Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER  (Read 97443 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER
« Reply #840 on: February 16, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
That's just dev speak for "we don't want anyone to play the game any other way."

Guess I won't get it then.  I still have Forgotten Hope and Project Reality, so I don't really care.  From the looks of all the gameplay I've seen, the Battlefield series has given up on what made it unique in the first place.
I highly doubt DICE don't care about the modding community since they obviously supported it in the past. But the engine is new and complicated, here's a quote:
Frostbite 2 is quite complex and it wll be very difficult for people to mod the game. Moreover, because of the nature of the set up of levels, of the destruction and all those things… modding and mapping could get a bit tricky.
You can believe or not but that's what they say.

I highly recommend you to play BF3 and then judge because it is a really good game.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #841 on: February 16, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
That's just dev speak for "we don't want anyone to play the game any other way."

Guess I won't get it then.  I still have Forgotten Hope and Project Reality, so I don't really care.  From the looks of all the gameplay I've seen, the Battlefield series has given up on what made it unique in the first place.
I highly doubt DICE don't care about the modding community since they obviously supported it in the past. But the engine is new and complicated, here's a quote:
Frostbite 2 is quite complex and it wll be very difficult for people to mod the game. Moreover, because of the nature of the set up of levels, of the destruction and all those things… modding and mapping could get a bit tricky.
You can believe or not but that's what they say.

I highly recommend you to play BF3 and then judge because it is a really good game.

It might be EA's hand, I don't know.  But to state "Oh, it's too complex for the community, so we're not going to let you do it at all" is a major cop-out when you consider how much more the community has added onto the original games.  The skill of the coders and designers on the mod teams are at least equal to those of the game designers themselves.

I have played some BF3, and it didn't make that good an impression.  Things were certainly glossier, but the scale was (again) smaller  and teamwork had been completely de-emphasized.

I haven't played any other BF besides BF3, and I don't see it being much like COD besides the very basics of a modern FPS.  What made the older BFs different?

Well, Battlefield 1942 still has the biggest scale of all the Battlefield games.  It came out in 2002 and established pretty much all of the defining features: 64 player multiplayer, huge maps (like 50+ square km), and a full complement of land, air, and naval warfare.  It was awesome and unparalleled in scope.  There were maps where you could captain submarines or battleships, fly fighters and torpedo bombers, drive tanks and APCs, man artillery, and be infantry all on the same battlefield.  It was great, and the mod community for it was phenomenal and gave the game huge amounts of free content and variety (Forgotten Hope and Desert Combat are still regularly played online)

Battlefield Vietnam came out in 2004 and was pretty damn cool.  It wasn't as polished as 1942 and certainly had its fair share of issues, but it had some really cool elements that I really wish had been carried forward.  Armies were asymmetrical (i.e., the North Vietnamese equipment was inferior to American equipment) and the game encouraged the two sides to fight in radically different ways.  The multiplayer was really fun and interesting because of the different variety of tactics.  Unfortunately naval warfare was largely dropped (albeit with a justified historical reason).

Battlefield 2 was released in 2005.  Completely new engine, graphical overhaul, and a number of new features.  Really fun to play.  The best thing it introduced was new ways to help teamwork: squads, commanders, VOIP, etc.  Once again an extremely great mod community that really unlocked the potential of the game.  Forgotten Hope 2 reverts things back to WWII and has 128 player servers, and is awesome as hell.  Project Reality is super-realistic, and emphasizes teamwork above everything else, making it really cool and fun to play with a mic and a good squad.  Naval warfare was completely dropped, size of maps was reduced, and some elements like airlifting, artillery spotting, etc. were taken out.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #842 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
It might be EA's hand, I don't know.  But to state "Oh, it's too complex for the community, so we're not going to let you do it at all" is a major cop-out when you consider how much more the community has added onto the original games.  The skill of the coders and designers on the mod teams are at least equal to those of the game designers themselves.

I have played some BF3, and it didn't make that good an impression.  Things were certainly glossier, but the scale was (again) smaller  and teamwork had been completely de-emphasized.
Fair enough, i'm not gonna try convert you or anything.  :) But i will say that i've had my share of excellent teamwork and teamplay in BF3 (pub play will always be pub play if you don't use teamspeak with friends) and one of the DLCs contained the biggest map in BF history so i've had a bit of everything.

Now the problem with BF3 today is that the community is alot bigger than before and there are alot more casual players which would probably make VOIP and commander useless on pub play. If you wanna experience the good old days when everybody did teamplay with VOIP i think your best bet would be to play in a organized competitive community like levelbf.com, they organize 32 vs 32 tournaments reguarly and those matches are freakin intense and alot of fun.

The days when you could jump alone in a pub game and everybody worked together are sadly over but that dosen't mean you can't have fun, if you play with the right people and use teamspeak you can have a blast with tons of teamwork.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #843 on: February 16, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
Hmm.  Maybe I'll get it when the price drops to $15 or $10 then.  I imagine there are a bunch of specialty servers that cater to people who want teamwork.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #844 on: February 17, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
Hmm.  Maybe I'll get it when the price drops to $15 or $10 then.  I imagine there are a bunch of specialty servers that cater to people who want teamwork.
:tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #845 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »
There's a Heli dual event/match that's about to start:

https://levelbf.com/live/

:)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #846 on: February 20, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »
OK so two things:

https://twitter.com/battlefield/status/304019835107557376

and

:omg:

EDIT: Ok so the image is most likely fake apparently.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:16:39 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #847 on: February 25, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
So you PS3 folks may actually have the next DLC in a couple of days....infact maybe even tomorrow!  ;)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: March 01, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
So now we finally have some dates for End Game:

PS3 Premium members: March 5th
X360 and PC Premium members: March 12th

PS3 players: March 19th
X360 and PC players: March 26th

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #849 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »
I'll definitely download this on the 12th. :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #850 on: March 09, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
I gotta say, Aftermath and End Game are the best DLCs for BF3!

The maps for EG in Rush are just utterly fantastic and CtF is such an adrenaline rush, except for the occasional people who camp the flags. Air Superiority is just a constant cacophony of heat seekers locking on, but it's fun as well!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #851 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
Glad to hear it's enjoyable on PS3!  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
I don't know if I'm ready for a new battlefield, honestly.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
I'd rather DICE do Bad Company 3 before BF4.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #855 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
I'd like to see what new features they're going to reveal that would justify a numbered sequel.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #856 on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
Better be something more than "look at this rain physics!!". And since this is a next-gen game, I expect 64 MP for everyone regardless of console.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #857 on: March 15, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
Let's hope that's the case. I feel like the 360 version of the game suffers from a lack of players on some maps.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #858 on: March 15, 2013, 08:19:35 PM »
I honestly don't understand how you console guys do it without 64p.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #859 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
The maps are scaled down, so you don't really miss those extra 30 players.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #860 on: March 15, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Yeah I know they scale down the maps when the players get that low on PC too, and I never have fun :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #861 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
Well, excuuuuuseeee me... asshole.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #862 on: March 15, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
The maps are scaled down, so you don't really miss those extra 30 players.
I think the maps still suffer, even though they're scaled down. Some maps work great, but Caspian Border and the largest map from Armored Kill (can't remember its name) is really bad.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #863 on: March 15, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
Bandar Desert? Yeah, that map sucks!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #864 on: March 16, 2013, 03:35:48 AM »
I'd like to see what new features they're going to reveal that would justify a numbered sequel.

All would be forgiven if it was mod tools.

I honestly don't understand how you console guys do it without 64p.

Once you go 128, nothing else is the same.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #865 on: March 16, 2013, 03:51:15 AM »
Don't go to deep into 64 or more players and think that's automatically better. The map layout go hand in hand with the number of players. All the map layouts in BF3 have not been suited for 64 players and trust me, you do not wanna experience "another" 64 player Metro on console! I had a blast playing that map 8v8 on PC FYI. I do wish DICE would make future maps/DLCs more consistent to eachother in size.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #866 on: March 16, 2013, 04:14:15 AM »
Or do what they did with BF2: three variants of each map, designed for specific numbers of players.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #867 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »
Yea that could also work.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #868 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
I just hope they increase the number of players on console. 24 players just isn't enough! :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #869 on: March 16, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
It's not like they can't.  Battlefield 1942 was originally designed for 100 players, and Battlefield 2 has the capacity for much higher than that... on a next gen console, there's absolutely no reason why they can't manage at least 64.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #870 on: March 16, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
They are gonna increase the player account atleast so it matches the PC on console. It's not rocket science to figure out that they had problems with the old consoles being it's hardware from 2005.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #871 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I definitely expect them to up the players without a doubt when the next Playstation and Xbox consoles come out later this year. That should be no problem, whatsoever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #872 on: March 17, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »
It's amazing what people can do without mod tools:

BF3: Resurrection

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: March 17, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
Even on pc I never play on 64 player servers, way too chaotic and spammy for my taste.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: March 17, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
I cant play anything but 64 players, except on close quarters, I play 32 or maybe 48.  I always tell my friends about how awesome BF is, but then I say I wouldn't play it on consoles.  Personally, Id find it boring without enough players.  Just too much space, even on the adjusted maps.  Then add in vehicles and its just not enough ground troops for my taste.