Author Topic: Americans' want Reagan, and why American's are stupid.  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Scheavo

Americans' want Reagan, and why American's are stupid.
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/bring-back-reagan-americans-poll-213338129.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If they could somehow bring back a past president, many Americans would sooner have a Republican in office than a Democrat, a survey released on Monday showed.

Thirty-six percent of those polled said they would pick Ronald Reagan over Franklin D. Roosevelt, as the world's largest economy continues to struggle, according to the poll by 60 Minutes television show and Vanity Fair magazine.

"Bring back the Gipper, say 36 percent of Americans who chose Ronald Reagan over Franklin Delano Roosevelt (29 percent) when asked which past president they would want in the White House in these trying times," 60 Minutes and Vanity Fair said in a statement announcing the results.

Only 14 percent opted for Thomas Jefferson to return to office.

I don't understand what the rest of the article devolves into, thanks random information?

Anyways, the reason I think this is hilarious, is that American's want Reagan, but then they disapprove of Obama, who politically is much closer to Reagan than any of the current Republicans - yet they want a Republican in office.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Americans' want Reagan, and why American's are stupid.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:56:45 PM »
I thought it was common sense that the majority of the ideals of the Reagan admin were the foundations of the approaches that neo-cons used to drive the US into the ground.

Anyhoo, I agree with you that those people are out of their mind with their overwhelming adoration of Ronnie, and may I ask you what your say is on Ford?  I've heard a lot of negatives about Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, and so forth, but very little good or bad about Ford.  Assuming their is much to say of him.  I'm just curious.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
The only thing I personally know about Ford is that he backed an embarrassing policy failure the first time the swine flu was supposed to come around in 1976.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:01 PM »
What exactly went down in that incident?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
Don't really know much about Ford, other than he wasn't elected, and he pardoned Nixon.

I thought it was common sense that the majority of the ideals of the Reagan admin were the foundations of the approaches that neo-cons used to drive the US into the ground.

That's my take on it, but Obama has been heavily criticized by Republicans several times for basically taken Reagan policies.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:33:50 PM »
What exactly went down in that incident?

A highly mismanaged vaccination program that cost a lot of money, the media sensationalized some alleged swine flu contracted from test subjects, and after all that...the massive swine flu pandemic that was supposed to be solved by the vaccination program never even happened.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
I'd take FDR over Jefferson, although I dig Jefferson more as a person.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
It's quite a long stretch to say that 36% of Americans speak for all Americans. That is, unless they're in the right states  ::)

It's even more a stretch to say "Americans are stupid." What a petty blanket statement.

It's yet a greater stretch to say that "Americans are stupid" based on what 36% of Americans may say in some random magazine's poll.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:44:20 PM by ddtonfire »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Ya, you're right, my statement that American are stupid is based upon a lot more than this study.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:17:38 PM »
 :yeahright

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:24 PM »

Anyhoo, I agree with you that those people are out of their mind with their overwhelming adoration of Ronnie, and may I ask you what your say is on Ford?  I've heard a lot of negatives about Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, and so forth, but very little good or bad about Ford.  Assuming their is much to say of him.  I'm just curious.
Ford started the "look forward, not backward" bullshit that removes all accountability from high office.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »
As his daughter said after the first debate,  Reagan would be mortified by the current crop of Republicans.*  These people have nothing in common with him politically and as human beings they're hate-filled and shallow.

*assuming of course that he knew who they were, who he was, where he was or what country this was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
Nice thread title Scheavo.  Next time, if you want to avoid a warning or worse, do it without the insults.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."