Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER  (Read 97304 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER
« Reply #455 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
zomg GUYS!!! I fixed my video problems!  I was finally able to update my ATI driver!  No more black ground with patchy spots.  MY frame rate stays above 30fps now except on some parts of operation metro and grand bizzarre for some reason.  But the overall playability is so much higher now.  Game runs smooth and looks beautiful!  Still playing on low settings, and might still upgrade my card, but the game is working great!!!!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
I just recently finished playing the single player, I know no one really plays it, but it was a pretty good game even though it was short.  The graphics are just beautiful and the sound is amazing.  I play with a overclocked gtx 460 and it plays on high just fine.

Offline Millais

« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:30 AM »
I just recently finished playing the single player, I know no one really plays it, but it was a pretty good game even though it was short.  The graphics are just beautiful and the sound is amazing.  I play with a overclocked gtx 460 and it plays on high just fine.

completed it also with a gtx460.

fairly good singleplayer, could have been better though. the last 1/3 of it was awesome.

another cool  moment last night... was in support class and I'd ran out of ammo, saw a sv98 on the ground, picked it up, saw 3 snipers in the mountains (kharg island), suddenly they all moved behind each other (sounds pretty unbelievable but it happened!) - one shot and I got 3 kills, with 2 headshots. ridiculous!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2011, 05:26:43 AM »
I played the single player, it really was nothing special. It was way to scripted at times.

Apparently the first game patch should be out today for the PS3, about time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:45:35 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
I loved the single player of this game.  Thought it was really cool.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
The only thing I didnt like about the single player was the storyline was sucb a rip off from Black Ops, I mean the story was pretty good, but just way too similar to its main competitor.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
And it's not like codblops' story was good anyway :lol

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:01 AM »
So question guys.  I have Vista 64 bit so I don't have Direct X 11.  Would it be worth it to upgrade to windows 7 and get say an HD radeon 6750 card? 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
It's always worth it to upgrade from Windows Vista.  Upgrading to the 6xxx series will definitely make an improvement.  How much depends on how much you're willing to spend.  The 6750 isn't a bad card at all, but you won't be able to run it max settings.  For that, you'll want a 5970 or 6950.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:13 PM »
It's always worth it to upgrade from Windows Vista.  Upgrading to the 6xxx series will definitely make an improvement.  How much depends on how much you're willing to spend.  The 6750 isn't a bad card at all, but you won't be able to run it max settings.  For that, you'll want a 5970 or 6950.

I should add that I don't have any problems with Vista.  I really have zero complaints about it.  I would upgrade if I knew it would upgrade on top of Vista.  I don't wanna wipe my computer out if I don't have to.  But as far as graphics, is DX11 that much better that it's worth it to buy windows 7?

Why is a 5970 better than a 6750?  I just figured the higher the number, the better the card.

I should add that I am currently using a 4850.  It runs the game pretty decently on the lowest of settings.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:34:05 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #465 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
Holy shit that PS3 patch is a big one!! 758MB!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »

I should add that I don't have any problems with Vista.  I really have zero complaints about it.  I would upgrade if I knew it would upgrade on top of Vista.  I don't wanna wipe my computer out if I don't have to.  But as far as graphics, is DX11 that much better that it's worth it to buy windows 7?

Why is a 5970 better than a 6750?  I just figured the higher the number, the better the card.

I wouldn't really say that DX11 in and of itself is worth it, but Windows 7 is more streamlined and less of a resource hog, and benchmarks have shown that games running on Windows 7 and XP perform about the same, while Vista is a bit behind.  You can still upgrade your hardware first and make a decision about wiping later.

As for the numbers, here's the naming convention:

The first number is the series number.  This changes approximately every year I believe.  The 6xxx series is newer than the 5xxx series.

The last three numbers is where you can pick the higher number and it will be better.  The reason a 5970 is a good choice is because while it is last generation, it was the top of the line card back then.  Because it's last generation, it'll generally be a better value.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: November 30, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
Ohhh I see.  So I would want say like a 6850 to stay in the same range, but be up to date?

The other problem is I believe my power supply is only 460watts.  So I could run the 6750.  My guess is that a 6750 is going to be way better than my current 4850 though.  I also found out that I have 2 x16 slots on my MoBo so I could possibly do crossfire.  Although, again I think that would force me to get a new PSU. 

Not sure how much this is all worth it.  My goal would to be able to play the game at high settings, not ultra, but mostly I just want it to be smooth at that level. 

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: November 30, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
6850 is a good card.

But your posts are silly in this thread. "Should I upgrade to a better OS and a better video card?" Of course you should.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 30, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
Well I'm asking if its worth all the trouble I might have to go through.  These new cards may not fit in my case, and I'm unsure on the PSU.  I don't think I can fit a 6950 into my case, and I know I'd need a new psu.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 30, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
What are the specs on your PSU?  You may be borderline, but as long as it can put out the amps, you should be fine.  I'm running a 6950 and an overclocked Athlon II X4 635 (2.9 --> 3.6) using a 500W PSU and it's 99% stable (though I think that 1% is due to my RAM). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Maybe you should just build a new pc :)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
What are the specs on your PSU?  You may be borderline, but as long as it can put out the amps, you should be fine.  I'm running a 6950 and an overclocked Athlon II X4 635 (2.9 --> 3.6) using a 500W PSU and it's 99% stable (though I think that 1% is due to my RAM).

My PSU is 460watts I'm 99% sure.

I'm not going to build a pc cause the one I have now is pretty badass already and I got it 2 years ago.  I spent a lot of money on it.  I primarily use it for Audio recording, but recently have been gaming more and more.  That's why i'm trying to see what the most cost effective way of getting a bit more performance out of it would be.  It's definitely not old enough to be replace.  It also runs fucking amazing still.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: November 30, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Do you have the model number?  Watts by themselves don't really help much, we need to know how many amps it can put out.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Its an hp m9600t

AMD website says the 6850 needs 500w of power or better

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: November 30, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
PSU is an annoying but simple upgrade.

Post pics of your guts, it'll help in judging if the card is gonna be too big.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 30, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Yeah I'll do this when I get a chance.  I read somewhere that my case is 16.1" long or something along those lines.  So I should be able to fit a 10" long card no problems.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Its an hp m9600t

BAD BAD BAD!  That case is NOT designed for gaming, upgrading, or proper ventilation.  Your card only pulls about 110W, and any card worth upgrading to will require around 200W or more.  I'd recommend buying a new case+psu combo ($100 or less) that will give you more room, better ventilation, and the power needed for a new card.  Just move all your components over to the new case and you're set.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
oh, yuck. That case doesn't have any side fans? fuck. My case has 4 fans

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
THIS IS WHY YOU NEVER BUY PREFAB D:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
The new pc was a choke, but if you have concerns with power, video card size, and os, maybe a new case/power supply combo would be good for you so you can keep the guts of your pc. I think you can do a windows vista to 7 upgrade that keeps all your data as well.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #481 on: November 30, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
I'm gonna try to get a GTX 570 for Christmas, so I may actually be able to enjoy this game someday.  In the mean time, I'm not playing it whatsoever.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
Its an hp m9600t

BAD BAD BAD!  That case is NOT designed for gaming, upgrading, or proper ventilation.  Your card only pulls about 110W, and any card worth upgrading to will require around 200W or more.  I'd recommend buying a new case+psu combo ($100 or less) that will give you more room, better ventilation, and the power needed for a new card.  Just move all your components over to the new case and you're set.

lol fuck.  If that is what it will take I don't think I can upgrade.  That's a lot of work.  And I bought prefab cause I don't know how to build computers.  So this is all basically not an option.  Oh well.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #483 on: December 02, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »
Just went 43-11 for 15,595 points at Seine Crossing in Conquest. Probably my best game ever to date.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #484 on: December 02, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
Back to Karkand is releasing this Tuesday for the PS3!!!

December 13 for everyone else.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #485 on: December 02, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Back to Karkand is releasing this Tuesday for the PS3!!!

December 13 for everyone else.
You're lucky, Dimi. You got a week on everyone else.  >:(
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
IRNV finally nerfed in 4 days. Gonna stop using it now, thank god.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »
IRNV finally nerfed in 4 days. Gonna stop using it now, thank god.

link?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: December 04, 2011, 01:23:50 AM »
Cool thanks!  I just had some pretty good games.  I ended with a good score in all of them.  I was blowing up quite a few Mcoms in the last game I played.  This game is so sick.  It's challenging too.  The environments are just unreal.  So much fun.