Author Topic: The internet is a godsend for introverts  (Read 4782 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
The internet is a godsend for introverts
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:51 PM »
Socially Awkward Penguin

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
Re: The internet is a godsend for introverts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
I already  :heart this thread :D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
I used to be very introverted. Now I can be social although still shy sometimes. I'd say that while it is a godsend for introverts, it also helps them (us) learn how to better interact with others and communicate properly and annoy admins.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »
Same here.  I care less now.  I suppose the don't-give-a-shit part of becoming comfortable with yourself allows you to be more extroverted.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
I used to be very introverted.

Same here, when I was in High School especially. Now I'm of the most charming and outgoing people you'll ever meet.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
Actually, shyness and introversion are not the same thing even though they might overlap in a lot of people. I'm an introvert but I'm not really shy at all.
But the internet can be good for both types of people  :police:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
Good point. I used to be very shy AND introverted. Shyness is mostly gone, introversion is still very much there but has more of a "switch" that I can turn on and off.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
SAP pretty much describes exactly how I was 4 years ago or so
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Well I'd describe myself as much more introverted than shy

but whatever, I'm in high school and am supposed be emo and all that bullshit.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
I am a 100% introvert but I don't look at the Internet this way... I have actually improved socially _a lot_ the past year, but the internet never had anything to do with it. I see it as a place of a different kind of discussion rather than learning how to communicate, and unfortunately in some things I like discussing I'm limited to the internet (most of all, talking about music I love in detail).

Though one thing I like very much is the ability to sit back and think about my response without pressure. I've always been a slow thinker and when there's a dynamic conversation IRL I feel like I'm 50% dumber because I can't think properly about what I want to say. No such problems here, I can spend an hour on a post if I wish :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm an introvert at least 60/40 up to 70/30. Thank god for the internet.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
Almost painful to realize how true this is at times...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 08:30:52 PM »
 :rollin
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Liberation

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
I knew exactly how this penguin feels at school.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

I'm not an introvert (just extremely shy to people I don't know very well), but that exact thought pops into my mind when I need to partner up with someone, especially in a class of people I've never met. It's terrifying.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
Absolutely^^

I hate when that happens in class
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Almost painful to realize how true this is at times...

guilty :biggrin:

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
I'm no good at socially interacting with my peers, really; if I talk, I WILL make an ass of myself, mainly by making lame-ass jokes that aren't controversial enough. When I am controversial, it's because I got angry, got caught in some issue I'm passionate about, tried to make a controverical joke, or ranted without thinking, causing me to end up offending women/drug addicts/the urban poor.   :facepalm:

So, I mainly am non-interactive with the normals.  I leave them alone to their business, and they see no reason to bother me.  It works out pretty well, I suppose.  I will do "small talk" or whatever, if I have to, and act civilly and respectful to my peers; it's mainly that anything beyond acquaintanceship really won't work, reallly. 

The only people I really interact with much are my few close friends.  I'm just glad I'm not in some of their situations (some of them have Aspergers, hence the REALLY have trouble socially interacting).  So, at any rate, I'm not particularity good, socially, amongst my peers, but I am thankful to at least have what I've got.  (My dumbass grandfather says I may have Aspergers to an extent, but I don't believe it; if I did, I'd of been sent to a doctor or something about that many many years ago.  I've never been sent to a psychiatrist, and don't believe that they'd find any development issues, if I did go to one.)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
I'm an introvert who is extremely shy.....

anyone buy that?  :lol

seriously though one of the personality tests revealed that I have some introvert parts in me... which explains why I am extremely sensitive to evil people and cannot cope....

MBTI is the best personality test I've come across for those who are interested;

Here's my results: I am an ENFP, which translates to:

With Extraverted Intuitive personality types, words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from them. Words are their best friends. They dance around ideas, the more, the merrier. Imaginative, spontaneous, original and enthusiastic, they have a knack for seeing other possibilities, other dreams and options. The world is never as it is but as it could be, as if it were but an artists sketch begging for colour. They initiate change and often are prone to trespassing a few known boundaries to take themselves and others where no one has been before. The status quo tends to lack inspiration.

When inspired, they are fearless and tireless. Their energy will know no limits unless red tape takes over. Routine drags them down. Their faith in possibilities and belief in the benefit of change often inspire others to follow. They are challenging, ingenious and innovative. They will give their best to what appears to be an impossible challenge, a place unknown to man or beast.

They use metaphors, stories, images and analogies to make their point.They love theories and often shape their own. They see patterns emerging. Keen improvisers, they are rarely caught off guard, there is always something up their sleeve. The sky is the only limit.

They are sometimes entertainers, artists or otherwise engaged in public demonstrations that allow their ideas to bloom. Their greatest difficulty is not in initiating projects but in choosing among so many possibilities, setting realistic boundaries, establishing priorities and correctly assessing resources.

this couldn't be more true....
it hardly ever says anything bad about anyone... it just reveals who you are... and kind of steers you to the right career choices... I wish I'd taken this before I started to work at public organisations....

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 02:20:13 AM »
Introvert ≠ Shy or otherwise socially out of touch. I think what you will find is that because introverts occupy themselves and prefer to be alone, it naturally fosters an underdeveloped set of social skills if no conscious effort is made.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 04:54:11 AM »
Actually, shyness and introversion are not the same thing even though they might overlap in a lot of people. I'm an introvert but I'm not really shy at all.
But the internet can be good for both types of people  :police:

Hey Jackie, I think me chasing after you in the dark streets of New York City at night is proof that I am over my introversion.  Agree?   :biggrin:

Offline jsem

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:05 AM »
INTP here.

FTW.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 05:54:33 AM »

Yep, that nailed it. Even happens with some people that I know as more than acquaintances, but not quite as close friends.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
I'm an INTJ, so I tend to get easily annoyed during a social event (Holidays with the family are fucking unbearable). However, I've learned to really overcome the shyness aspect, and I tend to either be normal or completely over the edge when interacting with new people. I'll act normal if I want the person to continue talking to me, or I'll go bonkers if I want them to go away (though that can sometimes backfire).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
I've never figured out whether I'm partly introverted or partly shy.  I know I'm not fully either, because I actually enjoy showing off sometimes.  I'll jump on a chance to play music for people, or just speak about something I think I know about.  In school, I liked reading out loud from the book because I was good at it.

But in a group, I'm the one who never says anything.  I'm much better letting the others decide what needs to be done, and I'll help.  I'm a much better follower than I am a leader, though I don't know how that enters into the mix either.  At parties, I'm fine just hanging out on the couch, listening to the tunes and watching people be idiots.  It can be quite entertaining.

The great thing about message boards is that you can edit what you're saying as much as you want, or just delete the whole damned thing if it's not working out, and no one knows.  Discussions consist of (mostly) thought-out contributions.  That doesn't happen in real life.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 12:27:29 PM »
seriously though one of the personality tests revealed that I have some introvert parts in me...

Yeah, I have some introvert parts in me too, but I'm always willing to whip them out and show everyone!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »
seriously though one of the personality tests revealed that I have some introvert parts in me...

Yeah, I have some introvert parts in me too, but I'm always willing to whip them out and show everyone!
I have to learn how to do it too....

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »

Sometimes, I have parts of me inside an introvert.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 02:05:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

Sometimes, I have parts of me inside an introvert.

Do you taste good with some fava beans and a nice--

Oh wait.  You were making a sex joke, not a cannibalism joke.  My mistake.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
I've never figured out whether I'm partly introverted or partly shy.  I know I'm not fully either, because I actually enjoy showing off sometimes.  I'll jump on a chance to play music for people, or just speak about something I think I know about.  In school, I liked reading out loud from the book because I was good at it.

At parties, I'm fine just hanging out on the couch, listening to the tunes and watching people be idiots.  It can be quite entertaining.

Dude. You just nailed my EXACT personality. Whoa.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
Oh yeah, I am an INTJ. Just like UMH, actually. But older and less metal as fuck.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
And 50% less masturbation.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: