Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572623 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Just shows how different people have different tastes but, to me at least, When The Heartache Has Gone could easily fit right in on the first Revolution Saints album. Cool catchy rock song for me, looking forward to the new album.

Offline Lowdz

You can’t expect any variety in the output when there’s only a couple of people writing all the songs.
That song was ok but there’s just nothing to get excited about. Absolutely nothing to make me want to play it. Is it going to compete with the best stuff from back in the day? Absolutely not. So what’s the point?

Offline Peter Mc

It’s not as good as the absolute best stuff back in the day but those bands aren’t making new music so it fills a hole for me in terms of well made classic AOR music. Also, whilst it doesn’t match up to the absolute best Journey stuff, that first album would still be a solid Journey album in my book. Not one of their best but not their worst either.  I don’t really get the argument really that you shouldn’t listen to anything if another band did it better 30 odd years ago. It’s like saying “I’m not going to listen to Dream Theater because Rush did it better”

Don’t get me wrong, if Journey were still churning out decent quality material, there’s no real need for Revolution Saints. They’re not though so I can either just continue listening to the same old music over and over or I can enjoy listening to some new stuff in a similar vein which, whilst not as good, is still well made AOR with stellar musicians.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Are any of these bands albums going to become long time classics?  Are any of Revolution Saints albums classics for a new generation?  Are we going to be listening to Revolution Saints and talking about them in 20 years?

Same could be said about music 20 years ago now, but while bands like this produce somewhat catchy tunes, there's just no substance or longevity anymore.  Even when I made this thread, it seemed bands still wanted to produce high quality melodic rock for the love of the genre, but they are producing this stuff now for the sake of it and getting some sales.  Songs written by the same people and given to musicians put together and told to play them to get paid.

Yes, I love the first album, but I just don't see the point anymore now either.  If these 3 guys got together by themselves and shared a vision and wrote songs together, that would be different.

I think that's why bands say like Work of Art, while generic, still have some credibility as they are a band and write their owns songs, well one guy does anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:16:22 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

We slagged the pop artists off for years for not writing their own stuff. Now “our” bands are doing it. 😡

As Kade said, if they were writing their own stuff there’s a point.

And RS aren’t anywhere near as good as the top AOR bands. Not even the guitar playing stands out either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
We slagged the pop artists off for years for not writing their own stuff. Now “our” bands are doing it. 😡

As Kade said, if they were writing their own stuff there’s a point.

And RS aren’t anywhere near as good as the top AOR bands. Not even the guitar playing stands out either.

Doug's solo on that new track was quite awkward and sloppy.

It's not like these guys can't write a song either.  Yes, their names are on some songs here but that doesn't cut it. 

Guys like Bob Catley you can understand because he's never been a song writer, and even the first Toby album I started the thread for.  Those you can understand but these guys?  Sorry, we can see what's going on here.

Offline Peter Mc

If it’s enjoyable, it’s enjoyable, doesn’t really matter who wrote it. Elvis didn’t write his own songs. I’m not suggesting these are classics and will be played forever, they’re not. I’m also not suggesting this isn’t calculated, it is. Frontiers had signed Journey who promptly stopped making records so they made their own version and got a guy who can write those type of songs. He’s not in the same class as Perry/Cain/Schon in their pomp clearly but when was the last time any of them wrote anything that could be considered a classic?

In an ideal world Journey would still be producing solid albums of enjoyable music even with Arnel on vocals but they’ve decided to be a nostalgia act and I don’t blame them for that. I am therefore left with the choice of just listening to old Journey albums for my AOR fix or listening to a new albeit lesser band playing new songs in the style of Journey. I like to do a bit of both.

If people don’t like them and think the songs are terrible then that’s cool, we all like different things. The other stuff though “they’ve been put together”, “they don’t write their own songs” shouldn’t really matter, only whether or not you enjoy the end product.  I enjoy a lot of their songs despite how they came to be or who wrote what.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I think what most of us are trying to insinuate is that we don't enjoy these not *because* these acts/albums are simply 'being thrown together', but that is a big part of *why* we don't like (most of) these factory produced bands/albums.  They sound lifeless... no heart/soul/emotion ... there's no connection.  And that is the reason for the lack of enjoyment.  So, Frontier's model isn't in-and-of-itself the reason most of us don't like the output, but an indirect reason.

