Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564412 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
More like...

...Lose Me. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
More like...

...Lose Me. ;D

That actually made me LOL.

Noe enough fucking growls hey?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It would be nice if they varied their sound a bit from song to song or album to album but yeah...........he sure has a voice on him.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It would be nice if they varied their sound a bit from song to song or album to album but yeah...........he sure has a voice on him.

At least the song isn't a total flop like the Toby Hitchcock.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
New Find Me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWQiKQrYsLA

Sounds very similar to the last one, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
:metal

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is the time of year where i binge listen to 2018 releases and try to catch up.  The really good stuff gets noted and set aside for further listens/inclusion in the podcast and the bad stuff gets into my Shit List which I usually seem to post/update here.

So let's get it started:

BRENT's 2018 SHIT LIST:

-  Johnny Gioeli - One Voice.    I like the guy's voice but this attempt at the singer/songwriter thing is woeful. Three voices wouldn't save these songs.
- Ghost Ship Octavius .  Their last album was patchy but had a couple of great songs..........this one don't!

NOT REALLY SHIT BUT DISAPPOINTING GIVEN PAST ALBUMS:

- Ancient Empire
- Arion -new singer doesn't compare well and production is muddy as.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:42:18 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  is it sick that I may be more intrigued in the shit list as opposed to the real list?

I forgot about both of Johnnys albums this year and might as well keep it that way.

I have been trying to check some new releases also since XMas and will post what I've listened to when I'm not online on my phone.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Oh man... my shit list is pretty long.  I agree on the Gioelli solo one, though I didn't mind the Gioelli-Castronovo release.  It was pretty formulaic for Frontiers, but still a decent enough listen.

Agree on Arion - highly disappointed after The Last of Us was so good.  Not sure I sampled Ancient Empire - and I'm not going to.  I'm done with 2018, except for anything on the 'great' list from Brent that I might have missed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Arion was one of my more highly anticipated releases last year too, but I agree it was very disappointing.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol  is it sick that I may be more intrigued in the shit list as opposed to the real list?

By Kade's request the Best of 2018 podcast has been changed to the 2018 Shit Show podcast :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You'll all thank me later.

Speaking of shit show, I'm four songs in on the new Lizzy Borden and I can't believe my ears.  What the fuck is the go with this, good lord!  I've got it spinning in the car and the first couple were tolerable, but by the third song I thought about crashing my car.  Not sure if I have the nuts to keep going with this.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Speaking of shit show, I'm four songs in on the new Lizzy Borden and I can't believe my ears.  What the fuck is the go with this, good lord!  I've got it spinning in the car and the first couple were tolerable, but by the third song I thought about crashing my car.  Not sure if I have the nuts to keep going with this.

Yeah - from memory I liked one song.   But the reviews have been mostly positive which was a big surprise to me .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah - from memory I liked one song.   But the reviews have been mostly positive which was a big surprise to me .

I'll give the rest a spin then at least, but fuck this is a big step down from their last one which I thought was excellent.

Since we are in this thread, I've also checked the Devil's Hand with Mike Slamer.  Even though it's pretty Slamer by numbers, I thought it was quite enjoyable and some nice heavier moments which is great to hear from him.  A standard Frontiers fare, but I didn't mind it at all.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah ditto (listened yesterday) - Devil's Hand got a 84% from me , so good without being great. Like you say much of it has been heard before if you are a fan of Seventh Key or Steelhouse Lane but whatever he does is quality.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah ditto (listened yesterday) - Devil's Hand got a 84% from me , so good without being great. Like you say much of it has been heard before if you are a fan of Seventh Key or Steelhouse Lane but whatever he does is quality.

Yeah nice.  I love his soloing, such a great guitarist.  I'll listen to this one again.  I listened to it yesterday too, huh!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I dropped the needle on the Lizzy Borden when it came out and I thought it blew big chunks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I dropped the needle on the Lizzy Borden when it came out and I thought it blew big chunks.

At least it wasn't big ass chunks .

The thought I had as I listened to it was that it was full of unfinished songs that had been rushed out before their time.  There was the skeleton of a decent song in many cases but just something missing with most of them.

About to listen to Michael Schenker Fest.  (update after listening.............solid :)  )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:44:52 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I got through most of the Lizzy Borden and this could be one of the most shittiest, disappointing, abysmal albums I've ever heard from an established band, if not the worst.  What an absolute astoundingly horrible album.  This makes Frequency Unknown sound respectable.  Maybe I'm being harsh or just expected too much but fuck me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I got through most of the Lizzy Borden and this could be one of the most shittiest, disappointing, abysmal albums I've ever heard from an established band, if not the worst.  What an absolute astoundingly horrible album.  This makes Frequency Unknown sound respectable.  Maybe I'm being harsh or just expected too much but fuck me.

