Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564384 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
That sampler sounds pretty damn good.

Good to hear that the new JSS is pretty good.  i didn't rate Beautiful Mess at all, not my thing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2012, 04:23:35 AM »
Lowdz, I got Blessed By a Broken Heart a couple of days ago.  Not normally my style, but enjoyed the album quite a lot.

Also, ordered all 3 HEAT albums.  The first two were only $8, and I got Address the Nation for $13.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
Lowdz, I got Blessed By a Broken Heart a couple of days ago.  Not normally my style, but enjoyed the album quite a lot.

Also, ordered all 3 HEAT albums.  The first two were only $8, and I got Address the Nation for $13.

Yeah I don't go for the screamo stuff but it's used sparingly on this album. From YT their older stuff has more of it so I'm not so inclined to work backwards.

That's a bargain on the Heat albums. There is a special edition with both early albums together- was that the one you got? Didn't rate the 1st one at all. The second was better but nothing that makes me want to reach for it. ATN is playing at the moment. Very good.
Waiting for the new trixter to arrive- samples sound good. Their second (Hear) was a great album so hoping it's in that vein.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:21 AM »
The first two HEAT albums were $7.95 each, or they had the special edition with both for $19.95, so it was cheaper to get them separate. I wouldn't have got them if they were any dearer just based on your opinions.

I'm actually really digging the Blessed By A Broken Heart.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
The first two HEAT albums were $7.95 each, or they had the special edition with both for $19.95, so it was cheaper to get them separate. I wouldn't have got them if they were any dearer just based on your opinions.

I'm actually really digging the Blessed By A Broken Heart.

Yeah it surprised the hell out of me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:27 AM »
Not that Jorn fits this thread, but I figure not many around here would really care;

Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release of a brand new Jorn studio album: Bring Heavy Rock To The Land on June 1st in Europe and June 5 in North America.
Following a three year silence since the release of "Spirit Black", Jorn unleashes upon the world yet another original studio album "Bring Heavy Rock To The Land": another slab of classic Hard Rock with Metal elements! "I think this album follows a similar Jorn-tradition like those before, more Heavy Rock oriented than Metal" says Jorn "But as usual it's not one musical expression all the way through the album, but a variety of musical landscapes within the categories of Rock and Metal".
A winning formula should not change, so Jorn has again worked with Tommy Hansen at Jailhouse Studios in Denmark, who mixed the album, ensuring the right edge to the rich guitar and vocal sound that is now trademark to all Jorn releases. The lineup sees the return of Jimmy Iversen on guitar who also appeared on "Spirit Black". The pairing with Tore Moren works really well and gives Jorn's sound the usual depth and solidity.

As usual, in addition to the original material, Jorn offers some interesting covers. This time Masterplan's "Time to Be King" and Christopher Cross' "Ride Like The Wind" are the ones to get the Jorn treatment. "When we wrote "Time To Be King" I heard a different and more rock oriented arrangement in my mind" tells Jorn, "so after the Masterplan album was released I couldn't stop thinking about how it would sound if it was recorded with this other arrangement. I don't know which one's better, I have ended up liking both versions. As to Christopher Cross, I have always loved "West Coast" oriented music and bands like 10cc, Pages, Santana, Little River Band, Eagles and so on. So I thought "Ride Like The Wind" would be a good song to do Jorn style. Saxon also released a version of this song in the 80's, and the arrangement we made ended up being a mix between the original version and Saxon's. It's also a fun song to sing and play".
Jorn Lande's strong and diverse voice and solid songwriting skills have now become legendary in the Hard Rock world. In a career spanning over close to 40 album releases, as frontman for Ark and Masterplan, in addition to featuring on spectacular projects such as Nostradamus The Rock Opera, Beyond Twilight "The Devil's Hall of Fame", Tobias Sammet's "Avantasia" and Ayreon.
"If you buy a Jorn album today, you know what you will get" states Jorn Lande. You are guaranteed to get your adrenaline going with the riveting sound that has solid roots in classic hard rock/heavy metal music, such as Dio, Black Sabbath, Rainbow and Whitesnake.

Bring Heavy Rock To The Land will include the following songs: My Road; Bring Heavy Rock To The Land; A Thousand Cuts; Ride Like The Wind; Chains Around You; The World I See; Time To Be King; Ride To The Guns; Black Morning; I Came To Rock; Live And Let Fly (bonus track).

The title track Bring Heavy Rock To The Land will be released as a single worldwide on May 14 and can be exclusively listened to in streaming on the Frontiers Records webradio www.frontiers.it/webradio - A videoclip for the song is in the works and will be directed by Thomas Tjäder (Pretty Maids, In Flames). According to Jorn: "The title track has really a strong Jorn trademark. It was a natural choice for a title track, I felt the same about "Lonely Are The Brave" back in 2008. Sometimes one song's got the magic and you just know it. "Bring Heavy Rock To The Land" is such a song and regardless of how the whole album is evaluated by critics, I feel that this song will live on and become an essential Jorn classic!"
Jorn will appear live in selected shows in Europe during the summer.
Jorn: Jorn Lande: vocals, Willy Bendiksen: drums, Nic Angileri: bass, Tore Moren: guitar, Jimmy Iversen: guitar.
WebLinks: www.jornlande.com.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »
:omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:

Smile in my pants!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
:omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:

Smile in my pants!

same here :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:  :omg:   :caffeine:

:P :D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
he's done some good stuff but I'm far from a fan. I don't buy in to the son of Dio thing either. He's a good metal singer with average metal songs on his own. With Ark he was great, Masterplan was ok, and I enjoy hearing him cover other artists but solo he doesn't do it for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
Looking forward to this too.  Ride Like The Wind?  Oh yes!!!

Spirit Black was really impressive too.  I still miss Jorn Viggo's guitar though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
Love everything with Jorn's voice. Some of the solo stuff was just average, but by and large, I love pretty much everything.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »
Yeah, I've followed his solo career for years.  I can see why some would think some of his solo work is average, but personally I like his style of hard rock, where most of his solo projects are either power metal or somewhat prog.

Saying that, Burn the Sun is by far the best think he's ever done, followed by Beyond Twilight and Masterplan.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:47 AM »
I only have the first Masterplan disc, all the Allen-Lande discs, and the Jorn/Dio tribute disc.  Love them all.  Haven't heard much else of his solo or Ark material.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
Just remembered his contributions to Avantasia- that was very good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 22, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »

This is absolutely kicking my ass, simply amazing album!!   :hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
 >:( >:(   :censored :censored

This abstaining from new music sucks. Yet another to put on the radar (which is getting very crowded)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: April 22, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
You're going to get a barrage of new musuc my friend once your roulette starts!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »
And plenty of new stuff on the horizon- trixter, Tyketto, Crazy Lixx, Hardline. Hoping for good things there.

The BBABH is very good, isn't it. Glad I sought them out after Andrew's average review on Mr.com.

Still playing the shit out of the Dynazty though.  :hefdaddy :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:30 AM »
It makes me wonder how many times he actually spun the cd before giving his review.  It's a fantastic cd.  Heard a bit of the new Tyketto, Crazy Lixx and Trixter but none of these really interests me that much.  I might get the Tyketto cause I enjoy Danny Vaughn.

Hardline on the other hand I cannot wait for.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:55 AM »
https://www.melodicrock.com/

Looks like melodic rock is in trouble again.

To be honest, I have never brought one of those compilations, because basically I don't see the point.  I might donate $20 or something though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2012, 04:49:25 AM »
Feel for the guy, but I don't go there enough to compel me to donate.  I might try some of the compilation CDs though.  Good way to check out some bands that I don't know a lot about.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:04 AM »
Feel for the guy, but I don't go there enough to compel me to donate.  I might try some of the compilation CDs though.  Good way to check out some bands that I don't know a lot about.

Good point.  If I'm willing to donate I might as well pick up a cd or two and get my moneys worth, I just hate compilations though of any kind.

The melodic rock records site also is absolute shit.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
Yeah I go there enough that I usually donate, and I've bought some of the cds. It's a difficult time for everybody.

Gave the Crazy Lixx a listen today whilst driving and it seemed pretty good. The only thing I noticed missing was the Chris Laney production that lifted the last album into the great category. This one seemed a bit flat in that department. I do like the singer's voice though.
From what I've heard of the Tyketto it sounds good too. Danny Vaughn always sounds good.

Have you heard of Casablanca? Yet another rock band from Scandinavia. A bit sleazy but the most noticable comparison for me is 70s Thin Lizzy, though not with Phil singing. Ryan Roxie is in the band. Again, pretty good. It's turning into a good year already for Melodic Rock.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »
Haven't heard of that band, yet another band for me to check out.

I think I will get the Tyketto, the samples sound alright.

Right now, Blessed For A Broken Heart is taking up all of my time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #339 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »
Haven't heard of that band, yet another band for me to check out.

I think I will get the Tyketto, the samples sound alright.

