Author Topic: What are your parents' favorite bands/music? Any of it get passed onto you?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Just curious to see what music is spanning the generations on DTF.

My parents' tastes were so nondescript, I can't understand how I became so obsessive over music myself.  I've NEVER seen my father actively listening to music, and my mom used to slap on some "greatest hits of classical music" from Reader's Digest or something.   

One day I was digging through my Dad's old stuff and came across 2 albums that I grasped onto.  Meet The Beatles and a set of Mozart's Last 6 Symphonies.   Beyond that, it was my hippie Uncle Paul who introduced me to Pink Floyd and ELP. 

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Dad: Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, Ac/Dc, Boston, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Molly Hatchet, Styx, Metallica.  I'd say with a certainty that my dad's tastes have passed onto me  :metal

Mom:  Poison, Motley Crue, Firehouse, Skidrow, Bon Jovi.  She doesn't listen to much music anymore, but her tastes passed onto me as well.  :metal

Biological Dad:  Same as mom, Def Leppard, Garth Brooks, Metallica.  We don't get along nearly as well as we used to, but my dad dropped me some good bands.  :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
My dad listens to many different styles of music, some of his favorites would be Elvis Presley, Neil Young, The Beatles and AC/DC, but his favorite genre would be Progressive Rock/Metal, AOR/Melodic/Symphonic (in that area).
Bands like Symphony X, Threshold, Arena, Shadow Gallery, IQ, Pallas, Haken, Redemption, Royal Hunt (funnily enough, not DT), but bands like those.
Personally I share quite a lot of music with my dad, but I don't really care for that 'kind' of Prog where all those latter bands fit in, so I don't really share that side of music with him, but I share a lot of other things.
Interesting enough, my dad enjoys almost all kind of music I play in the car, everything from Agalloch and Opeth to Radiohead and Tori Amos, he has quite a wide music taste as I mentioned. :P

My mom on the other hand is fairly narrow, she listens pretty much only to hard rock/'traditional' metal, artists/bands like Deep Purple, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Ozzy, Metallica, Maiden and so on.
I used to share her music-taste when I was younger and listened to those kind of bands, but seeing as I don't anymore, we really don't have much in common on that front.
My mom is one of the people I know with the smallest amount of taste in music, if it isn't like those bands that I mentioned, she drops several complaints like the music being "too soft", "too heavy", "no melodies, no chorus" and so on.
She's pretty lame, she picks on pretty much all music that isn't heavy metal or hard rock. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Dad - Buddy Holley & the Crickets, The Ventures, The Doors

Mom - Roy Orbison, Patsy Klein

All are on my I-Pod.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Dad - Rod Steward, Bob Segar, ZZTOP, AC DC, MeatLoaf, Eagles.

Mom - Beatles

I used these stepping stones to learn and understand my musical past/history especially the Beatles.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My folks were really not into music as fans per se, but there was always music playing in my house. My father was a school teacher and everytime I see one of those best of the 70's album TV ads, it really brings me back to my childhood when my father would be sitting at the kitchen table correcting tests and the radio was on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

My parents are children of the 50's, so there was a lot of rock 'n roll and do-wop being played while I was a kid.

Dad - Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Ventures, etc.

Mom - Elvis in her younger days, unfortunately she progressed to country music as I got older.  She does enjoy New Age music though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I'm really not sure about my mother other than that she loved Elvis.  My dad listened to a lot of 50's music.  In particular, I remember the station he'd always listen to played this song "Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs, often enough that I still remember it very well.  He may have been the reason I like Roy Orbison.  Unearthly voice that I still love.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:09:14 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm an upgraded version of my mum... she loves movies (especially geeky ones)... and rock music... so this is where I got the poison.... but she stopped listening that stuff over the years....

My dad, on the other hand, has been making this statement since I'm 13....: your rebellion goes hand in hand with your wild taste in music....  :lol

but he was also the guy who took me to the radio station every Saturday night, when I had my own show in my teens  :heart

Offline HeAvY-MeTaL-MaN

My dad is massively into Queen, Genesis, ELO, Beatles, Rolling Stones and the like.  My mum is into all sorts, but mainly ballads, like ABBA and stuff like that. I love most of the music my dad likes and even the old ballad song that mum listens to so yeah, its a bit strange that im into heavy metal etc but I do also have a side of me that likes anything when im in the mood for it.

