Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 571023 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
MK confirmed FreeFall III on his FB page for sometime in 2020.

:caffeine:

I think.  I hope he hasn't run out of ideas/creativity.

Nice.

Offline Lowdz

I can't say that I ever thought of QR when listening to Blackbird , but I can see how the Collins production could give that vibe. At times I did think the production on Blackbird was a bit too "big" .......starting to get into that "wall of sound."

I wavered from one to the other as my favourite - maybe I would say that my favourite songs are on Blackbird but the debut may be a touch more consistent across the album.

I always felt it had an Empire feel to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
MK confirmed FreeFall III on his FB page for sometime in 2020.

:caffeine:

I think.  I hope he hasn't run out of ideas/creativity.

A while away but I'll take it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Listening to some Steelhouse Lane in the car at the moment and fuck Mike Slamer is one hell of a guitarist.  Wonderful, underrated player.

Random bump post of the day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Where would I start with Steelhouse Lane? I've never heard of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Might be a bit light on for you overall Tim , but try Slaves of the New World.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Where would I start with Steelhouse Lane? I've never heard of them.

Nah mate, you won't like them, trust me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thinking about that, I'd love to hear Slamer shredding for something really metal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, was checking out Slaves Of The New World. Yeah, not really my thing. I mean, it wasn't bad, and I wouldn't say it blows or anything like that. Something about that guy's voice. It's such a stereotypical vocal. But yes, that dude on guitar has some chops.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I actually think Keith Slack has an amazing voice - never felt it was a cookie cutter vocal.  He has done nothing of consequence outside of Steelhouse Lane so maybe I'm the odd one out there.

Perhaps try some Seventh Key Tim..............Slamer on Guitar and Billy Greer from Kansas on vocals/bass

The Kid Could Play :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSSkm8vp6E

Winds of War  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_DCYp8sfM  (takes a couple of mins to get going
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, Keith Slack huh? I thought he sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. He did some work with Michael Schenker.

I've sampled Seventh Key before. I might even have them saved on Spotify. Not sure I can recall anything though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, Keith Slack huh? I thought he sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. He did some work with Michael Schenker.

I've sampled Seventh Key before. I might even have them saved on Spotify. Not sure I can recall anything though.

Yeah I knew he had a touring gig with Schenker but wasn't aware of much recorded material from him outside of some obscure bluesy thing (Mudpie or something)........I probably have it floating around somewhere :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
He's on The Unforgiven Live album.  I don't find a lot of character in his voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I can see where you are both coming from re his vocals.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviX-0XOe9Q

Frontiers spending slightly more on their budget on this one.  Just from the last Starbreaker.  Man, Tony isn't aging well.  Poor bugger, the cancer really took it out of him but his voice is still amazing.   I love how this is much faster than the album version, really good.  Wonder what the go is there.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 05:10:35 PM by wolfking »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't aware Tony Harnell had cancer?   Tony Mills yes (sadly) - also ex-TNT - but wasn't aware of any major health scare for Tony Harnell.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I wasn't aware Tony Harnell had cancer?   Tony Mills yes (sadly) - also ex-TNT - but wasn't aware of any major health scare for Tony Harnell.

MacAlpine too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Thyroid cancer too.  Makes a lot of what he is doing on this Starbreaker album really damn impressive.  Magnus even though is a bit safe on this one really tests Tony on a few songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

MacAlpine too.

Iommi. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Couple of recent listens....

First Signal.  I think I threw up in my ears a little... and I'm a Hess fanboi!  This was absolutely terrible.
Neonfly (new single dropped today).  I like it; Tim will hate it.
Restless Spirits - project from the Lords of Black writers.  Multi vocalist (Castronova, Gioelli, Del Vecchio, Valdez) ... some really good hard-melodic rock.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Sweet Oblivion delivers.

shameless plug of my review - http://www.anybodylistening.net/sweetoblivion.html

I'm not usually a fan of how Frontiers sorta does these things, but this one works.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

OK, was checking out Slaves Of The New World. Yeah, not really my thing. I mean, it wasn't bad, and I wouldn't say it blows or anything like that. Something about that guy's voice. It's such a stereotypical vocal. But yes, that dude on guitar has some chops.

Both those Steelhouse Lane albums are excellent. The growls have ruined your ears Tim 😀

The biggest problem I had with the first album was that by the time I’d heard it, I’d heard half the songs done by other bands so it took a bit of getting used to.

Offline Lowdz

Sweet Oblivion delivers.

shameless plug of my review - http://www.anybodylistening.net/sweetoblivion.html

I'm not usually a fan of how Frontiers sorta does these things, but this one works.

Nice. Looking forward to it. I’ve preordered it on the strength of the singles. Just have to wait now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

First Signal.  I think I threw up in my ears a little... and I'm a Hess fanboi!  This was absolutely terrible.
Restless Spirits - project from the Lords of Black writers.  Multi vocalist (Castronova, Gioelli, Del Vecchio, Valdez) ... some really good hard-melodic rock.

That First Signal must be shit then if that's your take Chad.

I'm interested in the Restless Spirits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

It was absolute tripe.  So bad that I don't ever want to listen the the previous First Signal albums!   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

It was absolute tripe.  So bad that I don't ever want to listen the the previous First Signal albums!   :lol

:lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Kade, your favourite combination: Frontiers plus Sascha Paeth! :neverusethis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkY08Jxwe4
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That wasn't terrible!  Cowan sounds better there than she does anywhere else I've heard her.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Kade, your favourite combination: Frontiers plus Sascha Paeth! :neverusethis:

I'm on my phone so will check this out later but if Del Viccho is somehow involved it could be the album of the century!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

I'm on my phone so will check this out later but if Del Viccho is somehow involved it could be the album of the century!

don't forget Issa
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Kade -  Paeth and Issa are working on a project together called  PISSA   ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Kade -  Paeth and Issa are working on a project together called  PISSA   ;)

Even though you are taking the piss, I wouldn't be surprised if it were actually true.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Fucking awful vocals.  And what the fuck is with the dude with the double bass haha.  His solos are still shit too.  Crap song.  The only cool thing is Felix on the drums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
... and not even that.   There's no way he played that kit on the recording.  You hear these amazing fills and see him flailing over two drums like Animal in The Muppets...

And I didn't care for the singing at all, though she looked good doing it.