Author Topic: What are your parents' favorite bands/music? Any of it get passed onto you?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your parents' favorite bands/music? Any of it get passed onto you?
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
My dad's favorite band is Pink Floyd. Now it's my favorite band too.

fuck yea dad
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
My parents were born in the late 1940s, and grew up through the sixties. The only band we really have in common is the Beatles. My mom even saw them in concert in like 1964 - ticket cost her four bucks, I think. I can remember weekends as a kid with the Beatles playing on the stereo Saturday and Sunday mornings. The songs just got ingrained in my head, and then about 10 years ago when I sort of rediscovered them, I realized I knew a lot more of their material than I remembered.

That's about it for my folks and I for music, though. I don't mind the Eagles (who my dad loves) but the Beatles are the only band we share.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »
My mom listens to Tool, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, At the Drive-In, Pantera, and other awesome bands.
She must be a bad cook or something.  There's no way someone's parents are that awesome.
:lol Meh she's a decent cook. But yeah, she kicks ass. :) She's the one who got me into all those bands actually, with the exception of PT (I introduced her to them a couple years ago and now they're one of her absolute favourites, her favourite albums being Deadwing and Stupid Dream) and PF was moreso my grandpa who got me to like them.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
My Dad only listens to two bands.

1. Guns N Roses
2. ZZ Top

I like them both, and my Dad playing me Guns N Roses is what got me into rock music.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »
NONE of my musical tastes have passed onto my own children (17 and 18 years old right now).  My son listens to contemporary piano music like Joe Hisaishi, and my daughter listens to top 40 shit. 
In that case, you should check out some Hisaishi. He's no Beethoven, sure, but from all I've heard by him, he's a great, colourful modern composer with his own sound.

Dad's a huuuuuuuuge country fan. Listened to it constantly when I was growing up, and sung and played it. I plan to eventually check out a few country artists.

Mum's not a big music fan, but she does like a decent variety of stuff. All fairly popular stuff. She's big on Johnny Cash, Andre Rieu, Bee Gees, Leonard Cohen, Norah Jones, etc.

My music taste came originally largely from my older brother, who was a big fan of rock (mainly grunge and hard rock) and metal when I was growing up. He's now far more into alt-country and reggae and folk.

The only band I latched onto from my parents' record collection was ABBA. I wouldn't listen to an album of theirs nowadays, but, like a lot of pop artists, they can still put together an amazing Best Of.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:22 AM »
I know that mom likes Tom Jones and that softer stuff, I haven't really heard her put on some music aside from what's on the radio.

But my dad listened to some cool stuff, I got my music taste from him, definitely. I grew up listening to his record collection from the 60s (Beatles, Stones, The Who), some stuff from the 70s (Status Quo, Creedence Clearwater Revival) and some 80s (Dire Straits). After he passed away in 1999 I discovered other genres by myself: metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest) and later on progressive music (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd) and of course Dream Theater. I bet he would have liked DT.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:02 AM »
 :heart

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 05:45:42 AM »
My parents were really in to Barry Manilow and stuff like that, so no.

My best friend at school had really cool parents, old hippies, and so I tended to absorb most of their musical tastes instead -  Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Cream, Jefferson Airplane, various other bands. I guess I get a lot of my musical taste from them.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
As the father of 3 boys I can say that i've never forced my music on my kids, I've let them enjoy what they enjoy. although it leads to some heated debates between my oldest son and myself

Oldest 17..(plays guitar) ..listens too what i call corporate rock...Nickelback/Three Days Grace/Theory of a Deadman and the likes ( they all sound the f**kin same to me) ..his reason for playing music to sell 50mm albums and get rich even if it means playing something not from his heart, but something popular that everyone will buy

Middle 15 (plays guitar) ..when younger he listened to alot of rap and latin music (my ex-wife is Honduran) now listens to Amon Amarth/As I Lay Dying/Korn (his favorite band) has recently gotten into Dubstep I have no idea what it is, but he has a wide range of musically tastes and plays because he enjoys playing

Youngest 12..not a big music fan but goes on spurts where he listen to something to death, than not listen to music for months at a time ..recently had me add Daft Punk/Linkin Park and LMFAO to his ipod so his musically tastes are all over the place
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »
I have no idea what kind of music my mom likes. When ever we ride in the car I just turn it down. She will complain. Although she doesn't mind some of The Who. She loves christmas music.... ugh

My dad loved Pink Floyd, The Police, The Who, all kinds of awesome stuff that I love.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »
My father got me into Pink Floyd and Genesis (and took me to a Genesis gig).

My stepfather is also a massive fan of those two bands and got me into Steve Hackett, Camel, Canterbury scene bands, Yes, Mike Oldfield and Tony Banks (and took me to a Roger Waters gig and a Genesis gig, amongst others) as well as many other bands.

My mother, however, did not pass any music in particular onto me...

... But I did get her into four of her favourite bands; Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard and Opeth.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
Neither of my parents are particularly big into music, being boring middle aged types.  My mother listens to coffee house stuff.  Great victory when she got into Florence + the Machine recently.  My father has taken a liking to top 40 shit, unfortunately, but still enjoys some classic rock (REM being his favorite band since the 80s), and some popular modern acts, such as Coldplay.

Back when they were my age, though, my mother played Dark Side of the Mood to death, and was into some other popular prog and metal groups (Rush, Ozzy, etc.).  My father listened to a greater variety of stuff, and his vinyl collection contains everything from prog to funk.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
My mom gave me Bat Out of Hell and Aja when I was in middle school, both of which gave me an appreciation for more complicated/bombastic kind of rock.  BooH stuck with me more.  My dad likes classic rock, and got me into Bruce Springsteen.  All the classic rock I like though, he didn't really get me into (Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Floyd, etc).  Nowadays, my dad likes country music, and my mom likes a lot of upbeat indie/alternative music.  Vampire Weekend is one of her new favorites.  I have better conversations about music with her than with my dad.  :lol

Offline Ħ

Dad is into Queen and The Beatles, and classic rock/pop in general.  Mom has always been aboard the modern pop bandwagon.  Right now, she's into The Black Eyed Peas and Maroon 5.  I like very few classic rock bands (Pink Floyd, Queen), very few classic pop bands (The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac), even fewer somewhat modern pop artists ('N Sync, Britney Spears, yes you can make fun of me), and literally zero actually modern pop artists.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
My Dad's favorite band is Rush. He's been to every CT show since the Permanant Waves tour. So i definitely got my love for rush from him

My parents collectively are into Rainbow, Def Leppard, Dokken, Dio, Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Ozzy, Van Halen, etc.

So ive always been around guitar-driven music and still am today.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
My dad is really into music but I wouldn't call him a fanatic like most of us here; still listening to his favorite bands pretty consistently. I don't know or talk to my mother anymore so I don't know about her but when I was a child I remember her listening to Enya a lot.

Dad listens to a shitload of: Tears For Fears; Creedence Clearwater Revival; Allman Brothers; Led Zeppelin; INXS; Jimi Hendrix; Pink Floyd and.... Public Enemy  :lol only rap artists he actively listens to... a lot. He gets the oddest looks sometimes.
I've heard him listen to a few other misc. bands but I don't think he's big into them: Rush; Dave Matthews Band; The Beatles and The Doors.

Most of that was passed onto me in some form or another, either directly through a band that I now love (TFF, PE) or through influence of just hearing him listen and talk about them (LZ, INXS, Hendrix, Floyd); others, I simply respect (CCR, AB) but don't really listen to at all. My dad set up a pretty good, broad musical background for me I'd say. I probably wouldn't have gotten into DT at all if I didn't accidentally click on "The Glass Prison" on Kazzaa one day under Dream "Theatre" and him saying "That is kickass, it sounds like Floyd on Speed!"  (I have NO IDEA what kind of Floyd he was referring to, lmao). Which led me to discover this site and then countless other musicians and bands. Music is so lovely.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
My Mum: Thunder, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Marlyn Manson, Dream Theater, Oasis, Lady Gaga, Curved Air.