Only types of music I dislike with a passion are gansta rap (with the exception of eminem) modern pop songs like Britney spears etc, and R&B (modern).
:metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your parents' favorite bands/music? Any of it get passed onto you?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
My dad is a big fan of Pink Floyd and back in the day he used to listen to a lot of prog and rock. Nowadays he listens to jazz and some bosa nova and stuff like that.

My mom listens to shitty music that is not worth mentioning.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:18:55 AM »
My parents don't have a specific taste, but are more across the board.  I will say I acquired a lot of my love of classical music from my dad.  Got two great moments I'd like to share though...

1- I was about twelve and still thought my dad was not cool, not by a longshot.  CCR's Down on the Corner came on the radio, and me thinking I'm cool and shit, turned it up.  My dad states how he loves Creedence.  I said "who?".  He laughs, stating that that was the band we were listening too.  Owned.

2-  This happened about a year ago.  I'm in the car with my parents, in the back, and were heading to some family function.  I notice a Yes Symphonic Live disc on the ground and proceed to grill my dad about them.  He says he caught the concert on TV and loved it, so he went and bought the disc, wishing he had heard about them a long time ago.  I guess he had never heard his five boys cranking Yes since the mid '70s. :lolpalm:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
My dad was a big fan of David Bowie and a casual fan of Depeche Mode and The Cure. He also exposed me to a lot of classic rock (Zep, The Beatles, The Who, etc), but the aforementioned artists always appealed to me much more. That's probably what cultivated my love for 80s music, as well as my love for goth and industrial music.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
On the other side of the coin, nothing is getting passed from me to my kid.  I can't wait for the day when she discovers one of my bands, tries to tell me about them, and I'll be all "um, I tried to get you to listen to that when you were 15".

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
My Dad's faves are Hendrix and The Beatles.  He plays keys & guitar.  Guitar wise he's all about the blues, so like SRV, Clapton, etc.  Key wise he's all about prog and turned me on to Yes, ELP, etc.  I turned him on to DT and he has a picture in his music room of his holy trinity of key idols- Wakeman, Emerson and Rudess.  His current musical hero/man crush is Neal Morse, and he hipped me to Spock's Beard and Transatlantic a few years ago.  We colaborate on a little project that combines our blues, prog and hard rock/metal influences.  So yeah, my Dad's tastes have definitely influenced mine and vice versa.

Oh, and my Mom likes Patti Smith alot.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »

My parents' tastes were so nondescript, I can't understand how I became so obsessive over music myself.  I've NEVER seen my father actively listening to music, and my mom used to slap on some "greatest hits of classical music" from Reader's Digest or something.   

One day I was digging through my Dad's old stuff and came across 2 albums that I grasped onto.  Meet The Beatles and a set of Mozart's Last 6 Symphonies.   Beyond that, it was my hippie Uncle Paul who introduced me to Pink Floyd and ELP.

I'm with ya there.  Even though my dad had Zeppelin I and III on vinyl, I never saw/heard him listening to any rock music in the 70s.  The closest thing I can think of as something passed on to me (as a child), was my love for Rhinestone Cowboy.   :whatthe:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
 :lol  My mom always played Charlie Rich, "The Most Beautiful Girl"  That song has never left me.  It's an ear worm. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
My mother never listened to music really. My dad listens to classic rock stuff, like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Deep Purple, and a lot of those general rock compilations that all seem to have the exact same songs.

I like most of that stuff, and it definitely affected the kind of music I started off liking. The rest of my musical influence when I was young came a lot from my older brother and to a lesser degree my sister.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
:lol  My mom always played Charlie Rich, "The Most Beautiful Girl"  That song has never left me.  It's an ear worm. :lol

Thanks.  Thanks for that.  Guess what's gonna be stuck in my head all day now!

<damn... forget the emot code for banging head against the wall>
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
My mom didn't get me into them, but she is a huge fan of the Beatles and Zeppelin, both bands I love now. She also listened to a lot of the corny sixties stuff that I was never into like the Four Seasons and shit.

My dad loves Bob Dylan (who I am not a HUGE fan of but do like a lot) but this is something I didn't know until recent years.