Not sure if that's making any sense.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No, I think it IS the direct reason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I dunno, I think they both play a part.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
But their model IS throwing these bands together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim keeps typing IS in capitals, so I think he is getting stern with this

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I IS! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
If it’s enjoyable, it’s enjoyable, doesn’t really matter who wrote it. Elvis didn’t write his own songs. I’m not suggesting these are classics and will be played forever, they’re not. I’m also not suggesting this isn’t calculated, it is. Frontiers had signed Journey who promptly stopped making records so they made their own version and got a guy who can write those type of songs. He’s not in the same class as Perry/Cain/Schon in their pomp clearly but when was the last time any of them wrote anything that could be considered a classic?

In an ideal world Journey would still be producing solid albums of enjoyable music even with Arnel on vocals but they’ve decided to be a nostalgia act and I don’t blame them for that. I am therefore left with the choice of just listening to old Journey albums for my AOR fix or listening to a new albeit lesser band playing new songs in the style of Journey. I like to do a bit of both.

If people don’t like them and think the songs are terrible then that’s cool, we all like different things. The other stuff though “they’ve been put together”, “they don’t write their own songs” shouldn’t really matter, only whether or not you enjoy the end product.  I enjoy a lot of their songs despite how they came to be or who wrote what.

Even though it seems we are ganging up on you slightly Peter, you make very valid and acceptable points.  I just wish there was some more authentic AOR and melodic rock going around.  It just seems the Fronters model is the main way at the moment for this type of music.

Saying that, I recommend you check the new Defiants album.  That's some really nice AOR.

Offline Peter Mc

Ha ha, don’t worry, it’s all very polite and good natured. I just think sometimes people see the background of the group and are like “oh you can totally tell that this was a manufactured band, it sounds heartless etc”.  I just wonder if they’d feel the same if this was a new band they’d never heard of and didn’t know the story of. We’ll never know I guess whether it’s prejudice or not unless they came to this conclusion before knowing their background.  It sounds to me like DC is singing and playing his ass off and there are some awesome guitar solos too but I do get the instinctive suspicion of manufactured bands and music. I have often been the same.

I don’t know why I’m defending them so much to be honest, it’s not like they’re one of my favourite bands or anything. I just find them a fun listen every once in a while.  I’ll keep an eye out for the band you mentioned.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Ha ha, don’t worry, it’s all very polite and good natured. I just think sometimes people see the background of the group and are like “oh you can totally tell that this was a manufactured band, it sounds heartless etc”.  I just wonder if they’d feel the same if this was a new band they’d never heard of and didn’t know the story of. We’ll never know I guess whether it’s prejudice or not unless they came to this conclusion before knowing their background.  It sounds to me like DC is singing and playing his ass off and there are some awesome guitar solos too but I do get the instinctive suspicion of manufactured bands and music. I have often been the same.

I don’t know why I’m defending them so much to be honest, it’s not like they’re one of my favourite bands or anything. I just find them a fun listen every once in a while.  I’ll keep an eye out for the band you mentioned.

I'll give the new one a good chance mate when it comes out.  Might even revisit the second album.

Offline Peter Mc

2nd one is a step down, no doubt. I think it was helped for me as I heard that one first. It was bought for me as a Xmas present and I instantly wasn’t keen “Just sounds like a poor mans Journey” was the phrase I uttered! I gave it a few more spins in the car though and grew to like it more and more. It got to the point then when I started to look into them a little more and realised they had an earlier album. I then bought that and liked it even more.

When I listen to them now back to back, the first one is much better. Had I got the albums in the correct order, I’d probably be less of a fan of album 2. There are some ok songs on it though.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
The song Let Me Dream from WOA latest album, is stuck in my head. The 80s vibe is strong in this one.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The song Let Me Dream from WOA latest album, is stuck in my head. The 80s vibe is strong in this one.  :tup

My copy keeps getting delayed in shipping for some reason.  I want to listen but still may hold out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another band (like Rush) that are gods in their genre but that never became a massive favourite of mine are Magnum.  Aside from OASTN, Vigilante era I have never managed to get on board as heavily as most , but for a band with guys in their 70s this new track sounds pretty damn lively.

