Author Topic: What Are Your Top Ten Favorite Animals, and Why? (Besides other humans)  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Are Your Top Ten Favorite Animals, and Why? (Besides other humans)
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
Oh god.  I can probably pick my ten favorite animals, but not their order.  So I’ll just do this alphabetically:

Bat (if I had to pick a specific species, I’d probably go with the Egyptian Fruit Bat, but bats in general are amazing)
Dolphin
Fox
Gecko
Golden Eagle
Raccoon
Ringtailed Lemur
Spider Monkey
Squirrel

And the last spot is an umpteen-way tie between spiders, scorpions, cheetahs, crows, falcons, blue jays, frogs, pigs, ferrets, skunks, organgutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, various other species of monkeys, beagles, pugs, golden retrievers, various other breeds of dogs, various breeds of domestic cats, turtles, kangaroos, jackrabbits, mice, lions, hummingbirds, koalas, giraffes, grasshoppers, fireflies, chameleons, ducks, bears, tasmanian devils, badgers, goldfish, otters, whales, sharks, and most of the rest of the animal kingdom.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:10:54 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »
My favourites:

1. Moths
2. Orca (Killer Whale)
3. Narwhal/Wolf/Snakes

Offline John94

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37:59 AM »
Don't have a top 10. Just a top 1.

Penguins are the greatest creatures, ever. I want to have one as a pet.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
10. Penguins
9. Polar bear
8. Humming Birds
7. Octopus
6. Cats
5. Eagles
4. Dolphins: Cute and fun
3. Lions: Just like cute cats, only bigger
2. Crocodiles/Alligators: As someone pointed out earlier, these creatures are perfect.
1. Komodo Dragon: First of all it's called a freaking dragon which already makes it the most awesome animal in planet earth. On top of that, it's breath is deadly, just like a dragon. No contest.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 12:42:50 PM »
Didn't know where else to put this. A Praying Mantis has been keeping residence in my window planter outside literally since mid April. That's when I first noticed it when watering them....and sure enough....it's just made it's home there.

I've hand fed it a couple times and look forward to seeing it every time I water. With the fall/winter closing in I'm tempted to capture it and try to keep it over the winter. I've read a little bit about them and it's possible to keep them alive...but, I also don't want to interfere with the natural order of things. But I'm attached to this thing now  :lol  And, it's belly is HUGE right now which leads me to believe it's about to deposit eggs.

I'm trying to decide if I should cage this thing for the winter and release next spring....of which....I highly doubt it'll just take up residence again, especially after being cooped up. But I hate the thought of it dying as it's a crap shoot from what I've read as to if it survives the winter or not. Anyway......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
Didn't know where else to put this. A Praying Mantis has been keeping residence in my window planter outside literally since mid April. That's when I first noticed it when watering them....and sure enough....it's just made it's home there.

I've hand fed it a couple times and look forward to seeing it every time I water. With the fall/winter closing in I'm tempted to capture it and try to keep it over the winter. I've read a little bit about them and it's possible to keep them alive...but, I also don't want to interfere with the natural order of things. But I'm attached to this thing now  :lol  And, it's belly is HUGE right now which leads me to believe it's about to deposit eggs.

I'm trying to decide if I should cage this thing for the winter and release next spring....of which....I highly doubt it'll just take up residence again, especially after being cooped up. But I hate the thought of it dying as it's a crap shoot from what I've read as to if it survives the winter or not. Anyway......

Just leave it be and keep observing. There is no reason for you to enclose it and claim ownership over it and determine it's fate. Respect it's place, respect it's there, and just leave it be. That's how humans, and how we natives respected nature. If the wind blows it away then it blows it away, if the rains sweep it away then it sweeps it away. Animals can and do have ways of surviving. I've seen this happen with the ants in my field, I water, they run and close their hole, and the next day they're there doing the same thing as they were before.

What's actually a neat story is these Ants began claiming a Pumpkin that was growing by their hole. They gathered stones and dirt, the kind similar to the ones they use to build their mound, and built a mound around the pumpkin. When we watered, it washed it away, and they built another barrier around it. So I said, I guess that's their pumpkin now...I left it and just made sure the other bugs weren't getting to it. We actually plant separate fields as some are for the animals (like birds and squirrels), for the bugs, and then for us. We understood there is no way you can get a fully grown field of produce for human consumption, Farmers are always guaranteed loses.

I've seen a few Praying Mantis on my squash plants and found out they're good for the worms that were sucking the life out of the squash plant leaves and making them wilt. We also had Toads, snakes, of course lots and lots of species of bees. Those are interesting too as they tend to look like they're asleep all curled up in the squash flower blossoms.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »

Do you often harbor murderers?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »

Do you often harbor murderers?

:lol   I've always loved Praying Mantis.  They're just wicked looking and are like a perfectly evolved insect. They can fly, outmuscle and dominate a lot of their peers and they blend in and hide incredibly. Just think if those things got as big as deer or even cattle?  :omg: 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online pg1067

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »
So as not to split hairs and get into what defines an animnal, there are 6 main classes of animals in this world: mammals, birds, fishes, reptiles, amphibians,and invertebrates...so, this be what I'm talkin' about.

Wasn't around when this thread was started.  This is in no particular order:

1/2.  Cows and pigs because bacon and cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers....

3/4/5.  I would probably give several spots if I broke this down between species, but whales, dolphins and sharks because there are few animals that are nearly as cool.

6.  Big cats (lions, tigers, cheetahs, leoards).  With one exception, the most badass land animals there are.

7.  Bears - the one exception to #6.

8.  Dogs/wolves.  "Man's best friend" and their badass counterpart in the wild.

9.  Pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, walruses).  Can you tell I dig marine mammals?

10.  There are several candidates for #10, but I'm going to give it to the rhinoceros.  They're just kinda weird and the closest thing we have today to the conception of dinosaurs when I was a kid.

Honorable mention:  raptors (eagles, hawks, etc.), owls, otters, elephants, giraffes, cape buffalo, bison, penguins.

Anything that can be labeled a bug or insect can go fuck right off.  Go be ecologically important as far away from me as possible.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »
So as not to split hairs and get into what defines an animnal, there are 6 main classes of animals in this world: mammals, birds, fishes, reptiles, amphibians,and invertebrates...so, this be what I'm talkin' about.

Wasn't around when this thread was started.  This is in no particular order:

1/2.  Cows and pigs because bacon and cheeseburgers and bacon cheeseburgers....

And moink balls!!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2021, 11:13:56 AM »
First off, the “besides other humans” part assumes humans are the best, when we are far and away the worst animals on the planet. With that said, I’ll actually make my list.

I have long been an animal lover. Ever since I was a kid I found peace in almost all animals, and outside of mosquitoes, flies, wasps, and cicadas, I love all animals. I have my entire top three as pets, so clearly there is a hierarchy in my ranking, but make no mistake about it, animals are one of the few things I find true happiness in, and all of this planet’s creatures are beautiful and deserve love and respect.

01) Snakes: everything about these creatures is absolutely fascinating. They might just be the most interesting vertebrates on the planet. My personal favorite snake is the Indian Cobra, which would make that specific species my very favorite animal. I’ve always wanted to work with snakes beyond having a California King as a pet, and I’m hoping I can take some classes to work towards a degree in Herpetology so I can potentially work with what is in my opinion, the coolest animals ever.

02) Cats: while snakes are my favorite animal, the best pets are cats. My spirit animal for those who believe in that stuff, I’ve been waving the feline flag in the “cat vs dog” debate for my whole life, and my connection to cats might have to do with the fact that I was born into a house with them, and I’ve never not had at least one. While I love all animals, cats are the one creature that I feel incomplete without, as evidenced by the five currently living in my house.

03) Spiders: probably the biggest surprise on the list, the most feared animal in the world has been one of my favorites since I’m a toddler. Because of this, I have taken on a role among my loved ones as THE bug guy, called upon whenever any creepy crawler makes a cameo appearance. This role is especially important for spiders, as many people around me are absolutely terrified of them, while I calmly and gently let them out, refusing to kill them as they eat a lot of bugs that can actually hurt us like mosquitoes and flies. I also have two pet tarantulas, rounding out my collection of top three animals.

04) Scorpions: you guys are gonna probably start to notice a theme with this list, as I tend to like animals that other people seem to have a problem with. Part of it may be my contrarian nature, but I think it has to do with me growing up interested in science, and learning more about these creatures made me see how misunderstood they are. Scorpions are similar to spiders in the way people react to them, but just like spiders, they’re super interesting and cool once you actually take the time to learn about them.

05) Lizards: reptiles are my favorite class of animals, with snakes and lizards doing most of the heavy lifting for reasons why I love them so much. Lizards are definitely the most diverse group of reptiles, and this diversity is what makes them so cool. Some of my favorites are the frilled lizard, the green iguana, the Gila monster, and the Komodo dragon.

06) Sharks and Rays: I lumped these together because they’re in the same family of fish with their cartilage skeletons. Learning about the basics of one is learning the basics of the other, but they definitely have a lot of differences as well. My favorites are the hammerhead shark and manta ray, two absolute giants of the sea.

07) Bats: right now bats have a bad reputation due to them being the original carriers of the Covid-19 virus, but as the world’s only flying mammal, they’re among the most unique animals in the world. I especially love flying foxes, giant dinural fruit bats that look like puppies with wings.

08) Raptors: I’m talking about birds of prey here and not the dinosaurs, as I’m not including any extinct animals. I’ve always said that if I could pick any superpower, it would be flight, so it makes sense that some animals that can fly would make my list. I tend to lean more towards carnivores as well, as their physiology is just so much more interesting than herbivores. Falcons, eagles, and hawks are my favorites of the bunch, with some real power and unique features that make them dangerous predators.

09) Squids: this entry is for one specific species, the giant squid. The ultimate sea monster, it has been the subject of many sea stories, and it’s the inspiration for monsters like the Kraken and Cthulhu. Octopus are cool as well, but there’s something about a 60 foot deep sea monster that hardly anyone has ever seen is badass.

10) Dragonflies: the best aviators in the world, their ability to turn on a dime mid air while flying at upwards of 35mph is incredible. They pick off other flying insects like it’s nothing, having complete command of the airspace they inhabit, with only birds being a threat to them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »
1. Cats

Here be Dragons...Amongst other animals...

100. Dogs.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:59:09 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2021, 02:50:10 AM »
“Mans best friend”.

Yeah. Cause they can’t do fuck all without you 😝😝🤣

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2021, 07:53:50 AM »
“Mans best friend”.

Why would I want a pet that didn't need me?

Cats aren't pets.  They are, at best, cohabitants.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2021, 07:56:23 AM »
-Opens a thread about animals we love-
-Sees someone bashing dogs....again...multiple times-

Anywho, the correct answer to this thread (which I honestly thought I posted, but I can't see it)....

Why? I'm unsure. Not the smartest. Not the cutest. Not the most loveable. But for some reason, I just absolutely find them fascinating and always break into an awful Australian/New Zealand (So bad it's neither of these) accent when I'm around one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:57:45 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
Well, other humans are my least favorite.  So, just about anything else that isn't an insect could possibly be in the top ten.  Cats certainly isn't one of them.  However, dogs are at the top of the list.  Anything in between is a toss up.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2021, 11:41:03 AM »
Well, other humans are my least favorite. 
You and me both.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
“Mans best friend”.

For me, owning a pet has nothing to do with control, which is a small part of why people love dogs so much. You don’t have control over your spouse, but I don’t think you would call them a cohabitant. They’re family, a creature you live with out of love and respect. Pets are the same way, and the fact that cats aren’t as needy as dogs actually makes them better pets to have in a working world. A dog’s constant need for humans makes it nearly impossible to work a full time schedule. Cats, you feed them wet food in the morning before you leave for work, make sure they have clean water, dry food, and a clean litter box for while you’re out, then you replenish their dry food and water, clean their litter box, and feed them another dish of wet food when you get home. Then you have all the time in the world before you go to bed to spend time with them and show affection. Dogs are essentially babies that never learn to talk, and that doesn’t work for everybody. Don’t get me wrong I love dogs, but the fact is cats are our equals in the house while dogs are our underlings, and I personally prefer the former.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
“Mans best friend”.

