Author Topic: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres  (Read 26317 times)

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:54 AM »
PRELUDE

I think the point of life other than family and faith is to discover music.  Everything else sort of revolves around that.  Not work!  Work is just a means for discovering music.  We all have various musical tastes.  Certain events, friends, and our faith (or lack of faith) in our lives and the music that are associated with those things shape our musical tastes.  If one were to be able to go back in time and pull out the albums that have been responsible for shaping one's musical tastes it would include strong emotions, significant events, the breaking of new musical boundaries, or possibly just comfort music that is symbolic to something important in their life.   

I've been singing, tenor, in church almost constantly for 30 years either as a soloist, a quartet, a choir, or a praise/rock band.  I took piano lessons regularly as a boy.  I played trumpet regularly for 12 years strait from Jr. High all the way through my undergraduate degree.  I've also been trying to play the guitar, although not trying extremely hard, for the last 15 years on and off.  These things along with friends, radio, and self discovery have shaped my musical tastes.

I noticed as I was going through this list that so much of the strong emotions that are attached to an album for me personally come from the 80's and 90's.  I would venture to guess that the music people listen to in their high school and college ages are the ones that invoke the most emotion in a person.  I can't believe how little "new" music I've listened to in the 2000's.  The music of the last 10 years that are listed here are really recent discoveries (within the last few years).  I'm sure this is because of the fact that I was more focused on raising a son and being a husband than searching for music.  I also spent a few years in there working on a master's degree at night while working full time.  Whatever the reason, the recent discovery of Dream Theater and similar bands has been awaking the musical discoveries that I sort of skipped while life happened.

I'm sure this list will change as I discover new music.  I discover new bands almost daily, especially here on these top 50 albums lists, and it's hard to include newer bands in this list since I haven't really had a chance to evaluate the lasting impact of their music on my musical journey.  So for now we're going to get a lot of 80's and 90's music.  Some pop rock, some metal, some gospel, some progressive rock, a little bluegrass, and some other strange choices.  I hope you find it entertaining to look into my musical history and learn about who I am.

So here it goes. 

50.  Billy Joel - Glass Houses (1980)

Wow!  I really have to dig deep into the memory banks to remember the first time I listened to this album.  I'm pretty sure "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" was playing on the radio and even my Mom liked that song.  I remember one of my classmates in the 6th grade had a portable 8 track player (yes they did make them) and we were able to listen to this album during recess.  I can't remember if I bought this tape or if my sister bought it because we used to listen to it all the time driving to school.

This album was chock full of great hits and music.  Many of the tracks had a more edgy guitar rock feel that previous ballady singer/songwriter releases.  But that was what me and my friends were into in the 6th grade.  "You May Be Right" and "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" are still played on the radio today and where the biggest hits.  However, "Don't Ask Me Why" was a pretty big hit at the time.  I don't really know why it doesn't get played much on 80's stations these days.  One of my personal favorites was "Sometimes a Fantasy" because of it's rockin' sound.  I was forming my musical tastes back then and it always seemed to gravitate toward the heavier tracks.

Favorite Songs: You May Be Right, Sometimes A Fantasy, Don't Ask Me Why, It's Still Rock N Roll To Me, Through the Long Night
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Durg's Top 50 Albums Spanning Decades and Genres
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:21 AM »
The art of album covers!!  Never mind hearing, "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" but seeing that cover was an automatic buy in my youth. Billy sure was a songsmith.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Durg

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:20 AM »
49.  Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (2008)

I have a nephew that is as passionate about music as I am.  He has a degree in music and plays in a Christan rock band up in New York state (Cry of the Scapegoat if you're interested).  Anyway, on a visit to our house he played me a sample of Fleet Foxes after hearing about them on NPR and I didn't get it at all.  They sounded to me like old people in a southern church (I only paid attention to the beginning of the 1st track).  About a year later he insisted that I give it another try and I listened all the way through.  That's when I realized that I had incorrectly judged them.  The lead singer's vocals are unique and catchy.  The harmonies are really good and the folk sounds of the accompaniment make you feel like you're a hermit living in the wilderness.  Very few bands can make you feel like you are in a certain type of weather or location, for example Opeth just makes you feel like your in the dark of wintertime, but Fleet Foxes makes you feel like you're standing on the side of some mountain cliff on a clear day with the smell of pine wafting through the air.

