some nice instrumental releases.  Vanishing Point was good.  I'm a bit of an Ian Parry fanboi, so his new release was enjoyable.  The only albums I've purchased were Petrucci and Pyramid Theorem

Some upcoming ones I'm looking forward to - Now or Never, DGM, Pyramaze, Black Fate, Lords of Black, and The Waymaker.

So far - just like the rest of the world in general - 2020 has been kinda shit for new music.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v.......Del Vicchio strikes again! :(
« Reply #5993 on: September 19, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
I forgot about the VP.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5994 on: October 04, 2020, 10:47:17 PM »
I figured this was more or less the right place to post this. I have the first two Giant albums, mostly because Innocent Days and I’m a Believer are really great songs. I haven’t ever followed them closely but thought Dan Huff was mostly just a producer now. Anyway, I had no idea these guys made another album until just now. Listening to “III” and I’m just shocked how good Dan Huff’s voice still sounded (it came out in 2001, so it’s almost 20 years old now). Anyway, it seems to pick up right where the others left off.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5995 on: October 05, 2020, 04:45:29 AM »
I figured this was more or less the right place to post this. I have the first two Giant albums, mostly because Innocent Days and I’m a Believer are really great songs. I haven’t ever followed them closely but thought Dan Huff was mostly just a producer now. Anyway, I had no idea these guys made another album until just now. Listening to “III” and I’m just shocked how good Dan Huff’s voice still sounded (it came out in 2001, so it’s almost 20 years old now). Anyway, it seems to pick up right where the others left off.

They even have one called Promised Land which was released quite a few years back.  Some argue that it's Giant though as Huff isn't singing or playing guitar.  He might play a solo or two from memory and maybe did some writing, but he's replaced with Jon Roth and Terry Brock.  It's......solid.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5996 on: October 05, 2020, 04:50:38 AM »

III were leftovers and outtakes from the first two albums I believe, rather than a new album.

Promise Land didn't have Dann Huff, and it was poor.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5997 on: October 05, 2020, 05:08:42 AM »
I thought Promised Land had a few really nice songs in the first half of the album but going into the back half it was pretty average.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5998 on: October 05, 2020, 05:42:37 AM »

III were leftovers and outtakes from the first two albums I believe, rather than a new album.

Correctamundo.   Just shows you how damn good they were that an album of leftovers was of such quality. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5999 on: October 05, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
I know that III exists but somehow never listened to it, but Last Of The Runaways is a killer melodic rock record and Time To Burn is also very good.  :metal :metal :metal

Saw them live in a small club on their first tour and it was great. At the end they ran out of songs to play but the crowd wanted more, so they played I'm A Believer twice.  :D

Shame they didn't release more records.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6000 on: October 05, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »

Correctamundo.   Just shows you how damn good they were that an album of leftovers was of such quality.

I love the song Can't Let Go. The moment where Dann pauses in the breakdown gets me every time. Impact with silence (however brief).

Offline HOF

« Reply #6001 on: October 05, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »

Promise Land didn't have Dann Huff, and it was poor.

Ah, so they they weren’t actually re-recorded in 2001? That would explain why Huff (and the whole band really) sounds so much like he did in the late 80s.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6002 on: November 13, 2020, 04:08:52 AM »
Wig Wam - "Never Say Die"

Not too shabby, great to see them back though!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6003 on: November 13, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »
Wig Wam - "Never Say Die"

Not too shabby, great to see them back though!  :tup

Yeah, really glad to have them back. I thought they lost their way a bit after WigWamania - things were just a bit bland in the songwriting.
They were great live, and it was fun to chat with Teeny and Glam at the bar when I saw them.

Heard this track the other day and it didn't blow me away but hoping for a return to form with the full album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6004 on: November 13, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
Never checked them out.  Holter from what I know with Jorn is a ripper guitarist though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6005 on: November 13, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6006 on: November 13, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoFybZG0_I

W.E.T.?  More like D.R.Y.

Sounds like Eclipse.  That's my only issue with W.E.T. it's like the same thing but with JSS. 

Having said that, I got my Eclipse blu-ray today.  I know you'll also say similar to DRY  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6007 on: November 13, 2020, 05:23:15 PM »
I loved the first W.E.T. album.  That's a modern melodic rock classic in my book.  Bleed and Scream and Are You Ready to Rock from Eclipse also are melodic rock heaven to me.  Martensson was killing it back then and I'll mention the Toby Hitchcock album again, he was on fire.  But not long after, for me, everything he started doing was just shit, he just totally lost me.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this new show though.

Also mate, no offence, but I think Garfield needs to lay off the lasagna a little.  He's a beauty though.  He actually has a look on his face like 'fuck, I'm going to have to listen to this shitty band now, aren't I?'  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6008 on: November 13, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
What does W.E.T. actually stand for?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6009 on: November 13, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
Also mate, no offence, but I think Garfield needs to lay off the lasagna a little.  He's a beauty though.  He actually has a look on his face like 'fuck, I'm going to have to listen to this shitty band now, aren't I?'  :lol

It's funny, my x gf used to always bring over treats and food for him... and for me.  We both gained weight. Even my parents were like "wow Buddy got fat" and I blamed it on the x who also got me to gain weight.  He since has been not so friendly with me cause I hardly give him treats or even wet food.  He got used to being spoiled and has been taking it out on me.  Although personally, I love him being a bit chunky for snuggles but I am not a fan of that chunky attitude he's got.

Also, he does have that look because he HATES music for some reason.  He's not into it at all and he probably knows I'm going to blast it.

The set is mostly new stuff so even if I enjoy it, I'm not sure it's going to be something you'll like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6010 on: November 13, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »
Also mate, no offence, but I think Garfield needs to lay off the lasagna a little.

:rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6011 on: November 13, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »

It's funny, my x gf used to always bring over treats and food for him... and for me.  We both gained weight. Even my parents were like "wow Buddy got fat" and I blamed it on the x who also got me to gain weight.  He since has been not so friendly with me cause I hardly give him treats or even wet food.  He got used to being spoiled and has been taking it out on me.  Although personally, I love him being a bit chunky for snuggles but I am not a fan of that chunky attitude he's got.

Also, he does have that look because he HATES music for some reason.  He's not into it at all and he probably knows I'm going to blast it.

The set is mostly new stuff so even if I enjoy it, I'm not sure it's going to be something you'll like.

Haha, he is Garfield.

Yeah, I think I remember reading the set and going 'Pfft'.  Although, I might help me enjoy their newer stuff more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6012 on: November 13, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
Also mate, no offence, but I think Garfield needs to lay off the lasagna a little.

:rollin :rollin

Haha, reading back, even though I said no offence, it was pretty rude.  I do love seeing animals getting loved and spoilt as opposed to crying for food all the time, so it's all good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6013 on: November 13, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
He's definitely Garfield  :lol I also didn't realize until recently that orange cats are almost all males. 

and it's all good, you can call my cat fat and I'm not offended.  Shit you can call me fat and I won't be offended.

Also, I do not spoil him at all, I blame this on my x but tbh I encouraged it so that he would accept her, which he did but now I'm stuck with his cattitude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6014 on: November 13, 2020, 05:53:34 PM »
He's definitely Garfield  :lol I also didn't realize until recently that orange cats are almost all males. 

and it's all good, you can call my cat fat and I'm not offended.  Shit you can call me fat and I won't be offended.

Also, I do not spoil him at all, I blame this on my x but tbh I encouraged it so that he would accept her, which he did but now I'm stuck with his cattitude

:lol

I love how your cat is getting more discussion than Eclipse.  :rollin

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6015 on: November 13, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
He gets more likes if I post a pic of him on social media than I do of myself, it's no surprise really.  I mean I definitely took that picture with him in the background for that reason.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6016 on: November 13, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »
What does W.E.T. actually stand for?

Work of Art - Robert Sall
Eclipse - Erik Martnesson
Talisman - Jeff Scott Soto

No, I'm not kidding.

My main gripe with W.E.T after the first album was that Robert Sall is a passenger.  Martensson obviously doesn't let him do or contribute shit.  If he more input, you'd get some more interesting songs.  He is also IMO a better guitarist than Magnus but Martnesson insists on having him in the band as the main guitarist.  What's the fucking point of Sall even being involved?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6017 on: November 13, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
He gets more likes if I post a pic of him on social media than I do of myself, it's no surprise really.  I mean I definitely took that picture with him in the background for that reason.

haha, yeah could tell that. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6018 on: November 13, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »
My main gripe with W.E.T after the first album was that Robert Sall is a passenger.  Martensson obviously doesn't let him do or contribute shit.  If he more input, you'd get some more interesting songs.  He is also IMO a better guitarist than Magnus but Martnesson insists on having him in the band as the main guitarist.  What's the fucking point of Sall even being involved?

I only have a few Eclipse albums and know nothing of Robert Sall.  I've heard a few W.E.T. songs (including listening to that new one) and it always just felt very similar to Eclipse which makes me think Martnesson is the guy. I guess you agree. It's catchy which I like, but I find it hard to really even want to listen to them when it seems like a copy of the other band with other musicians.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6019 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »

I only have a few Eclipse albums and know nothing of Robert Sall.  I've heard a few W.E.T. songs (including listening to that new one) and it always just felt very similar to Eclipse which makes me think Martnesson is the guy. I guess you agree. It's catchy which I like, but I find it hard to really even want to listen to them when it seems like a copy of the other band with other musicians.

The first album had it's own sound, but after that, it became Eclipse 2.0.  I guess I just really like Work of Art so wish there was more of that sound than just a copy of Eclipse as you say.