Author Topic: [NSFW] Aransas County (TX) Judge William Adams caught beating own daughter  (Read 6866 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Here's a brief overview. Aransas County (Texas) Court-at-Law Judge William Adams beat his own daughter (16 at the time) with a belt, striking her in the legs 17 times in this video (not for the faint of heart as it is unreasonably cruel) from 2004. Apparently he'd caught her downloading some leaked music and games and this beating was just one in the midst of several that had either already occurred or would occur at later dates.

The irony that his job involves deciding whether parents are fit to raise their own kids is disturbing to say the least.

Full story: tl;dr version is available in the red text

Link to the actual (identical to what I quoted) story

CORPUS CHRISTI  — The 23-year-old daughter of a Texas family law judge says that she feels some regret about posting online video of her father violently beating her with a belt several years ago but that she hopes it forces him to get help.

The clip posted last week on YouTube shows Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams lashing his then-teenage daughter 17 times on the legs.

"I'm feeling some regret for publishing the video because to ruin my own father is heavy indeed. But I really want him to seek help," the person identifying herself as Hillary Adams tweeted on a Twitter account.

In another tweet moments later, the person said, "Please spread the word that my father needs professional help and not hatred. We can offer him the tools to be a better person."

Rockport, Texas, Police Chief Tim Jayroe said Wednesday that his department has launched an investigation after receiving numerous calls from concerned citizens who saw the video uploaded onto YouTube.

“Obviously it is a very disturbing video. We in my office as well as everyone on earth is taking a look at it, at this time,” Aransas County Attorney Richard Bianchi told the Houston Chronicle.

'I lost my temper'

The seven-minute, profanity laced video shows a man hitting a girl repeatedly with what appears to be a belt during an ordeal that started over her downloading of music online, NBC station KRIS-TV of Corpus Christi reported on its website.

A message posted with the clip said Hillary Adams, 16 at the time the video was made, suffers from ataxic cerebral palsy and that the beating took place because she used the Internet to illegally download music and games that weren't available for legal purchase at the time.

The video was posted Oct. 27 on YouTube.com but gained international attention after being posted on the Internet site Reddit.

The video had 300 hits Tuesday evening. As of 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, it had 225,000. By late  afternoon, the video had nearly 700,000 hits.

William Adams admitted that he was shown in the video. "It happened years ago ... I apologized," he told KRIS-TV.

He confirmed that it was his daughter who had been beaten and tried to explain what happened when the video was shot in 2004.

"I lost my temper," Adams told KRIS-TV. "Her mother was there, she wasn't hurt... it was a long time ago... I really don't want to get into this right now because as you can see my life's been made very difficult over this child."

When asked if he felt he was going to face suspension or discipline from the state over the video Adams responded, "In my mind I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child when she was caught stealing. I did lose my temper, I've apologized... it looks worse than it is."

Graphic violence
The video shows a man violently whipping a girl in the legs 17 times and growing increasingly irate, while she screams and refuses to turn over on a bed to be beaten.

"Lay down or I'll spank you in your (expletive) face," the man shouts. The girl wails and pleads for him to stop.

Aransas County Sheriff Bill Mills said Wednesday that Adams, a family law judge who handles child abuse cases, had disconnected his phone because of threatening calls and faxes after the video went viral. Mills said Adams told him he did not plan to go to his office at the courthouse Wednesday.

No one answered the door at William Adams' home in Rockport on Wednesday, and repeated calls to his office rang unanswered.

A neighbor said she saw Adams packing up to leave with bags, a briefcase, clothes and rifles, which his girlfriend carried to the truck.

"He looked like he was here for a purpose," said Stephanie Perry, who lives across the street.

The video spawned at least four Facebook pages including "Prosecute Judge Adams" and "Don't Re-elect Judge Adams."

'Get the belt'
The beating appears to take place in a bedroom and the man is apparently unaware that he's being filmed.

"Go get the belt. The big one. I'm going to spank her now," the man says in the clip's opening seconds.
A few minutes into the video, a woman appears and barks at the girl to "turn over like a 16-year-old and take it! Like a grown woman!" She hits the girl once with the belt.

The ordeal then appears to be over for about a minute when both adults leave the room and shut the door, but then the man returns and the beating resumes.

Hillary Adams said she set up the camera because she knew "something was about to happen." Toward the end of the video, her father shouts that he plans to beat the girl "into submission" and rants about having a computer in the house and the problems it causes. The video ends with the adult woman telling her to leave the room and sleep on the sofa.

The woman, who identified herself as the girl's mother and who is now divorced from Williams, responded on Facebook pleading for support, KRIS-TV reported.

The woman, Hallie Adams, wrote: "I am praying for my daughters and me and my family to heal in all ways from emotional and physical abuse, for the current and continuing abuse of my children and me that has been ongoing to end — starting now — for my daughters to both finally be able to go to counseling both individually and as a family group with their Dad's approval, encouragement, involvement and support, for him to finally make amends to all of us, talk openly with us, and take the first steps to letting our broken family heal."