My Ex-Step-Dad: ELP, Dream Theater, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, ADCD, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Cream, David Bowie and loads of metal, blues, prog, folky and alternative stuff.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:37:11 AM by jonny108 »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Did you take your mum with you to High Voltage?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni

Hell yes.  :metal She didn't go the first year, but came to the last one and loved it.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
My dad's mostly into jazz and classical, and my mom's favorite band is The Eagles.  So, I guess I take more after my mom. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Hell yes.  :metal She didn't go the first year, but came to the last one and loved it.

Cool... I mean I don't need to say how much I loved watching DT, Judas or BCC... but Thunder was quite a shock...  I was almost losing it when they played River of Pain... Danny Bowes is HUGE on stage...  :metal

I'm sure your mum had one hell of a time!  :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
My parents are into classical music and Broadway musicals, with little to no appreciation for pop music, let alone hard rock, heavy metal, or progressive music of any sort. In fact, in my family, the only metalheads are myself and one of my nephews. So I largely charted my own course.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Though neither of them listen to much music nowadays I do listen to a lot of things they used to. I discovered it all on my own though. If anything, I'm the one getting them into all sorts of new stuff. My mom especially now loves, things like DT, Porcupine Tree, some Devin Townsend, the non growly Opeth stuff, ect.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Aside from a few things like percussion records and Mantavani, Mancini, and other quasi-instrumental vanilla music, they weren't really into a lot.

A friend's older brother was HEAVILY into the Beatles and all for of them solo  (I have no idea how you even GOT boolegs back then) so I have to think my obession came from that and the instrumental music.

My mom actually got into Emerson Lake and Palmer because of me, which makes me proud in a way.

The kid syphoned a lot of music (fortunately or unfortunately)he likes from me (Been to six Rush concerts in his 13 years) and some he's gotten into on his own (Corvus Corax anyone?)

Offline Ħ

A lot of you guys have cool parents.  Mine are uber-conservative and never develop their tastes in anything, ever.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cool... I mean I don't need to say how much I loved watching DT, Judas or BCC... but Thunder was quite a shock...  I was almost losing it when they played River of Pain... Danny Bowes is HUGE on stage...  :metal

I'm sure your mum had one hell of a time!  :tup

She did indeed. Thunder were amazing! I had to leave early as I needed to get to Spock's Beard. Could miss them as I got them on!  :lol

Offline robwebster

I actually passed my taste in music up.

My parents were never huge music fans. It was nice, but it was just background noise. Dad likes his classic rock, mum's got her bits and bobs, and I grew up with Status Quo, ABBA and The Monkees. All of whom I do still quite like, but they were always as likely to put on a compilation - Now That's What I Call Music 1986 or some such - as they were to put on a proper album.

Me and my brother are a lot more musical - god knows where we get it from, but we're both musicians, and both big music fans, so my taste in music has actually influenced my mum's quite a bit. She asks me to burn copies of the DT albums as they come out, for example. So, yeah, other way round entirely!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
My parents like folk. I like rock.

Now I like folk rock.

And I got my dad into Rush.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
I'm sorry for necrothreading, but I like this kind of thread.

I think I got my taste in Rock/Metal/Punk from my dad, purely because he enjoyed all the heavy stuff I liked. Then I got into DT and more proggy bands and my mum enjoyed them so she comes to DT gigs occasionally. My mum generally listened to compilation albums, rather than actual bands, whereas my dad was the other way he was like me and bought proper CDs from shops which is what I do (well I enjoy iTunes downloads now). But I think me and him have got more in common musically.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
I'm old, so my parents are ancient.  I remember the old record player in the living room and remember my parents using it exactly once the entire time we lived in the old house I grew up in.  I was the one who used it.  But long before I was old enough to buy my own records, I dug through theirs.

Johnny Cash was awesome.  I still like Johnny.  A bunch of Big Band stuff, but Glenn Miller is the only one that stuck with me.  Liberace was kinda fun, as was Mitch Miller, but I honestly don't remember any of the other artists on the regular records.  The rest was all Reader's Digest box sets of light classical, show tunes, stuff from the 40's and 50's, and the aforementioned Big Band stuff.  Other than the Big Band, the only stuff I'd even consider listening to now would be the show tunes, but that's only because I ended up playing in pit orchestras all through junior high and high school and developed a taste for some show music.  At the time, it was all uber-cheesy and unpalatable.