Author Topic: A DT lineup scenario  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
A DT lineup scenario
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:02:49 PM »
O.K. First of all…thanks for bothering to open this.
I was just thinking, hypothetically, perhaps on down the road awhile, what if an opportunity presented itself for DT and their management to re-vamp their lineup. Not that there’s a single thing wrong, or less-entertaining with the current configuration!
Say MP was to rejoin the band but…here’s the cool part…Mangini was kept in the lineup. That’s right, a double-drum lineup of the band. There could be an extended drum duet segment (providing breaks for other members) and there could be various rhythmic interpretations of the band catalogue. The possibilities could be endless!
Then , I was thinking, why not take it up a notch. Why not have Sherinian return as well. (Please don’t bother labeling me a Kev-basher or Kev-dismisser by not mentioning him).
I don’t know about you people, but I would most certainly pay a higher ticket price for a 7 member lineup of the band like this. They could put on a 3 hour plus show with all the members getting a break at various points. Different configurations of the band could also perform different works.
Of course, an obstacle could be finding a venue big enough to hold such a show every other night,  particularly in North America.  Fitting 2 drum sets and 2 keyboard rigs could prove a challenge to crew and possibly promoters. Another could be the fact that the band/management would have to split the spoils more ways. Perhaps there would be no financial incentive for such a change.
But…I’d love to see that show.
I don’t know. It’s just an idea that popped in my head and I wanted to share it with you people to see what you thought.  I personally would like to see more of the Mangini lineup in the studio and in concert before the next lineup change
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: A DT lineup scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
I've seen very few acts that work well with two drummers. I wouldn't mind having Derek back though.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
It's cool to think about, I guess, but I have a feeling that it's way more awesome in theory than in execution.

Offline johncal

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:53 PM »
That would not work.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
With music as complex as DT's, this would not work.  Bands with 2 drummers generally have looser, not-so-prog-rock styles.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
I think their final tour should be:

MP - Drums
MM - Drums
JLB - Vocals
JP- Guitar
JR - Keys
DS - Keys
JM - Bass
CD - Backing Vocals/Lead Vocals on WDADU Stuff

KM - Keys/Samples if he would want to do it

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »
I think their final tour should be:

MP - Drums
MM - Drums
JLB - Vocals
JP- Guitar
JR - Keys
DS - Keys
JM - Bass
CD - Backing Vocals/Lead Vocals on WDADU Stuff

KM - Keys/Samples if he would want to do it

Otherwise know as the biggest clusterfuck know to man ever.  :lol

While I do think it would be cool for MP, DS, or even dare I say it . . . Kevin Moore (I honestly don't think that kev will ever do this, as he seems to have established that there is no Dream Theater and it never really existed.) to preform again with DT, I think it would most likely be at a one off show very similar to the When Dream And Day Reunite show. I suppose we shall see what happens as the years go by.

Matt

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 04:23:25 AM »
Having all of those members for a one-off WDADRU style show would be great. The more the merrier in that case. But as an official "line-up" of the band it would be ridiculous.
They've got so much talent in the band right now that anyone else at all would be entirely redundant.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
Would never happen. At least not for a full show/tour. As far as people coming on for a song or so, I find that a bit more plausible for everyone but MP. And, since that's already been done before, there's no need to do it again.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:48:29 PM »
*coughUnionTourcough*
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints