Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568886 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, not so keen on second single from Revolution Saints.

Fuck, it must be bad!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Peter Mc

Ha ha! Even my favourite bands have songs I don’t like and these are far from that! It’s not terrible but nothing particularly great about it. Melody seems a bit off, not Deen’s best vocal and not much of a guitar solo.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Bob is 72, so I think he sounds excellent on this track.

Huh, Dennis Ward plays bass on this album.

Bob doesn't sound like in his best days anymore, but he's still a great singer and one of the few who still deliver even in his advanced age.

Didn't know that Dennis Ward was on this. I always liked Al Barrow's playing, but maybe Dennis can get them a bit more rocking again.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Al was solid on the bass.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New Khymera;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpIsJKX9Fo

Last one was a bit soft with not many rockers at all.  This is a decent start.  Dennis sounds good as usual.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Harem Scarem track The Death of Me is on Spotify now if you're in Oz (tomorrow for US) -  their choruses have been samey for a while and this is no exception but apart from that I think it's sounding promising for the album.   Pretty fresh sounding riff and it's quite a heavy track for a single , good guitar work and if I was to pick an era it sounds like I'd say Believe with a touch of Voice of Reason.   

I haven't been 100% on board since Believe so this has me at least interested.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:16:12 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The new Harem Scarem track Death of Me is on Spotify now if you're in Oz (tomorrow for US) -  their choruses have been samey for a while and this is no exception but apart from that I think it's sounding promising for the album.   Pretty fresh sounding riff and it's quite a heavy track for a single , good guitar work and if I was to pick an era it sounds like I'd say Believe with a touch of Voice of Reason.   

Found a youtube link.  Not too bad actually.  Pete doing some nice work in the solo.  I didn't find too much I liked with the last one for some reason, but 13 I really did enjoy. 

Offline Lowdz

I never heard HS at the time of those first albums. My first was Weight of the World, and that and the next two were great. I did go back to those first two which I love but never got into those middle albums at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I never heard HS at the time of those first albums. My first was Weight of the World, and that and the next two were great. I did go back to those first two which I love but never got into those middle albums at all.

I have DTF to thank for Harem Scarem.  All you guys really pimped them back in the Frontiers thread from memory and I jumped on board.

Offline Peter Mc

Just finished first listen of Revolution Saints new album. Sounds like a pretty weak effort unfortunately, am guessing this will be the end of things. Deen’s voice not quite what it was a few years ago either, you certainly wouldn’t mistake him for Steve Perry on this album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The new Harem Scarem track Death of Me is on Spotify now if you're in Oz (tomorrow for US) -  their choruses have been samey for a while and this is no exception but apart from that I think it's sounding promising for the album.   Pretty fresh sounding riff and it's quite a heavy track for a single , good guitar work and if I was to pick an era it sounds like I'd say Believe with a touch of Voice of Reason.   

Found a youtube link.  Not too bad actually.  Pete doing some nice work in the solo.  I didn't find too much I liked with the last one for some reason, but 13 I really did enjoy.

Really!  I liked United much more than 13.  Hopefully I dig this tune/album.  I liked Believe (but I know you really mean Karma Cleansing  :biggrin:), but wasn't too much of a fan of VoR.  At the time, Mood Swings was an absolute love of mine, but I felt they tried to jump on the 'grunge' train with VoR, and hated it.  I really should go back to it with a more open set of ears.  I spun Live in Japan a while back, and liked it much better than I remembered.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Really!  I liked United much more than 13.  Hopefully I dig this tune/album.  I liked Believe (but I know you really mean Karma Cleansing  :biggrin:), but wasn't too much of a fan of VoR.  At the time, Mood Swings was an absolute love of mine, but I felt they tried to jump on the 'grunge' train with VoR, and hated it.  I really should go back to it with a more open set of ears.  I spun Live in Japan a while back, and liked it much better than I remembered.

Yeah - Karma Cleansing.   ;D    I made sure to get the Japanese version (Believe) because Karma Cleansing doesn't have what was my favourite track (at the time) which was Staying Away ........sung by Darren.

I was taken aback by Voice of Reason at the time but grew to really like a number of tracks on it.  From there I found them very hit and miss - not sure I even liked a single track on Big Bang Theory and then they really lost it with Rubber etc.........a few good songs here and there but give me the first 3-4 (and mostly the first two) and that's about all I need.    Mood Swings was somewhere in my top 20 in the DTF Top 50 ..........

Aside from the samey chorus I did really like the direction of the new single.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - Karma Cleansing.   ;D    I made sure to get the Japanese version (Believe) because Karma Cleansing doesn't have what was my favourite track (at the time) which was Staying Away ........sung by Darren.