My older bros got me into some stuff but I did most of my exploring on my own when I was a kid and home watching MTV or listening to the radio.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »

I'm with ya there.  Even though my dad had Zeppelin I and III on vinyl, I never saw/heard him listening to any rock music in the 70s.  The closest thing I can think of as something passed on to me (as a child), was my love for Rhinestone Cowboy.   :whatthe:

I think my Dad bought Meet the Beatles just 'cause, ya know, it was the cool thing to buy at the time, not because he really liked it.  If that's the case, what a poser  :lol!   Otherwise, most of his other albums were Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis and the like.  The Beatles album and the Mozart symphonies were outliers in his collection. 

NONE of my musical tastes have passed onto my own children (17 and 18 years old right now).  My son listens to contemporary piano music like Joe Hisaishi, and my daughter listens to top 40 shit. 

2-  This happened about a year ago.  I'm in the car with my parents, in the back, and were heading to some family function.  I notice a Yes Symphonic Live disc on the ground and proceed to grill my dad about them.  He says he caught the concert on TV and loved it, so he went and bought the disc, wishing he had heard about them a long time ago.  I guess he had never heard his five boys cranking Yes since the mid '70s. :lolpalm:

That definitely sounds like a WTF moment  :lol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
My Dad got me into Rush, Deep Purple, Maiden and probably formulated the more progressive side of my taste in music much more than anything else.

I also feel it brought us a lot closer together, going to see concerts together, discussing music and the like, and I got him into more modern bands like DT, Muse and post-2000 Maiden.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
My dad gave me a strong preference to Baroque music.  He's also the main reason I got into jazz.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:32 AM »
My dad grew up with punk and new wave, and that's that he listens to mostly, I guess,also some early alt-rock, some metal, and industrial as well.

He doesn't care for prog, but once, I copied him some Rush (The Caress of Steel) and he enjoyed it.

He really doesn't like talking about music, though; I dunno why.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
Mom--Big Elvis fan....can't say it rubbed of on me

My Uncle John listened to alot of the 60's R&B (Four Tops/Temptations and so forth) and 60's folk rock (Simon and Garfunkel) which I definately got into

Most of my musical tastes came from the Radio though as a child of the 70's it was alot of Zep/The Who/Beatles classic rock
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
Dad: Big fan of Michael Jackson, 80's pop and 80's mexican rock and salsa. I listen to Juan Luis Guerra because of him
Mom: She like everything danceable so nothing from her really  :lol
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Dad: The Beatles, Queen, and the reggae guy with dredlocks (forgot his name)

Mom: Journey, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync

I can see that I get my love for bright vocal melodies and harmonies from my mom.  I don't like the choreography/image aspect that my mom does though.  She likes American Idol and Dancing With The Stars with their bouncy happy performances.  I'm not a very bouncy or happy person.

From my dad I get nothing.  I don't like The Beatles (sue me) and I only like a few Queen songs.  The rest of his music is dancing-around-a-fire-pit folky stuff that makes my ears bleed.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
Me and my father both like (what he's "passed" down to me):
Queen
Metallica
Nirvana
Me and my step mom (I don't know what my mom listened to):
The Beatles

They both are into a lot of 80's and 70's type music, but I didn't list them because I used to like them, but as of right now very little of it really interests me whatsoever.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
My mom listens to Tool, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, At the Drive-In, Pantera, and other awesome bands.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
My mom listens to Tool, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, At the Drive-In, Pantera, and other awesome bands.
She must be a bad cook or something.  There's no way someone's parents are that awesome.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
Dire Straits.

And Yes.

:coolio

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
Dad: Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, Van Halen, Rush, etc. Main reason of why I listen to the music that I do.
Mom: The Eagles, Bob Seger.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
Neither of my parents are "huge" music fans, but my dad likes a lot of 70's and 80's blues, rock and pop. My mum likes a lot of softer pop as well as classical, which is cool to talk to her about. She really hates all the heavy music I listen to though.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
My dad doesn't care about music.  My mom listens to pop.  If anything, I was influenced by my ex-step-father, who listened to Metallica, Megadeth, and the like.  Otherwise, I just experienced my own musical evolution.

Offline JustinVK

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:09 PM »
Yes and Rush
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life while you're still around