Author Topic: Sandwich Thread  (Read 8408 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sandwich Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
The important distinction is that roasted turkey sucks. Smoked turkey, ideally mesquite, is great. I'd consider an exception for fried turkey. The one time somebody brought one over I thought it was pretty good, certainly better than plane ole roasted turkey, but nothing mindblowing. Moreover, the fact that we even need to know what the moist-maker was, and it sounds disgusting, BTW, is proof enough that roasted turkey sucks for pretty much everything.

I cannot think of one thing I'd want cornbread to be a part of.

Butter, melted.  That's it  :lol I don't mind cornbread but it's definitely not a "bread" I eat with anything besides itself, and if so, it's likely at a Boston Market or something.

Corn bread is alright but it isn't as amazing as people in north carolina make it out to be. It's usually dry and flakey.
Some cornbread is great. Some isn't. Just like anything else. I don't have any particularly preference for how it should be. I just like some and don't like others. That said, speaking of turkey, cornbread stuffing is great. It's a fine accompaniment to chili and a variety of other soups/stews. Hushpuppies make the world a better place. Cornbread definitely has its applications.

I mentioned Boston Market because I worked at one in high school, but the stuffing was made from leftover corn bread there (although their stuffing was never that good IMO, but not due to the breading)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
The important distinction is that roasted turkey sucks. Smoked turkey, ideally mesquite, is great. I'd consider an exception for fried turkey. The one time somebody brought one over I thought it was pretty good, certainly better than plane ole roasted turkey, but nothing mindblowing. Moreover, the fact that we even need to know what the moist-maker was, and it sounds disgusting, BTW, is proof enough that roasted turkey sucks for pretty much everything.

I cannot think of one thing I'd want cornbread to be a part of.

Butter, melted.  That's it  :lol I don't mind cornbread but it's definitely not a "bread" I eat with anything besides itself, and if so, it's likely at a Boston Market or something.

Corn bread is alright but it isn't as amazing as people in north carolina make it out to be. It's usually dry and flakey.
Some cornbread is great. Some isn't. Just like anything else. I don't have any particularly preference for how it should be. I just like some and don't like others. That said, speaking of turkey, cornbread stuffing is great. It's a fine accompaniment to chili and a variety of other soups/stews. Hushpuppies make the world a better place. Cornbread definitely has its applications.

I mentioned Boston Market because I worked at one in high school, but the stuffing was made from leftover corn bread there (although their stuffing was never that good IMO, but not due to the breading)
I never thought Boston Market was all that good honestly. Not matter what I get it always leaves me unimpressed. There were a couple of sides I liked, but nothing that couldn't be found better elsewhere. As for their cornbread, they should probably just call it a muffin for all the sugar they put in it. For what it is it's just fine, but it sure seems like it'd be far too sweet to turn into stuffing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:02 AM »

I LOVE leftover turkey, but the reality is, it's really a vehicle for everytihng else.  I would never eat a sandwich that is bread, turkey, and condiment, though I certainly would if it's good roast beef, for instance.   My wife gets these pita things, they look like a figure 8 and I'll put some ham, cheese and a splash of mustard on for a quick sandwich.  I would never do that with turkey.

Though I too like the fried turkey; we've done that the last few T-Givings, and it's a winner.  Friggin' mess, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
I never thought Boston Market was all that good honestly. Not matter what I get it always leaves me unimpressed. There were a couple of sides I liked, but nothing that couldn't be found better elsewhere. As for their cornbread, they should probably just call it a muffin for all the sugar they put in it. For what it is it's just fine, but it sure seems like it'd be far too sweet to turn into stuffing.

There's nothing special about Boston Market really.  However, on the topic of sandwiches, I do think their turkey, chicken, and meatloaf sandwiches are all really good.  Apparently they have a fried chicken sandwich now to compete with the popeyes/chick fil a's of the world, haven't tried it though.

But I almost never see meatloaf sandwiches on the menu at restaurants.  So when I do go to Boston Market, I often get that and I really like it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
What the hell is a moist-maker?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »

I can't remember the actual definition of it, but I do know where I first heard of the term.

Ross's Sandwich - Friends

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »
Count me in for the fried turkey vote. Hell, I'll even eat the breast meat which is usually dry on a traditionally cooked bird but fried? - OMG  :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »
I first tried Boston Market in the Minneapolis area during the summer of '95.  For a counter service chain, I thought it was simply outstanding.  I ate there several times during that summer.  A few years later, they eventually came to California.  I tried several, and thought the quality had declined substantially from what I remembered. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »

I can't remember the actual definition of it, but I do know where I first heard of the term.

Ross's Sandwich - Friends

That's it.

Shit really works!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »
I first tried Boston Market in the Minneapolis area during the summer of '95.  For a counter service chain, I thought it was simply outstanding.  I ate there several times during that summer.  A few years later, they eventually came to California.  I tried several, and thought the quality had declined substantially from what I remembered.

It's fairly inconsistent from store to store from my experience.  And I think the quality has also gone down generally in the years since I worked there (over 15 years ago now).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2021, 03:12:35 PM »
Damn, you must've had some shitty assed roast turkey in your life. I mean I'll take smoked over it as well, but I've had some really, really good roasted ones. Someday try a dark meat roulade confit in duck fat, it'll put anything else to shame.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2021, 05:48:17 PM »
Damn, you must've had some shitty assed roast turkey in your life. I mean I'll take smoked over it as well, but I've had some really, really good roasted ones. Someday try a dark meat roulade confit in duck fat, it'll put anything else to shame.
I've had some very good roast turkey. I'd just say that in the pantheon of meats turkey is definitely going to be among the minor players. Not even Vesta or one of the lesser known Olympians. We're talking Hekate or Rhea here. Seriously, does Turkey even crack your top 12 meats? Top 20? And while it certainly has its applications, many wonderful, roasting is probably the third or fourth best way to prepare an already disadvantaged protein.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2021, 06:02:35 PM »
I've had some very good roast turkey. I'd just say that in the pantheon of meats turkey is definitely going to be among the minor players. Not even Vesta or one of the lesser known Olympians. We're talking Hekate or Rhea here. Seriously, does Turkey even crack your top 12 meats? Top 20? And while it certainly has its applications, many wonderful, roasting is probably the third or fourth best way to prepare an already disadvantaged protein.

You severely underestimate my passion/love for a turkey sandwich. It'd definitely have a spot on my Mt Rushmore of casual foods right next to street tacos, cheese pizza and ice cream. Top twelve meats? It'd be in the top 5 probably...

1- Dungeness crab
2- Alaskan Halibut
3- Lamb
4- Beef (must be good choice or higher at least)
5- Turkey
5 (tie)- Pork
7- Lobster
8- Chicken
9- Venison
10- The rest of the fish except salmon, don't like salmon at all
11- Prawns
12- Clams and other bivalves

That's off the top of my head don't flame me if I forgot something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »
That's a mighty fine list.  For me, I think my recent experience with duck would make me have to include it on a list like that.  I have a couple of friends who duck hunt regularly, and one of them regularly shares with us.  His wife doesn't really like it very much (or, should I say, didn't), which worked to my advantage.  I can't say I like every duck preparation I've ever had.  But my wife does a pan sear in a cast iron pan at high heat, with red wine and bleu cheese sauce, and it is out of this world (very short sear at high heat, so you get a NICE hard sear on the outside, but inside is still rare).  She let my friend and his wife try it, and now she loves it.  :lol

Anyhow, again, nice list.  Of all of those things, I would probably put turkey down near the bottom of that.  But that said, when prepared well, I really, REALLY enjoy it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2021, 06:17:49 PM »
Bloody hell I forgot all about crab melts!   :facepalm:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
1. Hamburgers
2. Turkey
3. Chicken
4. Bacon
5. Beef Tenderloin (thinly cut on a nice roll smothered in Hellman's mayo)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
Bloody hell I forgot all about crab melts!   :facepalm:

My brothers old restaurant used to do hot dungeness crab rolls with melted cheese on brioche. Omfg best ever.

@bosk- good call in duck, I'd amend my list but I'm too lazy, but a proper duck breast or cofit leg is bomb for sure.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2021, 07:42:47 AM »
Guys!  Talk more about sandwiches!

