Author Topic: Herman Cain - Sexual Deviant or Victim of Character Assination  (Read 2007 times)

Offline livehard

Herman Cain - Sexual Deviant or Victim of Character Assination
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
So this is become a giant circus, a 4th accuser just came forward.  According to some celebrity lawer defending the alleged victim: "Mr. Cain instead decided to try to provide her with his idea of a stimulus package"

:lol I am sorry but if he actually said that, thats one of the best lines I've ever heard.  I kinda want to vote for him for his pure wit.  Neverthless, I wanna see some hard evidence, but even if he is guilty I guess he's more of a politician than we previously thought.  This doesn't seem to be hurting his poll numbers. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Herman Cain - Sexual Deviant or Victim of Character Assination
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
So this is become a giant circus, a 4th accuser just came forward.  According to some celebrity lawer defending the alleged victim: "Mr. Cain instead decided to try to provide her with his idea of a stimulus package"

:lol I am sorry but if he actually said that, thats one of the best lines I've ever heard.  I kinda want to vote for him for his pure wit.  Neverthless, I wanna see some hard evidence, but even if he is guilty I guess he's more of a politician than we previously thought.  This doesn't seem to be hurting his poll numbers.
His popularity is actually dipping..

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
Funny story, I guess, like Bachmann and Perry before him, but I doubt he'll be in the spotlight too much longer. 

https://www.filibustercartoons.com/index.php/2011/11/03/tastes-like-failure/#more-4891

I'd say this comic I found sums up my thoughts about the primaries. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »
I really hate how this is being treated like it's actually important at all. 

Nevertheless, as far as the question posed in the title, it does seem awfully likely that he's been messing around.  Big deal.  I'm just tired of hearing about it, and I see no reason why it's treated as such a significant thing.  But hey, that's American politics, I guess. 

His popularity is actually dipping..

Well yeah, something like this definitely isn't going to help him.   :lol  But I'm surprised at how minor the dip has been so far.  Maybe there'll be more of one if/when some harder evidence shows up, but so far it doesn't seem to be ruining him yet.  I'd like to hope that we're starting to move away from letting silly personal things that have absolutely no significance to how someone would do in office affect our judgement of the candidate, but with all the media buzz I'm guessing that everyone's just waiting for something more concrete to pin him to here.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
I don't think the the man is really running for President, he's selling his book. He never set up an organization, and he seems more intent on trying to sell his book than actually campaign.

I have no problems with a politicians sleeping around, but when you seem to have a history of sexually harassing woman, that says something about your character, and who you are. Not like it would have mattered to me though, as there's no way I would ever have voted for him. Cain's response to all the allegations are also just making it worse, because he keeps changing his story, and blaming the media for "accusations." As Jon Stewart pointed out, the media is not making allegations, they are reporting other peoples allegations.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
I don't think the the man is really running for President, he's selling his book. He never set up an organization, and he seems more intent on trying to sell his book than actually campaign.

From the looks of it, he's got a good shot at ending up as the Republican nominee.  Not a snowball's chance in hell of winning the actual election, but he's possibly going to end up much closer than others who've run to promote things. 

I have no problems with a politicians sleeping around, but when you seem to have a history of sexually harassing woman, that says something about your character, and who you are.

Can't agree here.  Though I wouldn't be voting for him either, it wouldn't be on the basis of how he conducts himself in his personal life.  People are always seemingly trying to draw a connection between political and personal conduct, but in my opinion there's nothing to suggest that a person can't be a sleazy piece of shit in his personal life and a good, judicious politician in his career life.  I'd rather have that than an ultra-clean (IE better at lying) piece of shit who does his job sloppily.

Again, not supporting Cain here, just throwing that out.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
Sexual harassment is kind of a subjective thing.   Seems like the line separating flirtation from harassment is generally a moving target.  If the allegations were that he was using his professional influence to manipulate the situation,  then I can see how that'd reflect pretty poorly on him.  If he was throwing around suggestive comments and innuendo,  then I don't see how that's necessarily inappropriate unless he doesn't knock it off when he's asked to. 

Still,  this is American politics.  It's a joke.  Half will defend him and half will attack him for it.  Whether it's true, false, right or wrong has no bearing here. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »
I think he is trying to win a betting pool with his Godathers Pizza managers. The pool is to see who is closest to the day of how many days he can lead in the polls. I think he won. No one in their right mind would have bet he'd make it this far. Unless it was the last guy in or something and he was stuck with this far out. His journey in the process makes me want to slam a door on my head; or move full time to Canada.  :facepalm:

Mitt Romney must be thinking, "Whose next? Willard Scott?" He's done everything short of selling his soul to jump ahead and nothings worked. Perhaps soul selling is what it takes now.

The whole process gives me the heebie-jeebies.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Sexual harassment is kind of a subjective thing.   Seems like the line separating flirtation from harassment is generally a moving target.  If the allegations were that he was using his professional influence to manipulate the situation,  then I can see how that'd reflect pretty poorly on him.

That's the most recent allegation.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/fourth-woman-accuses-cain-of-sexual-harassment-20111107?mrefid=election2012

Speaking at a press conference in New York City and flanked by celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, Sharon Bialek, a Chicago resident who worked for the NRA from 1996 to 1997, said Cain suddenly reached out and grabbed her after drinks and dinner in Washington D.C. in the summer of 1997. She had left her association job in Chicago, Bialek said, and had traveled to Washington to meet with Cain to ask him for help finding a new job. It was then, she alleged, Cain attempted to force her into a sexual favor in exchange for a job while the two were in a parked car.

From the looks of it, he's got a good shot at ending up as the Republican nominee.  Not a snowball's chance in hell of winning the actual election, but he's possibly going to end up much closer than others who've run to promote things. 

Doesn't mean he actually thought he would win the nomination. I'd say it says more about the Republican base, as well as their candidates, that Cain has been able to do so well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Sexual harassment is kind of a subjective thing.   Seems like the line separating flirtation from harassment is generally a moving target.  If the allegations were that he was using his professional influence to manipulate the situation,  then I can see how that'd reflect pretty poorly on him.

That's the most recent allegation.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/fourth-woman-accuses-cain-of-sexual-harassment-20111107?mrefid=election2012

Speaking at a press conference in New York City and flanked by celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, Sharon Bialek, a Chicago resident who worked for the NRA from 1996 to 1997, said Cain suddenly reached out and grabbed her after drinks and dinner in Washington D.C. in the summer of 1997. She had left her association job in Chicago, Bialek said, and had traveled to Washington to meet with Cain to ask him for help finding a new job. It was then, she alleged, Cain attempted to force her into a sexual favor in exchange for a job while the two were in a parked car.
If that one's true it should sink him.  Don't know if the base will care,  somehow I doubt they will,  but that's exactly the sort of behavior that should disqualify somebody from political service.  The sexual aspect of it is irrelevant to me.  It's the exchanging of influence for favors that's problematic. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
Whiles these types of things more often than not turn out true I just can not believe that any story like this is true right off the bat, especially when you have these victims magically coming out of no where. I agree with Barto that the term harassment is a completely malleable term that can mean anything from a poor passing joke to full blown physical encounters yet still results in the same punishment. Cain's always been amusing and bewildering in this race anyways so I don't have much investment in this ordeal. I did get a little irked when some woman on the news (assuming one of the "victims") publicly stated "Just come out and admit what you did!". I just think it's kind of unfair to judge someone's word vs someone elses's word, especially when it seems it'll be one-sided from the get go. I'm not trying to sound misogynistic but I always think of the Duke lacrosse case whenever something like this comes up.

Online millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
For me, the allegations are less troubling than the fat that he referred to a discussion of them as a "lynching".  He pretty much proved that he's a piece of garbage, willing to sell out the tragedy of his ancestors to try to score a cheap political point.  Right there, he proved that he has no character whatsoever.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
I just love how it too 14 year to bring this up?!  Hold on to that gem and wait for the moment. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:25:47 PM »
Whiles these types of things more often than not turn out true I just can not believe that any story like this is true right off the bat, especially when you have these victims magically coming out of no where.

They didn't come out of nowhere. Two of them were filed way back then, and we're just reporting on it now.

Offline jsem

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »
Rachel Maddow doing her thing. I don't agree with her on every issue, but she completely pwned on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySTT-rxwSs

She calls Herman Cain an art project. Herman Cain has got to be the biggest troll in world history.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
I agree that he's far from a serious candidate.

However, I'd say he's less troll and more fame-seeking tool. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:58 AM »

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Being a troll suggests he wouldn't even care about winning the nomination.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jsem

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Being a troll suggests he wouldn't even care about winning the nomination.
I don't think he does. He just wants publicity. Well, actually, he'd want to be president for that reason alone. He's there to make money and make a name out of himself. He is a complete joke.

Offline livehard

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »
I dont see any evidence that he is going through all this to make money...

Offline jsem

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »
He's going on a month long book tour atm. He has no real campain staff.

Allright, it's not to make money, it's for the lulz.