Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572935 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3220 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:37 AM »
I listen primarily on my iPod at 128. I can't tell the difference between 128/256/320.

To my ears 128 sound like AM radio with a pillow muffling the sound, in other words bloody terrible.
I really hate having 'good' ears and buying bloody CD's all the time, has cost me a fortune  ;D

I might have a few less of these:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: April 24, 2015, 12:37:54 AM »
To me that Cains Offering sounds like it's coming at me through a pillow gaz .........so loud on the production that it's a real mess IMO - if the YT clip is representative of the sound.   I'm not fazed anyway - this sort of drum-athon style happy power metal really ain't my thing in most cases.

I love Kotipelto but I much rather what he's doing with Stratovarius these days.

As far as CDs go I've slowed to a crawl - maybe half a dozen a year.  Not enough new releases sound good enough for me to bother and sometimes due to the mastering the mp3 actually sounds better.  I'm roughly half/half now -something like 2500 CDs and not too much less in digital.   The digital has caught up very quick these last few years.  All my real faves are on CD though - purchased "back in the day."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:46:30 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3222 on: April 24, 2015, 04:20:15 AM »
Yeah I really don't like YT at all for new studio stuff, it's compressed audio to start with, then add on the YT compression and it starts to get a little messy.

To me, Kotipelto is singing better than ever and the first Cain's Offering was one of his best performances in the studio.
It also helps that without Tolkki (not making him sing to high anymore), that his Strato singing is also very good.

I've really cut down on CD's too, only a few per month now, I'm buying vinyl again too.
I could never go the digital only route, I like the feel of the CD and reading the booklet and of course the superior quality to mp3.
I think that pic might be a couple years old and shot when I first moved into my current residence.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: April 25, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
OK Blob..........I'll try and get my thoughts on Peterik/Scherer into something half coherent.

Cheesaholics:  78%
Cheesophobics:  68%
Me (in the middle): 73%
mr.com: 95%  ;)

:hat
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3224 on: April 25, 2015, 06:35:12 AM »
To be fair, by saying 95%, you were guaranteed to be within 5% of any mr.com rating. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: April 25, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »
Just admit it man - I risked everything with that prediction  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: April 25, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »
:lol You risked nothing, and you know it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3227 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »
Must be a Melodicrock.com revue. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3228 on: April 26, 2015, 03:39:34 AM »
95?  Good lord, my respect for that site is getting lower and lower. 

Just saw Kiske/Somerville got a lower score than that one too.  Wow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: April 27, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »
About to have a listen to the new Poodles.  I really like the last 2.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »
About to have a listen to the new Poodles.  I really like the last 2.

The opening track Before I Die is a belter but beyond that I thought it was very solid without being anything brilliant.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
That opening track was a cracker.  You're right, the second track dips a little in quality.  The last two were nothing really spectacular either, just solid, cathy tunes.  I'm not expecting that much from this.

I'm buying cheap digital copies of everything now and that will determine if I buy something on cd, except for certain artists, which will always be first day purchases.  Man, times change.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: April 27, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
The Poodles was just that, solid.  Although the last three tracks I thought were really well written and enjoyable.  It gets a bit lost in the middle though.  Still solid, not sure how I'd rank it compared to the last two.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3233 on: April 28, 2015, 06:15:07 AM »
New Serpentine;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ce99xsKimg

New singer is pretty boring and shit, but for some reason I don't mind this.  Gary Hughes produced it, but sounds like he cleary wrote this song.  Would have sounded better with him singing it, obviously sounds like his range, not this fella.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: April 28, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
That's a pretty cool tune.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3235 on: April 29, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
Just given the new Bonfire a listen. No Claus Lessman this time - David Reece is on vocals and I liked it on first listen. Needs more plays but a promising start. The vocals give a bit of a Southern Rock feel. Lyrics aren't anything to write home about...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3236 on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:26 PM »
Just given the new Bonfire a listen. No Claus Lessman this time - David Reece is on vocals and I liked it on first listen. Needs more plays but a promising start. The vocals give a bit of a Southern Rock feel. Lyrics aren't anything to write home about...

