Author Topic: Rush - Time Machine DVD out today  (Read 5401 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush - Time Machine DVD out today
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 05:17:55 AM »
No it's not the same shirt from the Backstage Club
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
I like the Rash t-shirt.   :tup

Does Rush actually sell those, or did someone from that Rush forum I lurk start a shirt business?

https://www.rushbackstage.com/rushbackstage/mens-apparel/rash-black-tee/index.html
Orbert, anything on the back of that Rash shirt? 

This link answers your question too. Or I don't know is that the same shirt that Best Buy sells but this copy has "Eyns, Tsvey, Dray, Dupa!!" on the back. I remember Rush sold these shirts in Time Machine tour. Cool shirt!!  :)

Thanks Orbert and Ytse!

I've thought about buying that shirt at the shows (or from the Backstage Club) more times than I can remember, but I'm not very inclined to be spending $40 on a T-shirt (It's bad enough I got a few other designs that I ranked above the Rash shirt which I have instead.)

The whole attraction to the shirt for me is what it says on the back and although the shirt is essentially $5 at Best-Buy,  there's no context and I just wanted to make sure of that.

I have an unopened Best Buy version of Beyond The Lighted Stage which a friend bought me as a gift with the Moving Pictures T-shirt in it and I've always imagined there was only printing on the front so I never opened it.

I use it as a bookend.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
That's one way to do it, I guess.  Personally, I don't care that much if it's a "real" tour shirt, or a knock-off that came in a box.  I'll wear it.  I wear T-shirts around the house all the time, and this is a new one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »
So yeah, I got the Blu-Ray, but it won't play on my PS3 because of some Roadrunner encryption key.  It claims I need to update all of my software settings, but they are up to date.  Thanks a lot, Roadrunner.  :tdwn :tdwn

Looks like I might just sell the Blu-Ray to a friend who was gonna buy it anyway and then get the DVD.

I put a request in with Santa for this but my only Blu Ray is the PS3 so I'm a bit pissed off about this. Anyone else have the same problem?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
That's one way to do it, I guess.  Personally, I don't care that much if it's a "real" tour shirt, or a knock-off that came in a box.  I'll wear it.  I wear T-shirts around the house all the time, and this is a new one.

I've got nothing against T-shirts either (I probably need to retire a few!), but in this particular case the words on the back of the shirt make it for me.

But I love this DVD, I know Geddy was under the weather and all but the performance just keeps getting better and better as the years go by. How can that be?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
Thanks to the problems with the Blu-Ray, I am selling it to a friend, and I got the DVD last week.  Looks really good, of course.  I had forgotten how funny the intros to both sets were. :lol

But I love this DVD, I know Geddy was under the weather and all but the performance just keeps getting better and better as the years go by. How can that be?

See now, I don't necessarily agree with this.  For one, while still pretty good considering his age and the abuse he did to it with screaming for years, Geddy's live vocals are definitely hit or miss now.  There are some major lines that he struggles with big time now.  And while they are still phenomenal players, Neil isn't quite as lightning fast as he was back in the day.  It is still top notch, but when you watch Exit: Stage Left, his playing on there is just flat-out sick.

And while I love getting an updated live version of Marathon, I miss the laser guy on the screen. :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 06:04:47 AM »
Oh man I loved the lazer guy on the screen.  I also loved the white lights on the crowd durring the Aaaahhhhhs at the end of the song, washing over us fans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
vocals were awful
I was embarrassed to the point of turning it off.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
Yeah, this is the only time that I was put off by Geddy's vocals.  Also, is it just me, or does the band seem a bit sloppy on this DVD?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
I haven't purchased this, and I'm having doubts now. Especially after hearing some of the samples.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
I haven't purchased this, and I'm having doubts now. Especially after hearing some of the samples.

That doesn't matter.  It's still Rush, so it's essential.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 05:25:25 PM »
I'll get it when there is a big price drop. In the mean time, there are too many good albums coming out I would rather get. Plus I already have all of the other Rush videos to hold me over until then!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
I'll get it when there is a big price drop. In the mean time, there are too many good albums coming out I would rather get. Plus I already have all of the other Rush videos to hold me over until then!

I got the Blu-Ray for $14.99 how low do you want it to drop! :lol :P

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
Yeah, I only paid $19 bucks for the DVD.  Great price IMO.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »

I got the Blu-Ray for $14.99 how low do you want it to drop! :lol :P

WHERE?! I thought it was somewhere in the range of 25-30

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Time-Machine-2011-Cleveland-Blu-ray/dp/B005D0RDKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322099052&sr=8-1

Right now it's $18 with free shipping on orders over $25. And if you watch the price it will probably dip to $15 every now and again.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
Well Z I did get it on the Thursday of the release when those bastards Best Buy always for the first 3 days sell the new releases cheaper then they jack up the price on the 4th day.  Nick's post is perfect.  Bundle it with buying a present for someone else and free shipping!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »

Geddy had a bad head cold, so his voice sounds weird at first, but after two or three songs, I didn't even notice it anymore.  When you're watching the video, not just listening, something happens and you "get into it" more and forget about the imperfections.  It's like when you're at a concert, none of that matters, but listening to a live album, somehow every little imperfection sticks out.

Also, I can't agree that they sounded sloppy.  I thought they were tight as hell, as always, and I've watched both Snakes and Arrows Live and R30 recently.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
I get free shipping from amazon anyways, so I might check it out. Still, there are so many other new releases I want, I dunno if it's worth currently getting.

I'll definitely pick it up eventually though... will be nice to have a video of the tour since it had some great gems. Gotta upgrade Snakes and Arrows to bluray too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
"Sometimes people like crap."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 11:49:04 PM »
Thanks to the problems with the Blu-Ray, I am selling it to a friend, and I got the DVD last week.  Looks really good, of course.  I had forgotten how funny the intros to both sets were. :lol

See now, I don't necessarily agree with this.  For one, while still pretty good considering his age and the abuse he did to it with screaming for years, Geddy's live vocals are definitely hit or miss now.  There are some major lines that he struggles with big time now.  And while they are still phenomenal players, Neil isn't quite as lightning fast as he was back in the day.  It is still top notch, but when you watch Exit: Stage Left, his playing on there is just flat-out sick.

And while I love getting an updated live version of Marathon, I miss the laser guy on the screen. :(

I'll agree he's (Geddy) got trouble with some vocal lines, but he's a MUCH better vocalist now than he was then.

As far a Neil goes, He sure was fast on Exit Stage Left. He was even faster on the Permanent Waves tour.  If you're looking for speed in a rock drummer who is pushing 60, I'd suggest Carl Palmer (I think he's 61). He blows Neil's doors off if we're talking about speed. If we're talking pure speed, he also blew Neil away in the 70's too.

What I'm getting at is that Neil has got more in his tool box and he's much better at fusing them together now. He's also (FINALLY!) figured out that improv is his friend. He's also found groove since he "reinvented" himself. 

I'd almost argue that he was quicker on this past tour than he was on the Presto tour (but I haven't watched much Presto Tour footage lately so I'm not 100 percent sure about that.)

If we're talking green lasers. I miss the "Good Evening" written in script before Geddy introduces Manhattan Project.