I was taken aback by Voice of Reason at the time but grew to really like a number of tracks on it.  From there I found them very hit and miss - not sure I even liked a single track on Big Bang Theory and then they really lost it with Rubber etc.........a few good songs here and there but give me the first 3-4 (and mostly the first two) and that's about all I need.    Mood Swings was somewhere in my top 20 in the DTF Top 50 ..........

Aside from the samey chorus I did really like the direction of the new single.

Japanese bonus tracks  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't give United much of a go to be fair.

I love Believe.  I haven't studied all their albums heavily but that would be second fav after Mood Swings.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just finished first listen of Revolution Saints new album. Sounds like a pretty weak effort unfortunately, am guessing this will be the end of things. Deen’s voice not quite what it was a few years ago either, you certainly wouldn’t mistake him for Steve Perry on this album.

That's disappointing mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
re: Harem Scarem... I agree on the hit-and-miss, Brent.  Even the 2000s stuff is a bit inconsistent. 

And I deleted the Rubber/Ultra Feel rubbish from my library.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Peter Mc

Actually, I’ve had it on in the background while working today and it’s sounding a little better, may have been a little harsh.

Offline Lowdz

Actually, I’ve had it on in the background while working today and it’s sounding a little better, may have been a little harsh.

Deen doesn’t look well these days. I know he had his drug issues and I’m certainly no insider, but he looks rough. It might just be age and the look he’s going for I guess.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to that Harem Scarem song again, it's really good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave Voice of Reason a spin yesterday. Despite liking a few songs more than I originally did, it's still mostly shite to me. If I reach for Harem Scarem, there are still 10 other albums I'd grab before that one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I gave Voice of Reason a spin yesterday. Despite liking a few songs more than I originally did, it's still mostly shite to me. If I reach for Harem Scarem, there are still 10 other albums I'd grab before that one.

I actually listened to a few tracks off that today too - the main one I come back to on that is Candle and perhaps the title track to a lesser extent.  But yeah........pretty crap given what came before.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:59:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Peter Mc

I’ve given this a few listens and I was too harsh. It’s a solid album, probably better than the previous one. Runs out of a bit of steam towards the end but I like most of the songs here. I will stick to my comment about Deen not quite being at the level he was but he’s still a good singer. Just sounds a bit more like Deen Castronovo now rather than Steve Perry but maybe that’s not a bad thing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This new track from H.E.A.T. is almost a caricature of 80's soundtrack melodic rock but the sound is spot on and I can't help but tap the foot/bang the head.  Sounds like this new album is going to be a return to form and better than solid  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6d8xJqY2uA&feature=youtu.be

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That H.E.A.T tune is very good. I really like their videos as well

Offline Lowdz

I agree with you there Zbrent. I almost turned it off as it was so generic, but stuck with it. I always dislike effects on the vocal - another cliche. It’s usually a sign that the melody is weak.

I love Erik’s voice though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This new track from H.E.A.T. is almost a caricature of 80's soundtrack melodic rock but the sound is spot on and I can't help but tap the foot/bang the head.  Sounds like this new album is going to be a return to form and better than solid  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6d8xJqY2uA&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, quite a good track.  I don't even think I listened to the last one based on the songs released but this sounds more old school H.E.A.T. which is cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys suck...apologizing to my ears ahead of time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Not growlie enough?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't listened yet.  But given who is appreciating it, and who is dissing it, I'm quite certain I'll like it.   :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Haven't listened yet.  But given who is appreciating it, and who is dissing it, I'm quite certain I'll like it.   :lol

:lol I can assure you it’s a great tune

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Who let you in here?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol I can assure you it’s a great tune

Your assurance was appreciated, and absolutely accurate.  Loved it!  Looking forward to this release.  I don't have any H.E.A.T. in my library - I've probably asked for recommendations before, but what are the top 2 suggestions?  Tim input not required  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I think this new one could end up being my fave (melodic and heavy) but the other one to check out is Address The Nation  (the first with the current singer) which is a bit softer and more diverse.  I think you would probably also like at least a decent part of Freedom Rock with the original singer but there is filler to get through.

Samples:

Living On The Run (off ATN) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjstO43juVg&t=292s
Better Off Alone (off ATN) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjstO43juVg&t=1106s
In And Out Of Trouble (Off ATN):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjstO43juVg&t=1347s

Black Night (off Freedom Rock) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdxIny_fG1Q&t=183s

I have a Korea only bonus track off ATN which is worth having IMHO - happy to oblige if you want it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH7O7A0pGcY
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:39:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Brent.  Living on the Run was given to me in a roulette by Jon.  Loved it.  Turns out I did save that album on Spotify.  I'll check out Freedom Rock

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I really like Tearing Down the Walls too.