Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 571058 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3745 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
Just got the new Find Me album, which just came out. Haven't listened to it yet though.
It's not bad.

Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far, similarly to the last one. Again it's very safe, but again also a solid listen.

I'm looking forward to it.  Although I'll have to order it online.

If you enjoyed the last one, I expect you'll enjoy this one. I think this one might be a bit more soft and '80s, but the last one was already pretty soft and '80s. :lol

No doubt I'll like it.  I thought the first one was quite brilliant actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3746 on: December 06, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »
Just had my first listen to the Find Me - like the debut it's quality (and I have always liked his voice) but it rocks less and I think it's a few killer tracks short of the first.

Solid from start to finish though.  Around 81% for me.

Fav track:  Where Do I Go?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3747 on: December 06, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »
Just had my first listen to the Find Me - like the debut it's quality (and I have always liked his voice) but it rocks less and I think it's a few killer tracks short of the first.

I agree with that assessment. Like the first album, an easy listen from start to finish, but there were more standout tracks for me on the first album. I'm still enjoying it though.
My favourite track is probably either the opener, or Midnight Memories?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3748 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
I think with these Frontiers albums it's the lack of identity that kills them for me. The bands from back n the day had their own sound, especially the guitars, and I just don't hear that anymore.
I'm not too inclined to chase these albums as it seems like it's more of the same. Might Apple Music them at some point.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3749 on: December 07, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »
Yep - and although it needs more listens I agree to a large extent with you guys about the Voodoo Circle.  In many ways it is just as derivative as the others , but it has enough soul and individuality in other parts that I think it has the potential to grow where as the others really don't.

I rated the VC 85% on first listen and it could get up to high 80's if I can spend some time with it.  Readman was starting to sound a bit stale in PC69 to me and this is a good vehicle to freshen him up for my ears.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3750 on: December 07, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
I think with these Frontiers albums it's the lack of identity that kills them for me. The bands from back n the day had their own sound, especially the guitars, and I just don't hear that anymore.
I'm not too inclined to chase these albums as it seems like it's more of the same. Might Apple Music them at some point.

I know what you mean. I know we've discussed it before several times, but it really does sound like a lot of these Frontiers albums come off the production line, same style, same production, just mix and match a few players. It makes it harder for many of these albums to really stick out from the pack.
That's why I'm pretty ruthless with their stuff. The vocalist is usually the first make or break factor, as is the production. There are some gems, but often it's not worth the sifting to find them.

Yep - and although it needs more listens I agree to a large extent with you guys about the Voodoo Circle.  In many ways it is just as derivative as the others , but it has enough soul and individuality in other parts that I think it has the potential to grow where as the others really don't.

I rated the VC 85% on first listen and it could get up to high 80's if I can spend some time with it.  Readman was starting to sound a bit stale in PC69 to me and this is a good vehicle to freshen him up for my ears.

While it's just as derivative as their previous albums, I feel like it comes more naturally to them now, like that's just their true sound, rather than sounding like covering Whitesnake songs, if that makes sense. I'd rate it a 9/10 (I can't split hairs for percentages). As I said, I love this album, and this is one I'll be listening to for a long time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3751 on: December 07, 2015, 01:29:13 PM »
The Frontiers stuff doesn't interest me as much as it did a few years ago, but at least they are slowing it down a bit lately.  I'll always listen though but am harder to please these days.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3752 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
Just finishing a listen to Blood Red Saints - pretty much ditto what I thought about Find Me and Khymera (minus a couple of % points).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:04:20 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3753 on: December 07, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »
What I expected. I didn't mind the style and writing on the Blood Red Saints single(s), but the vocals were too pitch corrected for my taste which put me off bothering with the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3754 on: December 08, 2015, 04:26:07 AM »
I probably won't bother with that one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3755 on: December 14, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
A new Last in Line song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjau_WN2v3U

Sounds like they're trying a high speed Dio rocker, but I don't find it very catchy or memorable.
I love the production, the vocals, and the energy, but the songwriting is lacking so far for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3756 on: December 14, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
A new Last in Line song.

Sounds like they're trying a high speed Dio rocker, but I don't find it very catchy or memorable.
I love the production, the vocals, and the energy, but the songwriting is lacking so far for me.

I found this Last in Line song to be much better then the first one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3757 on: December 14, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »
Just posted about it in the Hard a Rock / metal thread. A step up from the last song. As blob says great vocal. I liked the solo. It's missing the keys though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3758 on: December 14, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
A new Last in Line song.

I found this Last in Line song to be much better then the first one.

I thought the first song was better written, but I'm hoping for more songs in the style of the second one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3759 on: December 14, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
Will have to check it out later at home.  Wasn't a fan of the first song, but I only listened to it once.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3760 on: December 15, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »
A new Last in Line song.

