Author Topic: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres  (Read 26363 times)

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
Re: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
Boston!!!!  The only shame is that we only got five albums from them (six if you include RTZ... which I do just because for me, Delp = Boston), although I've never had a listen to Corporate America.  Scholz could write and play some really awesome riffs.

Collective Soul S/T is probably the only songs I really know from them.  Good tracks.

Union isn't my favorite Yes, but any Yes is good Yes.  Go fix yourself and listen to Close to the Edge.   ;)

Yes I know.  I'm a bad prog rock guy for not getting into it.  I've listened to most of it.  I just never gave it a chance.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline jsem

« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
CttE is massively overrated imo.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
I don't know about over-rated.  I wouldn't call it God's gift to prog, but it's pretty damn excellent.

Also, just did a little listen to Corporate America.  Not bad.  The usual Boston musical sound.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »
CttE is massively overrated imo.

It's a great prog classic but I would take Supper's Ready over it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
Third Stage is a great album.  :tup Think I'll spin that one now!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Boston is great. Loved Delp's voice and Scholz did great things with their sound and his playing.

Offline Durg

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:43 AM »
26.  Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011)

Well.  I have to put this album somewhere and I didn't even have a write up for it.  I've refrained from adding newly discovered music to my rankings until I can determine lasting influences and enjoyment from the album (Thrice,Beggars is one that should be added but is too new to my ears).  But I already know that I like this album more than Octavarium and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.  In fact I'm enjoying this album more than all the other albums ranked below 26 so here is where it will be placed (for now).

Favorite Songs:  On the Backs of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, Breaking all Illusions, Beneath the Surface
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Durg

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
25.  Huey Lewis & the News - Sports (1983)

All through out my high school days I was a Huey Lewis fanatic.  I had all their albums, saw them in concert, had all my friends listening to them.  I guess you could say that high school was my Huey Lewis era.  Sure I listened to a bunch of other stuff but Huey Lewis was my main identity and Sports started it all.  Strangely enough my favorite Huey Lewis and The News song is not on this favorite album.  That song, "Do You Believe In Love" is on the previous album that really wasn't all that great.  But this album has great songs from start to finish and brings back all kinds of memories for me.

Favorite Songs:  Heart of Rock & Roll, Heart and Soul, Bad is Bad, I Want a New Drug, If This is It, You Crack Me Up

Offline Durg

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
Just when you think things can't get any weirder with Huey Lewis & the News........

24.  Nickel Creek - Why Should the Fire Die? (2005)

Although, I mentioned that I didn't listen to very much new music in the 2000's this is one of the few that I did listen to.  I had not yet figured out how to discover new music through the internet, iTunes, or Napster and I was really too busy to do it anyway since I was working full time and going to school at night for my master's degree.  I believe I had heard of Nickel Creek on an award show and thought I should check it out.  Eventually someone gave me a Borders Book Store (RIP) gift card for a gift and saw this album in the new releases stand and just bought it without knowing anything about it.  For the next couple of years I went on a little bluegrass trip were I was listening to all bluegrass and fingerstyle guitar players like Don Ross.  During that time this album was pretty much always playing in my headphones at work.

The first track "When In Rome" immediately grabs you as something that is very different than you've ever heard.  The heavy percussive acoustic guitar strumming, the interesting vocal harmonies, the strange fiddle counter melody and the lyrics grab you right away.  There are moments of flat out clever bluegrass jamming like in "Scotch & Chocolate" and "Stumptown" then there is the atmospheric, echoey, and creepy "First And Last Waltz".  "Can't Complain" is the one to avoid here.  It drags on and is really whiny.  "Eveline" is brilliant with so many crazy vocal harmonies and is one that you can not miss when checking this album out.  The rest of the tracks are just really clever and excellent.

They label Nickel Creek "Progressive Bluegrass".  But there are no odd time signatures or 20 minute epics.  I think that label is just because it's bluegrass that isn't based on Christian lyrics or hymns and the musicians aren't twangy and old.  This is not your father's bluegrass.  It's moody, catchy and maybe a bit irreverent for the music to fit nicely into the bluegrass genre.  Yes there's a fiddle, banjo, mandolin and a fast playing guitar at times but that's pretty much where the similarities end.  If you think bluegrass is kind of stupid or old maybe you should check this out.  You might just find yourself wanting more.  I know I did.

Favorite Songs: When In Rome, Tomorrow is a Long Time, Eveline, Doubting Thomas
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:34:28 AM by Durg »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:56 AM »
ADTOE is a fantastic album for sure.  If I had to rank my Top 50 right now, it would be there.  Not sure about Top 50 of all time - 7 weeks of listens cannot determine that (for me).  Hard to know/say whether it will stand the test of time.  Most likely it will.

Nothing weird (at least for those of us who grew up in the 80s) about HL&N... great pop/soft rock album.  I had that on vinyl.  He was an MTV machine too.  Great videos.  Now, if Hall & Oates shows up on your list... that would be weird.

Think I'll have to investigate Nickel Creek.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Durg

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
ADTOE is a fantastic album for sure.  If I had to rank my Top 50 right now, it would be there.  Not sure about Top 50 of all time - 7 weeks of listens cannot determine that (for me).  Hard to know/say whether it will stand the test of time.  Most likely it will.

Nothing weird (at least for those of us who grew up in the 80s) about HL&N... great pop/soft rock album.  I had that on vinyl.  He was an MTV machine too.  Great videos.  Now, if Hall & Oates shows up on your list... that would be weird.

Think I'll have to investigate Nickel Creek.

I like Hall & Oates but I only have a few songs by them an not an entire album.  So, no, they will not be in my top 50 list.  :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »
Love to see some more DT!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »
Insert obligatory American Psycho joke here.

Offline Durg

« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:18 AM »
Insert obligatory American Psycho joke here.

That was Fore not Sports.   :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »
Huey sure writes some catchy tunes.

Of course I love the new DT.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Durg

« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »
I think today will yield more discussion then a 80's pop and a bluegrass album.   :lol

23.  Jars of Clay - If I Left the Zoo (1999)

This is the second Jars of Clay album to make it into the countdown (yeah, I like Jars of Clay :tup) and a slightly similar one to Much Afraid, however slightly better as well.  Since their acoustic atmospheric beginnings of their first self titled album, their sound has grown to a more catchy rock sound and this album really captures the mixture of zaniness with the more somber moods so well.  I've seen these guys in concert 3 times now and they're not only are great musicians, they put on a great show.  They don't get to in your face about their faith but they do write some thoughtful songs that tend to play on words or use symbolic metaphors.  If I Left the Zoo seems to just feel more relaxed than Much Afraid yet pull of the same heady music fans have always enjoyed. 

Favorite Songs: Goodbye Good Night, Unforgetful You, Collide, Sad Clown, Grace

Offline Durg

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »
22. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (2007)

Now that I've spent almost 2 1/2 years obsessing over Dream Theater's discography.  I realized that is the one that I enjoy cranking up in the car the most.  This DT album has gotten so much criticism for being too heavy and pretentious.  But I love it.  "The Dark Eternal Night" is just a really great, fun song.  "Constant Motion" is another fun metal song.  Then you have the "Wish You Were Here" like progressive bookends of In the Presence of Enemies part I and II.  The gorgeous and melodic "The Ministry of Lost Souls" and my favorite vocal workout "Forsaken".  Is it my favorite DT album?  <wink> You'll just have to wait and see.

Favorite Songs: In the Presence of Enemies, The Dark Eternal Night, The Ministry of Lost Souls
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:24:00 AM by Durg »

Offline Durg

« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
21.  Opeth - Damnation (2003)

I really credit Mike Portnoy for getting me into Opeth.  I knew what black and death metal was and thought the whole genre was really really stupid or disturbing but wasn't really sure which one.  When I mentioned that I was listening to all genres of music with my Napster subscription in 2009 I went down this genre path and decided that this music really creeping me out.  I read about Mayhem and all that weird black metal stuff they were doing in Norway in the early 90's.  I watched some documentary interviewing the vocalist to Gorgoroth and just really felt very uncomfortable with it especially with my Christian beliefs.  I didn't want any part of it and as a singer I didn't see any value in the screaming or growling vocals.

However, one night I was being obsessive about Dream Theater and watching YouTube videos of interviews with the band and what not and heard Mike talk about Opeth.  I did a search on you tube and clicked on "Porcelain Heart", I believe.  The song really hypnotized me.  The music had a creepy but beautiful quality that made me want more. 

So I learned all about them.  I sampled their recent albums and their older ones until I found this one.  I actually was avoiding this one just because of the title (Damnation sounds to "evil"  :xbones).  However, I actually read Opeth's entire Biography on their Web site (there's a lot there) and learned through that that this is a soft rock album.  So I had to give it a try because I was interested in the no cookie monster album.  It was so much easier for me to digest than the others and I think it was so brilliant of Opeth to do this album.  No death growls or even heavy tuned down guitars.  Just great song writing musicianship.

I'm not going to say that I'm a 100% death metal fan yet and I really can't get into everything Opeth does.  But I listen to this album so much these days and I'm so glad I found it.

Favorite Songs: Windowpane, In My Time of Need, Death Whispered a Lullaby, To Rid The Disease

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
SC is my least fave DT album by far. But it does contain some great songs.

Awesome to see Damnation! Great album, it would probably make my top 50 too :D

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »
Love Damnation, the only Opeth cd I like all the way through simply because I just don't like RORORO vocals.

Systematic Chaos is great too, I think it gets too much flak, it's no where near as horrible as BCSL.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
Hard to say where I'd put SC.  Bottom half for sure - but in saying that (as I did with BCSL), it still rates higher than a lot of my catalogue.  However, I see how it came at a time when you were just discovering DT, so I can completely respect how/why it rates so high for you.  Wait 'til you see some of my Top 50!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
I'll just say that it appears we have very different opinions on DT Durg ;)

But I enjoy the 80s nostalgia

Offline Durg

« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I'll just say that it appears we have very different opinions on DT Durg ;)

But I enjoy the 80s nostalgia

I'm pretty sure my opinions on music differs from most on this board.  But I love the way everyone is still open to it and respectful about it.   :tup   It's fun to make this list even though I don't think many are reading it.

My catalog is just very limited compared to so many that do these lists.  I have a huge catalog of Christian/Gospel/Southern Gospel CDs.  About 5-10 years ago this list would have been mostly Christian music and classic rock.  Of course I didn't know about DT 10 years ago either.  My exposure to new music with the Internet has opened new doors for me and this list has been in major flux.  Not that I don't like the Christian music any more.  I do.  It's just that I'm in a different place musically right now.  A lot of that has to do with Dream Theater.  So, obviously, I'm pretty high on almost all their albums.

Just so you know.   There's only 2 more 80's albums left in my list.  It appears I've unintentionally ranked a ton of 90's albums toward the top (teaser).  I hope you keep checking back though.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2011, 03:14:26 AM »
I too love Systematic Chaos. ITPOE is a fantastic epic, amd I really love Constant Motion even though it gets so much stick. For some reason though I've never really been able to get into Opeth, even though I love death metal vocals. Haven't listened to Damnation though, should give it a try!

Offline Durg

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
20. Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)

Although I never actually owned this album.  I've heard every song on it many times.  Most of the songs were mega hits that are still played today.  They ushered in the British Metal invasion that so many others tried to imitate.  Unfortunately, they never really made an album as good.  Hysteria was good and it was a triumphant come back for so much tragedy.  But Pyromania was cutting edge awesome.  The drums are amazing, the vocals are addictive, the riffs are creative, and each song just sticks in your head.  The impact of this album on the rock world may never be matched.

Favorite Songs: Rock Rock ('til you drop), Photograph, Too Late For Love, Foolin', Rock of Ages

Offline Durg

« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »
19.  Kings X - Faith Hope Love (1990)

Crunching heavy guitar riffs?  check!
Vocal harmonies galore? check!
Soulful lead singer? check!
Christian lyrical subtleties? check!

Why these guys have struggled through the years just baffles me.  They're incredible.  I guess the thing that has hurt them the most is that they tried to walk the line between being a "Christian" rock band and a "Secular" rock band.  When you do that you tend to lose people on both sides of the equation.  I didn't mind back then and I don't mind now.  So Dug Pinnick is gay.  So they maybe smoke weed and drink.  So what.  The music in Faith Hope Love was nothing I had ever heard before and it hugely influenced my love for heavy music with harmonies.  These guys, and this album, really influences a lot of current day musicians and they should get credit for it.  There are flaws in this album.  It's not perfect but it's been a constant in my rotation for 20 years. 

