Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572037 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #4165 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:37 AM »
I bought Narnia's debut in 1997 but never really followed up with others.  Pretty straight ahead stuff - good playing but not much variety - and a touch too preachy at times for my taste too.

That song sounds alright , so might at least check out the new one - their first in 7 years by the looks.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4166 on: June 06, 2016, 05:50:27 AM »
I knew you'd be able to fill me in Brent.  :lol

Yeah, worth a listen going by this tune, I like the singer too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4167 on: June 06, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Here's ome bullshit cliche, cheesy rock with terrible lyrics, but I quite like it, solid.  Some band called Narnia with CJ Grimmack, who is a stellar guitarist.

https://youtu.be/eJua-nolCJ0

Well, this IS The Bullshit Cliche, Cheesy Rock With Terrible Lyrics Thread isn't it?

:neverusethis:

This is the singer from Golden Resurrection which I love. I've never had a chance to follow up his Narnia career. This new album looks like it's a great place to start.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4168 on: June 06, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
Here's ome bullshit cliche, cheesy rock with terrible lyrics, but I quite like it, solid.  Some band called Narnia with CJ Grimmack, who is a stellar guitarist.

Well, this IS The Bullshit Cliche, Cheesy Rock With Terrible Lyrics Thread isn't it?

GET OUT. Your truths are unwelcome here!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4169 on: June 06, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »

This is the singer from Golden Resurrection which I love. I've never had a chance to follow up his Narnia career. This new album looks like it's a great place to start.

Again, why the fuck do you keep popping up in here?  :lol

Again though, I like the singer a lot.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:15:39 PM by wolfking »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4170 on: June 06, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »
I have the Long Live The King album. Very Yngwie influenced (when he was good) and an ok album. Not loving this song at all.singer is ok but nothing to get X cited about, and those lyrics. Fuck me they're bad.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4171 on: June 06, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Speaking of AOR i'm currently listening to some Kenny Loggins  :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4172 on: June 20, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »
This is pretty damn solid from new band featuring Pasi;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1TpGBpNRfw

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4173 on: June 20, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
I'll have to keep my eye on that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4174 on: June 20, 2016, 11:26:01 PM »
I didn't find the songwriting very good, but I'd still keep an eye out for the next single because there's potential there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4175 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:57 AM »
I didn't think the songwriting was too bad - sounds like it has enough little quirks to make them sound a bit different to the usual suspects (emphasis on "a  bit" :lol )    Having said that the vocal sound/melodies do remind me of someone that I can't put my finger on - another AOR band that is.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4176 on: June 21, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
Thought that was ok. A lot better than the Cruzh video I played the other day. That was boring. This was ok. Not that excited about it though. Liked his voice.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4177 on: June 21, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
Thought that was ok. A lot better than the Cruzh video I played the other day. That was boring. This was ok. Not that excited about it though. Liked his voice.

I didn't mind the Cruzh one. Liked the songwriting a bit more than King Company one, even though it had less balls.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4178 on: June 22, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »

I didn't mind the Cruzh one. Liked the songwriting a bit more than King Company one, even though it had less balls.

Just a band wanting to be def Leppard. And modern def Leppard, not great def Leppard.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4179 on: June 23, 2016, 12:29:21 AM »

Just a band wanting to be def Leppard. And modern def Leppard, not great def Leppard.

Every band in this thread wants to be someone else. :lol Didn't say it was great, but you can't have high standards for Frontiers music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4180 on: July 08, 2016, 06:26:33 AM »
New Eden's Curse;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAL1PBKWTfg&feature=youtu.be

What the fuck, have they turned into Sunstorm or Find Me or some shit?  Actually the new Sunstorm sounds like Soilwork compared to this.  They are not even on Frontiers!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4181 on: July 08, 2016, 06:28:37 AM »
It wishes it was as good as Find Me. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4182 on: July 08, 2016, 06:34:45 AM »
Yeah what the hell?  Symphony of Sin was a really good album, things looked so promising with the new singer, this is such a step backwards.  I hope the rest of the album isn't like this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: July 08, 2016, 06:38:56 AM »
Not sure I ever checked out their previous stuff, but this isn't the sound I associate with the name.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4184 on: July 08, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
Eden's Purse    ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:05:25 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4185 on: July 08, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »
Michael Eden will be laughing his cock off. Or he's probably still threatening them with his glock.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4186 on: July 08, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
Seriously, this is damn disappointing.

Eden's Purse    ;)

This.  I can't even defend them and say it's a European Carryall.

Fuck me, a lot of bands making me sad lately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4187 on: July 19, 2016, 06:07:49 AM »
This probably doesn't really belong here but whatever.  new DGM song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyebiLvT3k

Fuckin' good!  Mularoni is a beast!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4188 on: July 19, 2016, 06:33:37 AM »
That's not bad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4189 on: July 19, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4190 on: July 19, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
I only have one DGM album, but I think I definitely have to get more, great stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4191 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »

I was impressed. This is the first time I've ever listened to a song of theirs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: July 19, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »

I was impressed. This is the first time I've ever listened to a song of theirs.

