Author Topic: Sandwich Thread  (Read 8424 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sandwich Thread
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
Fried, breaded eggplant is amazing.

One of the few things I miss from my first marriage is her fried, breaded eggplant.   There's a good story surrounding the recipe, but suffice that it was THAT GOOD.

My first wife when she would attempt to cook Id tease she was punishing me    hence we are no more  LOL
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:19:49 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
I'm going to spam this thread with countless pictures of different sandwiches I've eaten across the country and homemade ones.
Please do, although in this context, I don't think that would qualify as "spamming" the thread.

Unless you list some photos of spam sandwiches, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
I like Spam.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »
I like Spam.

A weak link in the armor.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
I like Spam.

Spam Musubi are awesome stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2021, 02:00:20 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2021, 03:18:07 PM »
I like Spam.

Anyone who frequents the P/R forum is well aware of this.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2021, 05:08:54 PM »
is pulled pork memphis style with cole slaw on it on a bun still considered a sandwich?  after a lot of debate with myself I can only come up with if its cut in half somehow before eating ..  am I wrong? as the cutting of it 2 pieces seems to be unacceptable...

Im needing clarification   

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Seems legit to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
is pulled pork memphis style with cole slaw on it on a bun still considered a sandwich?  after a lot of debate with myself I can only come up with if its cut in half somehow before eating ..  am I wrong? as the cutting of it 2 pieces seems to be unacceptable...

Im needing clarification   

Yup, there's a sandwich I always get when I work in LA at a local to my work BBQ joint.  It's BBQ pulled pork with cole slaw and cheese on a bun, SOO good.  Definitely a sandwich in my mind.  And unless I'm misunderstanding, cutting a sandwich in half is fairly normal.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2021, 06:54:59 PM »

Im needing clarification   

Yup, there's a sandwich I always get when I work in LA at a local to my work BBQ joint.  It's BBQ pulled pork with cole slaw and cheese on a bun, SOO good.  Definitely a sandwich in my mind.  And unless I'm misunderstanding, cutting a sandwich in half is fairly normal.

That sounds like an official ruling to me...  thanks Cram!!!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
Seems legit to me.

Bro...Cram has confirmed the ruling on the field and the play stands... SANDWICH

Online faizoff

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2021, 08:12:27 PM »
Well I guess I don't have as many sandwich pictures as I originally thought lol.

I made this at home with seed whole wheat bread and while it doesn't sound appetizing, it tasted amazing, key to it is a ton of butter and American cheese.

I'm going to have to track down where in San Francisco I had this but I remember it being phenomenal. I believe it was a steak sandwich and I think it was close to Mitchell's Ice cream shop.

This was a small corner shop (at least at the time I went) called Zunzi's in Savannah GA and the line was very long but worth it. It was a chicken sandwich or some kind, the sauce was to die for.

And yea yea yea Katz's from NYC cilche.. blah blah, but this Reuben sandwich was also to die for

I think I'll go on a hunt for a new sandwich place this weekend.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2021, 06:56:31 AM »
Pulled pork is absofuckinglutely a sammie.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2021, 08:01:06 AM »
I think the only real debate about "is it or isn't it" is for hot dogs and/or hamburgers.   There is a place here in CT - Louie's Lunch in New Haven that sells their hamburgers on white bread, and that to me IS a sandwich.  I would call roast beef or tuna on a hard roll a sandwich, so not sure why a burger wouldn't be too.    (A burger is just a specific type of sandwich, like a square is a specific type of rectangle.)

But a hot dog?   

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
I think the only real debate about "is it or isn't it" is for hot dogs and/or hamburgers.   There is a place here in CT - Louie's Lunch in New Haven that sells their hamburgers on white bread, and that to me IS a sandwich.  I would call roast beef or tuna on a hard roll a sandwich, so not sure why a burger wouldn't be too.    (A burger is just a specific type of sandwich, like a square is a specific type of rectangle.)

But a hot dog?

This is the third time this morning that I've run into a hot dog reference. In fact, I woke up craving a hot dog - first time in my life that has happened.

As for the question if a hotdog is a sandwich? I guess I would ask, why not? It's a piece of meat between two pieces of bread but good god if you put ketchup or mayonnaise on it, I'll beat you till you're dead.  :censored

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »
https://minnesotalawreview.org/2019/02/22/constructing-the-sandwich/

White City Shopping Center v PR Restaurants

The best explanation I've heard as to why a hotdog is not a sandwich is that it's a hotdog. It's already a well-defined item. That said, if you can't call a hotdog a sandwich, then you can't call the crap that Subway sells a sandwich, as it's essentially the same construction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »

But a hot dog?

This is the third time this morning that I've run into a hot dog reference. In fact, I woke up craving a hot dog - first time in my life that has happened.

As for the question if a hotdog is a sandwich? I guess I would ask, why not? It's a piece of meat between two pieces of bread but good god if you put ketchup or mayonnaise on it, I'll beat you till you're dead.  :censored

I don't know if he still does, but my Dad used to put mayo on his dogs (he would put mayo on ANYTHING, that guy.)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »

But a hot dog?

I had a chef who put a 1lb kobe dog on the menu, and got so pissed about people putting ketchup on it that he 86'd ketchup  :lol

Of course, the Mexican line cooks in their neverending efforts to troll him and piss him off, put ketchup AND mayo on it...  :rollin

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
Why would you not put ketchup on a hot dog?

