Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER  (Read 97243 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER
« Reply #945 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
How much would a "good"(good meaning I can run everything at the settings they're intended to be at) run around generally, I'd be up for building a rig, I just have no idea where to start, it all seems a little daunting

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #946 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Under $1k. I'm not the best person to ask for specifics since I sorta just set my budget and followed a guide, but you should be able to build something suitable for well under that.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #947 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
Hrm, I'm already setting money away for an XB1, but I think after school I might start setting aside money for a rig.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #948 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
didn't use it myself, but I've heard reddit.com/r/buildapc is a great resource if you want to look more into it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #949 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
didn't use it myself, but I've heard reddit.com/r/buildapc is a great resource if you want to look more into it.
Thanks for the link, I think I'll give it a look  :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #950 on: August 22, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
This could be a good start because he's building a PC roughly at the same price of a console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh455l3348s
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #951 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
How much would a "good"(good meaning I can run everything at the settings they're intended to be at) run around generally, I'd be up for building a rig, I just have no idea where to start, it all seems a little daunting
I recently built one for some $750-800 which has, so far, run everything at max/ultra. Newegg and Tiger Direct have some very good deals so you could find check them out and pick up stuff much cheaper.

And it's anything but daunting putting it all together.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: August 23, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »
Just got confirmation from Lars in an interview... BF4 on PS4 runs at 720p upscaled to 1080p and solid 60 fps.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370847476754157568

That's interesting. So why not run the game at 1080p when it's been told that the PS4 could handle 1080p? Or it's just a current gen port?

Update:

To clarify: BF4 running at a higher resolution than 720p in the PS4 dev environment. Final resolution when the game is optimised at launch!

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:42:01 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
After looking at Titanfall and BF4, it looks like I'll be getting an XB1. Now hopefully they can announce a release date soon.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
After looking at Titanfall and BF4, it looks like I'll be getting an XB1. Now hopefully they can announce a release date soon.
You and I will have to exchange gamer tags in the soon future  :tup

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #955 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:11 AM »
PC gamer here. My Battlefield name is dreamshade. Almost 700 hours in BF2, over 700 hours in BF3, looking forward to BF4.
I'm in AT so I'm on EU servers with good pings. Currently not playing too often, but it will increase the closer the beta gets.
Messages and hooahs welcome. Looking forward to teaming up or shooting you people.
Oh and shooters on consoles suck! ;D

Greetings...
Nef

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #956 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
PC gamer here. My Battlefield name is dreamshade. Almost 700 hours in BF2, over 700 hours in BF3, looking forward to BF4.
I'm in AT so I'm on EU servers with good pings. Currently not playing too often, but it will increase the closer the beta gets.
Messages and hooahs welcome. Looking forward to teaming up or shooting you people.
Oh and shooters on consoles suck! ;D

Greetings...
Nef
Done.  :)

I'm Druminator82 btw. Haven't played so much lately either but trust me, I will be all over the beta from what i've seen so far.  :metal

We have a DTF platoon, not very active though  :lol Don't know who the admin is though. Could be Antigoon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:05:44 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: August 26, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
I'm cramx3. Haven't been playing much either lately.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #958 on: September 22, 2013, 07:46:39 AM »
So who's excited for the beta? Only two weeks left!  :metal

I've started building a new PC not just for BF4 but for the future in general. My current PC is more then 2 and 1/2 years old except for the GPU. I will upgrade the components in phazes starting with the CPU and MoBo. I'm actually gonna invest some more money in those core parts just to make them as future proof as possible.

MoBo: ASUS Z87-A, Socket-1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell

It's not the most expensive mobo but from reviews i've seen it's a solid thing that also has SLI support not that I have that in mind but it's good to know that the option is there. I first had the i7-3770 in mind but had a re-think and went with a 4th generation i7 instead mostly because the price diffrence is only about 30$ more and for that you have a more recent CPU with some more juice.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #959 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
Ah man! I bought an Ivy Bridge for the computer I built back in May and they already made a new architecture?? :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #960 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
Ah man! I bought an Ivy Bridge for the computer I built back in May and they already made a new architecture?? :lol
Trust me, I know that feel man. A pretty common feel amongst PC builders in general. :lol I think they revealed Haswell this summer or something.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #961 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:45 AM »
BF4 Beta coming October 1st for premium members and October 4th for everyone else. Pretty excited. I'm downloading it on my 360 and then I'll get the actual game when the Xbox One comes out in November.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #962 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
I didn't think I'd be excited for this game at all (and I think I made some posts in this very thread saying so) but here we are, late September, and I'm itching for the beta.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #963 on: September 22, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
Same here. Just over a week to wait. :corn