Right now, Blessed For A Broken Heart is taking up all of my time.

I know. too much new music, so little time to appreciate it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »

This album is absolutely killer.  Anyone remotely interested in melodic rock/AOR or Jeff Scott Soto should pick this album up.  Takes a few listens to get your head around things since there is a lot of material but everything on this album is killer.  Deluxe version is the shit as the three bonus tracks are as good and better than some of the regular album tracks.  Great guitar solos through this also.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
Who is in JSS's band?

Wolf, I was listening to Yngwie's Marching Out last week and I forgot how awesome JSS is on it.
I don't know how "melodic" I want to get,but what would you recommend as the heaviest album that JSS has sung on?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
The first Yngwie and especially Marching Out rule!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »
Who is in JSS's band?

Wolf, I was listening to Yngwie's Marching Out last week and I forgot how awesome JSS is on it.
I don't know how "melodic" I want to get,but what would you recommend as the heaviest album that JSS has sung on?

I would think an Axel Rudi Pell album would be his heaviest (Black Moon Pyramid would be my recommendation from the JSS years), though I think there is a Nu-Metal album by him out there, can't recall the name though as I'm not interested. I think he's stayed away from the Metal side in recent years.
The Humanimal (band) album is very good in his heavy vein though, I can recommend that, or even the Soul Sirkus album with Neil Schon.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: April 26, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
Yeah lowdz is probably right, something from ARP.  JSS has never really gotten that heavy,  Soul Sirkis was okay.  7 from Talisman had a few heavy moments too if I remember.

His band on the album is mostly more unknown people and guys in his touring band, but all perfromances are very impressive.  Dave Meniketti makes an appearance as does Mike from Y&T.  Casey Grillo makes an appearance too as does Joel Hoekstra from Night Ranger.  All performances are killer.

It's not overly heavy but the WET project is by far one of the best things he's ever done.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
Yeah lowdz is probably right, something from ARP.  JSS has never really gotten that heavy,  Soul Sirkis was okay.  7 from Talisman had a few heavy moments too if I remember.

His band on the album is mostly more unknown people and guys in his touring band, but all perfromances are very impressive.  Dave Meniketti makes an appearance as does Mike from Y&T.  Casey Grillo makes an appearance too as does Joel Hoekstra from Night Ranger.  All performances are killer.

It's not overly heavy but the WET project is by far one of the best things he's ever done.

Wolfie could be right. I like most of his Talisman albums tbh.

This could be his best album ever though... He out-Coverdale's Coverdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zf_PyXIKes

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
Meanwhile, over at Melodicrock.com:

The Best Of MelodicRock Records - Volume 1 FREE DOWNLOAD!

Tracks:

01) Jimi Jamison & Jim Peterik - Dream Higher
02) Degreed - A Little Bit
03) Chris Antblad - When Fools Rush In
04) Fenrik Lane - Going Nowhere
05) Taxxi - It Ain't Over
06) All I Know - Asphyxia
07) Gary Schutt - Carry Me Away
08) Andreas Novak - Highway To Anywhere
09) Jim Peterik - She's Nothing To Me (JP & Thom Griffin Vocal)
10) Riverdogs - World Gone Mad
11) Fenrik Lane - Hot Lips
12) All I Know - Turn Back
13) Degreed - My Fall
14) Violet Sun - Inside Out
15) Chris Antblad - A Fire Burning
16) Infinity - Christine
17) Andreas Novak - Part Of Your Plan
18) 7th Heaven - Affair Of The Heart
19) Taxxi - Writing On The Wall
20) Infinity - I'm On The Edge

Download ZIP File

I ordered the three compilations he still has, and then noticed this was on the front page.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
Thanks Chad, downloading now, didn't see that the other day.

I still may order a compilation or 2.

Wolfie could be right. I like most of his Talisman albums tbh.

This could be his best album ever though... He out-Coverdale's Coverdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zf_PyXIKes

Yeah. all Talisman is excellent, great band.  The Five Men Live DVD is absolutely amazing.  Still sad about Marcel.

That song is killer, I'll have to try and hunt that one down.  Very Coverdale indeed.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2012, 04:07:21 AM »
Today's blast from the past is this little beauty.

The first full album was ok but this raised the bar after a change of personnel. Doug Aldritch is now David Coverdale's right hand man and the singer is in Foreigner, so a quality band.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2012, 04:50:02 AM »
Hmmm....Interesting cover lol.  Big fan of Doug's work in Dio and Whitesnake so this is one I might have to look into.