Favorite Songs: White Winter Hymnal, Ragged Wood, Blue Ridge Mountains, Oliver James
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:51:41 AM »
It was seeing Fleet Foxes on SNL that lead me to buying the first album.  I tell all my friends they are the Beach Boys of this generation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Durg

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:34:23 AM »
It was seeing Fleet Foxes on SNL that lead me to buying the first album.  I tell all my friends they are the Beach Boys of this generation.

I never would have thought of them as a modern day Beach Boys but they do focus on vocal harmonies like the Beach Boys so I can see how you could say that. 

Last one for the day.  I could cut and paste all 50 and be done in an hour but I'd like some people to read it so I'll quit here for a day. 

48.  James LaBrie - Static Impulse (2010)

I only discovered Dream Theater 20 years or so after they've been making music and was saddened to read about how James LaBrie blew out his vocal chords in the mid 90's.  When I listen to Images & Words, Awake, and Change of Seasons I hear an amazing singer.  But when I listen to live performances and Dream Theater's stuff from the last 15 years, I realize that his voice will never be the same as it was in the early 90's.  But it's still really great.  So I've sampled his solo albums and even that opera metal thing (what the heck was that?).  But I only liked a few songs on those records.  However, this one is outstanding.  The screams and growls kind of rubbed me the wrong way when I first listened to it.  However, it doesn't detract from the main melodies.  The music, though, is really fantastic.  The lyrics are pretty good and of course LaBrie is great.  I really enjoy this very heavy melodic metal album.  It's really unfortunate that this album doesn't get the recognition it deserves and as I sometimes frequent the hard rock station in my town I wonder why "I Need You" wouldn't be any worse than the stuff they play on there.  In my personal opinion "I Need You" is the strongest track on this CD.  This is an extremely hard CD and has only 1 softer song in Coming Home and some token soft keyboard beginnings in other songs.

Peter Wildoer the drummer on this album also gets a shout out because I think he's great.  Yes, that's mostly because of his well publicized audition for Dream Theater.  I'm not a big fan of his screams here but his drumming is outstanding.

Favorite Songs: Jekyll or Hyde, Mislead, I Need You, I Tried, Coming Home

Three more coming tomorrow.......

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
Following... and liking it so far.  Glass Houses invokes some wonderful memories/feelings - I would've been 9/10 when that was getting all the radio airtime it did.  Don't have Static Impulse .. one of the few side projects of JLB that I don't have (yes, I even have True Symphonic Rockestra.  Gonna have to give this a listen.

And yes, pace yourself.  Part of the appeal in these lists is the anticipation and discussion.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
Following. I haven't listened to the first 2 albums posted but I'll make sure to give them a spin.

As for Static Impulse, it's a good album but not great. The lyrics are outright cringe worthy in some parts (I'm looking at you Euphoric) which is a shame because there is some great music on the album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
At this point, I'd probably put Static Impulse in the top 50 as well. :tup
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Durg

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
Today's 3 submissions are oldies.  Don't think that's a reflection of the rest of the rankings because there are more modern albums higher up in the rankings.  So tune to your classic rock station and walk down memory lane with me.

47. Styx - Pieces of Eight (1978)

Why Peter Jackson didn't call Dennis DeYoung about the soundtrack for his Lord of the Rings Trilogy we'll never know.  Perhaps he just never was able to forgive him for Kilroy Was Here.  Regardless, this album by Styx is probably not the most popular choice among Styx aficionados but it has always been my favorite with Paradise Theater a very close second. 

Styx really was popular all through the 80's and me and my friends spent many hours listening to them on our portable cassette players.  So much of my musical discovery in the 80's came from listening to other people's music on church trips and school trips.  It's been a long time but I think I first heard this album while on a trip with the high school tennis team.  Or maybe it was a band trip.  It doesn't really matter.  It was probably 5 or 6 years after this album was released.  I actually think it was shortly after Kilroy Was Here was released.  Anyway, I just know that the cheesy lyrics about Lord of the Rings or that a Queen of Spades "will get you" really stuck with me.  I've spent a lot of time listening to this tape way more than the other Styx albums.

