Author Topic: The addictions thread  (Read 65540 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The addictions thread
« Reply #455 on: January 10, 2023, 05:56:41 PM »
I don't touch them... Don't want to tease my memory in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, I understand.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #456 on: January 10, 2023, 06:22:49 PM »

So non alcoholic scotch is out then too?  I値l enjoy the real stuff in your stead.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #457 on: January 10, 2023, 06:34:31 PM »

So non alcoholic scotch is out then too?  I値l enjoy the real stuff in your stead.

That's actually a thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: January 10, 2023, 07:23:56 PM »

That's actually a thing.

Some people just want to see the world burn.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #459 on: January 10, 2023, 07:35:43 PM »

That's actually a thing.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Honestly, I'd love to see society in general steer away from the laser focus on alcohol as the alpha and omega answer to all of life's situations, but to do that, non-alcoholic alternatives need to become acceptable. Personally I'm not a fan of trying to mimic spirits, it has the same sincerity to me as tofurkey, tofu hot dogs, and fake meats (though Impossible meat is a solid product that I'll stand behind 100%). I'd like to see NA options on tasting menus and at bars other than water and soda and tea. It's starting to make some headway, but there still trying to make NA alcoholic drinks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: January 10, 2023, 09:34:34 PM »
One week without beer!!!!

Good work brother!  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #461 on: January 11, 2023, 06:33:54 AM »
Oh.. Well shit never knew that was a thing. Been hanging around too many alcoholics to come across a case of fatty liver disease that wasn't alcohol related. Good luck man.

I remember Clausthaler being alright, except for the whole not getting you drunk thing.

My stepson - he's 14 - was just diagnosed with fatty liver.  I'm 99.99999999% sure he's never taken a drop of alcohol (I'm not being coy or playing here; his dad is a full-blown alcoholic and possibly drug addict, and his brother struggles with alcohol a bit), but he eats for shit, though.  We do all right at home, because I cook, but I can't control him 24-7.  School is a nightmare in that regard.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #462 on: January 11, 2023, 07:40:14 AM »
At no point would I have considered myself addicted to weed, but it was definitely being used as a coping mechanism more and more often and in bigger doses. Wether it was just to deal with loneliness or major frustrations from work.

After a heroic psychedelic dose last week, I have had zero desire to have any weed, so that's nice. where as before, I would be counting down the days for a day off to use, now the desire is just not there and that is very refreshing.

I love weed but I want to be in control of it and it not in control of me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #463 on: January 11, 2023, 07:45:50 AM »
Oh.. Well shit never knew that was a thing. Been hanging around too many alcoholics to come across a case of fatty liver disease that wasn't alcohol related. Good luck man.

I remember Clausthaler being alright, except for the whole not getting you drunk thing.

My stepson - he's 14 - was just diagnosed with fatty liver.  I'm 99.99999999% sure he's never taken a drop of alcohol (I'm not being coy or playing here; his dad is a full-blown alcoholic and possibly drug addict, and his brother struggles with alcohol a bit), but he eats for shit, though.  We do all right at home, because I cook, but I can't control him 24-7.  School is a nightmare in that regard.

As a diabetic, my diet is pretty decent. My GI doctor told me that 1 in 3 people have a fatty liver, and before Ben chimes in.. ;D yes it's probably due to our overall diets. For me, it's how my diabetes affects digestion is what my Primary said.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #464 on: January 11, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »

when I first stopped I was still drinking NA's for three or four months after I stopped with the real stuff. I quit because it certainly was a fine line and slippery slope. I've never revisited any NA's because of what you're saying RJ....I don't know that I 'trust' myself....even after 14 years of sobriety   (15 this June  :omg:)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2023, 07:53:52 AM »

when I first stopped I was still drinking NA's for three or four months after I stopped with the real stuff. I quit because it certainly was a fine line and slippery slope. I've never revisited any NA's because of what you're saying RJ....I don't know that I 'trust' myself....even after 14 years of sobriety   (15 this June  :omg:)

And honestly, I drink for the blackout. NA beer is just a cruel reminder that the blackout is still somewhere out there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2023, 08:22:18 AM »
At no point would I have considered myself addicted to weed, but it was definitely being used as a coping mechanism more and more often and in bigger doses. Wether it was just to deal with loneliness or major frustrations from work.

After a heroic psychedelic dose last week, I have had zero desire to have any weed, so that's nice. where as before, I would be counting down the days for a day off to use, now the desire is just not there and that is very refreshing.