They seem so underrated.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4193 on: July 19, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
They'll just have to go on the waiting list. Plus, I still try to listen to the new Fates and Haken a couple of times a week. Insomnium will probably prompt me to listen to some old Amorphis. Tales from the Thousand Lakes is one of my favorite albums ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4194 on: July 20, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
I only have one DGM album, but I think I definitely have to get more, great stuff.

Me to, the last one. This is a cool song. Wasn't as keen on the first one they released from this but this is a cracker.

Just listening to the new Q5 album. It's ok so far - very AC/DC and Saxon sounding. Production isn't helping and the singer has lost a lot of range it seems, though hardly surprising given their age. It's not going to set the world on fire but worth a stream.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4195 on: July 20, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
I checked out a song from the Q5 last night, thought it was terrible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4196 on: July 21, 2016, 09:34:37 AM »
Like Paul hinted , the Q5 is like a low tier Saxon album.   Something like a low 70's rating from me (won't be revisiting it) , but not as awful as I had been lead to believe either.

I have so many new releases to try and catch up on.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4197 on: July 21, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »
I've caught up on a few melodic rock ones Brent from quite a few months ago.

Sunstorm - Easily my fav and an album I keep pumping in the car.  Really like this one, it's not metal no matter what JLT thinks, but a bit harder and more of an edge to what Frontiers have been doing.  Great simple songs with brilliant guitar work.  I think the guitar work is what keeps me coming back, blistering stuff.

Vega - Not bad, but run of the mill Vega.  Didn't give it too much time but since I'm such a fan, I'll probably go back.  Not as strong in the hooks department as the last one and seems a little short, but sounds like the usual quality the band puts out, solid enough.  Could have used a few more faster numbers like the first one.

Treat - Only one listen and didn't really do much for me.  A disappointment after the brilliant Coup.  Seems a bit wimpy and light on, lacks balls.

First Signal - The samples for this one bode well but this is one fucking generic album if ever I've heard one.  Harry does his best to save it and there is a few songs but this again is just by the numbers.  The predictability of these albums they are churning out is starting to make me ill.  There is a couple of good songs but nothing that makes you want to listen again IMO.

The Defiants - Ugh, things started so well with the first three songs which reminded me heavily of Revolve which I was super excited about, then the fairy floss came out.  A couple of real stinkers in the middle to make you cringe and too many ballads towards the end.  A couple of upbeat ones at the end but not enough to keep one interested.  As I said I got the Revolve feel a little at the start with a couple of good songs but the whole thing just didn't live up, while solid enough, again not worth your time

Dynazty - I loved Renatus and still is the only album I've heard other than this new one.  I turned this off three songs before the end.  I don't think I've ever heard a band blatantly rip themselves off over and over again.  Every songs is identical to each other and many off Renatus.  This is beyond WASP territory, couldn't believe it

Soto - I loved the first one but unfortunately I'm not really digging this one.  Every song seems the same whereas the first one had more dynamics and variety.  Seems to lack energy and passion overall.  I was all for this direction but now I think I'm with Brent that JSS should stick to what he's best at.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4198 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:36 PM »
From what I recall I wasn't so hot on the Sunstorm and liked the Vega, Treat and First Signal a bit more but on the whole I agree with much of what you said.  Almost everything lately is "solid" and any ratings I give seem to be stuck in the rut of 75-82%.   To some degree I am surprised (and grateful) for the amount of new material we are getting - I thought the genre would be pretty much dead by now if you'd asked me 10 years ago.     But when it's mostly projects done via email/part time stuff that's written and recorded by artists that have lost "the fire" and have a Frontiers offer on the table..........or perhaps need an excuse to tour, then the quality thing is no surprise.   Some of the young "retro" bands are getting a bit embarrassing too  :lol  - having said that there's a few corkers in the metal space.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4199 on: July 21, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
I think the Treat has potential, will have to go back to it.  The Sunstorm took a couple of listens but something keeps drawing me back to it.  The Vega is solid and as I said I am a fan so I know they will get some spins too.  I think I'm just more into the heavier shit at the moment so most of these albums would normally get me going a lot more, but I think my tastes are just shifting a lot.

Yeah, it's hard to see this stuff keep getting churned out, but as you say the way they are made  via email etc. it's probably quite cheap compared to getting everyone together and easy to churn out this stuff, some of these albums though are just on autopilot.

Not much in the genre I'm looking forward too and I really have to start listening before purchasing these.  I purchased all of these except the Dynazty and since hearing it once, I ain't bothering.