Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 571741 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1225 on: November 29, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Royal Hunt is a band that I gave not  spent any time with.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1226 on: November 29, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »
Royal Hunt is a band that I gave not  spent any time with.

Fear was in my top 50. Great album. They have a very distinct and recognisable style. NOt all bass drums at a 1000 miles an hour like alot of Eurometal, and more neo-classical. Worth a try TAC.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: November 29, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »
New song is pretty cool.  Nothing spectacular but solid enough.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: November 29, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »
Can't say that much from Royal Hunt has overly impressed me, even with DC. 

But I just picked up DC Coopers solo disc based on this thread.  Its real and its spectacular!!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1229 on: November 29, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Definitely gets better, opening riff is terrible, but gets a lot better.
Typical RH style though and I love it.
I do prefer John West on vox, but DC is also great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: December 02, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
I've had the new Eden's Curse on repeat and I gotta say it's fantastic.  The songs really have opened up and the new vocalist is terrific.  Could be their best album to date, but Trinity is still giving it tough competition.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1231 on: December 02, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
Primal Fear - When Death Comes Knocking - Official / New Studio Album 2014): https://t.co/Hp0JBoRf1a

meh.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1232 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Primal Fear - When Death Comes Knocking - Official / New Studio Album 2014): https://t.co/Hp0JBoRf1a

meh.

It's ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: December 02, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
Will have to check it out later tonight when I'm not at work.  Looking forward to it though, I liked the sample.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: December 02, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
pretty standard fare for Primal Fear

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: December 02, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »

Sub standard, IMO.  But still better than Tolkki.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1236 on: December 03, 2013, 01:13:03 AM »

Sub standard, IMO.  But still better than Tolkki.

True.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: December 03, 2013, 02:02:30 AM »
Yeah, actually it is sub standard.  Hopefully the rest of the disc is better then this tune.

Don't like the sounds of this Tolkki dude.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:58 AM »
Yeah, actually it is sub standard.  Hopefully the rest of the disc is better then this tune.

Don't like the sounds of this Tolkki dude.

:lol  Just stick to his old shit and you'll be fine.

Okay, I've listened to the song.  I like the riff, it's obviously Karlsson's songwriting with that riff.  The verses rip off One With The World from Gamma Ray, but it's not that bad.  I guess it's pretty boombastic and the chorus is over the top.  The chorus is nothing special but I like the way it resorts back to the main riff.

As much as I love Primal Fear and Karlsson, and I do enjoy this song, I think Karlsson is actually at his weakest in Primal Fear for some reason.  He's just not really metal, he's melodic with a hint of prog.  I think that's why Primal Fear's direction has shifted.  It's not so much being with Frontiers, it's Karlsson.  It's not a bad thing, because everything he does is still quality, and the last three albums have been solid material, but Primal Fear will never be what they were, especially without Stefan and Tom.  Those two along with Ralf and Sinner were the heart and soul of Primal Fear.  Even Henny had a good place.  Now it's just different, and to me since Karlsson's teaming with Scheepers and Sinner, it just feels like a different band to me.  It's like they should be taking a more melodic route like Karlsson was doing with Last Tribe but they feel they need to keep this anthemetic and tough guy shit because they are still Primal Fear.  I know I'm a fan boy, but I think I need to say that, I've been thinking it for a while but the new song confirms it.

Anyway, believe it or not I enjoy the song a look forward to the album, but just think each member is stornger when they are not working together.

Also, I think the video is quite excellent.  It's had a bit of a budget and is nicely shot and actually enjoyable to watch, and doesn't make the meat and potatoes metal band look stupid, the band actually looks quite classy IMO.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: December 03, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
^Can't disagree with much of that.  I just still think the song is pretty 'meh' after one listen.  I'll still pickup the album, and still believe it will be pretty solid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: December 03, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »
There's obvious edits in the song too, so I'm sure the album version will be a bit longer.  I enjoy it though, but it's just nothing jaw dropping.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »
There are usually one or two weaker songs on each Primal Fear album; but they are a reliable band when it comes to great discs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
There are usually one or two weaker songs on each Primal Fear album; but they are a reliable band when it comes to great discs.

