Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER  (Read 96509 times)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I figured we could stop cluttering up the video games thread and use this to coordinate playing times and such. I love this game.

Origin/Battlelog Userlist:
antigoon - Juular
Fiery Windu - BeautifulAgony
Edan - LiamJoseph
Nigerius - TEBuddy
Sigz - Sigz001
zxklho - zxlkho
Dimitrius - Dimitrius30 (PS3)
7StringedBeast - Kingshighway77
Bacong - BaconDrips
acidrainlte - zxlkhosucks
Dynia - Dynia
ResultsMayVary - R3dOctober92 (360)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:35:44 PM by antigoon »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
That match I joined up with you was awesome!  I went 13-1!!  My first two full matches of MP.   :biggrin:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
I was doing awesome in that round till I got DC'd, I destroyed like 3 MCOM stations.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
That match I joined up with you was awesome!  I went 13-1!!  My first two full matches of MP.   :biggrin:
I was so pleasantly surprised when I saw you in our squad :lol

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
I have a feeling I'm going to be entirely lost when I start playing multiplayer, having never played BF at all before. You guys make it seem like there is tons of shit to do! Does the single player do a good job of introducing you to all the game mechanics, or is there like a training mode or something?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
There is tons of shit to do, but it's not very complicated. There's an unlock system for each gun, class, and vehicle that grants you add-ons and abilities gradually so you're not overwhelmed with stuff at the start.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:39:16 AM »
Also, for posterity, a great jihad jeep video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clDpZIaU3-Q

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:51:27 AM »
 :heart Jihad Jeeps

Offline Millais

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »
I have a feeling I'm going to be entirely lost when I start playing multiplayer, having never played BF at all before. You guys make it seem like there is tons of shit to do! Does the single player do a good job of introducing you to all the game mechanics, or is there like a training mode or something?

DEFINITELY worth going through the single player. Before Bad Company 2 I'd never played a shooter in my life and went online straight away and, unexpectedly I guess, just got shot within 15 seconds of spawning pretty much. So I then went back to the single player, played through it on easy, medium and hard and by the end I'd class myself as pretty good online :)

so yeah, certainly worth going through the single player, apparently it's a bit linear in BF3 but it's still cool, it'll introduce you to parts of the game such as recoil, destruction etc and let you adjust to that before going online  :tup

played the Beta and it was awesome! CANNOT wait for this game - it's released 2 days later in Europe though which sucks :(

what's everyone's favourite map so far?

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 05:21:55 AM »
Oh for fucks sake, the Amazon BF3 downloader :facepalm:

I wanted it to download the game on not my primary hard drive, as it is an SSD and the required 20GB for download+install is absolutely ridiculous. At first it just plain told me I don't have enough space (which I don't on the SSD), but when I moved the downloader exe over to my 2TB drive it didn't have a warning, and just went right to downloading, leading me to assume it was downloading the files there.

Well guess where its been trying very unsuccessfully to cram 10 GB of files for the past 9 hours.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »
I'll have this game in about 4 days.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
It introduces you to some, but not ALL of the mechanics. And the destructibility is pretty scripted in the single player and not on the multiplayer.

The second co-op mission is a great way to learn how to fly choppers though, so definitely play that so you can get comfortable flying them. Jets are a different animal though, I can't seem to do sharp turns with ease.

Oh and thank you DICE! They put dedicated servers on the PS3! :metal

Also, for posterity, a great jihad jeep video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clDpZIaU3-Q
I'm just waiting to unlock the UAV to do jihad UAVs!

Also, is anybody else having this trouble with the beacon: if the beacon is not inside a building when you respawn there it parachutes you into the map. I don't know if DICE changed that or if it's a bug.

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
I noticed that too. It seems intentional, though I don't understand the logic.

Also, I played through the first mission of the campaign. I was pretty jazzed to see it take place on the train I take to school every day! LIRR REPRESENT WOOP WOOP :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »
I noticed that too. It seems intentional, though I don't understand the logic.

Also, I played through the first mission of the campaign. I was pretty jazzed to see it take place on the train I take to school every day! LIRR REPRESENT WOOP WOOP :lol
Did you play the second level? The one from the fault line videos?

