Author Topic: Why do we pay for prisoners?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Why do we pay for prisoners?
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »
How often do the accidental executions of innocents happen compared to successful executions of actual criminals?

Perhaps a ratio of these could be of use in deciding on this matter.

From what I hear, executing the wrong guy is easily the exception to the rule, and if that is so, (though it's unfortunate it happens), I feel it is justified by the ridding us of murders/rapists/ect.  Sure, it has a negative effect on a few inncents, but the killing off of dangerous, violent, individuals is beneficial for the majority.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:46:44 PM by MasterShakezula »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
From what I hear, executing the wrong guy is easily the exception to the rule, and if that is so, (though it's unfortunate it happens), I feel it is justified by the ridding us of murders/rapists/ect.  Sure, it has a negative effect on a few inncents, but the killing off of dangerous, violent, individuals is beneficial for the majority.
As long as the innocent person is someone you don't know and/or care about,  that is. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
How often do the accidental executions of innocents happen compared to successful executions of actual criminals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_death_row_inmates#United_States
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »
True, that is very unfortunate for such a thing to happen.

However, no justice system is going to be completely perfect all the time, and the populace is better off with some innocents (sadly) executed than thousands of murderers and rapists having the potential to be let out of jail and potentially commit more atrocities.  The prison system does nothing to improve their mindsets (they arguably end up worse people than before, due to the horrendous environment they're placed into) and unfortunately, there's little, if anything, that can be done to fix the failings of the prison environment. 

Ideally, reforms could be made to the prison system to make it rehabilitative, as opposed to a depriving and dehumanizing environment that breeds angrier, more deadly criminals, but since that's very unlikely to happen, these prisoners should not be returning to society; they come in bad and would be coming out even worse. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
thousands of murderers and rapists having the potential to be let out of jail and potentially commit more atrocities. 

Life without the possibility of parole does the exact same thing, and gives the wrongly accused the ability to continue to appeal their case.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
You're suggesting that we kill all the bad guys, and a few innocents as well, rather than actually fixing the system.  Not cool.  Particularly since fixing the system really wouldn't be all that hard.  However, it's not a real appealing idea to the masses.  For all of our discussion about costs,  the support actually stems from the vengeance aspect.  That's why we'll continue to kill people and throw the rest into shitholes.  Creating a workable system doesn't satisfy the people who cheer punishment. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Sigz: Fair enough.  Possibly cheaper as well.

Though, executions could be cheaper than they currently are through use of a much simpler method, as opposed to the currently popular injection method. 

Also, why do only a select few murderers get life w/o parole, as opposed to a finite term?  One would think that the crime of murder would guarantee at least a life sentence, considering the US's general view of violent crime. 

Also, in response to Barto: I don't think it's just the populace (in general) who wants the vengeance aspect.  The government itself seems well-set in their way of running the prison system.  Though I'd like to think otherwise, the gov. is almost impossibly difficult to influence unless you have some sort of means of benefiting the individual politicians in the process (i.e. paying them off with sizable monetary gifts in return for them making legislation you want passed.)  and the prison industrial complex has rather deep pockets.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »
The cost isn't with the method of execution.  The chemicals run <$100.  It's the legal process to make sure they get a fair shake and the cost of keeping them from hanging themselves before The Man get's to snuff them.  The way to save money is to skip some of the steps in the legal process, and likely execute some innocent people. 

Not everybody gets life without parole because there are so many other offenders taking up bed space.  This war on drugs bullshit has far reaching consequences.

I agree that the government has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.  That doesn't mean that accepting it and writing off a few wrongly executed is acceptable to a person of conscience. 
E.F. Benson

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
What would your say be on (hypothetically):

A.  Ending the war on drugs, or at least the criminalization of drug possession.

and

B.  Using the newly available space in prisons for keeping actual criminals, with murderers receiving the life sentence, while being provided the opening to be let out if they are concretely proven innocent?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 11:02:12 PM »
It goes without saying that I'm opposed to the war on drugs, regardless of any benefit to criminal justice.  As for the second point,  I've got no problem with putting people away,  although I have grave concerns about mandatory sentencing, which is seems you're alluding to.  Some people should probably never see the light of day again,  but that doesn't apply to everybody. 

That said,  I still maintain that the role of the penal system should be rehabilitation first,  with sequestration an important byproduct. 
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
You're suggesting that we kill all the bad guys, and a few innocents as well, rather than actually fixing the system.  Not cool.  Particularly since fixing the system really wouldn't be all that hard.  However, it's not a real appealing idea to the masses.  For all of our discussion about costs,  the support actually stems from the vengeance aspect.  That's why we'll continue to kill people and throw the rest into shitholes.  Creating a workable system doesn't satisfy the people who cheer punishment.