There's really not one album that I would consider less than average.  Even with all the changes they have gone through, every album is very solid.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: December 03, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »
Their latest, Unbreakable, is probably my least played album from them.  But yeah, every disc from them ranges from very good- outstanding.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:17 AM »
Silent Force - Circle of Trust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDh3lZas0lA

Meh, not bad, but a bit more flashy and reminds me more of his Voodoo Circle project than Silent Force.  The main riff sounds exactly like something from Malmsteen, but I can't put my finger on it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: December 05, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »
I really like this tune.  Its a totally different sound for Silent Force, but sounds really good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1246 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

Meh, not bad, but a bit more flashy and reminds me more of his Voodoo Circle project than Silent Force.  The main riff sounds exactly like something from Malmsteen, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't hear the Malmsteen thing. Also it doesn't sound exactly like Whtesnake 1987 so not very Voodoo Circle  :biggrin: i like it. Heavier than AOR and more hard rock than metal. My kinda thing. Great vocal too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
It's not exactly like Voodoo Circle, but to me it's more that than Silent Force.  The rest of the samples were promising so I'm sure there's some harder edged stuff on there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: December 05, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
New vocalist sounds really good too

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: December 05, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
Not rapt in it myself but that's got something to do with me already having heaps of albums with Bormann and this doesn't sound too much different to most of them and probably not as good as a lot of the Jaded Heart/Charade stuff  -  more Jaded heart style melodic rock than what I was expecting from Silent Force.  The guitar sound is that muddy at the start I can hardly hear the riff to know if it sounds like Malmsteen .  Bormann looks like he may have stolen some of Yngwie's donuts though since I last saw him. :)

It's certainly not terrible and I'll check out some other tracks before rushing to judgement on the whole album.

Bormann is a good singer but I wouldn't say he's versatile.  I  feel like I've heard this all before.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:57:47 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: December 05, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

Not sure I hear the Yngvie either.  I dug the tune.  The only Bormann vocals I know is Cybersteria, and I really like that album.  Looking forward to the whole album

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »
It's just the little riff at 0:22 seconds that reminds me of Yngwie.  Reminds me heavily of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuC30pIMss]

I know they don't sound the same, just reminded me of this song as soon as I heard it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: December 06, 2013, 04:44:45 AM »
I still don't hear it  :P  - I love Trilogy though  :tup   That was my first Yngwie album purchased around the time of release (with great difficulty) - picture a young 12yo kid doing the rounds of the record stores like Brashs trying to explain to the other young kids at the counter that I want to order some Ing-vay Marmsteen  ;D  Who?? 

Good to have a song about the circle of trust too

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:01:31 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Johnson has just torn the poms apart.  Looks like the Aussies are gunning for another win.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1254 on: December 07, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »
Johnson has just torn the poms apart.  Looks like the Aussies are gunning for another win.

Our crap spineless batsmen have been well and truly found out. Scared of a little pace? Jesus, get another job. We've been really bad for a couple of years but the bowlers bailed us out. Not this time. There really is no-one in the wings either. It's not even as though your boys have had to play particularly well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:43 AM »

Our crap spineless batsmen have been well and truly found out. Scared of a little pace? Jesus, get another job. We've been really bad for a couple of years but the bowlers bailed us out. Not this time. There really is no-one in the wings either. It's not even as though your boys have had to play particularly well.

That's the thing, the Aussies haven't played that spectacular, Johnson has been their saving grace.  Perhaps if it weren't for him, we may have had a bit more of a battle on our hands.  You guys aren't looking much better in the second innings.  Should be all over tomorrow.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
Unfortunately I missed Paul Laine on Tuesday due to that family illness (I heard it was fantastic  >:(  )   but I've just got home from Bon Jovi which was a huge consolation  :yeahright

A quick pro/con:

PROS:

- good crowd in (45,000 or so country fans for the second night running - although they did need to discount to fill up the 2nd night.  Still a good effort) and when he got everyone to light up their phones there was some serious atmosphere.  A wide range of age groups were there - everything from hot young vixens  :tup to the elderly.
-  the stage and sound were really cool -   the stage was done up as the front of a huge Buick with the bonnet/headlights fixed and with little monitors in the grille and a big monitor above changing the look of the windscreen/scenery etc........very well done.
-  Phil X did a good job of replacing Richie both vocally and on geetar....and used a different guitar for almost every song.   He also provided the vocal highlight of the night singing You Shook Me All Night Long in full during a little covers medley they did.  Funnily enough a number of people who'd sat down all night stood up for the ACDC song  ;D
- JBJ put in an energetic performance ,as did the whole band.  They certainly weren't on cruise control.
- the show was almost 3 hours

CONS:

- the songs were mostly a snooze.   I'd say 50% were from the last few albums and another 20-25% were either more of their country bollocks or their poppy rock (It's My Life, HAND etc...)  Nothing from the first two albums at all -  songs they did off SWW through KTF were (as best I can recall) ..........Livin On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, Wanted Dead or Alive, Raise Your Hands, Bad Medicine, Born To Be My Baby, Keep The Faith, Dry County.  JBJ looked like Peter Allen shaking his maracas during Keep The Faith.
- JBJ's voice............aside from commercial reasons I can see why he's gone country - his voice is even more shot than I expected.  He has the range of Billy Ray Cyrus and when he struggles to even get close to notes on the early stuff it's pretty painful........a monotone whine is the best I can describe it.  Whatever range he has vanishes when he tries to sing with power.  The modern stuff he handles well enough.  Shame - as the band did a ripping version of Dry County

- JBJ also seems to have a bit of the embarrassing old uncle dance moves creeping in that he may have picked up from David Lee Roth.   These ex kings of the stage are starting to look their age , although I'm pretty sure his shiny teeth aren't near as old  ;D   He likes himself plenty and there were lots of intense pouts at the camera and almost evangelical moments as he worked his flock , but on the whole I think he really came to play and put on a good show.