Pretty much agree with you Blob, wow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3761 on: December 17, 2015, 04:44:23 AM »
Another Nordic Union song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2I0Be8A5RU

This one is basically a rip off of Brothers in Arms from the first WET cd.  I don't know why this is pissing me off so much, so blatant.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3762 on: December 17, 2015, 05:17:08 AM »
Thankfully, I don't know enough of W.E.T., so it ain't gonna bother me.  Decent enough song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3763 on: December 17, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
Another Nordic Union song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2I0Be8A5RU

This one is basically a rip off of Brothers in Arms from the first WET cd.  I don't know why this is pissing me off so much, so blatant.

Youre spot on Kade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3764 on: December 17, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »
Thanks Paul, it's really annoying me actually.

Thankfully, I don't know enough of W.E.T., so it ain't gonna bother me.  Decent enough song.

That's a plus for you, but someone that knows the first album well, this is quite laughable.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3765 on: December 19, 2015, 05:36:32 AM »
Erik Gronwall (solo) from H.E.A.T. has been added to the Aussie Melodicrockfest..........that might just swing it for me.  I'm not over the moon about the line up as a whole but he's a crazy (in a good way) live performer and , along with Eclipse, Laine, Malloy on the Saturday , it's now looking pretty decent value.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3766 on: December 20, 2015, 03:16:58 AM »
What's he gonna do solo?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3767 on: December 20, 2015, 05:19:21 AM »
What's he gonna do solo?

Generally what they will do there is use one of the other bands (Eclipse etc,....) as a "house band" for him.  I would expect there might be some H.E.A.T. tunes mixed in with some covers. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3768 on: December 20, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »
What's he gonna do solo?

Generally what they will do there is use one of the other bands (Eclipse etc,....) as a "house band" for him.  I would expect there might be some H.E.A.T. tunes mixed in with some covers.

He has a couple of solo albums prior to joining H.E.A.T and after Swedish idol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3769 on: December 20, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
If he wants anyone to have a hope of singing along (or not taking a pee break) I would suggest the covers  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3770 on: December 20, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »
What's he gonna do solo?

He has a couple of solo albums prior to joining H.E.A.T and after Swedish idol

Huh, no shit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3771 on: December 21, 2015, 06:53:14 AM »
If he wants anyone to have a hope of singing along (or not taking a pee break) I would suggest the covers  :)

Indeed.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3772 on: December 21, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »
Not sure if this fits best here... but new Cheap Trick! - "No Direction"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3773 on: December 28, 2015, 04:07:54 AM »
Got the new Find Me and to be honest on the first listen I was pretty disappointed with the lack of the heavy edge that was present throughout the first album and the more 80's commercial AOR direction. 

On repeated listens though, I have completely changed my mind.  This is just good AOR that Frontiers use to produce consistently.  It is as I said very 80's commercial sounding, but well written, fresh and even though it's certainly nothing new, it doesn't have that generic feel that a lot of Frontiers stuff has been guilty of lately.  Sounds like there has been a bit of an effort put here and the whole thing is well produced, and of course Robbie sounds great.  Production nice too.  Frontiers restoring the faith here, good to see, good album. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3774 on: December 28, 2015, 04:24:33 AM »
I wish the album retained a bit of the harder edge, but the first album wasn't exactly heavy anyway, so there wasn't a huge divide.
I just listened to the new one again today actually, and I'd say it's almost as strong as the last one. Both albums are easy to listen to start to finish. In terms of production and style, the new one feels a bit more standard Frontiers to me, but Robbie's vocals and the strength of the songwriting still set it apart above the rest I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3775 on: December 28, 2015, 04:37:48 AM »
Yeah, I think both are at the same quality, just different all round.  But you're right, the first one wasn't really heavy at all, it just gives more of a melodic rock vibe whereas this is a straight AOR vibe. 

The Kenny Loggins cover is fantastic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3776 on: December 28, 2015, 04:44:12 AM »
There's a Kenny Loggins cover on there? I''m guessing track 12. It sounds super duper '80s and slightly different in style to the rest.

I think the mix on the first album also helped make it sound slightly heavier. Both albums sound good though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3777 on: December 28, 2015, 04:51:57 AM »
Yep, track 12, I'm Free.  Great track.  Was in Footloose I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, both sound great indeed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: December 28, 2015, 04:57:07 AM »
I thought it sounded vaguely familiar, but thought it was just the '80s sound throwing me. Should have figured it was a cover.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3779 on: December 28, 2015, 05:06:54 AM »
Guess I should check it out.  I remember thinking the first was a good listen, but nothing wow-worthy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion