Author Topic: The Arena Thread: Molecular Inheritance  (Read 8460 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Arena Thread: New album out now!
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »
Sadly, I will probably go digital for now on this one when I can find it. The physical prices are just like nothing I have ever seen before for a release. I think Friday is the official release so I plan on hunting down a digital download then.

It is the same price as any digipack over here (for the CD), which is 20 euros (which is less than 20 dollars these days). Maybe this is because it isn't manufactured in the US that there is no cheaper option for you? And shipping costs have risen starkly due to inflation (which has been really noticeable for me lately).

Edit: I see I was wrong, the only options I see are in pounds, so indeed a bit more expensive. But the UK has been hit hard with inflation as well, which could be the reason. Unfortunately prices are going up everywhere.

Average prices in the US are anywhere from $10 to $16 for a single disc and up to $20 for doubles.

Amazon wants $44 for the single and $113 for the deluxe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Laser CD wants $24 for the single, plus shipping puts it closer to $27 to $30 depending on type, and $60 for the deluxe plus shipping.

I think the issue is that Verglas is Arena's own label and not sure that they have distribution with others so the prices here in the US are ridiculous. I think if they would partner with Inside Out or something like that for distribution things might be better, but that's just a guess.

I'll probably be able to get the digital for $10-$12.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:59:13 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Arena Thread: Molecular Inheritance
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2022, 11:06:46 AM »
I don't think Verglas have any proper distribution, it's a all done by the band.
Incidentally Amazon UK were selling the vinyl cheaper than Verglas were selling them to for, the bands merch guy told as at the gig.
Best way is to buy direct from the band, then you know they are getting all the money.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2022, 12:18:01 PM »
Normally, I would, but buying just the single disc from the band is minimum $30 US with shipping. I just can't justify that for a single disc right now. Maybe later, but I just can't drop that kind of coin for a single disc. I paid on average $18-$20 a piece for all of their other albums and I thought that was kind of crazy. This is just insane.

If the deluxe were $30, I probably would have done that. But at the price it is at now, the extra disc and earbook don't justify the markup. I realize they are self-funded, but I just can't get on board with that.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2022, 05:57:46 AM »
Why has nowhere got lengths? WE'RE PROG FANS WE NEED LENGTHS! We NEEEEED to know which song is to be the Great Epic of Our Time!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »
Has anyone been able to find a digital version of the record? It's not available in any of the stream platforms and the band only offers cds and vinyls in their website. I want to get my hands on this but I have no use for the physical media since I no longer have a cd player.  :sad:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2022, 04:54:04 PM »
Has anyone been able to find a digital version of the record? It's not available in any of the stream platforms and the band only offers cds and vinyls in their website. I want to get my hands on this but I have no use for the physical media since I no longer have a cd player.  :sad:

Sadly, no. Due to the high cost of physical I planned on digital but no one has it. I check every so often hoping it will show up sometime.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »
I will just be listening to it on Spotify and hoping the CD price drops in the future.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
JFC... it's 2022, not 2002.  Why a band makes it so difficult for fans to listen to their music baffles me.  Speaking to Stones did this with their release earlier this year - took months to get out on any digital platform.  I'd totally lost interest by the time it came out.  I have a feeling the same is gonna happen with this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2022, 04:06:12 AM »
I will just be listening to it on Spotify and hoping the CD price drops in the future.

Good luck with that.

All bands should be educated in basic transparency in this day and age. You're not going to promote your album if you don't have it on the main way people listen to music nowadays.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »
It is very dumb to not have it on streaming services quickly. A slightly earlier date for physical (preorders) can work, but have it like a week or so, not whatever they are doing now. And if you do what they are doing, then at least have the album readily available for close to normal prices.

Either way, it is an excellent album well worth anyones time when it arrives. I unofficially listened to it on youtube a couple of times. I will buy the vinyl, but would greatly appreciate it for them to put onto the streaming platforms.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »
I just met Damian while queueing for the show. Very friendly guy  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2022, 08:42:24 PM »
I just met Damian while queueing for the show. Very friendly guy  :smiley:

Oh nice. Did you ask him what planet we need to be on to hear the new album, as it doesn’t seem too widely available on Earth?  :biggrin:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2022, 10:54:42 PM »
Readily available from Amazon or direct from the band.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2022, 07:19:56 AM »

Not without paying an arm or leg though, having exact same problem with shipping costs another 150% in shipping to get just one CD posted.

Still not on Spotify YT or Bandcamp here to even listen to let alone purchase in digital format which would normally be my fallback too  :-[

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2022, 08:32:31 AM »
I understand some artists not wanting to use streaming services, but to not even make the album available for digital download is bonkers.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2022, 09:39:34 AM »
As stated, there is no good option for those of us in the US (and Canada, I believe). The price of the physical versions are heart attack inducing. I wouldn't pay what I would have to for any artist in terms of a single disc.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »
There'll definitely be some people taking to the high seas for this one now. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2022, 10:33:41 AM »

Not without paying an arm or leg though, having exact same problem with shipping costs another 150% in shipping to get just one CD posted.

Still not on Spotify YT or Bandcamp here to even listen to let alone purchase in digital format which would normally be my fallback too  :-[

Again I am repeating myself, buy direct from the band, shipping to Australia is 7.80UKP, CD is 20UKP.
Yes it's expensive but I really don't mind as the money directly supporting the band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2022, 10:35:51 AM »
As stated, there is no good option for those of us in the US (and Canada, I believe). The price of the physical versions are heart attack inducing. I wouldn't pay what I would have to for any artist in terms of a single disc.

I live in Australia, so I am used to paying through the nose for everything.
I think it's that you folks (USA) are used to paying less than the rest of the world does for CD's  :biggrin:

Offline WardySI

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2022, 04:32:15 PM »
Yeah look I understand that and while once you add a little GST at checkout end to get it here is over $50, am also happy to pay that when it's something I know I want add to the collection (CD and vinyl all the way).  Absolutely agree too we Down Under have been paying through our arses for our music like forever.  Hell the big companies have even admitted to it...

Anyway, for some maybe but $50+ isn't always spare change for me so when I can, do like to be sure of what I'm spending on  ;)

That's not to say this won't be a CD buy, do love Wilson on voice etc so it may eventually be once a second single drops or something and hear more and 'know' it's worth the extra (insert the digital download purchase or benefits of streaming arguments here), or maybe happen upon some spare cash but I do understand the frustration.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 04:49:20 PM by WardySI »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
I get it, $50 is a lot to drop for a CD and I don't do it for many artists.
The bands drummer did say it would be on streaming platforms from 21 OCT, I think the band do everything themselves, so maybe just an oversight.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for the new album to hit the streaming services  :lol
From someone who works for the band;
'It may eventually arrive there but unfortunately it seems some people might like to get paid more than a bag of penny sweets for their hard work in the mean time'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2022, 05:32:02 AM »
Don't hold your breath waiting for the new album to hit the streaming services  :lol
From someone who works for the band;
'It may eventually arrive there but unfortunately it seems some people might like to get paid more than a bag of penny sweets for their hard work in the mean time'

Well... cut off your nose to spite your face.  100% of nothing is still nothing.  Artists with this kind of attitude actually makes me less interested in them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2022, 08:02:47 AM »
Well, I don't buy albums I did not listen to beforehand digitally. Music is too accessible and there is too much competition out there for this attitude to work. Furthermore, if this is your approach, then make sure the album has distributors and people can actually buy the album.

This album was uploaded to youtube a while back and I clicked on it, I was sold. But if that did not happen there was no way I would buy it.

Incredibly dumb move in my opinion, as this album is a fresh start for the band and an excellent one at that, squandered by this amateurish behaviour.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2022, 01:38:28 PM »
They've blown cold since Pepper's Ghost anyway so I'm not really missing out. Extraordinarily elitist behavior. Fucking boomers...

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2022, 02:10:16 AM »
Hardly elitist, good on 'em I say for putting a high value on their music and not giving it away for next to nothing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2022, 04:42:12 AM »
Hardly elitist, good on 'em I say for putting a high value on their music and not giving it away for next to nothing.

I get the sentiment. And they are fuly entitled to handling their music how they want it. But I am convinced this will affect them more negatively than positively, especially with how they handled distribution. It is the market in this day and age.

This could've been a top of year release for me. But as is I have no convenient way to listen to it. None of the services I use have the album, not even paid for seperately. And vinyl is my physical medium, but it is not like I can use that while travelling for work. I can buy two brand new albums for the same price, that likely even include CD's. And even if it did include the CD. Then I have to rip it and download a (ad-ridden) music player specifically for this album as everything else is on a collected ecosystem of streaming services these days. Ironically the whole reason I am buying the vinyl is because the album was briefly on youtube.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2022, 05:23:33 AM »
Yeah I don't think elitist is the right word, and I understand them not wanting the album on streaming services I suppose, it's just not very good business sense. Especially not even making the album available for download from the start.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2022, 08:04:11 AM »
Yeah I don't think elitist is the right word, and I understand them not wanting the album on streaming services I suppose, it's just not very good business sense. Especially not even making the album available for download from the start.

But then why not Bandcamp at least?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
Heads up, this has finally starting popping up in download stores in the States. It's on Amazon but is a little funky to get to the purchase option. iTunes has it as well now. Not seeing an uncompressed option anywhere but at least we can get it for $10 now.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:03:42 PM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2023, 10:38:27 PM »
Finally gave up on a physical or uncompressed option and bought the mp3 from Amazon.

Man, on the first track and Damian just takes these guys to another level. This has the chance to be a top album of last year, just wish they would learn how to properly distribute their stuff outside of England/Europe. This thing is sounding amazing so far.