Tommy Shaw's presence on this record from his lead vocals to his excellent riffs are undeniable.  He's also one of the best at harmonizing with the very high tenor.  This album just has a sort of fantasy feel to it with "The Message", "Lords of the Ring", "Queen of Spades", "Pieces of Eight", and "Aku-Aku".  But then there are the radio pop rock songs that lead to many buying this record like "Blue Collar Man" and "Renegade".  But one thing is consistent through the whole thing, lots of great harmonizing and great music.  The nostalgia index with this album is off the charts.

It's is really strange how music triggers memories, though, and for some reason I always think about mowing my parents 1 acre lot on the lawn tractor when I hear this music.  This must have been my mowing music back then.

Favorite Songs: Great White Hope, Blue Collar Man, Renegade, Pieces of Eight

Offline Durg

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:15:56 AM »
46.  U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)

So many people associate a certain type of music or album to important events in their life.  For The Joshua Tree it was my high school graduation.  An X girlfriend's older sister gave me (sounds strange doesn't it) this cassette tape for a graduation gift.  I'd heard of U2 before. The song "Pride" is a good song but I really hadn't paid much attention.  The "cool" people in my school were all into U2.  However, I never allowed myself to get into them.  That night, graduation night, I put that tape into the cassette player of my car and cranked it up.  From the very beginning of "Where the Streets Have No Name" to "Mothers of the Disappeared". I was mesmerized. 

Yes it's popish.  Yes, Bono isn't that great of a singer.  Yes The Edge doesn't do anything particularly amazing (and has a pretty dumb name).  However, the band as a whole just makes great songs and the songs have really not gotten old all these years later.

There have been other memories as well.  Water skiing with my buddies with this album blasting across the lake.  Hearing it blasting from a dorm down the hall at college.  But that graduation night will always be a strong U2 memory for me.

Favorite Songs: Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, In God's Country

Offline Durg

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:32 AM »
45.  The Police - Synchronicity (1983)

This is an album that I never owned but I didn't need to.  Almost every song on the album was a hit and got frequent radio play.  Plus I listened to it often at my friends house all the time.  However, the songs have not aged and are still played all the time on the radio except for the weird ones like "Mother".  This is truly one of the great albums of my generation.  Plus Synchronicity II is one of the best Police songs evah!

Notice that I didn't include "Every Breath You Take" in my list of favorite songs off the album.  There's no denying that the song was a mega hit in the 80's and stayed at #1 for what seemed like years.  It was WAY overplayed and that is a shame since it is a pretty cool song.  But that song and this album moved The Police from a trendy college band to a mega arena force.  And Sting has gone on to have a stellar solo career that I don't think would have been nearly as successful were it not for Synchronicity.

Favorite Songs: Synchronicity I,  Synchronicity II, King of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Murder By Numbers

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »
Haven't listened to Styx but that U2 album is fantastic and Synchronicity is wonderful as well. "King Of Pain" and "Murder By Numbers" are two of my favorite songs of all time.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 07:14:15 AM »
Great choices with The Police and U2...

Offline Durg

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
Haven't listened to Styx but that U2 album is fantastic and Synchronicity is wonderful as well. "King Of Pain" and "Murder By Numbers" are two of my favorite songs of all time.

Styx is too cheesy for most people.  But I can't deny I listened to this album a ton when I was younger.  Plus Renegade and Blue Collar Man are always in frequent rotation on the classic rock stations.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:23 AM »
I won't deny that from what the little I've heard of Styx they are pretty cheesy but I'll do what I do with all these top 50 lists and check out all the albums I hadn't heard before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
 :tup :tup on today's installment.  Three heavyweights in the Classic Rock division.  You're bang on with all of your comments - especially about Every Breath... radio overkill that one had.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
Great to see some Classic Rock in these lists for a change, maybe I'll get recognise a handful of them :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »
Amen to all 3 picks Durg!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 09:34:28 AM »
Amen to all 3 picks Durg!!!

Those 3 are great albums. Specially Synchronicity. Aside from Miss Gradenko and Mother, all the other songs are fabulous.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
Great to see some Classic Rock in these lists for a change, maybe I'll get recognise a handful of them :tup

I hear ya.  While interesting to follow some of the recent lists, gotta say I was completely in the dark about a lot of those bands/music.  Guess that's what ya get for being an 'old fuck' (in relative terms).