If you did tell me, when you get to the bridge where you gotta man the LMG until a chopper comes to do a strafing run is there anybody flying the chopper? Because the inside of the chopper is empty on the PS3 version. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Summers

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:33 AM »
UK release date on Friday, I've preordered for delivery on the day but I haven't had my order dispatched email yet  :'(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:36:03 AM by Summers »
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:33 AM »
So here's a "battlefield moment" I had last night. Playing rush defense on the first stage of Tehran Highway as Recon. I'm outside our base on the rocky/desert area looking for unsuspecting fools to cap when, in my periphery, I see a full jeep barreling toward me at full speed. For some reason I decided it would be better to dive to the ground instead of running behind a giant boulder to my left, so I go prone. The jeep hits a rock right in front of me, flips over my head and crashes. I cap all those fools who have no idea what just happened  :hat

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »
Here's a battlefield moment: Caspian border, I spawn as engy, grab a jeep, and start barreling across the open field. I see a friendly tank take a hit, so I floor it to the tank. As I'm get near, I jump out only to see another friendly engineer behind it, repairing. My now driverless jeep continues going and runs him over. An attack helicopter then strafes us and kills the tank and me. FML.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
Anyone playing this on PC, or are you guys all console gaming?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »
Here's a battlefield moment: Caspian border, I spawn as engy, grab a jeep, and start barreling across the open field. I see a friendly tank take a hit, so I floor it to the tank. As I'm get near, I jump out only to see another friendly engineer behind it, repairing. My now driverless jeep continues going and runs him over. An attack helicopter then strafes us and kills the tank and me. FML.
:rollin

Anyone playing this on PC, or are you guys all console gaming?
Me, Sigz, FieryWinds, Nigerius, Edan (soon), and i think one or two others are on PC.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
ATTN: Joe

I'm buying this game. Fuck you.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
AND THIS GUY RIGHT HERE ^^^

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »

so..you and the tank repair person and the chopper person..were all real people on the map?

Sorry.
Im a FPS noob.

It's all GoldenEye for me all the time.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
Hmmmm I'm thinking about getting this then if you guys are all going to be playing.  I loved battlefield 1942.  Always thought that was a great game.  Haven't played a PC shooter regularly since MOHAA though.  Is this game totally worth getting for PC?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
Hmmmm I'm thinking about getting this then if you guys are all going to be playing.  I loved battlefield 1942.  Always thought that was a great game.  Haven't played a PC shooter regularly since MOHAA though.  Is this game totally worth getting for PC?
There are a few launch-related kinks, but yes, if your PC can handle it, definitely.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
It's totally worth getting for any console you can get it for!!

And my BF moment I posted it last night: playing rush on Damavand Peak and going to the third m-comm stations, where you gotta make the BASE jump, I grab a Humvee, drive it off the cliff and survive the fall inside the Humvee.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
There are a few launch-related kinks, but yes, if your PC can handle it, definitely.

Yeah there is no doubt my PC can handle it.  I'm looking into it.  Wish it wasn't 60 bucks, but welcome to modern gaming.  I also know I'm probably going to be buying Diablo 3 when that comes out.  I just don't have enough time to dedicate to all these games either haha.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »
If you get it on Amazon via digital download it's $50.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Yeah that's what I'll be doing when I get home. LATE NIGHT GAMING SESH TONIGHT? I THINK SO!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »
Yeah I saw that, I'm just a tad weary of buying games digitally.  I'd much rather have the hard disc.

This game does look pretty promising.  It'd be nice to have a first person shooter game to play again. 

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
I really wish I had something to run this on.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
I should be getting the game either today or tomorrow in the mail. I will probably go through the first couple missions in SP before I hit up MP. I want to check out the storyline and get some chopper/jet experience before heading online.

Also, my gamertag on the 360 is 'R3dOctober92' so add me so we can play some MP soon.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
I should be getting the game either today or tomorrow in the mail. I will probably go through the first couple missions in SP before I hit up MP. I want to check out the storyline and get some chopper/jet experience before heading online.

Also, my gamertag on the 360 is 'R3dOctober92' so add me so we can play some MP soon.
There's a jet mission early on in the sp, but you don't get to fly it. You're only the gunner. I suggest you find a buddy who has it on 360 and play the second co-op mission to get some chopper experience.

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
So I've managed to get it working before the actual European release, and it's really awesome. I think it's even better optimized than the beta, it runs pretty smooth and looks great on my not so good PC. I  played some Operation Firestorm and Tehran Highway and those were really fun to play.
 Haven't played the SP yet, i hope it's better than Bad Company 2.
Oh well, but it's not SP i bought the game for.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »

There's a jet mission early on in the sp, but you don't get to fly it. You're only the gunner. I suggest you find a buddy who has it on 360 and play the second co-op mission to get some chopper experience.
Will do.

By the way, got my game just now in the mail! Priority fucking rules!

EDIT: Online pass downloaded and I'm ready to go for the Karkand Expansion Pack. Now I just need to study for this mid-term I have tomorrow morning and maybe I might be able to play without worrying before then. haha.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:53:28 PM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »
From Tycho's blog post today:

Here’s what I do care about:  people are still, in 2011, driving a troop transport out of the base without actually transporting any troops.

:lol