As for whether it is a sandwich, I would pose the question: if you were tasked with making a sausage sandwich, how would you make it differently to a hot dog?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:16 AM »

As for whether it is a sandwich, I would pose the question: if you were tasked with making a sausage sandwich, how would you make it differently to a hot dog?

Sausage I'd put on a nice roll, not the same hotdog bun.  Also both would go with mustard, not ketchup for me.

But generally, I feel like a hot dog and burger or like sub genres of a sandwich.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
Why would somebody care what anybody puts on their hotdog? I never got that either. Put toxic waste on if if that's what you like. Ain't none of my business how you dress your dog.

I slice the sausage lengthwise and put the two halves face down on a hogie. On top of that sauteed onions/peppers/shrooms, and then a generous slice of provolone on top so that once it goes in the oven the cheese will lock it all into place.

edit: that's for an Italian sausage, of course. Brats typically just get the hotdog treatment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:51:50 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
It's a stupid gatekeeping purists thing, like pineapple on pizza. I think it started as a heavy handed joke in our kitchen and just grew from there. I should say in our defense that chefs are collectively immature and stupid at their core.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2021, 12:21:27 PM »
It's a stupid gatekeeping purists thing, like pineapple on pizza. I think it started as a heavy handed joke in our kitchen and just grew from there. I should say in our defense that chefs are collectively immature and stupid at their core.
Your example actually had a sound basis, though. You're selling people stupidly expensive meat and they're ruining it. If somebody orders up grade N wagyu and then drowns it in A1 you're going to be understandably offended. I get that. Not to mention your own vested interest in its quality as the person who prepared it. It's just the random "it's an abomination" people I don't get.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »
As with all things, I think there's a middle ground.  At risk of channeling Stadler, I think it's a "tend your own garden" issue.  I'm with you, Barto, in that what someone chooses to dress their food with is none of my business.  Why should I care?  That said, if you ask my opinion of what goes on a hot dog, I won't hesitate to say that ketchup on a hotdog is an unholy pairing.  But if that's how you like it, go for it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »
I think Bart has it right all around.   Comparing a hot dog with wagu beef isn't really apples to apples, at least to me.   My son's wife puts A1 on all her meat, whether it's a $60 slab of filet mignon, or a salisbury steak from a package.  For her the meat is just a vehicle, so the nuance of that $60 is lost on her (and she'll admit that).  For me, anything more than a flank steak is something I'm going to eat to taste the meat itself.  Salt, pepper, MAYBE a pat of butter.  Everything else goes on the side.

Same with the sausage sammich.  The Big E - a local two-week fair/festival up here every September - has a couple food trucks that do a fantastic sausage sandwich and that's how the better ones do.   Slice, pile, melt and serve.

And I'm not going to lie; I giggle like Beavis every time I write about someone doing something with their meat. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:12:08 PM by Stadler »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2021, 01:07:38 PM »
I think Bart has it right all around.   Comparing a hot dog with wagu beef isn't really apples to apples, at least to me.   My son's wife puts A1 on all her meat, whether it's a $60 slab of filet mignon, or a salisbury steak from a package.  For her the meat is just a vehicle, so the nuance of that $60 is lost on her (and she'll admit that).  For me, anything more than a flank steak is something I'm going to eat to taste the meat itself.  Salt, pepper, MAYBE a pat of butter.  Everything else goes on the side.

Same with the sausage sammich.  The B E - a local two-week fair/festival up here every September - has a couple food trucks that do a fantastic sausage sandwich and that's how the better ones do.   Slice, pile, melt and serve.

And I'm not going to lie; I giggle like Beavis every time I write about someone doing something with their meat.

But it was a 1lb wagyu hot dog....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
I missed that point; what is that?  Is that basically ground up wagu beef in a casing?  Is it any good? 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »
I missed that point; what is that?  Is that basically ground up wagu beef in a casing?  Is it any good?
Yes, and oh hell yeah....

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
Ground wagyu sounds like an absolute waste of money to me (if it was actually Wagyu, which is doubtful).
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2021, 03:34:04 PM »
I had aged wagyu meatloaf once and I thought I went to heaven.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
Ground wagyu sounds like an absolute waste of money to me (if it was actually Wagyu, which is doubtful).

It's a proper use of scrap, and keep in mind, not all wagyu is 100$/lb Japanese A5, I can score American ground wagyu for below 10.

And it absolutely was wagyu, our purveyors would get in really deep shit for lying about stuff like that. They wouldn't chance their licenses on it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, but is it cut or mixed with anything?  Sausages are notoriously fatty, both for flavor and I guess consistency.  Does the ground wagyu have to be mixed with anything as a binder or to keep it from getting dry?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
I'm sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, but is it cut or mixed with anything?  Sausages are notoriously fatty, both for flavor and I guess consistency.  Does the ground wagyu have to be mixed with anything as a binder or to keep it from getting dry?

It'd be mixed with the wagyu fat, though with wagyu the ratio would probably be lower than the traditional 70/30 mix since the beef itself is so fatty. Granted I'm just guessing, I've never done it myself, but I know sausage needs at least a 30% fat ratio to bind and avoid being mealy

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:11 PM »
I got a good one for y'all.  How bout a nice shit sandwich with corn, tomato skins, and limp lettuce?  Yeah, chow down on that bad boy!!  :lol  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White