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
The Joshua Tree is a good album. I like the pop sensibilities, Bono's voice, and The Edge's guitar playing a lot.  :tup

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Following too. I must admit I'm more a fan of newer music than that from the 80s and earlier, but there are still many gems from those eras that I appreciate too. Not a big U2 fan though  ;)

Offline Durg

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
Following too. I must admit I'm more a fan of newer music than that from the 80s and earlier, but there are still many gems from those eras that I appreciate too. Not a big U2 fan though  ;)

Fair enough.  There will be some newer music higher up in the rankings.  Or.....   Maybe even tomorrow......

Anyway we need younger people to post on this thread so it doesn't turn into another "Old as Mold" thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
My ears were burning......

Offline Durg

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
Anyway we need younger people to post on this thread so it doesn't turn into another "Old as Mold" thread.

Says who!  Kids these days... don't they know there actually was some pretty good music released in years starting with a one and a nine.   ;)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
I'm 19 and love 80s music. I can name about 10 bands I'm a huge fan of off the top of my head that were popular/originated in the 80s. Not all of us youngsters are ignorant to pre-2000 music. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
I'm 19 and love 80s music. I can name about 10 bands I'm a huge fan of off the top of my head that were popular/originated in the 80s. Not all of us youngsters are ignorant to pre-2000 music. :P

You know I've trown a few 80's bands your way.  Here's another  Ultravox.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Adding to the mold here

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »

No need to be cruel now!  Least you coulda done was point him somewhere constructive like Animotion or Icicle Works.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »

No need to be cruel now!  Least you coulda done was point him somewhere constructive like Animotion or Icicle Works.

Icecle Work.  That's a great pick.  I kind of got the stye Ravenheart is going for.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Great to see some Classic Rock in these lists for a change
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Just wanted to say I hate the Joshua Tree/U2 and I  can't understand their appeal at all.  :P

That said, some interesting picks so far... Glass Houses is one of Joel's best albums and Pieces of Eight is great too. I still haven't heard the Police album, but it's on my list of things to check out.  :tup

Offline Durg

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »
44. Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever (2001)

I'm probably going to refer to the fact that I only discovered Dream Theater in 2009 many times because that was a seismic event in my little world of music.  I not only obsessed over DT for a year, I bought a bunch of the side projects that they were a part of.  Transatlantic was a little obsession for me as well.  Having Portnoy on drums was enough to cause me to buy the this album.  But getting to know who Neal Morse is was a major bonus.  That opened the door to discovering even more music.  Then to add another progressive album to my very small progressive CD collection was another bonus as well.  So I have really enjoyed this album so much since I bought it and despite a few spots in the first and last tracks I love every moment of it. 

Favorite Songs: All four of them  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:49:26 AM by Durg »

Offline Durg

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »
43. Mastodon - Crack the Skye (2009)

This is actually one of the heaviest album I own.  In fact, I know I'm going to sound old here, but, by the 6th song I get a headache.  However, it's still one of the new albums that I've discovered since my Dream Theater discovery that I keep going back to.  The vocals are so interesting and different.  Harsh at times.  Strange tone in others.  But I like the way three different members of the band have a go at the vocals and harmonize.  The heavy guitars, the odd lyrical themes, the interesting vocals, and the progressive nature of this album make it really unique.

I really bought this album on a whim based on its critical acclaim.  People were raving about it and I had listened to Oblivion on Napster.  I felt like I needed something really heavy in my collection and Crack the Skye fit that perfectly.  I love the vocal harmonies they use through out and the haunting track the Czar is one of my favorites.  It provides just enough "break" in the heaviness to help you make it through to the end.  Another thing they did with this album that is just so impressive is that they capture a mood at the beginning and that mood stays with you through the whole thing.  For me that mood is a foreboding, uneasy feeling that very much matches the creepiness of the album art. 

Now, the album art is also something that attracted me to listen to it in the first place because it is so Russian looking.  Having been to Russia a couple times and adopted a son from there I was very much interested in hearing the story with Rasputin and The Czar and what that was all about.  However, after listening to this thing hundreds of times, I still don't really understand what it's all about.   :\

Favorite Songs: Oblivion, Divinations, The Czar
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:26:29 AM by Durg »