Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570897 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3710 on: November 20, 2015, 04:34:30 AM »
New inglorious track. They certainly rock more than I was expecting. Nothing pink and fluffy here.

https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-11-19/inglorious-release-until-i-die-video

Meh, so unoriginal.

The riff I'm sure is an Audioslave riff or something.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3711 on: November 30, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
Andrew from mr.com is about to announce a MRfest in Melbourne..........you might need to make that trip down Kade  :metal

Having said that I am struggling to think who he can get locally who is going to appeal to me - unless he has got Roxus back together.  That would be a trip.

I can almost guarantee it'll be current local bands like Radio Sun (who don't interest me) , but no idea who the old timers and overseas bands might be.  Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3712 on: November 30, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
I can't imagine it being worth bringing down any of the overseas bands given the niche appeal. Most of these bands probably barely tour outside of their own country as it is.
I'm not familiar with the local offerings, but it's cool that they're trying it out at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: November 30, 2015, 07:55:51 PM »
I can't see any big overseas bands making it out but possibly 2nd tier guys who have spent a lot of time (or lived)in Australia..................Paul Laine, Mike Tramp etc....

I still can't believe I didn't bother to go and see Winger/Ratt on tour in 2007  :\  but bands of that calibre likely won't be coming for what is effectively a large pub gig.

I have fingers and toes crossed he can lure Jeff Scott Soto back out here.........then I would be going fo' sho'.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3714 on: November 30, 2015, 08:05:39 PM »
It will be interesting to see what they pull together in terms of venue and line-up. The payment for most bands will probably be a free boat ride here, and some food stamps.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3715 on: November 30, 2015, 08:10:09 PM »
You never know what bands might look at it as a 'break-even' or compensated vacation/trip to Oz.  I always wonder how many bands that tour NA do it for that reason.  For instance, the Kamelot show I went to the other night... no way there were more than 300 people there.  Hard to know how the venue staff, band, and crew all got paid.  Gate + merch + alcohol couldn't have justified it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3716 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
We already know the venue...........it's an old British style pub in St Kilda with a stage/function room.  At a guess it could squeeze in 400 people so that's about the scale of it.  These days some of the big 80's hair bands can struggle to draw 500 people in the US, so that's not as small as it might sound I suppose :lol

And yeah...........some of the artists who have been heavily promoted by Andrew over the years might do it for a paid holiday to support him.

He's going to try selling VIP packages , so he better have someone with some profile or it'll fall flat.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:38:37 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3717 on: November 30, 2015, 08:14:42 PM »
You never know what bands might look at it as a 'break-even' or compensated vacation/trip to Oz.  I always wonder how many bands that tour NA do it for that reason.  For instance, the Kamelot show I went to the other night... no way there were more than 300 people there.  Hard to know how the venue staff, band, and crew all got paid.  Gate + merch + alcohol couldn't have justified it.

Although I was joking, that's kinda what I was hinting at. I can't imagine it's worth it for money alone given the appeal of these bands and the size of the show.
There are many bands that have toured here that I doubt make a profit, playing to a couple of hundred people in a bar or uni.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3718 on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »

Although I was joking, that's kinda what I was hinting at. I can't imagine it's worth it for money alone given the appeal of these bands and the size of the show.
There are many bands that have toured here that I doubt make a profit, playing to a couple of hundred people in a bar or uni.

Yeah, I see that now - I must've missed the "another post" warning when I posted mine.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3719 on: November 30, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
I actually thought you were replying to my post anyway.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3720 on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
I actually thought you were replying to my post anyway.

Yeah, you're right.  That's what I was doing.     ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: November 30, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »
That's what I thought.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3722 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:32 AM »
If the lineup was worth it, a trip down Brent could be a possibility.  As already discussed though, it's hard to see who they will get that would make it a high profile show.  They would have to branch out and go for your more Lord, Vanishing Point, Black Majesty type bands aswell you'd think.  I think they would only get one big act from overseas, maybe two, but you think it would be a lot of local, unsigned acts too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3723 on: December 01, 2015, 04:06:18 AM »
I would be surprised Kade if he goes down the power metal track.   He has ruled out JSS for this one .   I'd like to think he might be able to pull off something like Danger Danger but we'll see.

I'll stick with my Paul Laine/Radio Sun and Mike Tramp predictions and see if I snag one of those  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3724 on: December 01, 2015, 04:15:22 AM »
Radio Sun is a definite.  But remember, Steve from Black Majesty plays in that band so you never know.  But you're probably right.

I just don't see how he'd fill two days of quality, but you never know. 

Maybe he can get WOA, we'd all love that. I definitely get there.  ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3725 on: December 01, 2015, 04:41:11 AM »

That might work -we only need to hear one song and then we can piss off to the bar :lol .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3726 on: December 01, 2015, 04:46:24 AM »

That might work -we only need to hear one song and then we can piss off to the bar :lol .

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3727 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »
I'd come down too, if the line up were strong enough.
Local bands would be cheaper, Vanishing Point and Eyefear are both from the Melbourne area.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3728 on: December 02, 2015, 04:07:52 AM »
I'd come down too, if the line up were strong enough.
Local bands would be cheaper, Vanishing Point and Eyefear are both from the Melbourne area.

