Author Topic: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER  (Read 97227 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Battlefield 3 Thread v. BE ADVISED, AWESOME IN YOUR AO, OVER
« Reply #1120 on: June 07, 2021, 07:50:19 AM »
Just as long as it's not in the past. I feel like the past era FPS games have gotten really stale.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1121 on: June 07, 2021, 10:23:57 AM »
The other day there was an offer for free BF 4 on PC, I thought cool, I should try it out since I loved BF 3 back in the day. I apparently couldn't add the game to my library because I already had it  :|

I really need to clear my backlog of games to play.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1122 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:23 AM »
The other day there was an offer for free BF 4 on PC, I thought cool, I should try it out since I loved BF 3 back in the day. I apparently couldn't add the game to my library because I already had it  :|

I really need to clear my backlog of games to play.
Yea I feel ya, kinda have the same problem. Lots of games on steam i've never even installed.  :lol

I hope that since all Battlefield games now are on steam I hope the new one will be available on day one on steam and other services. #Exclusivitysucks
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1123 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
Hey EFX, do you still work at DICE? Any juicy intel you can offer?  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1124 on: June 09, 2021, 10:48:08 AM »
Battlefield 2042 Official Reveal Trailer

Looks epic but since it's a cinematic i'll just wait for the gameplay reveal on sunday before I unzip my pants.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: June 09, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »

Looks epic but since it's a cinematic i'll just wait for the gameplay reveal on sunday before I unzip my pants.

Yeah totally agree.  Video is pretty cool, but doesnt really get me too excited without gameplay footage or more info on modes and whatnot.  Being slightly in the future is pretty cool, the weather effects seem like they could be cool.  But who knows until you see gameplay.  An open beta coming up soon seems something to look forward to though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1126 on: June 09, 2021, 10:58:06 AM »

Yeah totally agree.  Video is pretty cool, but doesnt really get me too excited without gameplay footage or more info on modes and whatnot.  Being slightly in the future is pretty cool, the weather effects seem like they could be cool.  But who knows until you see gameplay.  An open beta coming up soon seems something to look forward to though.
I mean it's always the same during this time before a launch, people get overly excited for a cinematic and brand it "the game of the century" before actually seeing any type of gameplay.  :lol

Apparently there's ton of info about the multiplayer though but I haven't dissected anything myself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: June 09, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
I saw this is going to be multiplayer only and 128 player maps.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1128 on: June 09, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Honestly while I always enjoyed the campaigns in BF for what they are they always felt like a completly diffrent way of playing a battlefield game compared to MP. So I guess it's just better for them to focus on MP. I feel the talk about 128 players has been going on for 10 years or something.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: June 09, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »
Honestly while I always enjoyed the campaigns in BF for what they are they always felt like a completly diffrent way of playing a battlefield game compared to MP. So I guess it's just better for them to focus on MP. I feel the talk about 128 players has been going on for 10 years or something.  :lol

Yeah, I agree.  I've historically always enjoyed the single player campaign from BF/COD games, but the last few games I just didn't even bother because it starts to get all samey and in the end, we all know we are buying/playing the game for the multiplayer experience.  I think I've finally come to the point where no single player doesn't have a negative impact on my feelings towards these games.

Also, I want to know more about the BR mode.  That's where they will really make their money IMO.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1130 on: June 09, 2021, 12:04:21 PM »
Problem with BF campaigns is that they very rarely took advantage of any strengths of the multiplayer, so in the end you ended up with a campaign that was like COD, but worse.

In a way I am glad they are focusing on the multiplayer, but the value proposition of the $70 package is now far less. Can't say I am super excited by the setting either. Give me 2143 dammit!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline efx

« Reply #1131 on: June 09, 2021, 02:17:30 PM »

Haha, haven't posted in forever but I'm glad I saw this. So happy this is finally out there, more stuff coming soon. It's extra special for me as this one has been made entirely from home. Haven't seen the office in well over a year so it's been an interesting journey but getting this trailer out today feels like total therapy :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: June 09, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »

Haha, haven't posted in forever but I'm glad I saw this. So happy this is finally out there, more stuff coming soon. It's extra special for me as this one has been made entirely from home. Haven't seen the office in well over a year so it's been an interesting journey but getting this trailer out today feels like total therapy :)

I read the BR mode won't be out for a few months after release.  Do you know why this is?  As a warzone player this upsets me because it means I likely won't be putting Warzone down until 2022  :(

Either way, I'm glad you are getting to see the joys of your work.  The trailer looked good and there's so much potential here.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1133 on: June 10, 2021, 06:09:30 AM »
That trailer looked great! sad that it's MP only. I've been gaming for ages on the PC but man I still don't care for MP at all, I'm all about the single-player mode and the campaigns.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1134 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »

Yea I can imagine it's a relief after this crazy time. It has to have been a logistical nightmare to suddenly switch directing everyone from home. Also I guess depending on who you ask boring to not meet your collegues in the same way.

Offline efx

« Reply #1135 on: June 10, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »
Thank you guys again for the nice compliments, hope you'll be understanding that I can't comment on design decisions at this point. Hopefully there'll be more official word soon on things :)

And yeah, I miss my coworkers as many of them are my friends and any creative work gets a bit dulled sitting doing it at home :/

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1136 on: June 10, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
I can imagine working from home is very different for such large projects with many parts forming a whole. I hope the game will be amazing!

I think it is not that big of a deal that Battlefield by Dice does not have a singleplayer. I personally think there has not been a worthwhile significant campaign in many years (warstories were nice, but obviously not the focus of the overall package). And of all the online shooter multiplayer modes, I like Battlefield the best.

As I am more of a singleplayer guy, I do wish that someday maybe a big standalone singleplayer game will be made using the tech/visuals and gameplay of the Battlefield/Battlefront games, because it is very good. Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 1 (the ones I play with friends every now and then) look and play amazing, no matter the platform it's on. Some seriously impressive stuff.

On a sidenote, CoD is different for me, most campaigns are somewhat short but have big production values and feature significant actors and high quality cinematics. Ironically the least favoured CoD, Infinite Warfare, had in my opinion an awesome campaign with heavy season 1 The Expanse vibes (with actual space combat and zero gravity shootouts).  Black Ops 4 was thus a big dissapointment for me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1137 on: June 10, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »
Thank you guys again for the nice compliments, hope you'll be understanding that I can't comment on design decisions at this point. Hopefully there'll be more official word soon on things :)

And yeah, I miss my coworkers as many of them are my friends and any creative work gets a bit dulled sitting doing it at home :/
Yea no worries!  :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1138 on: June 10, 2021, 01:43:51 PM »
I'm surprised we don't have more massive-scale online shooters yet. There was a game on PS3 called MAG that had 256 person lobbies. The maps were enormous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: June 10, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »

Yup, np  :tup

On a sidenote, CoD is different for me, most campaigns are somewhat short but have big production values and feature significant actors and high quality cinematics. Ironically the least favoured CoD, Infinite Warfare, had in my opinion an awesome campaign with heavy season 1 The Expanse vibes (with actual space combat and zero gravity shootouts).  Black Ops 4 was thus a big dissapointment for me.

I agree about the COD campaigns being fun because of the "big production values" but even then, I didn't even bother to play Cold Wars because the game itself was just terrible IMO.  I wish I never bought it. It was the only game I've bought in about a year now surprisingly.  That's because Warzone (which runs on the Modern Warfare engine) is still a better FPS experience.  I think most COD fans are just itching for a better experience now after over a year with Warzone and the game is still plagued with issues.

I'm surprised we don't have more massive-scale online shooters yet. There was a game on PS3 called MAG that had 256 person lobbies. The maps were enormous.

My opinion, I think the massive scales add some really cool aspects, but also sometimes take away from others.  My understanding was that BF could support 128 players for a long time now but apparently from testing it wasn't more fun or a better experience.  I keep bringing up Warzone, but I can't help but think the 150 player BR game is sometimes "too much" as in, it's awesome the game can support such a large scale but sometimes the smaller mode of 40 players can end up being more fun.  It's hard to say, especially because Conquest is much different than BR.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1140 on: July 23, 2021, 02:27:43 AM »
Have to say Battlefield Portals could be something absolutely massive for the community. It's sounds really cool I just hope the ground mechanics like gunplay in BF2042 is solid so that dosen't ruin the overall experience.

Yup, np  :tup

I agree about the COD campaigns being fun because of the "big production values" but even then, I didn't even bother to play Cold Wars because the game itself was just terrible IMO.  I wish I never bought it. It was the only game I've bought in about a year now surprisingly.  That's because Warzone (which runs on the Modern Warfare engine) is still a better FPS experience.  I think most COD fans are just itching for a better experience now after over a year with Warzone and the game is still plagued with issues.

My opinion, I think the massive scales add some really cool aspects, but also sometimes take away from others.  My understanding was that BF could support 128 players for a long time now but apparently from testing it wasn't more fun or a better experience.  I keep bringing up Warzone, but I can't help but think the 150 player BR game is sometimes "too much" as in, it's awesome the game can support such a large scale but sometimes the smaller mode of 40 players can end up being more fun.  It's hard to say, especially because Conquest is much different than BR.
I have found memories in BF3 playing 4v4, 8v8 or 16v16 on large maps, that was so much fun.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:33:29 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: July 23, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »
Portals could be really fun and interesting.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1142 on: July 23, 2021, 11:14:09 AM »
Yea I agree, it seems like just a big love letter to the communty. I just wished Damavand Peak was one of the maps, I used to play that map alot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: July 26, 2021, 08:19:30 AM »
Yea I agree, it seems like just a big love letter to the communty. I just wished Damavand Peak was one of the maps, I used to play that map alot.

Maybe eventually, it definitely does come off as a big thank you to the community. Also kind of reminds me of Halo forge which lead to a lot of fun custom games.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: October 06, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Anyone else jumping into the beta?

I loaded it last night and looking forward to checking it out after work today

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: October 06, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
I was about to but I haven't pre-ordered it so I have to wait until friday.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1146 on: October 06, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
I downloaded it only to realize I didn't pre-order so I can't play until the weekend. I'm eager to give it a shot and hear your thoughts cram.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1147 on: October 06, 2021, 09:30:36 PM »
I downloaded the beta last night but didn't realize you needed to preorder it to play. Waste of a 20 gb download, should have read more carefully.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: October 06, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »
Hold onto it, the public beta starts October 8.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1149 on: October 07, 2021, 01:42:34 AM »
It's such a sneaky way to get people to pre-order.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1150 on: October 07, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
I will admit, I pre-ordered just to be able to play not only the beta early, but the full game early.  It's really the only selling point to me for pre-purchase.  I figure'd I'd be buying it anyway so might as well take advantage.

As for the beta, I played for like 4 hours last night.  It's SO buggy.  Like really badly buggy.  Mostly everything in the sky you see is glitchy specifically the parachutes.  I got so many easy kills because even though players had landed on the ground, I could still see their parachutes hovering above them (even through ceilings and walls). 

The sound kind of sucks.  Maybe I'm used to COD which is super loud, but this game is so quiet which is surprising for how much action is going on.  Definitely needs improvement in this area.

The graphics are not too impressive and overall performance I would say is "bad".

Having said that, I understand this is an earlier build from months ago and most of this stuff has likely been fixed.  So I don't want to be too negative regarding bugs with a beta.  Also it seems squads are limited to 4 people and other friends can't join the same match even on a different squad.  Hopefully that's not the case in the main game as it wasn't in previous Battlefields.  My group of gamer friends is more than 4 who want to play this so it sucked last night that some had to sit out.

Onto the good stuff... the gun play is great.  It really feels good shooting the guns and controlling the recoil.  I struggled quite a bit in my first hour playing but by hour 3 I was slaying people and it felt great.  Being able to switch attachments on the fly is new and interesting.  The robot dog is awesome, it was really fun running along the hillside with my squad (4 of us) and a dog and just taking out anyone who was in our path.  The map is pretty cool.  It's large and diverse.  It feels like BF4 in some ways being more modern.  (this is great as someone who wasn't a fan of the older weapons from BF5 and BF1). 

Now the Tornado is something else.  That was fun, exciting, seemingly random and the animations of the lightning strikes is really cool.  I think the tornado was the most fun I had in this game.  I feel you'll see a lot of streamers getting really cool clips of action from the tornado.  There's a lot of potential for crazy moments.  Also, out of all the issues I mentioned, it seemed the Tornado was actually pretty smooth.  Didn't create crazy lag or anything, it looked great.  The effect on gameplay was cool.  We captured a point with the help of the tornado.  It creates strategy in a way.  The other major map change on this one map that's in the beta is the rocket.  I saw in someone's video it blew up, but in the games I played it either did nothing or it shot straight into the air with all sorts of smoke on ground level.  Pretty cool!

Oh and the grappling and ropes are a new feature that adds a lot to the movement aspect of the game.  Being able to shoot while using the ropes is awesome too.  Same with being able to shoot while parachuting.  This is going to make for a lot of fun clips.

I captured lots of good footage, but I only posted one clip so far, it's riding the elevator which is super buggy but funny https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1445958247152852992

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1151 on: October 07, 2021, 09:34:56 AM »
If you guys want a break from serious gaming the  Epic store has a PC building simulator for free

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/pc-building-simulator

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: October 08, 2021, 11:48:42 AM »
It seemed like all the performance issues I had from day 1 were gone last night.  Also, there was not a single in game event (tornado or rocket launch) in any of the games I played last night which makes me wonder if it may be related to that?  Like I know that stuffs random, but it happened enough in my first day playing to make me wonder if they turned it off or something yesterday.  Just speculation.  I'm having a lot of fun though.  Can't wait to get the full game with all the maps, modes, and weapons and having my leveling up be legit. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: October 08, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Tried some BF2042 today. Haven't played a BF game in years or actually that kind of FPS in general. Sadly after an hour I felt I had enough, I don't know, that kind of chaotic gameplay just dosen't tick with me anymore. I looved BF3 back in the day and played that like crazy. This feels like a mix between a bunch of todays most popular games instead of being what it used to be. Maybe I should play with a fresh mind tomorrow.  :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: October 10, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
Seems a lot of old school BF players didn't like the way they integrated some new things into the game like the sliding and grappling which makes the movement feel more like COD or Apex Legends.  For me, I thought it was a nice addition to keep the gameplay and gunplay feeling fresh.  I probably put 20 hours into the game over the last 4 days.  I even managed to grapple and somehow get glitched to be able to stand on the rocket after it blasted off  :lol https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1446870248230109185

Game is a huge W IMO.  I think every single one of my friends who tried it really had fun.  Although, I think we are all a bit burnt out of that same map now though.  Luckily, there's so much more content in the game when it releases.  Going to be a long month wait. 

I'm really curious about Hazard zone though.  My biggest concern right now is that conquest mode is not going to keep interest in the game far into 2022.  They need a competitive mode that gets people excited.  If it's not a BR mode (it doesn't appear to be) then it's got to be a new spin off mode that keeps people engaged and interested to want to keep playing for the long term.  I would say there is some potential for that with the Portal mode, but that's also a bit undetermined at this point.