But Faith Hope Love gets this ranking due to the the fact that it introduced something new into the music world.  After getting hooked on this I always crave something like this type of music and that is why discovering Dream Theater has been so great for me.  Because it satisfies a craving that was originally quenched with Kings X.

Favorite Songs: We Are Finding Who We Are, It's Love, Moanjam, We Were Born To Be Loved, Legal Kill

Offline Durg

« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:19 AM »
18.  tobyMac - Portable Sounds (2007)

I'm not a big fan of rap music and hip hop.  But the young people love it.  I have a 12 year old son and a 16 year old exchange student that hears rap and hip/hop from their friends and the radio.  Some of it's OK but most of it is pretty annoying to me.  I actually like the Korean rap better than English because I'm not supposed to understand what their saying  :-\.   Anyway, my son asked for this album for his birthday and since it was tobyMac, I knew that I might like it. 

So, this album is a mixed bag of rock, hip hop, dance and some undeniable lyrics.  tobyMac, who was one of the driving forces in the hugely successful rap/hip hop/rock group DC Talk, has had a fine solo career since DC Talk ended.  In this album almost every track has been a hit on Christian radio stations.    There's the driving rock of "Boomin'" and "Ignition" that I love, mixed with dance hits like "One World" and "Made to Love".  Some rock mixed with rap and filled with hope and love.  There's humor were he and Mandisa (former American Idol finalist) cut up.   Plus, a track where his son raps "old school".  Songs full of hope and wisdom that all lead to the last track with guest appearance from gospel great Kirk Franklin.  It sort of sums it all up in a gospel/rap/R&B single that took the Christian music industry by storm.

If you can handle Neal Morse and you like this type of music you can handle tobyMac.

Favorite Songs:  One World, Made to Love, Boomin', I'm For You, Feelin' So Fly, Loose My Soul

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:48 AM »
Pyromania is a fantastic album... tons of catchy riffs as you mentioned.

Don't know the other two, but have heard Kings X referenced many times on this board.  Will check this one out.

Offline Durg

« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2011, 07:08:48 AM »
Don't know the other two, but have heard Kings X referenced many times on this board.  Will check this one out.

Start with "Its Love".

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »
19.  Kings X - Faith Hope Love (1990)

Crunching heavy guitar riffs?  check!
Vocal harmonies galore? check!
Soulful lead singer? check!
Christian lyrical subtleties? check!

Why these guys have struggled through the years just baffles me.  They're incredible.  I guess the thing that has hurt them the most is that they tried to walk the line between being a "Christian" rock band and a "Secular" rock band.  When you do that you tend to lose people on both sides of the equation.  I didn't mind back then and I don't mind now.  So Dug Pinnick is gay.  So they maybe smoke weed and drink.  So what.  The music in Faith Hope Love was nothing I had ever heard before and it hugely influenced my love for heavy music with harmonies.  These guys, and this album, really influences a lot of current day musicians and they should get credit for it.  There are flaws in this album.  It's not perfect but it's been a constant in my rotation for 20 years. 

But Faith Hope Love gets this ranking due to the the fact that it introduced something new into the music world.  After getting hooked on this I always crave something like this type of music and that is why discovering Dream Theater has been so great for me.  Because it satisfies a craving that was originally quenched with Kings X.

Favorite Songs: We Are Finding Who We Are, It's Love, Moanjam, We Were Born To Be Loved, Legal Kill

Absolutlely love this album

Moanjam/Mr. Wilson and It's Love are highlights for me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Durg

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2011, 07:18:52 AM »

Start with "Its Love".

Also, check out "Out of the Silent Planet" (the track not the album) from the previous Kings X album, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
Big fan of Kings X.  Saw them so many times.  They still rock like they did in the late 80's/early 90's.

Toby Mac.  Saw him live on TV.  Like when he's musical but not the rap stuff.  I absolutly love Jesus Freak by DC Talk.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
SC has never been one of one of my favorites by DT. Damnation, however, is amazing. 80s love, no matter what it is, is always cool with me.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
Just want to add that Pyromania is one of the more iconic album covers of all time IMO.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
Just want to add that Pyromania is one of the more iconic album covers of all time IMO.

I should have said something about it too.  It was there last organic sounding album in a long, long time.  Even the album cuts like Too Late was played on the radio.