Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570561 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2415 on: September 02, 2014, 05:17:57 AM »
I still can't believe it. It wasn't like a lot of the other great musicians we've lost, who had long battles with cancer, where you expect that things could take a turn for the worse, it was just completely out of nowhere.

Yeah, that's what makes it so sad and scary, he seemed okay and in good health as far as we know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2416 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Well we don't know if he did have other health issues?
But people all round the world die of sudden heart attacks every day.
My dad did in 2007, AFAIK he had know health issues.
Can happen to anyone as we well know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2417 on: September 02, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »
Well we don't know if he did have other health issues?
But people all round the world die of sudden heart attacks every day.
My dad did in 2007, AFAIK he had know health issues.
Can happen to anyone as we well know.

Sorry to hear that man.  But you're right, cardiac arrest can happen to anyone, at anytime.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2418 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
New Mr. Big

https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-09-02/mr-big-premiere-gotta-love-the-ride

hhmmmm... no complaints.  I'll listen on release day, but not sure it's an outright purchase.  Gilbert's solo is brilliant (as is to be expected).  Not so sure about the melody... more bluesly than rock, and I rarely liked their blues vibe.  Give me some hard core rock guys!  The good news is Eric sure as hell sounds better than Jeff Keith!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: September 02, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
I didn't really dig that to be honest.  It's just nothing new or special and didn't hold my interest.  A bit disappointing after what the last album gave us.  It could be a grower and I'll definitely still give the album a go.

But damn, that cover is so shit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2420 on: September 02, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
Not rapt in that either - the verse is okay but the chorus......just plods. I won't read too much into what could be the single though.

The good news is Eric sure as hell sounds better than Jeff Keith!

Eric Martin seems to be ageless , both vocally and the looks.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2421 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
That album cover is terrible

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: September 03, 2014, 05:07:24 AM »

I don't know what they were thinking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2423 on: September 03, 2014, 06:41:49 AM »
Mr. Big....What's with these bands loaded with talent that put out such mediocre music. I felt that way in 1990 too.

Jimi Jamesson died? Wow!
I wore this cassette out when I was a kid:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2424 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:52 AM »

All Mr. Big album covers are terrible, I sometimes think they do it on purpose. Maybe the first one was decent, but the rest? No way. Wouldn't surprise me if it was PGs idea, he seems to have that twisted kind of humor.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: September 03, 2014, 08:14:30 AM »

All Mr. Big album covers are terrible, I sometimes think they do it on purpose. Maybe the first one was decent, but the rest? No way. Wouldn't surprise me if it was PGs idea, he seems to have that twisted kind of humor.

I was thinking exactly that.  Lean Into It and Bump Ahead are retarded.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2426 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
Mr. Big....What's with these bands loaded with talent that put out such mediocre music. I felt that way in 1990 too.

Jimi Jamesson died? Wow!
I wore this cassette out when I was a kid:

Played that yesterday. What a great singer. He had one of those voices that was always a pleasure to listen to. I have some friends who knew him and he was a great guy too by all accounts.

And as to Mr Big I enjoyed the first 2 well enough but they did just lack that something exceptional. I think it was in the production. Sheehan, like Steve Harris, unbalances a mix for me with where he spends alot of his time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2427 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
I didn't really dig that to be honest.  It's just nothing new or special and didn't hold my interest.  A bit disappointing after what the last album gave us.  It could be a grower and I'll definitely still give the album a go.

But damn, that cover is so shit.

I quite liked it. Didn't love it. The solo is glorious (duh).
Eric Martin is a great singer but here and certainly on the last album he just sounds weird. I can't put my finger on what it is here. Last time out it was the stupid distortion Shirley put on alot of it. It all used to sound effortless for him but now it sounds like he's struggling. He's certainly not rubbish - maybe its just his tone has changed with age.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2428 on: September 03, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Played all the Jimi lead Survivor albums today plus "The Moment Of Truth & Burning Heart" today all the way up to Reach at work.  Damn it's too bad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2429 on: September 04, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »
I just read that in addition to Whitesnake , Joel Hoekstra has two thirds finished an album with Tony Franklin, Vinnie Appice and Russell Allen.  Could be interesting.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2430 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
I want a studio or official live version of that song Russell did with TSO.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2431 on: September 05, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »
I just read that in addition to Whitesnake , Joel Hoekstra has two thirds finished an album with Tony Franklin, Vinnie Appice and Russell Allen.  Could be interesting.

If RA is "singing" that could be good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: September 05, 2014, 06:47:54 AM »

If RA is "singing" that could be good.

Yeah, I'll definitely eat this up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
Harem Scarem update:

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/haremscarem
Hey all!

