Author Topic: Sandwich Thread  (Read 8423 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Sandwich Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
Semantics... but if you have ham on a grilled cheese, isn't it just a ham and cheese sandwich now? Or ham and cheese "melt"

I feel like once you add meat to a grilled cheese, it's no longer a grilled cheese but a hot/toasted/melt sandwich.

And of course there's nothing wrong with that, a ham and cheese melt is fantastic.  Same with turkey and cheese.  Or roast beef and cheese.  Generally, I like hot food better than cold so hot sandwiches are something I really enjoy, which is probably why I used to love Quiznos so much.
I agree. That's why I said my ham and cheese probably didn't count. And if I'm going to grill a ham and cheese there's going to be plenty of both on there. It won't be predominantly one or the other.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2021, 12:34:43 PM »
I think it might be, because it's a common side to a sandwich, but is this the place to ask "what cheese do you prefer in your macaroni and cheese?"

I'm sort of searching for that "next level" flavor in mac-n-cheese.   And yes, I'm a heathen there too; I will often include ground beef, panchetta or prosciutto in my mac-n-cheese.

I take an odd approach to my mac and cheese. I'll use a variety of different cheeses and just a basic bechamel to bring it all together. There's enough cheese in there so you never get a bite that's just plain sauce, and you never really know which cheese you're going to get from bite to bite. Ideally I want people to get a bit of cheddar here, Asiago there, maybe pepper jack over in that corner, etc.

Also, when it comes to mac and cheese, Trader Joes is your friend. If you need four different good quality cheeses at bargain prices, it's your best bet.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2021, 12:44:22 PM »
I've never really made my own home made mac and cheese....

but the pre-made costco tray is bangin.  It's actually too good so I can't buy it or I'll give myself a stomach ache.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
I think it might be, because it's a common side to a sandwich, but is this the place to ask "what cheese do you prefer in your macaroni and cheese?"

I'm sort of searching for that "next level" flavor in mac-n-cheese.   And yes, I'm a heathen there too; I will often include ground beef, panchetta or prosciutto in my mac-n-cheese.

Actually, the best trick to kick up the Mac n cheese game I've found is roasted garlic puree and some chopped rosemary. For the cheese I use a sharp white cheddar and parmesan

Offline Harmony

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »
Lonestar - that description of your brother's crab melt gave me a Homer.   :lol

Maybe we need a cheese thread?

FTW - the best way to dress up mac-n-cheese (aside from using at least 3 different cheeses) is some diced green chilies.  Mild, medium, or hot - your call.  DELISH

And I find it a little bit strange that so far (unless I missed it) nobody has mentioned croque monsieur or a good old Italian meatball sub.  Or even a meatloaf sandwich.  Done right, these can all be be gastronomical.   :hefdaddy
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2021, 02:04:31 PM »
Don't hate me but my favorite Mac and Cheese is Kraft out of the box and my favorite cheese for grilled cheese is processed cheese. Yep - the singles in plastic.

I know - I'm a -  :loser:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »

FTW - the best way to dress up mac-n-cheese (aside from using at least 3 different cheeses) is some diced green chilies.  Mild, medium, or hot - your call.  DELISH

And I find it a little bit strange that so far (unless I missed it) nobody has mentioned croque monsieur or a good old Italian meatball sub.  Or even a meatloaf sandwich.  Done right, these can all be be gastronomical.   :hefdaddy
I did mention grilled ham and gruyere, which pretty much is the croque monsieur. Probably second place for my favorite sandwiches behind the roast beef and cheddar, and that may change any given day. Also, meatloaf sandwiches came into play when we were discussing Boston Market. Not something I'd go out of my way for, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at one. As for the meatball sandwich, if I'm going Italian I'm going with Italian roast beef with provolone and giardinera. Or, Italian sausage with the same.

Actually, the best trick to kick up the Mac n cheese game I've found is roasted garlic puree and some chopped rosemary. For the cheese I use a sharp white cheddar and parmesan
I always found that Parmesan takes up too much of the flavor. It's a fine line between mac and cheese and Alfredo, and pretty easy to inadvertently cross. I suppose that's why I always include Asiago in mine. It's a perfect blend of the two, I think.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »

As an italian, I do love a good meatball sandwich.  Sadly my grandma's secret to perfect meatballs has not been passed onto the next generation.  My mother could never come close to replicating it and no one has a recipe.

And if we are going to dig into more Italian sandwiches, one of my personal favorites is fried eggplant.  Either as an eggplant parm or fried eggplant with mozz, roasted red peppers, and some balsamic.  Actually made this recently:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2021, 02:27:01 PM »

As an italian, I do love a good meatball sandwich.  Sadly my grandma's secret to perfect meatballs has not been passed onto the next generation.  My mother could never come close to replicating it and no one has a recipe.

And if we are going to dig into more Italian sandwiches, one of my personal favorites is fried eggplant.  Either as an eggplant parm or fried eggplant with mozz, roasted red peppers, and some balsamic.  Actually made this recently:

oh yea   sweet red pepper and mozzarella     Oh yes
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »
I generally hate eggplant, but that does look like a damn fine sandwich.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
Fried, breaded eggplant is amazing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2021, 02:49:14 PM »

Especially right off the pan when it's still hot.  I eat that shit right up.  Made a whole eggplant for myself and it didn't last long between the fresh ones I ate, the sandwiches I made, and then the rest went into a parm.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »

OK that looks good.  But honestly, I'd probably 86 the bread.  Open face that sandwich using the fried eggplant as the base.  I might actually have to work on this....

