Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570891 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2170 on: June 07, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
Not sure sheer to put this but I'm really enjoyng Brainstorm's latest album. Never heard of them before but I'll be going through their back catalog for sure.

I've posted a few of their albums in the listening thread in recent months.  I wasn't rapt in the new one (The Chosen being the only track I rated very highly) but do like some of their stuff.  They certainly have plenty of albums and I find most of them 1/3 killer, 2/3 filler.

So..........to give you somewhere to start...my favourite album of theirs is Soul Temptation and the album generally considered their best is Liquid Monster
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2171 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
I listened to Monster last night having never really heard much by them. A TAC recommendation has to be taken seriously. I  liked it so much I listened to the latest one too and enjoyed that. Nothing earth shattering but a good listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2172 on: June 08, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
A TAC recommendation has to be taken seriously.

:metal

Thanks. That's sig worthy!!

Been playing it a lot. Not ground breaking by any stretch but very solid.  Just really enjoying it for what it is. I had never really heard of them before this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2173 on: June 09, 2014, 05:35:23 AM »
I saw a new release from Sabaton in store this weeked.  I almost picked it up, but then I didn't.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2174 on: June 09, 2014, 05:52:49 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2175 on: June 09, 2014, 05:54:37 AM »
I actually quite liked it. :lol I'll probably check out this album.
Better than most of the other generic metal stuff that gets posted in this thread.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2176 on: June 09, 2014, 05:57:01 AM »
Better than most of the other generic metal stuff that gets posted in this thread.

I don't know how we live in the same country, cause I'm sure we actually live on different planets.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2177 on: June 09, 2014, 05:58:38 AM »

I don't know how we live in the same country, cause I'm sure we actually live on different planets.

I've just accepted now that people on this forum live on a different planet to me. :lol Most people here live in prog bizarro world. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2178 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01:21 AM »
I saw a new release from Sabaton in store this weeked.  I almost picked it up, but then I didn't.

They played one song from it when I saw them with ReVamp.  It was pretty good.  Still trying to figure out who can tell me what's essential with them.  *goes to check if there is a band thread... nope   :sadpanda:*

I tried Caralous Rex, but wasn't wow'd.  I really enjoyed them live though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:43 AM »
I just listened to a song from that new album.  I'm glad I didn't pick it up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2180 on: June 09, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
New Night Ranger sucks.

Was that ever really in question?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2181 on: June 09, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
New Night Ranger sucks.

The previous one was absolutely brilliant. This one... let's just say its taking a while to click.

So, the new Tesla. Anyone heard it? I really like it though it does run out of a bit of steam towards the end. There are alot of ballad-y tracks but these are better than the rockier tracks tbh. There's alot of good stuff from Frank Hannon. It's not going to trouble the 1st 3-4 albums in their discog but I prefer it to anyhting since Bust A Nut.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2182 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Lowdz, maybe you can pick a Night Ranger song that might be decent. I thought they were horrible back in the day. Such a waste.

You can't release a single like Don't Tell Me You Love Me, and set those expectations for the album, then have it completely suck.

Looking forward to the new Tesla. Will likely order it next week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2183 on: June 09, 2014, 03:08:37 PM »
New Night Ranger sucks.

:lol  i agree with Paul, the last one was pretty decent.  I have never really dug into their earlier stuff that much.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2184 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
Lowdz, maybe you can pick a Night Ranger song that might be decent. I thought they were horrible back in the day. Such a waste.

You can't release a single like Don't Tell Me You Love Me, and set those expectations for the album, then have it completely suck.

I was never a fan of NR back in the day. They didn't do anything here in the UK and they were a bit light for me at the time. The Somewhere In California album was great though. There are nods back to songs from their heyday which is cheeky but its a great rocking melodic album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-a1UQY7lg&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyzrtih_1M&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQW365xO3Mc&index=4&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA
Cool dual guitar solo at the end.
So

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2185 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
Alright Paul, will check out. For you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2186 on: June 09, 2014, 03:50:12 PM »

:biggrin:

Then Winger...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2187 on: June 09, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »

Then Winger...

No F'n way!! :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2188 on: June 09, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »

Then Winger...

