Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 571261 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1260 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
Fuck yeah, looking forward to that HOL.  I thought Big Money was an excellent album.

I don't give a shit about Tolkki anymore.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1261 on: December 09, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
Ya know, I went back to give Avalon another shot today.  It had a couple of moments of decency, but on the whole was just a big let down.  Vocal performances were all over the board, as were the melodies.  I'll give the next one a try, only because of Floor (and to some extent Simone).  But I'm not expecting anything.  Maybe that will help.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1262 on: December 09, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
Love HoL so looking forward to this. just hope the production is up to the job, unlike Christian's last solo effort.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: December 09, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »
Ya know, I went back to give Avalon another shot today.  It had a couple of moments of decency, but on the whole was just a big let down.  Vocal performances were all over the board, as were the melodies.  I'll give the next one a try, only because of Floor (and to some extent Simone).  But I'm not expecting anything.  Maybe that will help.

Based on this Tolki guy doing the next Allen/Lande album, I went out and checked out some of Avalon on youtube.  Didn't even finish a song, not impressed.  Surprising consider some of the talent involved.  Now I'm worried for Allen/Lande 4 officially.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1264 on: December 09, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »

Based on this Tolki guy doing the next Allen/Lande album, I went out and checked out some of Avalon on youtube.  Didn't even finish a song, not impressed.  Surprising consider some of the talent involved.  Now I'm worried for Allen/Lande 4 officially.

yeah he's lost the plot over the last few years. I actually went back recently and checked out some of the older Stratovarius albums and they were excellent. I only really had a best of and a couple of albums from Infinite onwards. They were ok but not earth shaking.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1265 on: December 09, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »

Jay... unfortunately, that's exactly what we were trying to tell you.   :-\ 

yeah he's lost the plot over the last few years. I actually went back recently and checked out some of the older Stratovarius albums and they were excellent. I only really had a best of and a couple of albums from Infinite onwards. They were ok but not earth shaking.

I was listening to Revolution Renaissance/Trinity today.  That's also a good album by TT, only 3 years old.  How could he be making such tripe now?  I can only hope some of what he displayed in the past will come back with Avalon II and Allen/Lande 4.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1266 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
Let's hope so. Jorn certainly doesn't need another crap album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: December 09, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
It would be interesting to see how Jorn and Rus react to new material from the project from Tolkki considering the quality they have been delivered with Karlsson.  This is gonna bomb.

Love HoL so looking forward to this. just hope the production is up to the job, unlike Christian's last solo effort.

Yeah, it ruined the songs really.  Also Big Money was a winner but was weak in the production department.

Pretty much everything he did from Elements 1 backwards was quality.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1268 on: December 09, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Pretty much everything he did from Elements 1 backwards was quality.
Yeah, the first Elements is probably the last Tolkki album that I liked. Elements Part 2 was already pretty shaky and I thought the Stratovarius s/t was terrible, with everything since being similar in quality or worse.

The sad part is that the Elements albums were released in 2003. It's literally been a decade since Tolkki put out something that I thought was good. :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: December 10, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joe-lynn-turner-joins-forces-with-carmine-appice-tony-franklin-jeff-watson/

Legendary vocalist Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN) revealed to Anderson Guimaraes of The Rainbow Fanclan Legacy that he has launched a brand new band called LEGACY X with drummer Carmine Appice (VANILLA FUDGE, CACTUS), bassist Tony Franklin (THE FIRM, BLUE MURDER) and guitarist Jeff Watson (NIGHT RANGER, MOTHER'S ARMY). Watson joined the group as the replacement for Bruce Kulick (KISS, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD), who was unable to commit to the new project due to his heavy touring schedule with GRAND FUNK RAILROAD.

Good shit!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: December 10, 2013, 04:00:31 AM »
The HOL samples sound pretty standard and safe, but very solid.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: December 10, 2013, 04:22:46 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joe-lynn-turner-joins-forces-with-carmine-appice-tony-franklin-jeff-watson/

Legendary vocalist Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN) revealed to Anderson Guimaraes of The Rainbow Fanclan Legacy that he has launched a brand new band called LEGACY X with drummer Carmine Appice (VANILLA FUDGE, CACTUS), bassist Tony Franklin (THE FIRM, BLUE MURDER) and guitarist Jeff Watson (NIGHT RANGER, MOTHER'S ARMY). Watson joined the group as the replacement for Bruce Kulick (KISS, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD), who was unable to commit to the new project due to his heavy touring schedule with GRAND FUNK RAILROAD.

Good shit!!

Hopefully it'll be better than the tripe Turner and Watson did as Mothers Army - if I had to make a list of most disappointing projects (given the personnel) that'd be right up there. An expensive beer coaster that was for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:41 AM »
I think I've heard that one, can't remember much but I know it didn't stick with me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1273 on: December 10, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »

Good shit!!

Hopefully it'll be better than the tripe Turner and Watson did as Mothers Army - if I had to make a list of most disappointing projects (given the personnel) that'd be right up there. An expensive beer coaster that was for me.

Not heard that (thankfully by the sounds of things) but that is a decent line-up.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: December 16, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KywpeORasjo

teaser for the new Vandenberg stuff - reminds me of all his other material.  Decent but nothing that hasn't been done much better by others.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1275 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KywpeORasjo

teaser for the new Vandenberg stuff - reminds me of all his other material.  Decent but nothing that hasn't been done much better by others.