I'm also seriously considering doing an entire week of sandwiches for the family using this thread as inspiration.  :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2021, 05:01:07 PM »
My favorite eggplant plate is from a text mex restaurant in Cambridge Ma.  It's called Egplant Royale.  Here's the description.

"Eggplant Royale
A bubbling-hot blend of cheeses, lump crabmeat and cajun spices, served over a delicately fried eggplant. this is a creole family tradition as served on royale street in new orleans' french quarter."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »

There's plenty of things that look great, but there's no way in hell I'd eat it, and that sandwich qualifies for both.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »

There's plenty of things that look great, but there's no way in hell I'd eat it, and that sandwich qualifies for both.

:rollin

OK that looks good.  But honestly, I'd probably 86 the bread.  Open face that sandwich using the fried eggplant as the base.  I might actually have to work on this....

I really really really like the fresh baguettes from Lidl so that bread, to me, is fantastic, but open faced might not be bad at all.  I usually do the same sandwich open faced when I don't have eggplant.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:11 PM »
My favorite eggplant plate is from a text mex restaurant in Cambridge Ma.  It's called Egplant Royale.  Here's the description.

"Eggplant Royale
A bubbling-hot blend of cheeses, lump crabmeat and cajun spices, served over a delicately fried eggplant. this is a creole family tradition as served on royale street in new orleans' french quarter."
That place 2 doors down from the Sinclair? What you're describing has zero to do with Text-Mex, never gonna happen, but their menu was half Text-Mex and half Cajun (weird combination), so I could see it happening there.  I ate their before meeting up with you, Rumborak, and the Queen. Cute Aussie bartender, and the shredded beef they put in the quesadilla was killer. My hunch is that they used chuck from their chili and shredded that.

edit: Holy shit, I nailed it! I rule!  :metal

Sadly, it looks like the place closed down permanently. The plague roughed them up pretty bad, and a fire finished them off.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:46:35 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
Eggplant is the best ,,, Eggplant parm with a layer of Chicken parm on a great french bread and BOOM
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »
Eggplant still sucks, but most things are pretty good when you bread them, fry them, and then build a cheese pizza on top of them.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »
Eggplant is the best ,,, Eggplant parm with a layer of Chicken parm on a great french bread and BOOM

I've never combined the two, but chicken parm sandwiches are also great.

My college roommate and I used to go to a sandwich shop at PSU and we'd get 1 chicken parm and 1 eggplant parm sandwich, cut in half and then we'd have one of each.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2021, 06:42:47 PM »
My college roommate and I used to go to a sandwich shop at PSU and we'd get 1 chicken parm and 1 eggplant parm sandwich, cut in half and then we'd have one of each.

Awww.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »

Awww.. ;D

Tim, this was the time you were buried in your time capsule. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
 :lol it was 2005-2007 to be exact

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2021, 07:02:18 PM »

Tim, this was the time you were buried in your time capsule.

Hey, I poked my head out every now and then!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 12, 2021, 07:07:39 PM »
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2021, 08:02:19 PM »

I've never combined the two, but chicken parm sandwiches are also great.

You can thank me later bro      its amazing,,,   

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2021, 08:03:43 PM »
Best thread ever?   its possible   lots of greatness in here..

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:38 PM »
@barto,the parm is mostly for consistency, the white cheddar and roasted garlic drown out the flavor, but since the parm is aged and less oily, it lends itself to the sauce better. A dry jack would have the same effect.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2021, 10:30:59 PM »
I fucking love sandwiches, I'm going to spam this thread with countless pictures of different sandwiches I've eaten across the country and homemade ones.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2021, 11:14:14 PM »
DO IT!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2021, 11:22:51 PM »
Hey Bosk, has Ike's sandwiches made its way up to Sacramento? Or are you familiar with them at all?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:17 AM »
Haven't heard of 'em.  But that may be just because I haven't been looking.  I don't generally go out for sandwiches at home.  And when I'm at work, my regular stop is a mom & pop deli around the corner from my office (who I'm surprised is able to stay in business after having all the windows smashed out and inventory stolen during the "peaceful protests"). 

EDIT:  Looks like there is one downtown.  It isn't close to where I work, but close enough to get to.  What's good there?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »
Haven't heard of 'em.  But that may be just because I haven't been looking.  I don't generally go out for sandwiches at home.  And when I'm at work, my regular stop is a mom & pop deli around the corner from my office (who I'm surprised is able to stay in business after having all the windows smashed out and inventory stolen during the "peaceful protests"). 

EDIT:  Looks like there is one downtown.  It isn't close to where I work, but close enough to get to.  What's good there?

The menu's massive, and varies from location to location. My personal preference at the Walnut Creek one is the Steve Mariucci.. A meatball sub with mozzarella sticks. They're stuff is beyond killer, a bit pricey but well executed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »

One of the few things I miss from my first marriage is her fried, breaded eggplant.   There's a good story surrounding the recipe, but suffice that it was THAT GOOD.