BTW, it's hard to top a classic Reuben.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2021, 07:45:39 AM »
Who gets fancy with their grilled cheese at home?  Bacon?  Apples?  What cheeses? What is your go to bread?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2021, 08:32:13 AM »
Who gets fancy with their grilled cheese at home?  Bacon?  Apples?  What cheeses? What is your go to bread?
Nah, I'm a grilled cheese purist.  I don't really want any added items.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »

What's your go to cheese and bread then?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2021, 08:56:54 AM »
I love a good simple grilled cheese with cheddar and maybe some Munster as well. I also love stuffing them with good crisp fries. I don’t need anything fancy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
I hardly eat grilled cheese, but I havent experimented much.  White bread and cheddar with butter.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2021, 09:08:24 AM »

Pretty simple.  White bread, American or cheddar.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

Pretty simple.  White bread, American or cheddar.

Shredded cheddar on the inside, AND outside of a grilled cheese sammy.  The older, the better.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:40 AM »
The only time I do a grilled cheese sandwich is when I have leftover ham, so I don't guess that counts. In my case grueyere or baby swiss are usually the ticket.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2021, 09:56:18 AM »
There's a local pub that used to serve one of the best grilled cheese I've ever had.  For the life of me, I can't recall what cheese they used.  But it was on Texas toast, and in addition to the cheese (which was fantastic), it had thick cut sriracha candied bacon and grilled hatch chile pepper, caramelized onions, and thin slice of tomato. 

I'm all in favor of going fancy with grilled cheese.  But I'm also fine with the basic as well.

EDIT:  Just found an old menu online, and it said they used brioche instead of Texas toast, so I may have been wrong about the bread.  But I do remember it was sliced pretty thick, but still toasted well.  They also said they used mozarella and cheddar, and while I do recall it being a mixture of cheeses, I seem to recall there being more of a tangy cheese as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:01:29 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »

Me:  Ham and tomato, with just a smidge of brown mustard on mine.  I usually use American, but I'm open to suggestions.  Butter or a very very thin coat of mayo on the outside, and I may drop a dollop of bacon grease in the pan if I'm feeling naughty.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »
Semantics... but if you have ham on a grilled cheese, isn't it just a ham and cheese sandwich now? Or ham and cheese "melt"

I feel like once you add meat to a grilled cheese, it's no longer a grilled cheese but a hot/toasted/melt sandwich.

And of course there's nothing wrong with that, a ham and cheese melt is fantastic.  Same with turkey and cheese.  Or roast beef and cheese.  Generally, I like hot food better than cold so hot sandwiches are something I really enjoy, which is probably why I used to love Quiznos so much.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2021, 11:30:32 AM »
 a good turkey club   3 slices of toast ( whole wheat preferably),  bacon ( of course lol ) lettuce tomato and mayo   a dash of salt  maybe...  a side of fries or potato chips   all set 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:40:38 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
To an extent, yeah, it is just semantics.  But I guess if the "star" of the show is tons of melted cheese, and there is a small amount of meat added, I would still consider it a grilled cheese.  Whereas, if it is a meat sandwich with a slice of cheese, I would consider that a "[meat] and cheese." 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »
I think it might be, because it's a common side to a sandwich, but is this the place to ask "what cheese do you prefer in your macaroni and cheese?"

I'm sort of searching for that "next level" flavor in mac-n-cheese.   And yes, I'm a heathen there too; I will often include ground beef, panchetta or prosciutto in my mac-n-cheese.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »
I think it might be, because it's a common side to a sandwich, but is this the place to ask "what cheese do you prefer in your macaroni and cheese?"

I'm sort of searching for that "next level" flavor in mac-n-cheese.   And yes, I'm a heathen there too; I will often include ground beef, panchetta or prosciutto in my mac-n-cheese.

sign me up   sounds good to me
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »

about 10 years ago I would have their pot pies once in while   was not bad at all

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2021, 12:04:32 PM »

Nothing wrong with adding some meat like the ones you suggested, or some crumbled bacon. 

As for cheese, I typically make mine with a primarily cheddar sauce, with some asiago added.  On top before popping it into the oven, I will do a layer of American cheese (for a hint of that "traditional" mac & cheese flavor), followed by a layer of panko and more grated cheddar.