Any chance you'd like to talk a bit more about this? I'm not personally in that spot, but I've heard stories about psychedelics helping with various personal issues including addiction. I find it very interesting and maybe a path forward for many people in the future.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »

Any chance you'd like to talk a bit more about this? I'm not personally in that spot, but I've heard stories about psychedelics helping with various personal issues including addiction. I find it very interesting and maybe a path forward for many people in the future.

I'm sure Adami can speak more to it, but it's being widely studied at this point, with a certain provable level of efficacy. I heard an interview a few weeks ago with a guy who runs a therapy center that does guided trips for such a purpose, and many come out of it with zero desire to use, and continue on to long term contended sobriety.

It should be noted that Bill W, AA's founder, experimented with LSD in this exact fashion, trying to 'manufacture' the spiritual experience that the steps are designed to create. Seems he was ahead of his time in so many ways when it came to addiction science.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2023, 09:26:05 AM »
Yeah, I've read or watched countless stories now about this, but never heard it directly from someone who tried using psychedelics for this purpose.

I think I'd actually be more open to trying this to stop me from eating such shit food  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #469 on: January 11, 2023, 09:34:55 AM »

Sure, I'd be happy to.

My whole life I've struggled with metal health issues, most of which stemmed from a violent, traumatic and broken home growing up. I found I was being a mean, cold and uncaring person to people around me since I was holding on to all this anger, sadness and pain. And eventually, I just came to the point where I wanted to heal and grow toward being a better person.

After trying the conventional therapy with a few therapists and psychologists it just wasn't really helping and then I stumbled the Johns Hopkins hospital psilocybin studies they were doing for depression, anxiety, PTSD and and addiction. Seeing how much success they were having in the research, I just went all out studying this stuff and that led me to a substance called ayahuasca.

ayahuasca is a vine found in South America that is high in DMT, which is the strongest psychedelic that is known currently. They make it into a brew which you drink.

The night I drank ayahuasca was probably the defining moment of my life and a major turning point. It was the most profound, powerful experience that i've ever had. Its hard to express in words, but somehow someway it lets you revisit, confront and make peace with past trauma while in that headspace. I was crying my eyes out in a way I never had before and in a way that brought me so much peace to finally confront this stuff that was buried so far deep down.

I'm not going to sugar coat it either. It was the struggle of my life. Not everyone vomits while using aya, but I sure did. some people did after 15 mins, while it took me 4 hours to finally purge. I was holding on to all that negative stuff and struggled so hard to let go, but after I did purge I felt utterly incredible.

I felt like I had a totally fresh slate, and I felt cleaner then I ever have in my entire life. People often talk about a concern with psychedelics being a "bad trip". In my experience, these are really just "challenging trips".  Psychedelics let you face your demons, and there's nothing fun about that. But at the same time there's nothing fun about living a life of hate and sadness.

So while, it was extremely challenging and painful. Coming out the other side having freed myself of that pain was worth it a million fold. I feel like this treatment was finally the thing that helped me in a meaningful way.

I worked with ayahuasca at a facility with medical staff and therapists and counselors present. They monitored peoples vital signs and provided support both emotionally and physically. It was good "Set and setting" to do the work since you felt safe to just focus on the experience.

That was almost two years ago at this point. Now, I would love to say that that was that and my life it 100% good now, but its not some magic wand. I feel like this treatment can give your life back to you, but it can't live your life for you. And life can be very messy and trying at times. I do feel far more patient, open minded and far less angry. Like everything I was dealing went down from a 10/10 to like a 4/10, which to me any progress is better than no progress.

About a year later, I just wasn't feeling all that great for a multitude of reasons, and then I began to work with psilocybin (aka magic mushrooms) and I have only used them twice, one of which was last week.

The first time was again very challenging, but helped so incredibly. Basically the message was that with ayahuasca I purged all the bad stuff out of me, but then proceeded to just pick it up and carry it with me, and during this session the core defining message was "just let it go" and it was a fight of me trying to hold onto my pain and it working with me for a good 2 hours to finally let it go. And it felt so utterly incredible to do so.

And very happily, with psilocybin there was no vomiting for me, although some people do.

And last week's session was really just a tune up. If the theme of psilocybin session one was letting go of the past, this one was about enduring the present. And the message was that I have the strength to endure this life and to believe in myself.

And honestly I don't really want to work with psychedelics any further. I feel like I've done what I've come to do and I would like to just get on with my life. But if I ever do need to go back for a tune up, then this is something that I know helps.

Some people like to use psychedelics recreationally (which is fine by me), but for me personally I look at it as a medicine. In two years I've used them 3 times total, and each time I feel like I've moved the ball forward a little bit more in growing as a person. And ultimately, in a world full of so much negativity, I want to play a positive role.

