Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564355 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I really like Tearing Down the Walls too.

Noted... I'll give 'em both a go.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Full admission -- the Dirty Shirley record is damn good. The cover art might be the worst I've ever seen, but the music is great.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Full admission -- the Dirty Shirley record is damn good. The cover art might be the worst I've ever seen, but the music is great.

That's the George Lynch one hey?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...

That's the George Lynch one hey?

Yep!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lowdz

Haven't listened yet.  But given who is appreciating it, and who is dissing it, I'm quite certain I'll like it.   :lol

:lol I can assure you it’s a great tune

Your assurance was appreciated, and absolutely accurate.  Loved it!  Looking forward to this release.  I don't have any H.E.A.T. in my library - I've probably asked for recommendations before, but what are the top 2 suggestions?  Tim input not required  :lol

Address The Nation and Tearing Down The Walls are all you need 🤘

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This new Khymera is shaping up nicely and the new track sounds really good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
What did you think of the new H.E.A.T.  Paul??

I think it is a fantastic sounding album , but perhaps a bit one dimensional in the songwriting department vs Address The Nation.   I could certainly do without a song called Rock Your Body to open up but from there it's a pretty damn consistent album.

For me it's an excellent example of 80's AOR/hard rock but still can't knock off Address The Nation.    The production is about as good as it gets these days. 

If they can combine this sound/heavier edge with the quality/variety of the songs on ATN then that's the perfect H.E.A.T. album for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Looking forward to checking it out now Brent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I gotta spin that H.E.A.T. album.

Also, new ARP.  Didn't know he was working on anything.  Pretty typical ARP, yet still very enjoyable.  When this came up on my Spotify new release playlist, my first thought in hearing the opening riffs was 'this sounds like the kind of tune Gioelli would be the singer for'.  :lol  Nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJ0BnWbU_A
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

I really enjoyed it. I really love Erik’s voice. He’s a monster.

Far better than the last one.

Have you heard the Waiting For Monday album? I wasn’t expecting to like it but thought it was excellent. Gave me a Red Dawn sort of feel although minus the outstanding guitar work on that.

Frontiers’ output just recently has been much better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I am a mile behind on releases but have sampled a clip or two from Waiting For Monday.............if I recall it sounded like they were going for a bit of a Journey/The Storm vibe.  Will check it out properly at some point soon hopefully.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Wow, that is Dance of Death bad artwork.

I really love the album Lynch did with Ultraphonix. I will probably check this out.

EDIT: Oh, that is the drummer from Evanescence on there. I really like him. This increases my interest.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Frontiers’ output just recently has been much better.

That's good to hear, but I've kind of given up.  I only really check out albums from the bands I know now.  Maybe when I get some more time I'll go back and explore a few.

Offline Peter Mc

Yeah, I gotta spin that H.E.A.T. album.

Also, new ARP.  Didn't know he was working on anything.  Pretty typical ARP, yet still very enjoyable.  When this came up on my Spotify new release playlist, my first thought in hearing the opening riffs was 'this sounds like the kind of tune Gioelli would be the singer for'.  :lol  Nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJ0BnWbU_A

Huge ARP fan of old but find his last few albums to be pretty uninspired and this does nothing to excite me for the new one unfortunately. Could just be that I’ve become burned out on him (he’s essentially been releasing the same album over and over again for about 30 years!) but his melodies, riffs and solos just don’t hit me like they did on earlier material.  Last good album for me was Mystica in 2006.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Tales of the Crown was the last one I really liked.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You're spot on Peter.  We used to joke here that we could even tell which track # an ARP song would be just by hearing it.  His formula hasn't changed in like ... forever.  I also agree with Kade... Tales was a very good album.  I think I tried each of the last four, but can't be sure.  Certainly haven't bought any of them.

Offline Lowdz

The production on the ARP sounded shit, even for YouTube..Nothing to get excited about there and the riff sounds like Kill The King by Rainbow.

Agree that ARP albums have all sounded the same for what seems like forever. They are mostly interchangeable. Wild Obsession is still my favourite of his.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That song completely sounded like Kill the King

I definitely haven’t heard everything from ARP, but his one standout song that I’ve heard is the kick ass “Unchain the Thunder”

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to the song.  It was quite alright actually but damn his guitar playing is fucking bad.  Never was a outstanding guitarist but he just gets worse over the years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a listen to the song.  It was quite alright actually but damn his guitar playing is fucking bad.  Never was a outstanding guitarist but he just gets worse over the years.

Yup...........I never rated him as a lead guitarist either.   He has come up with some cool crunching riffs over the years but ran out of original ideas early days.

He's the sort of guy I got into because of his ability to attract top vocalists (Soto, Rock etc....) back in the day.

I definitely haven’t heard everything from ARP, but his one standout song that I’ve heard is the kick ass “Unchain the Thunder”

The first song of theirs I heard back in the day and remains a fave.  Not super surprised you like it given the singer :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
This isn't Frontiers... but it could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QoUsmRVre0

I dig it.  Anyone heard of these guys??  They've got 2 releases out there.

inb4 Tim... "This blows!"

Offline Lowdz

If heard them before, they’re ok. Don’t own anything by them but wouldn’t rule it out.

Another recent Frontiers release was the self titled by Passion. Decent melodic rock, a bit of a late 80s, early 90s jukebox of an album, with songs sounding a bit like different bands - here’s a Danger Danger song, here’s Giant, Night Ranger, 80s KISS. Then an AC DC song with Brian style vocals. I enjoyed it though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This isn't Frontiers... but it could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QoUsmRVre0

I dig it.  Anyone heard of these guys??  They've got 2 releases out there.

inb4 Tim... "This blows!"

I believe they were featured in one of my Best Of..........whatever year podcasts , probably in the also-rans. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not bad.  The singer is desperately trying to be Tobi.  It's cool the band are replying to the comments.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
This one is for Tim and Stads.  You'll see why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_BfZatJnHE

Tim, be patient, and at least have a listen - although, if you can suffer thru Lords of Trident, surely you can tolerate watching these guys.  :biggrin:

Vocally, I'm getting a huge Rick Altzi vibe.

Offline goo-goo

Digging this Archon Angel with Zak Steven on vocals. Anybody else listening to Archon Angel?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Digging this Archon Angel with Zak Steven on vocals. Anybody else listening to Archon Angel?

What I've listened to so far, I've really liked the music, with an equal dislike of the vocals.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This one is for Tim and Stads.  You'll see why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_BfZatJnHE

Tim, be patient, and at least have a listen - although, if you can suffer thru Lords of Trident, surely you can tolerate watching these guys.  :biggrin:

Vocally, I'm getting a huge Rick Altzi vibe.

Musically, it's not even that bad. But holy shit, painting their faces like that? I'm surprised Gene Simmons hasn't sued them yet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, it's actually a pretty good song with a nice sound and the guitarist is very good.  Totally sounds like Altzi, but I can't take them seriously with the face paint.  I'm sure Gene just hasn't seen this yet.  You know if he does, they are in trouble.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I heard them first on Spotify, and was 100% convinced it was Altzi.  Then I saw them on YT.  Oh man.  :lolpalm:

Still a good tune, and the album is .... wait for it ..... SOLID!

Offline Lowdz

What I've listened to so far, I've really liked the music, with an equal dislike of the vocals.

It ran out of steam a bit and the Queensryche rip off put me off a bit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still haven't listened to the Archon Angel.  Fuck I'm lazy checking out new shit these days.  Still haven't checked the H.E.A.T. either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Still haven't listened to the Archon Angel.  Fuck I'm lazy checking out new shit these days. 

Speaking of lazy.. There's no need to rush.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Still haven't listened to the Archon Angel.  Fuck I'm lazy checking out new shit these days.  Still haven't checked the H.E.A.T. either.

I finally listened to HEAT II today. Excellent stuff. Tim hates it though.

So far, I’ve been very good at focussing on my existing library this year. Only bought 1 album; only saved 4 on Spotify.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've only bought 1 too, but I've Saved a shitload.