Yeah man, he'd have to go down the path of these bands to make it worthwhile, surely.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3729 on: December 04, 2015, 03:05:05 AM »
mrfest roster for Melbourne..................plenty there that I have no real interest in but Vanishing Point, Paul Laine, Black Majesty (acoustic only :(  ) ,Mitch Malloy, White Widdow are probably worth the coin.

FRIDAY MAY 13 (from 5pm)(Acoustic/Electric):
($35)

Kaato (full band set)
Vanishing Point (full band set)
Tonk (full band set)
Paul Laine (unplugged)
Black Majesty (exclusive unplugged set)
The Radio Sun (unplugged)

+ Special Guest/s to be announced!

SATURDAY MAY 14 (from 2pm):
($65)

Eclipse
Paul Laine
Mitch Malloy
BB Steal
White Widdow
The Radio Sun
Serpentine Sky
Teargas

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3730 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:47 AM »
I've never heard of any of those bands before. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3731 on: December 04, 2015, 03:12:11 AM »
The only one I've really heard of is Eclipse. Nothing of interest to me in the lineup, but the price isn't bad if you're into it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3732 on: December 04, 2015, 03:14:48 AM »
I've never heard of any of those bands before.

Most of the ones I listed are underground melodic rock , but I thought you would know Black Majesty/Vanishing Point.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3733 on: December 04, 2015, 04:46:18 AM »
Wow, Eclipse, that's cool.

Vanishing Point I've seen live and are entertaining.  Clack Majesty acoustic is a fucking joke though. White Widdow are pretty cool though.  The $65 for the Saturday is a good price.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3734 on: December 04, 2015, 04:59:34 AM »
So should I prepare Melbourne for the wolfking?  ;D  And Clack Majesty? :lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:10:21 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3735 on: December 04, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »
Nah, not with that.  Put VP on the Saturday and add another band and you may have my interest.

Seriously, Black Majesty acoustic, what the fuck?!  Saying that the acoustic version of Guardian on the second album is decent enough.  They might just play Six Ribbons over and over again.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3736 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:17 AM »
yeah ............I get that.   My sister is pretty into most of my music but she wouldn't have heard of anyone bar Paul Laine.   Normally I would be able to put together a little group to support the gig but it's a bit hard to convince people to pay up for bands they've never heard of.  Most of those local bands don't interest me , although White Widdow are pretty good.

And there's 100 VIP passes but I reckon for that you need at least a 2nd tier name like a Danger Danger or Jeff Scott Soto.  I'm pretty big into underground melodic rock but I really couldn't be stuffed paying to hang out with Erik Martensson to be honest.   Paul Laine is good value I hear but I'm having to motivate myself to go , which ain't a great sign.  I hope it does well for Andrew and I will try and make the Saturday but I don't know how he'll go getting 400 people in there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: December 04, 2015, 05:23:47 AM »
I'm pretty big into underground melodic rock but I really couldn't be stuffed paying to hang out with Erik Martensson to be honest.

:lol  That made me laugh for some reason.  Just tell him to work with Toby Hitchcock and that's about it haha.

You're right though, another name like JSS, D2 or Winger and then we're talking.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3738 on: December 04, 2015, 05:27:15 AM »
Just got the new Find Me album, which just came out. Haven't listened to it yet though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3739 on: December 04, 2015, 05:32:05 AM »
Just got the new Find Me album, which just came out. Haven't listened to it yet though.
It's not bad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3740 on: December 04, 2015, 06:03:05 AM »
It's not bad.

Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far, similarly to the last one. Again it's very safe, but again also a solid listen.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3741 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:20 PM »
yeah ............I get that.   My sister is pretty into most of my music but she wouldn't have heard of anyone bar Paul Laine.   Normally I would be able to put together a little group to support the gig but it's a bit hard to convince people to pay up for bands they've never heard of.  Most of those local bands don't interest me , although White Widdow are pretty good.

And there's 100 VIP passes but I reckon for that you need at least a 2nd tier name like a Danger Danger or Jeff Scott Soto.  I'm pretty big into underground melodic rock but I really couldn't be stuffed paying to hang out with Erik Martensson to be honest.   Paul Laine is good value I hear but I'm having to motivate myself to go , which ain't a great sign.  I hope it does well for Andrew and I will try and make the Saturday but I don't know how he'll go getting 400 people in there.

Have you heard the Serpentine Sky yet? It's straight out of 1985. Kinda like where Bon Jovi would've gone after 7800 F without des child and  Bruce fairburn. I like it. Singer sounds like a cross between JBJ and Eric Martin.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3742 on: December 04, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Just sampled a song or two and thought it was alright. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3743 on: December 04, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
One for me to check out then.

It's not bad.

Yeah. I'm enjoying it so far, similarly to the last one. Again it's very safe, but again also a solid listen.

I'm looking forward to it.  Although I'll have to order it online.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3744 on: December 04, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
It's not bad.

I'm looking forward to it.  Although I'll have to order it online.

If you enjoyed the last one, I expect you'll enjoy this one. I think this one might be a bit more soft and '80s, but the last one was already pretty soft and '80s. :lol