Is this treatment perfect? No, but It's certainly given me hope in my life for the first time. And I will say that while this worked great for me I don't think it's for everyone and I respect that. But ultimately in a world where someone commits suicide every 40 seconds, it's worth a shot to look at new methods.

There are different countries where its legal currently and what's on the horizon now in the US are states that have now legalized psychedelic mental health treatment such as Colorado and Oregon, and it looks like New York state is filing legislation to vote on this year as well as other states looking to as well. Its also being researched and pursued for the VA for veterans who are struggling with PTSD from combat.

So that's my story. Thank you to anyone that took they time to read all of that.

If you or anyone else wants me to elaborate any further or have more questions, feel free to ask. And sorry for the length. I just had so much to say.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: January 11, 2023, 09:56:51 AM »
That's really incredible and lines up with some of the stories I've seen before with ayahuasca. 

Were you scared the first time?  Because I feel like I would be and I wonder if your current state would alter how things went.  Like if I'm scared instead of excited, am I going to have a different experience?

Also, while I personally may be iffy of wanting to try something like this at some point, I totally agree that these options should be available to the many people out there who could really use help when the current methods out there just aren't helping them.  I also think it's great to get this sort of treatment via a legit route with the help of medical people around you.  Most stories seem to be people going to South America to a shaman in some village and all that just really makes me uninterested in ever trying such a thing. But I understand some people may be at such a breaking point where that's their only option, and it really shouldn't be that way. 

I'm glad more research is being done here, it's very interesting and the potential is huge.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: January 11, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »

And honestly, I drink for the blackout. NA beer is just a cruel reminder that the blackout is still somewhere out there.

You and me both brother.....I'm with ya' on that. Good Lord, the level of self destruction involved in that style of drinking  :'(

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2023, 10:10:41 AM »
That's really incredible and lines up with some of the stories I've seen before with ayahuasca. 

Were you scared the first time?  Because I feel like I would be and I wonder if your current state would alter how things went.  Like if I'm scared instead of excited, am I going to have a different experience?

Also, while I personally may be iffy of wanting to try something like this at some point, I totally agree that these options should be available to the many people out there who could really use help when the current methods out there just aren't helping them.  I also think it's great to get this sort of treatment via a legit route with the help of medical people around you.  Most stories seem to be people going to South America to a shaman in some village and all that just really makes me uninterested in ever trying such a thing. But I understand some people may be at such a breaking point where that's their only option, and it really shouldn't be that way. 

I'm glad more research is being done here, it's very interesting and the potential is huge.

Thanks

I actually wasn't scared the first time and I think that's mainly because I didn't really know what to expect, despite reading people's accounts.

I was just so eager to find some relief, that I think that was overriding any fear. Each time going forward though, I've been very scared since I know through and through what I'm getting into.

But despite the difficulty, I still have no regrets each time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2023, 10:45:01 AM »

You and me both brother.....I'm with ya' on that. Good Lord, the level of self destruction involved in that style of drinking  :'(

There's a common theme in AA stories, where they talk about a point where the alcohol just doesn't work anymore, that you keep drinking but that sense of ease and comfort that comes with a drink, that familiar 'aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh' sensation we get after a few drinks, never comes. In my really rough days before I quit, I experienced this as well, that the blackout wasn't happening. As a favorite AA speaker of mine says,"I kept drinking, and you're not going away...that was never the idea"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2023, 10:45:06 AM »
I can't contribute much to that discussion other than last weekend I did mushrooms for the first time in about 16 years. I went to see the new Avatar in Imax (4th time) and it was ridiculous. It felt like magic.

On the topic of addictions, today marks one month no smokes. I hate it. I still want them all the time. Every time I walk past someone smoking one, every time I see one on TV, every time I get a ping from my project manager.... it's all I can think about. I've found myself not drinking simply because the craving for a smoke is so unbearable. I turn into an irritable asshole without them. I can't wait till those cravings finally subside.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2023, 10:51:04 AM »
I can't contribute much to that discussion other than last weekend I did mushrooms for the first time in about 16 years. I went to see the new Avatar in Imax (4th time) and it was ridiculous. It felt like magic.

On the topic of addictions, today marks one month no smokes. I hate it. I still want them all the time. Every time I walk past someone smoking one, every time I see one on TV, every time I get a ping from my project manager.... it's all I can think about. I've found myself not drinking simply because the craving for a smoke is so unbearable. I turn into an irritable asshole without them. I can't wait till those cravings finally subside.

Quitting smokes fucking sucks...even after 8 years I still crave them occasionally. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're at the very beginning. :lol

After 25 years of mostly 2 packs a day though, it only took six months for my doc to say 'your lungs sound great!!'... I still linger in the smoking sections and wistfully inhale the smells though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2023, 10:52:18 AM »

Nice work and stick with it!!! You'll be much happier and healthier without it.....gonna be rough the first little bit but keep your eyes on the prize!!!  Approaching 21 years nicotine free for me which is just crazy to think about  :omg:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »
RJ and/or any one else who has stopped an addictive vice (drinking/smoking/weed etc etc)

A handful of times a year I'll have a pretty vivid dream where in that dream I'm either drinking, smoking a cig....chewing tobacco....whatever the vice 'was'.... and it's SO real! Like the taste and smell and experience is 100% there......To the point of me being so upset at myself in the dream I'm either crying or just utterly devastated that I've fallen off the wagon and when I wake up the immense feeling of 'relief' that it was only a dream is so comforting.

You guys ever have these types of dreams?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #478 on: January 11, 2023, 11:12:51 AM »
I do, but they're usually meth dreams, and I've been off meth for 20 years. It usually happens when I see someone using on TV or something. I occasionally have drinking dreams as well. I never regret it in the dream, and upon waking, just chalk it up to getting a freebie   :lol

They're very common.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2023, 11:15:18 AM »
I do, but they're usually meth dreams, and I've been off meth for 20 years. It usually happens when I see someone using on TV or something. I occasionally have drinking dreams as well. I never regret it in the dream, and upon waking, just chalk it up to getting a freebie   :lol

They're very common.

That's funny.    It's just such a strange thing on how 'real' it feels.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2023, 11:35:24 AM »

They're very common.

Did you dream of a hangover the next evening?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2023, 11:39:52 AM »

They're very common.

Did you dream of a hangover the next evening?

Ha! Nope.....just thankful it wasn't 'real'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »
At no point would I have considered myself addicted to weed

I知 sorry but I read that and just had to post this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwG3HWubpZI

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »

One of my favorite scenes ever  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »

Don't even have to click it  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2023, 03:20:02 PM »

The funniest part isn't Saget's line (though that's funny, too), it's the "I seen him!" right after. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2023, 08:32:53 AM »

There's a common theme in AA stories, where they talk about a point where the alcohol just doesn't work anymore, that you keep drinking but that sense of ease and comfort that comes with a drink, that familiar 'aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh' sensation we get after a few drinks, never comes. In my really rough days before I quit, I experienced this as well, that the blackout wasn't happening. As a favorite AA speaker of mine says,"I kept drinking, and you're not going away...that was never the idea"

I went back yesterday and listened to this guy's pitch again, and man, talk about nailing the feelings of detachment that happen during late stage alcoholism...

https://youtu.be/eba0TRdGjZc?t=1795

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2023, 06:25:27 AM »
For those of you that have overcome an addiction and have stayed free of it a for the long term, what do you do when you feel the "call" and urges for the thing you were addicted to?

Does it ever go away?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2023, 06:50:55 AM »
For those of you that have overcome an addiction and have stayed free of it a for the long term, what do you do when you feel the "call" and urges for the thing you were addicted to?

Does it ever go away?

No...it never goes away. I'm almost at 12 years, and I'll still get the voice in my head that says I can handle just one beer. For me, and I'm definitely on the extreme side of recovery, it's not a matter of fighting each craving one by one, but being constantly in a state of recovery so that I'm always in a position to where the cravings just slide off me like they're nothing. I attend 3-5 meetings a week, I meditate and do my recovery readings every morning, I usually talk to my sponsee daily, and speak with my sponsor once or twice a week, and I'm a very active member of my home group, to where I'm usually getting calls or messages many times a day about whatever is going on be it some procedural stuff or an alert of a new guy who needs help. I also listen to speaker tapes and podcasts on my drive into work to get my head in a good starting place. Recovery is a 24/7 job, and I'm always working on it. If I'm not, then I'm just working on a relapse.

Some may see all of that as an extreme time commitment, but considering where I was 12 years ago, it's nothing. And being that huge a part of AA isn't a chore, it's a gift. They were there for me on my worst day, gave me a seat and a warm place to call home. It's my responsibility to ensure that I do the same for the next drunk that walks through the doors. As the song says (and this is ripped directly from AA literature as is a good deal of the 12 step suite),"I am responsible, when anyone, anywhere reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA to always be there. And for that, I am responsible"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #489 on: March 15, 2023, 08:04:51 AM »
Thank you lonestar

I was definitely curious to get your perspective.