I intend checking that one out shortly.  The previews that I've heard sounded good , but nothing much like Bonfire.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Another new one that I hope to check out soon is called Riot On Mars.  I understand that it's very retro rock sounding so I'm not sure how it'll go down but it's essentially a solo album by Barry Sparks (Dokken, Schenker, Malmsteen) where he's playing bass + everything else and with Mike Vescera on vocals.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »
I'd be interested in that one.  Great vocalist.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3239 on: April 30, 2015, 03:51:14 AM »
Mike Vescera is a great vocalist

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3240 on: April 30, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

I intend checking that one out shortly.  The previews that I've heard sounded good , but nothing much like Bonfire.

Had another listen today and it stands up. I guess it's not very Bonfire-y but not a million miles away. Certainly David Reece gives it a bluesier, southern rock edge than Claus would have. Some good songs there though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3241 on: May 03, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
The new Cain's Offering is alright. I'm not into cookie cutter Power Metal anymore(besides older Kamelot and some older Sonata Arctica) but this isn't bad.

EDIT: I think it's because it sounds exactly like old Sonata Arctica that I like it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:12:17 PM by Zook »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: May 03, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
I'm an expecting just that, a solid enjoyable power metal outing.  I'll definitely purchase this one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3243 on: May 03, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
Seeing as we're discussing Cain's Offering here I'll give my initial thoughts.  I came into this one expecting to be totally underwhelmed as ,in my mind , they represent the cookie cutter happy power metal side of Stratovarius that I don't like (and I love Strato - just their more powerful side).  So I'll say that it was a bit of an upside surprise.

The first three tracks were exactly as expected and had me fearing the worst but from track 4 onward I thought it really picked up.  It's certainly nothing special , and I've heard this sort of stuff a million times before, but there is a lot more variety in pace than I was expecting. I would also say that although the lows are lower , the highs are also higher than on the Kamelot.  And so , although the scores are in the same ballpark , I'm much more likely to return to the Cain's Offering. 

Favorite tracks:

I Will Build You A Rome - just for the 1 minute or so where they added some balls - all too short though.  Had the potential to be a great track

Too Tired To Run: nice enough ballad.

My Heart Beats For No One -  my fave and well above what I was expecting.  This sounds a lot like Nemesis era Strato  which surprised me - even down to the guitar sound.

Antemortem is good but sounds way too much like leftover Nightwish.  The opening riff is so Nightwish it's ridiculous.

The last few tracks are also quite consistent and end the album on a solid note.

The sound.........not great but clearly better than the Kamelot.  At least I could hear the guitars through the mud.

All in all.......better than expected and I rate it 74%
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:40:47 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3244 on: May 03, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
I agree regarding Stormcrow. Some of the songs are just generic power metal and pretty boring, but some of the songs rise above that. My Heart Beats For No One was the highlight of the album for me aswell.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3245 on: May 04, 2015, 03:56:10 AM »
Sure it's nothing new to the power metal genre. But for my ears it's just so well done.
It has the spark that Sonata Arctica used to have and lost when Jani left.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
It has the spark that Sonata Arctica used to have and lost when Jani left.

I felt that about the first album.  Quite looking forward to it.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3247 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:26 PM »
lol at that Nightwish riff on the new Cain's Offering. That's like their signature riff. They must have known.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: May 05, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »
Actually not sure if I should fork out the cash right away to get this.  Man, I've changed.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3249 on: May 05, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Get Ellie Goulding's first 2 albums instead. That's if you like pop music, of course.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: May 05, 2015, 10:03:16 PM »
Get Ellie Goulding's first 2 albums instead. That's if you like pop music, of course.

I'll have to google who that is bro.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: May 06, 2015, 04:03:34 PM »
Hey Brent, have you heard anything from the new Ten album that's suppose to be out within 2 weeks?  You think we'd be able to hear something so close to the release date.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: May 07, 2015, 02:07:43 AM »
Try this Kade

https://youtu.be/njxgN1w-JbY

I haven't listened to it myself as yet and I haven't heard anything else from the album.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: May 07, 2015, 02:09:26 AM »
It sounds like someone recorded vocals and guitars over a MIDI file.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #3254 on: May 07, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
As much as I want to disagree, you're spot on, it sounds terrible
the compression is so bad.

Then the lyrics, they are even worse.