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #964 on: September 23, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
Looking forward to the beta, I'll probably play a lot with a 400h+ BF3 friend. :flame:
Not looking forward to most likely needing something stronger than my GTX580 with 3GB. :\

Greetings...
Nef

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #965 on: September 26, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »
So here's a sneak peek at all the 10 new MP maps in the vanilla game:

Siege Of Shanghai "Siege"

Paracel Storm "Naval"

Operation Locker "Prison"

Golmud Railway "Journey"

"Damage"

Flood Zone "Flooded"

Zavod 311 "Abandoned"

Hainan Resort "Resort"

"Tremors"

"Dish"

Flooded, Abandoned and Tremors looks especially interesting.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:37:45 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline efx

« Reply #966 on: September 26, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »
I hope you guys will enjoy the Beta and then the game too :-) I'm a level designer at DICE and worked on this project and it's fun to see that there is a thread on it here!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #967 on: September 26, 2013, 04:09:17 AM »
I hope you guys will enjoy the Beta and then the game too :-) I'm a level designer at DICE and worked on this project and it's fun to see that there is a thread on it here!
That is freakin awesome man!!  :metal I had suspicion with that avatar you got.  :lol I'm very much looking forward to the beta and the full release and so far with all the things you shown, it's looking really promising.  :tup

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #968 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:32 AM »

I'm sure we will. The thing with DTF is that we're pretty damn fast when it comes to news and stuff to be released soon. In fact it's rumoured DT come here to find nuggets about their upcoming projects before they actually write them. Some may call it temporal mechanics fuck up, others know it's just another DTF day. :P

The concept art for the maps looks great by the way. I know they usually don't say anything about the final map except the setting and basic mood, but simply based on those pics I'm looking forward to Journey, Damage, and Abandoned.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline efx

« Reply #969 on: September 26, 2013, 05:55:51 AM »
Thanks guys :) Been a long road and I'm finally about to start on another project but not before an epic 64 player PC test today. As far as the coolest maps goes, don't sleep on Dish. It's got some really neat stuff happening if I may say so. Ok, enough shilling. Glad to see you guys are excited and I hope it will live up to expectations.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #970 on: September 26, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm more excited about the Beta now. And the eventual release on the Xbox One. Can't wait for the awesome 64-player games on console.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: September 26, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
Thanks guys :) Been a long road and I'm finally about to start on another project but not before an epic 64 player PC test today. As far as the coolest maps goes, don't sleep on Dish. It's got some really neat stuff happening if I may say so. Ok, enough shilling. Glad to see you guys are excited and I hope it will live up to expectations.
I have a hunch what that may be.... :hat

Must have been fun coming up with all the creative ideas for levolution, can imagine their were some crazy ideas brought up that didn't make it to the game for various reasons.

Offline efx

« Reply #972 on: September 26, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »

Must have been fun coming up with all the creative ideas for levolution, can imagine their were some crazy ideas brought up that didn't make it to the game for various reasons.

Yeah, there's always stuff that gets cut due to scope or that it just doesn't fit or whatever. Sometimes you gotta kill your darlings to to speak :) Half of the dev process is arriving at compromises but I'm pretty used to it by now so you try not to get too attached to every single idea you may come up with if that makes any sense.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #973 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
So cool! happy to have you here.

Offline Nefarius

« Reply #974 on: September 27, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
Levolution on "Dish"?
Aliens landing? :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: September 27, 2013, 06:22:25 AM »

Yeah, there's always stuff that gets cut due to scope or that it just doesn't fit or whatever. Sometimes you gotta kill your darlings to to speak :) Half of the dev process is arriving at compromises but I'm pretty used to it by now so you try not to get too attached to every single idea you may come up with if that makes any sense.
That makes totally sense, it's just a process you have to accept given that there's so many factors you have to consider before you fully implement something.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »
I updated the list with the correct map names but i'm not sure what name belongs to the right map.

https://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/09/battlefield-4-maps/

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #977 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
Can not wait for the Beta. That might convince me to buy the game for the 360, and then upgrade to the Xbox One when I get that in November.

Offline efx

« Reply #978 on: September 28, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
I updated the list with the correct map names but i'm not sure what name belongs to the right map.

Nicely done ;) Paracel storm with 64p is really nice, we just had a playtest on it the other day and there's some new stuff to the bf concept I think is nice. It's currently my favorite map out of the bunch.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »

Nicely done ;) Paracel storm with 64p is really nice, we just had a playtest on it the other day and there's some new stuff to the bf concept I think is nice. It's currently my favorite map out of the bunch.
Oh man, that sounds nice. Of course I could ask you what but I don't want you to get in trouble!  :lol