Author Topic: GTA V  (Read 94924 times)

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
Re: GTA V
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
They're a lot easier to deal with back when they incorporated some comedy.  Part of the appeal of TBoGT was that there was a lot of humor to their situation.  Hadn't really thought about it, but tons of funny stuff happened to CJ (The Truth and that federal agent come to mind).  Don't think Nicko ever laughed once in IV.

Well IV had Brucie, but compared to the earlier games it was rather humorless.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
San Andreas was definately the better of the two story/character wise (CJ, Tennpenny and Truth vs Niko, some Russian and Brucie), but IMO IV had the better gameplay (not by enough to compensate for the story though). Also agree on the Lost and the Damned, added much needed edginess, context and brutality - it felt like the main story in IV could have been about anyone, really.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
I would like a 30's GTA one day. L.A Noire is almost that but I wanna be the mafia :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
San Andreas was definately the better of the two story/character wise (CJ, Tennpenny and Truth vs Niko, some Russian and Brucie), but IMO IV had the better gameplay (not by enough to compensate for the story though). Also agree on the Lost and the Damned, added much needed edginess, context and brutality - it felt like the main story in IV could have been about anyone, really.
Pretty much sums it up.  Personally,  I couldn't stand Brucie, and made it my point to kill him at every opportunity.  Then he'd call from the hospital and after telling him I'd pick up him,  I'd either run him over again or just ghost him.  In fact,  I think I'm going to start the game up right now, just so I can call for one of those helicopter rides and then RPG his dumb ass out over the bay.

Jacob was a helluva guy, though. 

I would like a 30's GTA one day. L.A Noire is almost that but I wanna be the mafia :lol
The Godfather might be right up your alley.  It was actually a fantastic idea.  Your character was an unseen player in all of the events during the two movies.  So your missions are things like sneaking into some stables to cut off a horse's head,  and trying to protect Sonny after he goes hauling ass off to meet his destiny at the toll plaza.  Excellent writing.  Clemenza and Tessio are your main bosses, I believe.  The gameplay isn't bad, but all of the racketeering missions are flawed.  Still,  you could probably pick it up for $10 and be amused for a while.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline krands85

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
Bit of a bump, but I couldn't see anything newer other than the video games thread. GTA5 has been delayed until September  :-[

Dear all,

Today, we have an official release date to share with you: Grand Theft Auto V will arrive in stores on September 17, 2013.

We know this is about four months later than originally planned and we know that this short delay will come as a disappointment to many of you, but, trust us, it will be worth the extra time. GTAV is a massively ambitious and complex game and it simply needs a little more polish to be of the standard we and, more importantly, you require.

To all Grand Theft Auto fans, please accept our apologies for the delay, and our promise that the entire team here is working very hard to make the game all it can be. We are doing all we can to help ensure it will meet if not exceed your expectations come September – we thank you for your support and patience.

Yours,
The GTA Team

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/48591/grand-theft-auto-v-is-coming-9172013.html

Was just beginning to get excited about it coming out soon! I admire the fact they don't want to release it before it's 100% finished, but it's a bit annoying!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
I was just wondering when that thing would be out. Looks like they decided to wait until my birthday to release it.

Honestly, I'm not terribly excited, regardless. I hope it's good, but after IV, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm sure the gameplay will be fine, but previous incarnations were more than the game mechanics. The environments and situations had character and style. In IV they were all about substance. I fear that's a trend that might continue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
It's going to be awesome.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
My pocket thanks them!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »
That trailer looked like it'll be modern day Skyrim. That makes me very happy in my trousers.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
I was just wondering when that thing would be out. Looks like they decided to wait until my birthday to release it.

Honestly, I'm not terribly excited, regardless. I hope it's good, but after IV, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm sure the gameplay will be fine, but previous incarnations were more than the game mechanics. The environments and situations had character and style. In IV they were all about substance. I fear that's a trend that might continue.

I'm confident in Roackstar. Despite the mountain of stuff that let me down in GTA-IV (the driving angles being the biggest), there were tons of new features that caught me by pleasent surprise. I'm hoping Rockstar listens to the fans and makes the needed corrections. I am really hoping they implement controls that are as similar to RDR as possible (crosses fingers for dead-eye).

I was reading an article not too long ago that was talking about the level of sophistication that all the pedestrians have. For example, say you see a guy weed whacking... that's his profession. If you wanted to, you could watch him weed whack all day, follow him to his home, and the next morning he will return to work as a weed whacker. If you were to kill him, you'd never see him again.

From my understanding you play as multiple characters in the story line. You can start a mission that requires you to complete an objective as one character, and you then need to take control of another character in the mission and fulfill their objective. I'm not quite sure how that is going to work out, but I'm being optimistic.

In terms of the scope of the map and visuals, it looks absolutely stunning.

My Wishlist:
1) Custom radio stations
2) No gym, conditioning, and eating requirements.
3) The ability to drive a semi with trailer attached.
4) The ability to toe random cars with toe trucks like in GTA San Andreas
5) Not needing to deal with girlfriends
6) A decent level of gore (unlikely)
7) Less blur affect and greater draw distance
8) Make money an important factor. Be able to bribe police and things of that nature.
9) Finishing moves while street fighting (like the ones in Saints Row III, just not as comical)
10) Hot chicks on roller blades with bosoms that adhere to the laws of gravity.
11) More realistic damage, not just to cars, but the environment as well. If I smash a car through a concrete wall, I want there to be a hole in it for at least a couple of days.
12) The ability to hold people at gun point and force them to do things (preferably the ability to force people into a vehicle, drive them into the forest, then execute them).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »
My wish list is quite simple.

1: Add some humor this time around.

Fin

I was reading an article not too long ago that was talking about the level of sophistication that all the pedestrians have. For example, say you see a guy weed whacking... that's his profession. If you wanted to, you could watch him weed whack all day, follow him to his home, and the next morning he will return to work as a weed whacker. If you were to kill him, you'd never see him again.
That's pretty cool. Honestly, it's not the technical side that needs work. I'm fully confident that R* will include fantastic game mechanics. I consider their use of Euphoria in IV to be one of the biggest steps forward in gaming we've seen, and it resulted in some fantastic game moments. It was the plot that sucked. When you remove the fun stuff from the story you wind up with redundant missions interspersed with running errands for your dipshit cousin.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »

Fin

That's pretty cool. Honestly, it's not the technical side that needs work. I'm fully confident that R* will include fantastic game mechanics. I consider their use of Euphoria in IV to be one of the biggest steps forward in gaming we've seen, and it resulted in some fantastic game moments. It was the plot that sucked. When you remove the fun stuff from the story you wind up with redundant missions interspersed with running errands for your dipshit cousin.

True, but that's a problem I've had in the GTA series for a long time. Eventually, everything becomes a "go here and kill this guy", "drive here and do this", or "go steal this car and don't damage it". How they fix that, I'm not really sure. Maybe Skyrim, RDR, and GTA need to have some sort of love child. I would really like to see more intelligent gameplay. Not on the side the AI, but on the side of the user. I want missions where I actually need to pause and assess what the situation is. I want to have to think my way through stuff, not just shoot a million guys or drive really fast. I want my correct decisions to be rewarded while my incorrect ones make the game a real bitch.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
Since i actually didn't know they had announced or spoken about a possible release date it came as no shock to me other than i have to wait for the possible PC release until 2014 and that sounds far away!  :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
Since i actually didn't know they had announced or spoken about a possible release date it came as no shock to me other than i have to wait for the possible PC release until 2014 and that sounds far away!  :'(

I wouldn't get sad just yet. The screenshots and trailers (IMO) look way too pretty to be on either 360 or PS3. The several month delay might be because they plan on releasing a PC version on launch day.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

I wouldn't get sad just yet. The screenshots and trailers (IMO) look way too pretty to be on either 360 or PS3. The several month delay might be because they plan on releasing a PC version on launch day.

However, that doesn't mean that it's not designed for a Next Gen console. The PS4 and Xbox 720 and due for release this year if not early next year, I think Rockstar are waiting for that to be perfectly honest

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »
The graphics look great for a game made by Rockstar North, but come on, this is no Crysis. I fully believe that's all console.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
The several month delay might be because they plan on releasing a PC version on launch day.
Yea that thought crossed my mind actually. Maybe that IS the reason for the delay.....*wishful thinking*
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

However, that doesn't mean that it's not designed for a Next Gen console. The PS4 and Xbox 720 and due for release this year if not early next year, I think Rockstar are waiting for that to be perfectly honest

No way. If a new console was coming out this year, we would know by now for sure. Best case scenario, we'll get a new Xbox in the first half of 2014, and the PS4 will probably be at least 6 months behind that. Rockstar said September 2013 release. No chance of next gen consoles by then.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

No way. If a new console was coming out this year, we would know by now for sure.
I don't know if they're coming out this year (though I wouldn't put it past MS to release the new Xbox in the fall) but their announcement IS coming, that's a fact.

Just look at the release calendar for games this year, only two "big" games have been announced for a date later than May and both are delayed games. (GTA V and Splinter Cell: Blacklist)

Offline adameastment

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:37 AM »

No way. If a new console was coming out this year, we would know by now for sure.
I don't know if they're coming out this year (though I wouldn't put it past MS to release the new Xbox in the fall) but their announcement IS coming, that's a fact.

Just look at the release calendar for games this year, only two "big" games have been announced for a date later than May and both are delayed games. (GTA V and Splinter Cell: Blacklist)
The way I see it, Rockstar are in an incredibly tough position, they either release it on the Current Console then possibly lose sales a year later when the newer Gen consoles come out, or hold off until there is some sort of announcement that will allow them to put it on them. I mean, I can see them holding off right up until the new consoles are released to be quite honest with you, unless they are desperate for sales.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »

But GTA-V was developed from the ground up (so I've read). I can't see how they could manage to bring it up to snuff in terms of next gen specs in such a short time. To my knowledge, developers have only had the dev kits for a half a year or so. E3 is probably when we'll get at least one unveil... that is unless Microsoft or Sony doesn't host its own event like Apple does.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I bet Rockstar has dev kits of the next Xbox and PS. I bet all the major developers have them and they probably have been working on porting GTA V to them.

It wouldn't be a new thing, at the beginning of this console cycle a lot of games where released for both the Xbox/360 and PS2/PS3, like Gun and King Kong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
I bet Rockstar has dev kits of the next Xbox and PS. I bet all the major developers have them and they probably have been working on porting GTA V to them.

It wouldn't be a new thing, at the beginning of this console cycle a lot of games where released for both the Xbox/360 and PS2/PS3, like Gun and King Kong.
Instant flashback! Loved that game!  :metal

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

Instant flashback! Loved that game!  :metal
Fuck yes!!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

Valid.

I always said that if the new Xbox managed to secure GTAV as an exclusive launch title, the PS4 would have a really hard time catching up. I just hope whatever console gen GTAV is released on, it was developed independently on both systems. I played GTAIV on both consoles and I felt that it played way better on the xbox. It was designed on the 360 and ported to PS3, yes?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:30 PM »
I always said that if the new Xbox managed to secure GTAV as an exclusive launch title, the PS4 would have a really hard time catching up. I just hope whatever console gen GTAV is released on, it was developed independently on both systems. I played GTAIV on both consoles and I felt that it played way better on the xbox. It was designed on the 360 and ported to PS3, yes?
Yes, like most games on this generation.

I don't know if it's because of the year headstart, or the different architecture used, but games on this generation generally run better and are designed on the 360.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
Yes, like most games on this generation.

That was my biggest complaint with the PS3. The games made for it were amazing (LBP, Killzone2+3, Gran Turismo 5), but any that were released on both systems seemed to lack polish.

I don't know if it's because of the year headstart, or the different architecture used, but games on this generation generally run better and are designed on the 360.

To my understanding, that was because the PS3 had more cores in its processor than the xbox. It made it harder for devs to develop.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

Actually, I suspect they already have developers working on GTA VI for the next gen consoles.

Fin

True, but that's a problem I've had in the GTA series for a long time. Eventually, everything becomes a "go here and kill this guy", "drive here and do this", or "go steal this car and don't damage it". How they fix that, I'm not really sure. Maybe Skyrim, RDR, and GTA need to have some sort of love child. I would really like to see more intelligent gameplay. Not on the side the AI, but on the side of the user. I want missions where I actually need to pause and assess what the situation is. I want to have to think my way through stuff, not just shoot a million guys or drive really fast. I want my correct decisions to be rewarded while my incorrect ones make the game a real bitch.
San Andreas had a very diverse mission set. It also had a story that was interesting with various goals that led you to different places. IV was simply go shoot these guys, lose the cops, go bowling with fucking Brucie's dumb ass. Rinse, lather repeat.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »

Actually, I suspect they already have developers working on GTA VI for the next gen consoles.

Fin

San Andreas had a very diverse mission set. It also had a story that was interesting with various goals that led you to different places. IV was simply go shoot these guys, lose the cops, go bowling with fucking Brucie's dumb ass. Rinse, lather repeat.

I'll give you that. The story line didn't feel a forced or linear. I think one of the things that Skyrim did (and I'm sure others, but I don't play many games of that type) was the choice of what you wanted to be doing. I would start quests for one guy, and then next thing I know, three weeks go by of me doing stuff for other people. I really like being able to start on one path and then have the ability to sidetrack indefinitely if I really want to. I doubt a GTA game will ever be like that, but a man can dream.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
I stopped playing San Andreas around 10 minutes into it, I can't stand this gangsta rap shit vibe.
I didn't play 4 cause I deeply lost interest in GTA after San Andreas.
After Red Dead Redemption I am pretty sure I will never ever play a better open world game so I haven't really been following news on GTA V.
We'll see how it looks like after they release some game play footage.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
I stopped playing San Andreas around 10 minutes into it, I can't stand this gangsta rap shit vibe.
I didn't play 4 cause I deeply lost interest in GTA after San Andreas.
After Red Dead Redemption I am pretty sure I will never ever play a better open world game so I haven't really been following news on GTA V.
We'll see how it looks like after they release some game play footage.

Yeah, I didn't finish SA either.

Red Dead Redemption is easily my favorite game this generation. Not as long or as big as Skyrim, but something about being in the old west was awesome. It was the first game that I played that put me in that environment. Hog tying the prostitutes, throwing them on a horse, and then leaving them on the train tracks was so much fun. I was pissed off at the end of the game, but I let it slide. After Jack dies, three years go by and you take over as his son. First complaint, his sun was a pussy. Second complaint, that really advanced town (the one with brick building and paved streets) was no more finished than it was three years prior. Third complaint, I never got to drive a steam car. I'm really hoping for a sequel on next gen. I'd be shocked if there wasn't. Oh, and another thing that pissed me off... you couldn't take control of the train! The fuck.

Back to GTAV. In the event some of you haven't visited this site, it is really good with keeping up to date with everything GTAV related.

https://www.gtav.net/

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
No way! San Andreas is the best PS game I've ever played in my life! (also the first, so I might actually be just a little biased :p)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
No way! San Andreas is the best PS game I've ever played in my life! (also the first, so I might actually be just a little biased :p)

I feel like it was too much for the PS2 to handle. It was a great effort, but if Rockstar scaled it back just a little bit, I think it would have been much more awesome.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
It was my first sandbox game on the PS2 and man did i play that game to no end! Best sandbox game ever!!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
I'm probably a little biased. I bet I spent more time playing GTAIII than Vice City and San Andreas combined. My friends spent hours on end putting in the wanted cheat to get six stars, and then with a stop watch would see who could survive the longest.