For me, owning a pet has nothing to do with control, which is a small part of why people love dogs so much. You don’t have control over your spouse, but I don’t think you would call them a cohabitant. They’re family, a creature you live with out of love and respect. Pets are the same way, and the fact that cats aren’t as needy as dogs actually makes them better pets to have in a working world. A dog’s constant need for humans makes it nearly impossible to work a full time schedule. Cats, you feed them wet food in the morning before you leave for work, make sure they have clean water, dry food, and a clean litter box for while you’re out, then you replenish their dry food and water, clean their litter box, and feed them another dish of wet food when you get home. Then you have all the time in the world before you go to bed to spend time with them and show affection. Dogs are essentially babies that never learn to talk, and that doesn’t work for everybody. Don’t get me wrong I love dogs, but the fact is cats are our equals in the house while dogs are our underlings, and I personally prefer the former.
Hey, if a cat works for you, great.

My dog (a husky) definitely communicates with me, and is much more than a baby that never learned to talk.  Hell, she CAN talk, almost.  But she needs me, in a way that no cat I've ever seen really NEEDED its owner.  A cat is probably a superior animal, but for me and my sensibilities, that makes it a worse pet.  I mean, if I say "Come here!" to my dog, she will come here.  A cat will come IF IT IS SO INCLINED TO DO SO.  I already have one wife and two kids, I don't need a cat lol.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2021, 02:18:09 PM »
You and me both.

We agree!!  :eek :hifive:

To be fair, One of your least favorite animals agreed with you.  :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2021, 03:04:49 PM »
You and me both.

We agree!!  :eek :hifive:

To be fair, One of your least favorite animals agreed with you.  :(

Right, and another least favorite animal actually felt the need to point that out. :rollin

Online Adami

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2021, 03:05:46 PM »
I wouldn’t be your least favorite if I didn’t.  :-[
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2021, 03:28:07 PM »
I wouldn’t be your least favorite if I didn’t.  :-[

Agreed! :hifive: :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2021, 04:43:38 PM »
" Dogs are essentially babies ".

I was saying this exact thing recently.

Dogs are basically babies cause you have to do everything for them and they cry and scream at everything.

Cats are adults or older teenagers. You give them a home and food and they can look after themselves - and show you affection if they think you deserve it.

:)

I don't mind dogs as animals - I pet them when i see them out and about cause I love animals in general. Love chihuahuas and Welsh Border Collies  :heart

but I could never have a dog. I'd rather have pet rats than dogs.

Also it's true that Cat people are like ' I love cats and don't mind dogs but they're not for me ' :)

Dog people are like ' OMG All dogs are literally angels sent form Jesus Christ himself to look after humans and they would do anything for us and we don't deserve them

and all cats are evil bastards who should be fed into meat grinders ASAP "

;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2021, 07:03:59 PM »
My beautiful little 17 year old girl Sally.  My little Love Bug.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2021, 07:27:03 PM »
That beast has that "How can I kill something" look on its face.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2021, 08:03:54 PM »
Get the fuck out Tim. She is blissful.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2021, 08:08:10 PM »
Also it's true that Cat people are like ' I love cats and don't mind dogs but they're not for me ' :)

Dog people are like ' OMG All dogs are literally angels sent form Jesus Christ himself to look after humans and they would do anything for us and we don't deserve them

and all cats are evil bastards who should be fed into meat grinders ASAP "

;D

This here perfectly sums up my biggest issue with dogs: most dog people I've encountered seem to think that you can only like one or the other. I love dogs, but I prefer cats, especially as pets, but I've been forced to defend cats and their merits by dog owners who just don't understand how someone can prefer anything over their beloved canines, and cats get the brunt of this being the most popular "alternative" to dogs.

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »
I will freely admit I love both but cats are easier.  That why I don't have a dog. But I love both.