Not for revenge
Local officials said they're stepping up the police presence in Rockport, a city of 9,000 residents, after people flooded police phone lines to complain about the judge and have called in death threats to the courthouse.

"Let's just say that I had more than 40 emails in my personal account, compared to my average of none and we haven't talked to people in London before," he said.

Jayroe said he has asked the Texas Rangers, the state's top investigators, for help in the investigation.

Jayroe said investigators were trying to contact Hillary Adams, who now lives in the San Antonia area, and he was moving ahead with efforts to subpoena the original video.

"Right now we're trying to get a hold of the original contents of the video, which can be very accurate or very inaccurate," Jayroe said.

Meanwhile, Hillary Adams told KRIS-TV that she was safe and decided it was time to release the video. It was unclear how old she was at the time of the video.

"My father's harassment was getting really bad, so I decided to finally publish the video that I had been sitting on for seven years," Adams told KRIS-TV.

"It had happened before, and had been escalating," Adams said. "I set up a camera, and I caught it."

She said she posted the video for validation, not for revenge.

"I knew that the right time was approaching and I had held onto the video for so long for the right time," she said.

"I told him that I had the video, and he acted like he had nothing to worry about," Adams said. "And I said, I can post the video of you beating me on the internet and he said, 'Well, you can do that if it makes you feel better.' So I did."

Adams said she's overwhelmed with the media reaction, and the reaction from popular sites like Reddit, who encouraged users to share the video.

Adams said she hopes her next step will be closer to a brighter future.

'Act of brutal violence'
Elected in 2001, William Adams draws an annual salary of $138,055 as Aransas County's top judge. He dealt with at least 349 family law cases in the past year, nearly 50 of which involved state caseworkers seeking to determine whether parents were fit to raise their children.

Texas' Department of Family and Protective Services is aware of the video and "will take the appropriate steps in this matter," agency spokesman Patrick Crimmins said in an email. He said the agency would have no further comment.

Steve Fischer, a longtime attorney in Rockport, called Adams fair and a "better than average" judge. He said Adams sometimes shows anger, but not in a way that would be considered unusual.

Children's advocates roundly condemned the beating as abuse. However, investigators may decide that the judge's actions, while shocking to many, weren't criminal.

The lines between what's deemed child abuse and what's considered an acceptable level of discipline differ in various parts of the country and among various social groups, though the use of objects such as belts and sticks is usually seen as beyond any normal physical punishment, said David Finkelhor, a University of New Hampshire sociology professor who heads the school's Crimes against Children Research Center.

Jim Hopper, a clinical instructor in psychology at Harvard Medical School and a child abuse expert, said there is no doubt that the judge's actions crossed the line.

"This is an act of brutal violence," Hopper said.

"To beat someone into submission is not discipline. To beat a child into submission makes it harder for that child to take in rules and the values that the parent believes they are imposing on the child."

Hillary Adams' parents divorced in 2007 after 22 years of marriage, according to court records. The divorce petition states that "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities," but a counter-petition filed by Adams' ex-wife states that the divorce was filed under grounds of "mental cruelty."

Court records show that the couple had another daughter who was 6 at the time.

Keaton Fox and Andy Liscano from KRIS-TV contributed to this report, as did The Associated Press.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: [NSFW] Aransas County (TX) Judge William Adams caught beating own daughter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
Certainly the guy's a dick,  but this thing's seeming a little too sensationalized.  I get the irony of his job and all, but this is getting a whole lot more attention than a shit-ton of much more egregious cases. 

On a side note,  if there were awards handed out for the abysmal attempts at damage control,  "my life's been made very difficult over this child" should be engraved on the lifetime achievement trophy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
On a side note,  if there were awards handed out for the abysmal attempts at damage control,  "my life's been made very difficult over this child" should be engraved on the lifetime achievement trophy.

:lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
She's a regular from another forum I go to, so... this one hits a bit close, though I don't believe I've ever talked to her much on there.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:00:59 AM »
whoa, that is a bit close.
has she shared her thoughts on the matter?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »
No, she hasn't been around as much, but a few regulars on the board know her personally and have been talking about it. Since I don't know her that well, I've stayed out of it, but to see the news spread to here and other forums is just really surreal.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
This was a fairly regular thing in my childhood, except it wasn't always a belt.  There were boards a few times and a bullwhip too.  Yes, there are more egregious cases of abuse in existence, but that doesn't change the fact that this man is a fucking oxygen thief.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
As if we didn't have  enough dumbasses in Texas.  What kills me is that he said "it wasn't as bad as it looked".  How is that even possible  :omg: ?  And the fact that he resides over child abuse cases (from what I heard on the radio yesterday, and Russ Martin [local jock] is usually pretty accurate with facts), its amazing what he was capable of.

More power to the daughter for being able to come out with the video.  From what I know (don't ask), I've heard the statute of limitations is 10 years from the time she turned 18.  And oftentimes, it takes MUCH longer than that for the child to have the courage to do what she did, if ever.

