Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 568869 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2345 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
This wasn't worth its own thread and I know the dudes that would be interested check this thread , so for the Aussies.............2015 Soundwave lineup

I haven't heard of 95% of 'em and really can't be stuffed putting up with a festival to see the few bands we might be interested in.  The good news is that the big names usually do side shows.   I need to find some live Priest footage from recent times - not sure if Halford is worth seeing these days.

SOUNDWAVE LINE-UP
Day one
Faith No More----------
Soundgarden
Incubus
Lamb Of God
Antemasque
Ministry
Gerard Way
Mayhem
New Found Glory
Fear Factory
Hollywood Undead
Falling In Reverse
Atreyu
The Aquabats
Area 7
Godflesh
Crown The Empire
The Interrupters
Icon For Hire
Emily’s Army
Patent Pending
Fireworks
The Bennies
The Color Morale
Monuments
Nothing More
Deathstars
Ne Obliviscaris
Day two
Slipknot
Slash---------------
Marylin Manson
Fall Out Boy
Judas Priest------------
Godsmack
All Time Low
Papa Roach
Of Mice & Men
Escape the Fate
Apocalyptica
Lagwagon
Tonight Alive
Crossfaith
Butcher Babies
Evergreen Terrace
Confession
The Swellers
Conditions
Coldrain
King 810
Dayshell
This Wild Life
SOUNDWAVE 2015 DATES
BRISBANE - RNA Showgrounds, 21 & 22 February, 2015
SYDNEY - 28 February & March 1, 2015
MELBOURNE - Flemington Racecourse, 21 & 22 February 2015
ADELAIDE - Bonython Park, 28 February & March 1, 2015

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/soundwave-2015-australias-bestever-rock-lineup-20140820-105s86.html#ixzz3AuYeoMcG
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:43:25 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2346 on: August 20, 2014, 12:48:08 AM »
Nothing I'm interested in, but when there are bands I'm interested in, I'll only go to sideshows. That was the case with Maiden when they came out a few years ago.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: August 20, 2014, 01:19:01 AM »
Nothing for me.  Faith No More, Soundgarden and Incubus would be cool, but I wouldn't go just for them.  I wouldn't even both with Priest either, even they did some side shows.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2348 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:29 AM »
Yeah FNM, Soundgarden, Fear Factory, all oldies but goodies.
Would love to see Deathstars again and of course one of Australia's finest, Ne Obliviscaris.
JP I saw a couple of years ago in Wales, nothing remember-able at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2349 on: August 20, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »
Besides Judas Priest, I couldn't care less about any of those bands. But on a side note, check out footage of Butcher Babies; the chicks are smoking!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Besides Judas Priest, I couldn't care less about any of those bands. But on a side note, check out footage of Butcher Babies; the chicks are smoking!

I haven't heard a second of their music, but yeah they are pretty unreal, hot as hell.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2351 on: August 20, 2014, 07:32:38 AM »

I haven't heard a second of their music, but yeah they are pretty unreal, hot as hell.

Checked out a couple mins of a vid on YT.  Melodic Death Metal... prolly right up that alley you're hanging out in.   ;)

They certainly have a live schtick that will appeal to dudes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2352 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Brent, your son doesn't like Icon?

I haven't got to the obscure stuff yet Jay - I want him to have some sort of hope of hearing the music he likes when he's not here  ::)   I know how much it grates on me when I have to keep up appearances and listen to shit music all day.

Come to think of it he has a mate whose parents are close with my missus - every time I go over there I grit my teeth and listen to dance music and stuff like "Happy" (wolfie would love it) but when they come to my place it takes about half an hour before they either ask for the music to be changed or just walk over to the stereo and start stuffing around with it.   They even asked if they could stop my ultra-mega-awesome playlist and put something else on at my 40th birthday and I told them in no uncertain terms "ain't gonna happen" and I got a glare from the missus as if to say "That was rude."  ;D    I tell ya who was rude and was fucken wasn't me  :hat

So I figure I better get him into some stuff that rocks but might pop up somewhere on occasion.  Don't want him to feel like an outcast when he goes out like I do  ;D

That is taking the piss. Do not mess with a rock fan's stereo. WTF  :censored

Cool list. My kids like some of my stuff too. Zach is forever putting on KISS' Crazy Nights. They can recognise DT too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: August 20, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Yes don't mess with a mans music!!