We’d like to invite you and welcome you to our first ever Pledge Music campaign! We’re very excited to have you guys on board for this.

This is our 13th studio album cleverly entitled…Thirteen…. with a 13-week run on pledge music.

During the thirteen week campaign, every week we’ll be putting up a new video with tons of studio updates and behind-the-scenes footage.
We’ll take you through the process of recording guitars and vocals and give you a run down of some of the equipment we use. You’re going to be there for the recording of all the key parts of the record as well as the mixing process. It’s going to be super cool – we’ve never done anything like this before so we’re very excited.

So why are we doing this? Well, basically we were out on tour last year and we ran into and reconnected with all of our fans and were actually very pleasantly surprised about the level of interest in the band. It’s been 6 years since our last studio album and we’re feeling rejuvenate and couldn’t be more excited about the new tunes!

We’re about to start recording now and we’re going to bring you inside and show you how we do it.

To get started, week #2 is going to be a question-and-answer with us. So leave your questions in the comments section and will be a recording
video answers to the ones we pick and we’ll see you next week!

Thanks for all the support!

H&P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2434 on: September 08, 2014, 05:13:47 AM »
Definitely looking forward to some new HS material.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2435 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
Pledged. Its at 97% already.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2436 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »
As did I this morning.  CD and T-shirt package.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: September 08, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
As did I this morning.  CD and T-shirt package.

I might go for this package too. Hopefully it includes shipping for me.  :\

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2438 on: September 08, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
OK, I tried the haren Scaren album that J Boy had in his Top 50. Seriously did nothing for me. Could each of you guys link me an awesome track? WTF am I missing here?

Does your pledge count as a purchase, or is it just to raise money, and then you still have to buy the album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2439 on: September 08, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
OK, I tried the haren Scaren album that J Boy had in his Top 50. Seriously did nothing for me. Could each of you guys link me an awesome track? WTF am I missing here?

Does your pledge count as a purchase, or is it just to raise money, and then you still have to buy the album?

If you didn't like Mood Swings then there's probably not much hope for you regarding Harem Scarem.  You could check a couple of the later ones like Weight of the World, Overload or maybe Hope.  But Mood Swings is by far their best album.

In the link there are multiple packages.  Most include the cd, depending on how much you spend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2440 on: September 08, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Mood Swings..that's it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: September 08, 2014, 05:58:31 PM »
Yeah, if Mood Swings didn't float your boat, there's no hope for you and Scarem.

The packages do include the album though... as low as $10 for a digital download of the album - essentially an iTunes pre-order.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
I haven't heard all of the material from Harem Scarem, but I can't imagine anything would come even close to Mood Swings

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2443 on: September 08, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
I haven't heard all of the material from Harem Scarem, but I can't imagine anything would come even close to Mood Swings

That's correct.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: September 08, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
The HS debut is a great slice of AOR but probably not up your alley JJ  -  I reckon Believe (released as "Karma Cleansing in Canada) is a massively under rated album and the one that comes closest to sounding like Mood Swings.  Not as good but damn good all the same.  Pretty much everything they did after that album , aside from perhaps Weight of the World was dialled in IMO.   

The single from the Believe album was Die Off Hard :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Mr1jHknYI

Also have a listen to the fairly heavy Staying Away (with drummer Darren Smith on vox) : https://youtu.be/dvBbUDmd5AI

which was a big fave of mine back in the day.  Nothing he did on Red Dragon Cartel sounds this good.  Had to upload this one myself- seems nobody else likes it  :D  Sound quality isn't the best after flv conversion unfortunately.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: September 08, 2014, 08:43:14 PM »
Beleive might be my second fav after Mood Swings, it's fantastic.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2446 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
In around 21 hrs from this post there's a free stream of Aerosmith's final US tour date here

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/aerosmith

I saw them (twice) last year in Australia and Tyler was fantabulous.

Also good to see Foreigner returning to Australian shores again in January (same venue as DT in Melbourne).  I'm not sure if I can make it along this time but the previous time - Hansen's first tour with them - was one of the better gigs I've attended.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2447 on: September 09, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
I don't have the same hardon for Mood Swings as some. I heard 2-3 other albums before it (Weight Of The World, Higher and Overload) all of which I thought were excellent for a mixture of new and old AOR?melodic rock.
Mood Swings is excellent, don't get me wrong, but I enjoy those others I mentioned, and the debut, as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWAMdJtpxJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJwcowTYA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJqf9umRB3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLY9F4O8Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUNsltCfpc

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2448 on: September 09, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
New track from Lynch Sweet project. I like it. Nice to hear George back in the melodic rock world. It's no lynch Mob I & II but it's decent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: September 09, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
I thought the Sweet/Lynch track was solid.  Nothing spectacular though