Overall I'm happy enough with what I got after my 75% discount but also glad I didn't stump up full price.  I've never been the biggest Aerosmith fan but this is just another gig that makes me marvel at what I've seen Steve Tyler do live recently - both in terms of singing and stage presence.  He blows everyone else away and he's another decade or more older than these guys..

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:10:28 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:56 AM »
Nice and entertaining review.  :lol  Yeah, the stuff I've seen from Bon Jovi lately, his vocals are just awful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: December 09, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
Why Floor?  Why!?!?!?!

Floor Jansen is the main vocalist on Avalon II, the album and European tour planned for May 2014
The Nightwish/ReVamp singer Floor Jansen will appear in the leading role on the next album of Timo Tolkki’s Avalon Metal Opera.

Jansen is the main vocalist on the album and sings lead vocals on the first single and promotional video. The release date for both single and the video is planned for March. The recordings are currently taking place in East Sound Studios in Helsinki, Finland. Jansen joins the cast that already includes Epica singer Simone Simons and the reunion of the early Stratovarius. Lineup: Tuomo Lassila on drums (the founder of Stratovarius) and Antti Ikonen on keyboards (the original keyboard player of Stratovarius).

A European Tour is also planned for May 2014, to coincide with the release of the album. More details on the live lineup and dates will be revealed later.

Timo Tolkki comments straight from the studio: “I am right now recording probably the best vocalist I have worked with in my whole career. This has been a jaw dropping experience and I thought I have already seen it all. Floor has proven me wrong. For example in the 10 minute title track of the album, she delivers in my opinion the best vocals of her career so far. This song is probably the biggest sounding of my whole career and Floor simply makes it an astonishing, almost breathtaking experience! We are both surprised of how amazing this has turned out to be and both very happy to hear how amazing it sounds.”

I can only pray it's not as bad as the first!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: December 09, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but more news.  This, unlike above, excites me.

Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release of the anticipated HOUSE OF LORDS brand new studio album entitled "Precious Metal" on February 21st in Europe and February 24th in North America.

PREORDER NOW on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Precious-Metal-...

"Precious Metal" is HOUSE OF LORDS' ninth studio album, following up the critically acclaimed "Big Money". This brand new release, recorded and produced by the band's singer and mastermind James Christian, again has a stellar sound, with solid and baroque songwriting mixed with unique melodic sensibilities and amazing musical skills.

Musically "Precious Metal" shows a return to the roots of the band's sound. James Christian as usual sings his heart out and he sounds better than ever on these new songs. Guitarist Jimi Bell shines with heavy, but melodic riffs throughout the album, with Chris McCarville and BJ Zampa bringing a solid and powerful rhythm foundation to the House of Lords sound.

In James Christian's words: "When we started to write this record, we knew after the 1st song that we were on to something special. The energy level was off the charts for all of us. Jimi Bell came out swinging and BJ and Chris were just crushing it. Recording this album was very easy as the songs already had arrangements that were complete. Precious Metal is a testament to years of being a band that loves what they do and has so much more to offer in the years to come."

House of Lords debuted in 1989 with the release of the self-titled album, a monumental Arena Hard Rock release which showcased the soaring vocals of James Christian and instrumental capabilities of the band (which featured ex Angel and Giuffria Gregg Giuffria, along with such luminaries as Lanny Cordola, Chuck Wright and Ken Mary), reminiscent of such frontrunners as Whitesnake, Deep Purple and Van Halen, immediately brought the band to the attention of the media and fans. After another 2 albums released until 2002, House of Lords went into hibernation until the original lineup came back together in 2000, releasing of the controversial "Power and the Myth" an album which featured a sound leaning more towards Progressive Hard Rock with 70's rock influences.

After a short European tour, singer James Christian decided to go back to the trademark Arena Rock sound of House Of Lords, putting together a new line-up. Since 2006 the band has a stable line-up featuring Jimi Bell on guitars, B.J. Zampa on drums and Chris McCarvill on bass which has been delivering impressive shows and fine releases such as "World Upside Down, "Come to My Kingdom", "Cartesian Dreams" and the recent "Big Money".

"Precious Metal" tracklisting includes the following tracks:
Battle; I'm Breakin' Free; Epic; Live Every Day (Like Its The Last); Permission To Die; Precious Metal; Swimmin' With The Sharks; Raw; Enemy Mine; Action; Turn Back The Tide; You Might Just Save My Life.

EPK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKINDdQWy8&feature=youtu.be&a with a few sound bites intertwined with an interview.  I dig it.