Will keep an eye out for the new album shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWrYftJT-Ho&feature=youtu.be
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Another band (like Rush) that are gods in their genre but that never became a massive favourite of mine are Magnum.  Aside from OASTN, Vigilante era I have never managed to get on board as heavily as most , but for a band with guys in their 70s this new track sounds pretty damn lively.

The last couple have just been really boring IMO.  Princess Arrow was the last one I thought that was really good.  I'll check the link when I'm at home.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I'm a big Magnum fan, but the last couple of records weren't that good, apart from a few songs here and there.

Bob Catley still sounds great and I will check out and probably buy the new record, if only to support them and for completist reasons, but I'm not expecting much. It will probably be solid.

On The 13th Day was the last one I really enjoyed. Their best ones are from (sadly) a long time ago and before the reunion. On A Storyteller's Night, Wings Of Heaven, Rock Art, Chase The Dragon are my favorites.

But I never heard someone call them gods of their genre, I always had the impression that they were kind of under the radar for most rock fans.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

But I never heard someone call them gods of their genre, I always had the impression that they were kind of under the radar for most rock fans.

When I say "of their genre" I mean amongst dedicated AOR/melodic rock fans.  Hardly any "rock fans" in my country would know who Magnum are but in what I would call the "online AOR/melodic rock community" which tends to be largely UK/Europe based Magnum are almost universally regarded as one of the all time greats.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:36:07 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

When I say "of their genre" I man amongst dedicated AOR/melodic rock fans.  Hardly any "rock fans" in my country would know who Magnum are but in what I would call the "online AOR/melodic rock community" which tends to be largely UK/Europe based Magnum are almost universally regarded as one of the all time greats.

I often wonder how many people there are around Brisbane to Gold Coast there are that know listen to bands like Magnum, Rush etc.  Dream Theater has gotten a decent turnout each time they play here I guess, so there must be some.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow, this was really really good.  Hopefully the album is more in this style and less ploddy.  This is a very well written song.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Wow, this was really really good.  Hopefully the album is more in this style and less ploddy.  This is a very well written song.

Definitely not bad. Sounds a bit dated but that was expected, the song itself is actually alright. I'll check out the album.

I think I bought Sacred Blood "Divine" Lies a few years ago and there were some good songs there but that's about it, never returned to that album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That new Magnum track is really good

Offline Lowdz

The last couple have just been really boring IMO.  Princess Arrow was the last one I thought that was really good.  I'll check the link when I'm at home.

I loved the run from Chase The Dragon to Wings of Heaven but after that I got bored. I’ enjoyed the last one after a few boring albums. Bobs voice is showing it’s age now but he’s still listenable.
They certainly have a style.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Bob is 72, so I think he sounds excellent on this track.

Huh, Dennis Ward plays bass on this album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I think he's a full time member now - quit PC 69.   Perhaps he has given them a kick up the butt in terms of rocking a bit more - hopefully.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I think he's a full time member now - quit PC 69.   Perhaps he has given them a kick up the butt in terms of rocking a bit more - hopefully.

Huh.  I wonder what that means for PC69.  I guess Alfred and David are still there so I'm sure they'll continue. 

Offline Lowdz

I’d be pretty gutted by this if PC 69 were more active.

Anyone heard the second track from the Revolution Saints? Shakes head sadly.
One arpeggiated piano chord riff. Lazy. Boring. Singing is good.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.

Didn't bother. From the first record these guys didn't write their own stuff. No interest in hearing great musicians act like pop acts and perform other peoples' songs. I got into hard rock and metal because the musicians generally wrote what they played. Stuff like this...smh. Just come on.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Peter Mc

Yeah, not so keen on second single from Revolution Saints.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I’d be pretty gutted by this if PC 69 were more active.

Yeah, it's kind of a 'huh' moment.  Don't see them doing much more worthwhile in the future honestly.  I think Dennis Ward is a smart man.  He can probably see PC69 is a bit stale and he has the ability to do a little bit more.