Was never a fan. Doesn't look like that will change, though I like the raw sound.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1276 on: December 17, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Europe - The Final Countdown live at Sweden Rock:

An old classic but Europe makes it sound fresher than ever. Big props for them still going strong.

Here's a newer song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvIqZHGDOI
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1277 on: December 18, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Europe - The Final Countdown live at Sweden Rock:

An old classic but Europe makes it sound fresher than ever. Big props for them still going strong.

Here's a newer song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvIqZHGDOI

One of my favourite singers. He's lost some higher range but he's still a pleasure to listen to. I'm not enamoured with the newer direction but TFC to PiP was a great 3 album run.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:06 AM »
Been listening to this Aussie classic today in the car;

Jimmy Barnes is an Australian rock hero and simply one of the best rock voices we have ever produced. (Even though he's originally from Wales)

This album features most tracks written by Jonothan Cain, and features both him and Neal Schon.  This album is killer with some great rock tracks as well as some smooth AOR tracks.  It also features Walk On written by Desmond Child and Joe Lynn Turner.  Some of you might know the version Turner redid with the second Sunstorm album.  Recommened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI9dXapGzjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Ny48UYF2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Ll5N6xoLA

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: December 19, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
New Primal Fear album samples;

https://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Black-Primal-Fear/dp/B00H9UGDPU/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0

Short samples but this actually sounds quite solid and promising.  I can actually hear some classic Primal Fear in here.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: December 19, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
samples sound awesome!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
I find Primal Fear rather hit and miss (more miss) with plenty of filler on the few albums I have but I think those samples sound pretty damn good.    Very aggressive, basic , melodic and catchy -  and consistent in an Axel Rudi Pell kinda way  ;D

I'll certainly be checking it out.

Good reco by wolfking re the Barnes album - quality melodic rock and that will likely be a fringe contender for my Top50

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: December 19, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
samples sound awesome!

They really do.

Good reco by wolfking re the Barnes album - quality melodic rock and that will likely be a fringe contender for my Top50

Yeah, it's awesome, definitely his best work IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: December 22, 2013, 05:53:27 AM »
More cookie cutter , 2 minute noodle guitar riff melodic rock with obligatory shite video...............and another Bormann project (Redrum).  It's so hard to find new release melodic rock with any inspiration /musical depth.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T-ca7G5DtII

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1284 on: December 22, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »
Not bad, but not standout. Par for the course for the genre. :lol. I didn't mind it, and at least it was more rock than the grating metal stuff, but it was fairly soft and generic.

I'm basically just hanging out until Stan Bush's new one comes out in January.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1285 on: December 23, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
Not bad, but not standout. Par for the course for the genre. :lol. I didn't mind it, and at least it was more rock than the grating metal stuff, but it was fairly soft and generic.

I'm basically just hanging out until Stan Bush's new one comes out in January.

Stan is usually quality. Not played any of his stuff for a while. Would put that right but the weather here in the UK isn't exactly AOR weather. Quite liked the song but don't imagine I'll bother with the album. as you both say, its ok, just nothing special.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: December 23, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »
I got Bush's Dream the Dream I think it's called.  It was okay but nothing memorable IMO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
If anyone wants to check out Stan Bush the "go to" albums for me are

Stan Bush and Barrage (1987):  (House of Lords fans will recognise one there) which has some harder rock on it than you might expect from him

Gates of Paradise  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ1GfjV52Zk

In This life (2007) 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1288 on: December 23, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
Never heard of him.

Now John Bush? That's a different matter.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: December 23, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
Never heard of him.

Be gone you heathen   ;D

He's very smooth AOR and I suppose would be considered a significant third tier artist .  He was on the original Transformers soundtrack though - remember The Touch??  ;D

John Bush.........yes.  Can't say I listen to much Anthrax with him on board but I  :heart  Symbol of Salvation by Armored Saint  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1290 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »
Never heard of him.

He was on the original Transformers soundtrack though - remember The Touch??  ;D

Nope don't know it.

John Bush.........yes.  Can't say I listen to much Anthrax with him on board but I  :heart  Symbol of Salvation by Armored Saint  :tup
:metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: December 23, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
I got Bush's Dream the Dream I think it's called.  It was okay but nothing memorable IMO.

It has some classics on there. Never Hold Back and Love is the Road are still standout favourites of mine, although I find the second half of the album is much stronger than the first half.
And In This Life is great from start to finish.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1292 on: December 24, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
For me it's Stan Bush & Barrage, Dial 8088808080808088808008080808 (or something like that  :)) and Every beat Of My Heart.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: December 24, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »
Nothing before Language of the Heart does anything for me, and even then I don't love his stuff before In This Life (excluding the Transformers stuff, which is obviously awesome). But the stuff between that is just too soft for me. His current line-up has struck on something really good for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: December 24, 2013, 02:59:55 AM »

It has some classics on there. Never Hold Back and Love is the Road are still standout favourites of mine, although I find the second half of the album is much stronger than the first half.
And In This Life is great from start to finish.

Might have to pull it out and have another listen.