I don't care how hot a female is, if she turns off the rock, I'm done.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2354 on: August 20, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Yes don't mess with a mans music!!

I don't care how hot a female is, if she turns off the rock, I'm done.

We had a long family car jppurney at the weekend so I prepared in advance  - copied the Planet Rock Crazy Nights compilation and some other Wifey friendly studff. She brought along a bloody Bruno Mars cd and expected me to play it. When she learns to drive and drives us to the other end of the country to visit her folks, she can choose the music!  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: August 20, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
Fuck I hate Bruno Mars.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2356 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
Thank god my wife likes Rock, metal and prog.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »
Thank god my wife likes Rock, metal and prog.

hang on to her

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2358 on: August 20, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
20 years married in Oct.  You should see her gardening with her earphones on headbanging.  It's cute.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: August 20, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
20 years married in Oct.  You should see her gardening with her earphones on headbanging.  It's cute.

This we need a vid of.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
I will creep on my wife over the weekend. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
I will creep on my wife over the weekend. :lol

:heybaby:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2362 on: August 21, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
New Work Of Art song up for listen on their FB page. I'm not sure how to link it here.

I'm not really feeling it from what i've heard from the album so far but we'll see. I'm pretty sure I will get the album anyway.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2363 on: August 21, 2014, 02:50:12 AM »
Yeah, Soundcloud is kind of shit for getting a link to something.

Anyway, the song isn't bad, nothing to get too excited about though. I'll probably end up picking this up anyway aswell.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2364 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:21 AM »

She doesn't mind some hair metal but gets pissed off with my music all the time in the car- she loves ELO and The Beatles. She's been to some gigs with me, Whitesnake, KISS, a couple of others.
Generally she listens to complete shit though. I'm trying to give the boys a good musical education. Zach has this electric guitar thing that plays Ace of Spades, Smoke On The Water and Breaking the Law so he loves those.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
New Work Of Art song up for listen on their FB page. I'm not sure how to link it here.

I'm not really feeling it from what i've heard from the album so far but we'll see. I'm pretty sure I will get the album anyway.

Sounds like more of the same to me.  This song has a bit more energy though which is great, love it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: August 21, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »
We tend to discuss melodic metal here and this is probably more in that vein than power metal , so here it sits.

As you guys know I love me some Urban Breed vocals and he just emailed through details on his upcoming Project Arcadia album.  Below is a link to the first song (pre-release) and I think it sounds promising.  My initial reaction was a bit WTF as it doesn't have his usual lyrical depth , it ends rather weird and I felt that the song structure was a bit off in a couple of places but after repeated listens it's growing on me. I think it'll make more sense in terms of what seems to be a concept album.

Not quite in the class of Trail of Murder but I love this guy's voice and I think there's enough in this song to definitely suggest it's worth keeping an eye out for.

https://projectarcadiabg.com/

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: August 21, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »

Sounds like more of the same to me.  This song has a bit more energy though which is great, love it.

I was over it after the first 40 secs....................seriously , I love the guy's voice but I don't think I could make so many songs/albums sound the same if I tried.  I think Tommy Denander must be involved somewhere  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »

I was over it after the first 40 secs....................seriously , I love the guy's voice but I don't think I could make so many songs/albums sound the same if I tried.  I think Tommy Denander must be involved somewhere  ;D

Tommy Denander is such a good guitarist.  I love the album he did with the late Fergie Frederiksen.  Great melodic rock.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: August 21, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
Tommy is a good guitarist (and a tool  ;D ) but he also tends to use patches/keys in the same way on almost every project he's involved in that makes them all sound similar.  That's what I was referring to ........sometimes knowing who did something after 10 secs is a good thing , sometimes it's not.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
We tend to discuss melodic metal here and this is probably more in that vein than power metal , so here it sits.

As you guys know I love me some Urban Breed vocals and he just emailed through details on his upcoming Project Arcadia album.  Below is a link to the first song (pre-release) and I think it sounds promising.  My initial reaction was a bit WTF as it doesn't have his usual lyrical depth , it ends rather weird and I felt that the song structure was a bit off in a couple of places but after repeated listens it's growing on me. I think it'll make more sense in terms of what seems to be a concept album.

Not quite in the class of Trail of Murder but I love this guy's voice and I think there's enough in this song to definitely suggest it's worth keeping an eye out for.

https://projectarcadiabg.com/

Not bad, good guitar solo.  Vocals were good and reminded me of Andre Matos at times.  I might check this one out.

