Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568350 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I thought it was a cover of The Safety Dance. Once the singing started I quickly got bored.

Offline Lowdz

Read a review saying that there are some rockers on it. Here's hoping. There's also a track that could be a summer dance hit -  :\

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Read a review saying that there are some rockers on it. Here's hoping. There's also a track that could be a summer dance hit -  :\

Even if there is a few rockers, with this shit around it, I'm not even remotely interested.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #5008 on: September 05, 2017, 12:18:01 AM »
I had a listen to the Kryptonite album this morning out of interest.

My thoughts;

It should be called Kraptonite.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Issa haters only thread v. DelVecchio and the bubblegum factory!!
« Reply #5009 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29:49 AM »

My thoughts;

Will probably check that out shortly too.  let's see if it's at least a solid Krap.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5010 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:25 AM »

My thoughts;

Will probably check that out shortly too.  let's see if it's at least a solid Krap.  ;D

I made it through the first five songs.  Skipped through a couple more than turned it off.

I also checked out the Secret Sphere.  Haven't followed them and only have Scent of A Human Desire, but this was soft.  I don't remember them being this soft and pooftaish, if that's a term I can use haha.  Nothing worthwhile or memorable here.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5011 on: September 05, 2017, 06:26:18 AM »

My thoughts;

I made it through the first five songs.  Skipped through a couple more than turned it off.

I also checked out the Secret Sphere.  Haven't followed them and only have Scent of A Human Desire, but this was soft.  I don't remember them being this soft and pooftaish, if that's a term I can use haha.  Nothing worthwhile or memorable here.

Yeah.  Secret Sphere have some good stuff but their latest is one of the least impressive releases I've listened to this year and that's saying something.  Mostly crap/krap.

If I manage to get through the enormous pile of 2017 stuff that I need to catch up on (trying to at the moment) then I hope things improve because I think I only have 2 or 3 rankings of 90% from many dozens of albums vs a stack of good stuff last year.   I think I may have found my album of the year so far just today but I'll keep it up my sleeve as I need something for a 2017 show if I do one.  At this point nothing in my Top 5 is a well known artist and my No 1 is from a communist country.  Shows you how hard it is to find something decent :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5012 on: September 05, 2017, 06:28:45 AM »

My thoughts;

Yeah.  Secret Sphere have some good stuff but their latest is one of the least impressive releases I've listened to this year and that's saying something.  Mostly crap/krap.

If I manage to get through the enormous pile of 2017 stuff that I need to catch up on (trying to at the moment) then I hope things improve because I think I only have 2 or 3 rankings of 90% from many dozens of albums vs a stack of good stuff last year.   I think I may have found my album of the year so far just today but I'll keep it up my sleeve as I need something for a 2017 show if I do one.  At this point nothing in my Top 5 is a well known artist and my No 1 is from a communist country.  Shows you how hard it is to find something decent :lol

Gotta say mate, this isn't really a surprise haha.  Yeah, even though I've tuned out a bit, most stuff this year has been very lackluster.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5013 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:01 AM »
I never manage to do it but I am thinking about ignoring new releases in 2018 and concentrating on the thousands of good leads I already either have on my hard drive or have noted down to chase up.  Far better strike rate in that lot I am sure - I will never get through them if I keep hunting new releases.

I'll try and get on top of 2017 though as it's a nice challenge  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5014 on: September 05, 2017, 06:34:42 AM »
I never manage to do it but I am thinking about ignoring new releases in 2018 and concentrating on the thousands of good leads I already either have on my hard drive or have noted down to chase up.  Far better strike rate in that lot I am sure - I will never get through them if I keep hunting new releases.

I'll try and get on top of 2017 though as it's a nice challenge  ;D

You always seem very thorough Brent.  I'm sure there's no harm in just checking out 2018 releases from arists you would actually really like to hear new releases from.  We've just heard it all.  Not sure what bands have to do these days to get us excited again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5015 on: September 05, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
I didn't think the Secret Sphere was horrible - and bought it mostly to be a completionist.  It was certainly a step down from Portrait of a Dying Heart.  I'm a fan of Luppi's voice, so I can tolerate it.  Haven't gone back to it much tho.

I'm not really 'hunting' for new releases/bands.  I'm just checking out A) new albums from bands I already know, and B) SOME of the recommendations from you blokes.  I'm still at a pace of about 100 albums by the end of the year (I'm at 71 so far - but only purchased 21).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5016 on: September 05, 2017, 06:48:44 AM »
I don't mind Luppi's voice Chad.......I actually enjoyed the re-record they released in 2015 but this year's one I just thought the songs sounded thrown together (one or two exceptions).

Maybe I'll subcontract my hunting to you for 2018  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5017 on: September 05, 2017, 07:35:51 AM »
I'm not really 'hunting' for new releases/bands.  I'm just checking out A) new albums from bands I already know, and B) SOME of the recommendations from you blokes.  I'm still at a pace of about 100 albums by the end of the year (I'm at 71 so far - but only purchased 21).
I'm at 63 so far, and there's really only one or two more upcoming albums that I think have a chance to be any good. 2017 has blown pretty fucking hard.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5018 on: September 05, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »
I have never counted or kept track of the number of albums I've checked out in a year.  I have never thought to count to be honest.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5019 on: September 05, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
I got sent a low bitrate advance of the new H.E.A.T. .............I would've preferred to get something I expect to be good in advance but I'll give it a quick spin and deliver the bad news  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5020 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
I got sent a low bitrate advance of the new H.E.A.T. .............I would've preferred to get something I expect to be good in advance but I'll give it a quick spin and deliver the bad news  ;D

I can't see this being salvageable after what we've heard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5021 on: September 05, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Pretty sure it's going to B.L.O.W.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5022 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »

and S.U.C.K hard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5023 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
I have never counted or kept track of the number of albums I've checked out in a year.  I have never thought to count to be honest.

It's more to keep TRACK.  I'll come across an album later in the year and think 'did I try this one already'.  I like to keep track of what I've listened to, and what is worth either buying, saving on Spotify, or needs at least one more listen.  Otherwise, I'd invariably play some tripe a second time later in the year (or next year).  Seriously, I've "found" stuff that had been out for months or a year or so where I'd think 'oh, they had a release' ... check my tracking file, and realize I already listened to - and dismissed - it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5024 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »

Well yeah.   I can see what they're trying to do with this album (sell shitloads on the European pop charts) and it's done quite well if you can accept that but I can't  ;D    I imagine this is what the old H.E.A.T. sounds like crossed with Backstreet Boys , Eurovision and Coldplay.     H.E.A.T.P.L.A.Y.  ;D     I remember when Jaded Heart covered a Backstreet Boys song and did it quite well (their version of Easy Lover is okay too)  but nothing on this album rocks like that.

So the first track is a good rocker that I enjoyed (Bastards of Society).   The next track (Redefined) actually works quite well I thought , despite me not liking it when I first heard it.  Think something atmospheric like Downtown off the Address The Nation album.

Next up is the track that defines this album - Shit City  ;D   From here it's like pushing shit uphill.    Blind Leads The Blind is a good track but really I could just stick to the first two tracks and forget the rest.

68%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5025 on: September 05, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
That's disappointing Brent, but as expected.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5026 on: September 06, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »
Oh dear. Doesn't sound good.
Well, they were great for two albums.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5027 on: September 08, 2017, 05:25:42 AM »
One of Andrew McNeice's bands from his label - Fiction Syxx - is on Spotify. Sounded pretty good. Like  proggy AOR.

The Jan Akesson up next.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5028 on: September 16, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
I think this is the Classic Rock thread?

Eitherway here's a new single from Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNsFSimANzM

Pretty good, I just love Joeys voice, still going strong.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5029 on: September 17, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »

Eitherway here's a new single from Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNsFSimANzM

Pretty good, I just love Joeys voice, still going strong.

This is more the wimpy, pink n fluffy thread. Europe may have been that but not since the comeback 😀
Here we tend to discuss what shit Frontiers has put out recently and bemoan that they seem to have only two house writers...

But yeah, we discussed the Europe in the Classic Rock and Metal thread a couple of weeks ago. Decent tune. I loved the last album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5030 on: September 17, 2017, 04:44:36 AM »

This thread is whatever you want it to be.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5031 on: September 17, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
This is most definitely NOT The Classic Rock Thread!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5032 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
This is most definitely NOT The Melodic Classic Rock Thread!

Fixed.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5033 on: September 18, 2017, 05:44:51 AM »
Listening to the new Kee of Hearts and from what I remember of what Brent wrote, he's spot on.  The two singles which I really enjoyed are easily the best songs with the rest sounding as generic and samey as Del Vicchio and the Frontiers factory can churn out.  Reminds me and sounds exactly like say the Kelly Keeling or Cry of Dawn or something or a less impressive Find Me.  Another one from the Frontiers blueprint to the point.

All the solos are the same too which was disappointing.  It's just pleasant, but expected so much more.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5034 on: September 18, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5035 on: September 18, 2017, 06:22:11 PM »
This is the " but expected so much more" thread..

FIXED!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5036 on: September 19, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »
Sorted.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Factory thread v. but.......we expected so much more?! :(
« Reply #5037 on: September 19, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »
This new Revolution Saints is turning into a real disappointment, I expected so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhGPNw9iI

Celine Dion does heavier less wimpy shit than this.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5038 on: September 19, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
This new Revolution Saints is turning into a real disappointment, I expected so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78OhGPNw9iI

Celine Dion does heavier less wimpy shit than this.

Yeah, but Deen looks better than her.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5039 on: September 19, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
Just so I understand out ranking methodology (from worst to better):

Way too cheesy (look or name) to even click play
Didn't make it past 30 seconds
That was a waste of <insert time> minutes of my life
Cookie Cutter
I expected so much more
Solid
This is great - I can't believe it's on Frontiers

Sound about right?