No F'n way!! :lol

Ok, its too soon. One step at a time  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2189 on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
That new Night Ranger is pretty generic stuff.  I haven't heard anything from them besides their greatest hits and their not a band I would pursue looking any further into.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2190 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
The first 3 Night Ranger albums are great.  they slipped with big life and Man in Motion was good, not great.  I like Neverland but haven't followed since.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2191 on: June 09, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

I was never a fan of NR back in the day. They didn't do anything here in the UK and they were a bit light for me at the time. The Somewhere In California album was great though. There are nods back to songs from their heyday which is cheeky but its a great rocking melodic album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-a1UQY7lg&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyzrtih_1M&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQW365xO3Mc&index=4&list=PLThNX5mcCGqlBCFHWDByZVqkdgA_KFpYA
So

Nice. Much better than I expected though I would never buy that. If they were just a tad heavier and less cheesy, they'd actually be pretty good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2192 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
You metalhead. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2193 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2194 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
 :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2195 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
The first 3 Night Ranger albums are great.  they slipped with big life and Man in Motion was good, not great.  I like Neverland but haven't followed since.

Pretty much this , although I wasn't rapt in Neverland either.  The last one was pretty decent but , even though they've always had the same vibe to some extent I just find this new stuff way too "gay" ........and that's not implying or criticising anyone about their sexuality..............just the best word I could think of.  They're way too happy  ;D

Haven't got around to the new Tesla as yet.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2196 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »

Pretty much this , although I wasn't rapt in Neverland either.  The last one was pretty decent but , even though they've always had the same vibe to some extent I just find this new stuff way too "gay" ........and that's not implying or criticising anyone about their sexuality..............just the best word I could think of.  They're way too happy  ;D

Haven't got around to the new Tesla as yet.

I think you described it perfectly.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2197 on: June 10, 2014, 01:55:38 PM »

So

Nice. Much better than I expected though I would never buy that. If they were just a tad heavier and less cheesy, they'd actually be pretty good.

That's about as heavy as they ever got as far as I can tell. As I say, never been much of a fan. Agree completely with Brent, far too soft for me. And with two awesome guitarists there was no excuse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2198 on: June 10, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
And with two awesome guitarists there was no excuse.

My thoughts exactly.  Such a waste.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2199 on: June 10, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
And with two awesome guitarists there was no excuse.

My thoughts exactly.  Such a waste.

You now it's funny. I remember watching the video to Don't Tell Me You Love Me, thinking, OK, this is a rocking song. We have a guitarist from Ozzy's band, and the other guy looks like Dave Murray. This is gonna be a great album.

Nope..what a letdown.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2200 on: June 10, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
So, the new Tesla. Anyone heard it? I really like it though it does run out of a bit of steam towards the end. There are alot of ballad-y tracks but these are better than the rockier tracks tbh. There's alot of good stuff from Frank Hannon. It's not going to trouble the 1st 3-4 albums in their discog but I prefer it to anyhting since Bust A Nut.

I was just sampling some tracks. Jeff Keith sounds terrible. I seriously don't know if I can spend money on this.
And I freaking loved Tesla back in the day!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2201 on: June 11, 2014, 05:12:41 AM »

I was just sampling some tracks. Jeff Keith sounds terrible. I seriously don't know if I can spend money on this.

I only listened to that one song that was released a couple of months back, and it seriosuly had some of the worst vocals I've ever heard.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2202 on: June 11, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »

Its certainly not a performance equal to his heyday, there's a lack of warmth I guess, and its very same-y in the delivery, but I wouldn't call it awful. David Coverdale's last couple of albums have been far worse but some don't see (hear?) that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2203 on: June 11, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

Its certainly not a performance equal to his heyday, there's a lack of warmth I guess, and its very same-y in the delivery, but I wouldn't call it awful. David Coverdale's last couple of albums have been far worse but some don't see (hear?) that.

I didn't call it awful. I called it terrible. ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2204 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »

I didn't call it awful. I called it terrible. ;D

I must have been coming up with an average between what you said and Kade  :biggrin:. Anyway, listening to it now and I like it.