You're making me want a song-by-song review of this album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You're making me want a song-by-song review of this album.

The thought did cross my mind to be honest haha.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't make it through the whole Lizzy Borden album.  I think I tapped out ten minutes in.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The stupid reprises fucked me off and what the fuck is with Silent Night?  Fuck off Lizzy, you can do better than this shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

About to listen to Michael Schenker Fest.  (update after listening.............solid :)  )

Yeah, it's not bad. I enjoy it.

It was great seeing them. Being 15 ft away from Graham Bonnet, it was like Weekend At Bernie's in concert.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, it's not bad. I enjoy it.

It was great seeing them. Being 15 ft away from Graham Bonnet, it was like Weekend At Bernie's in concert.

:rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've had the urge to go back through Ten's discography.  Starting with the debut yesterday, I never really gave this one much time.  I got a cd version of both the debut and The Name of the Rose in the one package so Rose always was the fav of the two.  Saying that, I never really realised how much of a high quality melodic rock/AOR album the debut is.  I really enjoyed it.  A dud or two near the end, but man, this is some class AOR,

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
hhmmmmm.... might want to revisit this myself then.  I'm resolving NOT to try out so much new music this year, and try to focus more on the awesome stuff I already have, but don't listen to enough.

Hopefully this approach lasts more than a few weeks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
hhmmmmm.... might want to revisit this myself then.  I'm resolving NOT to try out so much new music this year, and try to focus more on the awesome stuff I already have, but don't listen to enough.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hopefully this approach lasts more than a few weeks.

:lol

Sounds like every other New Year's resolution that doesn't even make it to February. :lol

Edit: What Kade posted!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I know ... I know. I need help.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I know ... I know. I need help.

You can do it mate, stay strong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Still going through the Ten discography and Name of the Robe is indeed a classic melodic rock album.  Turn Around is a bit of a dud but so much good stuff here, wonderful melodies, just like I remember it.

The Robe wasn't actually as good as I remember.  I didn't find the melodies as strong as the first two albums.  The title track however is amazing and as is Someday.  That could be a top 3 ballad from Gary.  Everything else in between was good but wasn't as strong as I remember.

Spellbound was one I never got into and never understood the love, but I'm only up to Red but jeez, I don't know what I was on about.  The three hit of Force, Pyramid and the title track are awesome, and We Rule the Night is excellent.  The Still of the Night rip offs in the title track are unforgiving, but damn that chorus is so good.  Looking forward to hearing Crystal Ball as I get through the album also.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Still going through the Ten discography and Name of the Robe is indeed a classic melodic rock album.  Turn Around is a bit of a dud but so much good stuff here, wonderful melodies, just like I remember it.

The Robe wasn't actually as good as I remember.  I didn't find the melodies as strong as the first two albums.  The title track however is amazing and as is Someday.  That could be a top 3 ballad from Gary.  Everything else in between was good but wasn't as strong as I remember.

Spellbound was one I never got into and never understood the love, but I'm only up to Red but jeez, I don't know what I was on about.  The three hit of Force, Pyramid and the title track are awesome, and We Rule the Night is excellent.  The Still of the Night rip offs in the title track are unforgiving, but damn that chorus is so good.  Looking forward to hearing Crystal Ball as I get through the album also.

Is The Name of the Robe the 2-in-1 package ?  :biggrin:

The Name of the Rose made my DTF Top 50 so nuff said.   The Robe is unfortunately one of those albums where a terrible production job manages to ruin some good songs for me.

And yeah.......Fear The Force was a favourite back in the day.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Is The Name of the Robe the 2-in-1 package ?  :biggrin:

The Name of the Rose made my DTF Top 50 so nuff said.   The Robe is unfortunately one of those albums where a terrible production job manages to ruin some good songs for me.

And yeah.......Fear The Force was a favourite back in the day.

In the Name of the Robe.....brilliant!!  haha.  I'll have to go back and see what you wrote about Rose Brent, has always been my go to Ten album and I think head and shoulders above the rest.

Yeah, I did notice the production on the Robe was very sub par, didn't help.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't know they recorded both the first two albums together Brent.  I agree, definitely sounds like two different sessions.  Glad you think the debut is quality too.  Wait For You is definitely top 3, always wished it had a bit more of a solo though.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
A new project that will appeal to some around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SIUhNWCE8E

Songs written by the guitarist from Saffire (a band I have got a few into around here) and vox  from Altzi , Strid and Apollo.   Guests all over this thing but it's a solid lineup.   The linked song is a lot more generic AOR than Saffire but I expect/hope this is just single material.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:12:48 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au