I hope he fries.   :xbones :flame:  :xbones :xbones :xbones
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
As if we didn't have  enough dumbasses in Texas.  What kills me is that he said "it wasn't as bad as it looked".  How is that even possible  :omg: ?  And the fact that he resides over child abuse cases (from what I heard on the radio yesterday, and Russ Martin [local jock] is usually pretty accurate with facts), its amazing what he was capable of.
A man who knows a thing or two about domestic violence.   :lol

edit: just making a joke about RM.  No bearing whatsoever on the comment or the case.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Good point, Barto!!  I didn't even make that connection!!  Nicely done. 

Sorry, folks.  Inside joke for Dallasites.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
news.yahoo.com/judge-daughter-posted-beating-video-spite-214103601.html

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A Texas family law judge says his daughter posted a YouTube video of him beating her several years ago because he told her he was reducing her financial support and taking away her Mercedes.

Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams issued a statement through his lawyer on Thursday in which he questions his daughter Hillary's motives for posting the secretly-made 2004 video online last week.

I guess this is basically in the same vein...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:16:26 AM »
Jeez, the mother is supporting it too. What is wrong with those people...

BTW, FYI, even made the German news, saw that yesterday.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
They're not going to file charges against the guy citing a 5 year statute of limitations.  Part of me thinks this is reasonable,  but I can't help but to think that part of it is the Texas Good Ole Boy system.  Cops don't get busted,  and I suspect judges don't either.

Regardless, this doesn't trouble me.  What does is that I suspect this guy could go on presiding over family courts for decades to come.  In plenty of places they'd have already tarred and feathered the guy.  Down here,  he might well do well by the family values crowd who support beating the shit out of children who misbehave.  If he were facing reelection today, rather than 3 years from now,  I suspect this would hurt him somewhat,  but not necessarily enough to cost him the election.  I know he faces some kind of review board,  and it's possible they might stick it to him,  but just as likely they cite the oft-used "this has no bearing on his years of wonderful service" mantra.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
That video is pretty harsh.  Belts hurt like a sonovabitch.  I got one once or twice when I was a kid, but even then it was only one or two licks. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:39 AM »
I've certainly gotten a slap or two in my childhood and rightly so in those events, but that there is plain abuse and sadism. Fucked up, seriously.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 04:23:14 AM »
I've certainly gotten a slap or two in my childhood and rightly so in those events, but that there is plain abuse and sadism. Fucked up, seriously.

rumborak
Yeah, I definitely earned mine as well.  But that video is messed up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:11 AM »
I think the most fucked up thing isn't just the violence, but all the porno-sounding language accompanying it. "Bend over that fucking bed!" "Lay down and take it like a fucking woman!", etc. That, more than the beatings itself, proves to you the dad has issues. Beatings are one things, and even justifiable, and if they had crossed the line alone I could see how it might have been a one-off thing that might not be a HUGE deal. But beatings that cross the line accompany verbal abuse of an almost sexual nature are inexcusable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »
I agree, yeah. This wasn't a one-off by a father who temporarily lost it. This was born out of some perverse understanding on how a father is allowed to rule over his child. Which the mother seemingly agreed with.
While I understand that he can't be charged for child abuse, I would hope his employment as a judge is a different matter.

rumborak

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »
That dude is a waste of a human being and if he just happened to croak right now, the world would not have lost anything of worth.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
That dude is a waste of a human being and if he just happened to croak right now, the world would not have lost anything of worth.

What happened to rehabilitation and that all life is sacred, no one is a lost cause way of thinking?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
Yeah, you can't charge him, but it is mind-blowing to me that this guy is looking to return to the bench in short order...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »

What happened to rehabilitation and that all life is sacred, no one is a lost cause way of thinking?

I still believe that, and I would love it if this dude could/would get rehabilitated, but until then, he is scum and is an oxygen thief.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
I would usually never go to these extremes, but this. Maybe it's just me over-reacting because I've never seen fullblown abuse of this calibre, but this is just horrible.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:20:51 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »
I agree with Phil Lynott and numerals. The fact that you can clearly see the guy bringing his arm back so far before each lash of the belt makes it obvious he was attempting to inflict as much force as possible. People usually have a much lower threshold of pain when they're kids too (I know she was 16 but still not quite an adult) so he definitely could've instilled the fear he was attempting to with much weaker lashes. Either way, I still don't support that kind of parental discipline.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 05:57:41 AM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
I can only hope to clerk for a judge with such high moral character when I graduate.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
I can only hope to clerk for a judge with such high moral character when I graduate.

Keep in mind who it is that become judges.  Most are lawyers who develop political connections and are able to get some political clout behind them.  I.e., they are lawyers and politicians, all rolled into one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »

Keep in mind who it is that become judges.  Most are lawyers who develop political connections and are able to get some political clout behind them.  I.e., they are lawyers and politicians, all rolled into one.

:eek