Tommy is a good guitarist (and a tool  ;D ) but he also tends to use patches/keys in the same way on almost every project he's involved in that makes them all sound similar.  That's what I was referring to ........sometimes knowing who did something after 10 secs is a good thing , sometimes it's not.

Oh, I missed that lol.  He's done so much I haven't looked into all of his work.  Bit of a douche hey.

I gotta say, even I find it a bit much with how much the new WOA just sounds like the old stuff.  I'l eat it up, but Robert Sall needs to change it up a little.  It seems songs he writes for other people have the variety where WOA is just the same old.  I like how it's a bit heavier but apart from that, not much difference.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: August 21, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
Joel from Night Ranger is the new Whitesnake guitarist.   I was expecting the "big name" might've been a big bigger  ;D   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: August 21, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Joel from Night Ranger is the new Whitesnake guitarist.   I was expecting the "big name" might've been a big bigger  ;D

Was the criteria to look like Doug to get this part?  Good gig for him though, he's a pretty good guitarist.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: August 21, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping for someone a little more big-time, ie. someone I'd heard of before.
Nothing they do now will top what they did with Aldrich. I don't think Coverdale should try for another Whitesnake album now, just stick to touring.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: August 22, 2014, 02:16:45 AM »
Copy and pasted from the album thread

Speaking of which - for those who've been chatting in the AOR thread about Work of Art , I'd suggest checking out the Secret album I noted in this thread today.  Similar style but more personality/conviction/variable sound ,much better guitar work and the singer sounds like a smoother Michael Bormann.  Nothing groundbreaking but a lot fresher than anything Work of Art are likely to produce. Bloody good album and the best new AOR album I've heard in a while actually.  When you consider that one guy played basically all instruments on the album + singer ........even more amazing.

Here's the opening track , which is one of the more basic , rocking tracks.  Gives you an idea of what they're capable of though.  Work of Art will have to do something amazing to get close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR_FLuKYvag

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: August 22, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »
An interesting comment from a label guy with an advance copy of the new TEN album:

"Having been underwhelmed by the last few Ten albums, the new one is IMMENSE and even tops Name of the Rose for me as the best Ten album ever. Mr Hughes has definitely rediscovered his mojo."

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2376 on: August 22, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
Hmm. I thinnk I'll make my own mind up about that. A label guy isn't going to say it's total shite.  :biggrin: I hope he's right though.

Going to pimp this album by a young British band. I think you'll all like it - well maybe not Blob...  :biggrin:. Fairly typical melodic rock album but a modern, heavier edge and certainly not pink and fluffy. There's maybe a bit of early Tesla in there at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdvmW6m7xtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ4-FOrTij8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wAlKNylS0

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
I quite liked the first song, not so much the other two. It's on Spotify, so I might check out the whole thing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: August 22, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
Hmm. I thinnk I'll make my own mind up about that. A label guy isn't going to say it's total shite.  :biggrin: I hope he's right though.

Not the label it's released on  :P  I'm not that much of a sucka  ;)

Going to pimp this album by a young British band. I think you'll all like it - well maybe not Blob...  :biggrin:.

No need to pimpify me  ;)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38113.msg1777100#msg1777100

I've had it almost 6 months and I like it but not quite as much as I was expecting to.  It took forever for this album to come out and I think all the mucking around, change of singer etc.......and constant delays meant it needed to be absolutely fantastic to keep me happy. A few great songs and plenty of decent ones.

I'm very much into Secret and Unisonic at the minute - neither of which I was expecting to be great.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:02:32 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2379 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

Not the label it's released on  :P  I'm not that much of a sucka  ;)

Going to pimp this album by a young British band. I think you'll all like it - well maybe not Blob...  :biggrin:.

No need to pimpify me  ;)

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38113.msg1777100#msg1777100

I've had it almost 6 months and I like it but not quite as much as I was expecting to.  It took forever for this album to come out and I think all the mucking around, change of singer etc.......and constant delays meant it needed to be absolutely fantastic to keep me happy. A few great songs and plenty of decent ones.

I'm very much into Secret and Unisonic at the minute - neither of which I was expecting to be great.

Well I wouldn't expect to sneak anything past you Brent!  :biggrin:
Not heard the Secret. Unisonic is excellent.

The NxN didn't hit me at first but I played it in the car today by accident, just picked a cd out blindly and didn't recognise it when it started. Really did it for me today.