Author Topic: Sandwich Thread  (Read 8363 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sandwichthread
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
That tomato sandwich needs to go, wtf if that.  And if I were to eat a tomato sandwich, it would be on italian bread with some oil and or balsamic and fresh mozz.  If that was presented, I'd probably remove the baloney sandwich.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:05 AM »
The wife makes tomato sandwiches.  She lightly spreads mayo then added spices to it like basil and oregano and pepper.  Slaps on a slice of cheese and it's every good.   I do like on some artisanal, hearty breads though. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 09:21:41 AM »
The wife makes tomato sandwiches.  She lightly spreads mayo then added spices to it like basil and oregano and pepper.  Slaps on a slice of cheese and it's every good.   I do like on some artisanal, hearty breads though.

Yeah, I think that white bread in the picture is a major turn off to an actual tomato sandwich

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 09:29:02 AM »
Tomato can go, cuz everything in there is enhanced with bacon, lettuce (and cheese ... who doesn't put cheese on a BLT?)

Give me a nice fried egg sammich, and I've started my day off right (which I did this morning).  Turkey Club is planned for lunch.

Rankings of the above:

BLT
Grilled Cheese
PB&J (gotta be crunchy PB though)
Egg Salad
Bologna
Tomato

BLT's are LITERALLY the only thing cheese isn't good on.   I NEVER put cheese on my BLT.  

In that list, I would ditch the tomato sandwich; I like them, but they don't hold a candle to the others.  I LOVE a baloney sammich better if the baloney is lightly fried.   Egg sandwiches are the bomb, but they have to be done right (need a little celery in there for crunch).

My favorite sandwiches are Italians (Sarcone's in Philly is topnotch, though I heard rumblings they closed), or a good Philly steak and cheese (Jim's, on South Street, in case anyone cares).

Of all the times I've though you weren't right in the head, these two just skyrocketed to the top of the list.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Celery??  On a sammich??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 09:33:44 AM »
Yea.. celery on an egg sandwich? I'm assuming it's from the picture of a breakfast egg sandwich not an egg salad sandwich.  I can see it on egg salad, but not on a breakfast sandwich.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2021, 09:51:40 AM »
Tomato can go, cuz everything in there is enhanced with bacon, lettuce (and cheese ... who doesn't put cheese on a BLT?)

Give me a nice fried egg sammich, and I've started my day off right (which I did this morning).  Turkey Club is planned for lunch.

Rankings of the above:

BLT
Grilled Cheese
PB&J (gotta be crunchy PB though)
Egg Salad
Bologna
Tomato

BLT's are LITERALLY the only thing cheese isn't good on.   I NEVER put cheese on my BLT.  

In that list, I would ditch the tomato sandwich; I like them, but they don't hold a candle to the others.  I LOVE a baloney sammich better if the baloney is lightly fried.   Egg sandwiches are the bomb, but they have to be done right (need a little celery in there for crunch).

My favorite sandwiches are Italians (Sarcone's in Philly is topnotch, though I heard rumblings they closed), or a good Philly steak and cheese (Jim's, on South Street, in case anyone cares).

Of all the times I've though you weren't right in the head, these two just skyrocketed to the top of the list.  I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

Celery??  On a sammich??

No, no, when you mix up the egg salad, put some diced celery in there.  I do the same thing when I make tuna salad (which I love).   Two cans of tuna fish, packed in water, a half-stalk or so of celery, finely diced, salt (be careful, the tuna is sometimes salty itself), pepper, and mayo.   Mix it up, put it on a piece of white bread, lay a slab of American cheese on it, put it in the broiler, then add the second piece of bread, and voila!   Only thing that makes it better is a cup of tomato soup. 

I've already given my recipe for a breakfast sandwich:   meat (sausage or bacon, though ham will do), on a hard roll with a swipe of mayo, salt, pepper, tomato, then fry an egg (preferably using the grease from the bacon if you have it; I keep some in a can near the stove like my grandma did) over medium, putting the cheese on top after I flip the egg and covering the pan so the cheese melts.   I don't over cook the egg, because I want some of that yolk to drip out over the rest of the sandwich.   There's nothing "green" in or on my breakfast sandwiches. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2021, 09:54:36 AM »
When I was little my mom knew I hated celery and substituted lettuce mixed in my tuna.  The sacrifices moms make for their children.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
If the subject is sandwiches a normal person could make on their own, I'm going with roast beef and cheddar heated in the oven, with horseradish mayo. Smoked turkey will do in a pinch. Anytime I've got BBQ leftover from lunch that goes into a sandwich. The nice thing about that is that it doesn't matter what you've got leftover. It all works great. And if there's leftover coleslaw that makes a fine addition.

If we're talking about best all-around sandwiches, a place up here does a shaved ribeye with blue cheese and caramelized onions that's a dame fine piece of work. A taqueria I used to hit up a lot has a giant torta with ham, milanesa, and chorizo (along with the typical torta fixins) that probably topped my list. All the better because they dice up the ham and saute it with the onions and jalapenos.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »
The tomato sandwich is elegant and wonderful in its simplicity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
If the subject is sandwiches a normal person could make on their own, I'm going with roast beef and cheddar heated in the oven, with horseradish mayo. Smoked turkey will do in a pinch.

I'm with ya on this...... except the turkey. Turkey is just lame unless it's a whole turkey..........:metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »
I usually don't buy roast beef for whatever reason, I guess for cold cuts I'm usually a turkey guy, but that sandwich pretty much sounds like arbys which makes me want to try something like that out at home. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 01:07:10 PM »
Can we find a way to put a space in the title?  It freaks me out to see all of that in one word.
Yo
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Sandwich Thread
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »
Ok, Bill... you dug yourself out of a whole on the egg SALAD sammich having celery.  I'm down with that.  Tuna salad ... not so much.  Tuna Melt is the only way to go with tuna (along with a hard boiled egg mixed in as well).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »
We use dill relish a dab of mayo, a small amount of mustard and pepper when making tuna fish.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2021, 02:02:29 PM »
Top 4 Sandwiches for me:

1.  Reuben - traditional style but will occasionally sub turkey pastrami.

2.  Thin sliced roast beef (a lot) on dark rye spread with cream cheese, red onion, tomato, and cucumber slices and a dab of French's yellow mustard.

3.  French Dip - just sliced roast beef on french roll and au jus.  Simple and easy.

4.  BLTA (yes, mashed avocado occasionally substitutes for the mayo) on white, non-toasted bread

I don't mind a good egg salad but along with the finely chopped celery, I'd like some finely chopped dill pickle too and maybe some chopped green onion. *chef's kiss*

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:09:24 PM by Harmony »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »
All this talk is making me want a BLT, I have all the goods at home to make one for dinner.  Was going to grill some burgers but maybe I'll pivot.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2021, 02:37:50 PM »
If the subject is sandwiches a normal person could make on their own, I'm going with roast beef and cheddar heated in the oven, with horseradish mayo. Smoked turkey will do in a pinch.

I'm with ya on this...... except the turkey. Turkey is just lame unless it's a whole turkey..........:metal
Turkey sucks. Unless it's smoked, then it's pretty good. The whole turkey, a la Thanksgiving, is a waste of table space.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:38 PM »
I love turkey, probably my go to deli meat and I'm a big fan of a thanksgiving turkey too  :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2021, 02:44:42 PM »
Top 4 Sandwiches for me:

I love the idea of reubens, but rye bread is one of the most evil things ever created. I'm not sure, but I think Hitler may have been involved.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »
I love turkey, probably my go to deli meat and I'm a big fan of a thanksgiving turkey too  :biggrin:

Me too!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2021, 02:52:08 PM »
And I also hate rye bread, I'll enjoy a reuben but it can't be on rye.  Same with pastrami.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »
Pumpernickel is my go to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »
Top 4 Sandwiches for me:

2.  Thin sliced roast beef (a lot) on dark rye spread with cream cheese, red onion, tomato, and cucumber slices and a dab of French's yellow mustard.

3.  French Dip - just sliced roast beef on french roll and au jus.  Simple and easy.

4.  BLTA (yes, mashed avocado occasionally substitutes for the mayo) on white, non-toasted bread

I don't mind a good egg salad but along with the finely chopped celery, I'd like some finely chopped dill pickle too and maybe some chopped green onion. *chef's kiss*

I'm pretty much down with everything in this list. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »
Top 4 Sandwiches for me:

I love the idea of reubens, but rye bread is one of the most evil things ever created. I'm not sure, but I think Hitler may have been involved.

I'm rarely surprised these days, but this did it.   Wow. 

I grew up with fresh rye bread baked at Ann's Bakery sliced on one of those things that look like a medieval torture device; couple slabs of butter, and I'm good to go.   It does make for shitty toast, though.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
Top 4 Sandwiches for me:

I'm rarely surprised these days, but this did it.   Wow. 

I grew up with fresh rye bread baked at Ann's Bakery sliced on one of those things that look like a medieval torture device; couple slabs of butter, and I'm good to go.   It does make for shitty toast, though.
I'm pretty much a strictly whitebread kind of guy. I love bread, I probably go through 4 baguettes a week, but if it's not regular flour and maybe yeast, I'm probably out. If cornbread actually qualifies as bread that would be an exception, I suppose.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
I'd probably give up all other bread for dark rye.  And rye bread toast?  YUM.  I mean, it isn't good with jam but that's what biscuits are for!  Hey this reminds me, during the bread making craze I bought some rye flour to try to make a loaf from scratch and completely forgot about it.  LoL. Ooops.  :justjen

And I hate cornbread.  I cannot think of one thing I'd want cornbread to be a part of. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
I cannot think of one thing I'd want cornbread to be a part of.

Butter, melted.  That's it  :lol I don't mind cornbread but it's definitely not a "bread" I eat with anything besides itself, and if so, it's likely at a Boston Market or something.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 05:42:10 PM »
Cornbread buttered then grilled is amazing.   Also great with chilly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
If we're talking about best all-around sandwiches, a place up here does a shaved ribeye with blue cheese and caramelized onions that's a dame fine piece of work. A taqueria I used to hit up a lot has a giant torta with ham, milanesa, and chorizo (along with the typical torta fixins) that probably topped my list. All the better because they dice up the ham and saute it with the onions and jalapenos.

I had to spend the day in Madera last month, and had to go hunt for lunch near the Courthouse.  There wasn't as much food around as in other towns I normally spend time in, so I asked one of the bailiffs for a recommendation, and he suggested a Mexican carniceria that has a lunch counter around the corner.  When I got there and saw a line almost to the door, and none of the people behind the counter appeared to speak English, I figured I was in a very, VERY happy place.  Got a carne asada torta that was out of this world.  And the thing was HUGE.  Ate it on a park bench where I was hunched over almost horizontally to avoid getting any on my clothes.  I could have been Guy Fieri, because I lost count of how many times I involuntarily utters the phrases "legit!" and "out of bounds!"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »
Turkey sucks. Unless it's smoked, then it's pretty good. The whole turkey, a la Thanksgiving, is a waste of table space.

At first I was going to jump on this, but then I realized I kinda feel the same way. The turkey sandwich for lunch the next day is miles better than the turkey on the plate for Thanksgiving dinner.

Ruebens are awesome, cannot recall the last time I had one. Will rectify that at the next possible opportunity.

I was very late to the party when it comes to corn bread. Not sure what changed my mind.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »
The turkey thing is weird to me.  I love turkey on Thanksgiving but I hate left over turkey unless it is heated.  There is something about cold turkey that tastes weird to me.  Now a hot turkey open faced sandwich on white bread covered in gravy and a side of homemade cranberry compote (not that shit in a can cranberry sauce) and now you're talking turkey.   :laugh:

Offline frogprog

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 05:32:14 AM »
Wet bread is disgusting

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 06:35:55 AM »

Butter, melted.  That's it  :lol I don't mind cornbread but it's definitely not a "bread" I eat with anything besides itself, and if so, it's likely at a Boston Market or something.

Corn bread is alright but it isn't as amazing as people in north carolina make it out to be. It's usually dry and flakey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 07:43:32 AM »
Leftover Thanksgiving turkey is best experienced in a Thanksgiving sandwich the next day (don't forget the moistmaker).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 08:21:16 AM »
The important distinction is that roasted turkey sucks. Smoked turkey, ideally mesquite, is great. I'd consider an exception for fried turkey. The one time somebody brought one over I thought it was pretty good, certainly better than plane ole roasted turkey, but nothing mindblowing. Moreover, the fact that we even need to know what the moist-maker was, and it sounds disgusting, BTW, is proof enough that roasted turkey sucks for pretty much everything.

Corn bread is alright but it isn't as amazing as people in north carolina make it out to be. It's usually dry and flakey.
Some cornbread is great. Some isn't. Just like anything else. I don't have any particularly preference for how it should be. I just like some and don't like others. That said, speaking of turkey, cornbread stuffing is great. It's a fine accompaniment to chili and a variety of other soups/stews. Hushpuppies make the world a better place. Cornbread definitely has its applications.

E.F. Benson