Poll

Have you made use of those services?

Yes
10 (11.6%)
No
76 (88.4%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Prostitution: Yay or nay?  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Prostitution: Yay or nay?
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
I like having my genitals not covered in sores or suddenly dripping all over the floor. :lol :lol

I love when I randomly drip all over the floor. Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know which fluid you're gonna get.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Yeah if it was legal they could have laws for standards and also the girls could unionize or something to make sure their work conditions are up to a good standard for them.
It's actually the opposite in this instance.  Legality in Nevada only creates a framework that empowers the brothel owners instead of the girls.  What's needed is for the government to be uninvolved so the market will create better conditions and the girls can take care of themselves. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
I guess, but state laws could be passed to protect the girls.  Just like there are laws protecting me as a worker.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:45 AM »
I guess, but state laws could be passed to protect the girls.  Just like there are laws protecting me as a worker.
Ya gotta be 18 to whore yourself out,  and no outside party is allowed to take any of your money (save taxes, of course).  I wouldn't object to a condom rule,  although that should really go without saying.  Other than that,  regulations will only make things harder for the girls.  The main thing is to make sure the power to create and control the situation lay with the girls and not some douchebag pimp. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »
Well yeah that's what I'm talking about. Giving them the right to refuse a customer, protections from abuse or whatever else.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
Well yeah that's what I'm talking about. Giving them the right to refuse a customer, protections from abuse or whatever else.
1) You think they currently don't have the right to refuse a customer?
2) And what, exactly, could the government put in place to protect a girl from an asshole that beats her? Especially, what would they be able to do that the market doesn't already? It's in the brothel owner's financial interest to keep his/her prostitutes not beaten up.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
2) And what, exactly, could the government put in place to protect a girl from an asshole that beats her? Especially, what would they be able to do that the market doesn't already? It's in the brothel owner's financial interest to keep his/her prostitutes not beaten up.

Do you have a problem against worker's rights or something?

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »

Do you have a problem against worker's rights or something?
No.

edit:
If it's hard to see... what I'm getting at is that granting someone a right they already have does NOTHING for them. Granting prostitutes the right to refuse a customer is useless because they don't have to have sex with everyone willing to pay. Similarly, granting them the right to not be abused is useless because abusing people is already illegal. I have nothing against rights for workers. I just think that making these particular things as explicit rights is redundant.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:23:16 AM by slycordinator »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 10:52:37 AM »
Neither of those statements hold water in Nevada.  In that system they're not supposed to refuse a customer.  The onus is on the girl to provide a damn good reason,  and even then they'll probably be fined more than they would have made for doing him in the first place.  As for the beatings,  there are a couple of issues there.  The brothel owners like girls to have outside pimps, so they can take care of things on the outside.   Also keep in mind that as far as the brother owner is concerned,  the customer is king and the girls are property.  If a customer runs amok beating the shit out of their property,  then they'll likely intervene.  If it comes down to a he said/she said situation as to what went on in the room,  the girl's probably on her own. 
E.F. Benson

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
definitely NO.  Not to mention it's immoral, prostitution is also one of the major cause for AIDS and other sexual diseases.
but ideal is one thing, the fact is another thing.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
prostitution is also one of the major cause for AIDS and other sexual diseases.
Not in Europe or the USA or other very developed countries...

Also I don't see what's immoral about it. I don't think I would ever make use of such a service but I don't think it's immoral at all.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »
Voted no, I've known guys who have done though. It's weird because on one hand, I believe it should be legal and regulated, I don't see any immorality within it at all and I can even be swayed by arguments that it empowers women and so forth... but then when you actually walk round the red light district in Amsterdam, or hear that a guy you know has been there, it just sickens me. The percentage of women who are willingly choosing to do the job above other options is I'm sure very, very small and I'd say the rest either have no other options to make money, have a drug problem they need to find money for, they are working illegally in a country they can't work legally in, they're brought places by sex traffickers or are under threat of force if they don't comply. So I just fnd the whole thing pretty much sad, but it would be better in general if it was legalized and regulated... but that ain't gonna stop the people doing it illegally, too so you can't really win :(
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
The way I see it is that it has been around since man has been around.  All throughout history, prostitution was there.  Obviously making it illegal does not get rid of it.  I think it should be legalized and regulated and have those regulations enforced.  It will not go away.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
Neither of those statements hold water in Nevada.  In that system they're not supposed to refuse a customer.  The onus is on the girl to provide a damn good reason,  and even then they'll probably be fined more than they would have made for doing him in the first place.
That's ridiculous but apparently I was wrong.

Also keep in mind that as far as the brother owner is concerned,  the customer is king and the girls are property.  If a customer runs amok beating the shit out of their property,  then they'll likely intervene.  If it comes down to a he said/she said situation as to what went on in the room,  the girl's probably on her own.
While this is likely a fair statement, it still shows (imo) why a specific "right to not be abused" won't really change anything.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »
My point has been that the girls need to be able to protect their own rights.  I think with decriminalization,  that would be the case.  That's never been possible in this country.  Either they're criminals or they're the property of pimps; legitimate or otherwise. 
E.F. Benson