Author Topic: Pearl Jam Thread  (Read 4034 times)

Offline njdtfan

Pearl Jam Thread
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »
I don't know how many Pearl Jam fans are around DTF, but if you are you must watch the documentary PJ-20 by Cameron Crow. Even if you are not a PJ fan, the documentary is extremely well done and tells about the band from the beginning. It was just shown on TV on PBS here in the East coast USA so west coast peeps in the USA may be able to catch it in a bit. The DVD, soundtrack and book come out On the 24th.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Pearl Jam -20
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
I love the first album, thought the second was okay, and by the third they'd lost me, but I still consider Pearl Jam a great band.  I can play Ten over and over again.  I just saw a commercial for 20 today.  I'd never heard of it.  I'll definitely check it out.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
I'd actually like to see this.  I read a biography of them that went through the early part of their career, and it was very interesting.

BTW - I think Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy are all really good records.  After that, I tend to enjoy just isolated songs, though I haven't heard their latest releases at all.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »
I couldn't get into Vitalogy.  I tried.  "Last Exit" doesn't grab me the way I feel like it should, and I just don't like "Spin the Black Circle".  It's almost like punk or thrash or something.  What the heck happened to the chill, introspective sound of the first album?  The first album is heavy, but it's also somehow laid-back.  By the third album, it's like a different band emerged.  Although to be fair, that first impression really turned me off, and I haven't even tried since then.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
What the heck happened to the chill, introspective sound of the first album?
Tracks like "Immortality," "Tremor Christ," and "Nothingman" are nothing if not chill and introspective.  Maybe you should have another listen.  Try "Immortality" first.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »
Tracks like "Immortality," "Tremor Christ," and "Nothingman" are nothing if not chill and introspective.  Maybe you should have another listen.  Try "Immortality" first.

I agree. Somber without forcing the issue, strong at all the right moments, a gem in the PJ canon.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:16:15 AM »
I just DVR'd it.  Can't wait to see it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »

I agree. Somber without forcing the issue, strong at all the right moments, a gem in the PJ canon.
Oh wow infinite love for this right here. I remember I used to love PJ to bits, and Nothingman and Immortality were some of my favorite songs.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 07:49:16 AM »
Okay, I'm convinced.  Gotta dig out the CD.  And since my car CD player is munged, I have to rip the CD and load it to my iPod to listen to it.  Will report back later.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »
I was (guess I still am to an extent) HUGE PJ fan. Ten is up there in my top 10 albums ever. I was at the PJ Unplugged show at MTV and it was just incredible. One of the best shows I have ever seen. I was fortunate enough to see them about 20 times in the 90's. I recently saw them a few years ago and will say they put on a great show.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
My cousin got the remastered 10.  It sound awesome.  I still need to get a hold of the second version of Evenflow that they recorded with Dave Abbruzzese.  The one they used for the video.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
I've always tried to find the version they play on the radio, which is also different from the album version.  The solo is different, and at the end of the song, Eddie says something, but it's all distorted and I can never understand what he's saying.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
Yeah, the rerecorded it.  It has more balls and I loved the drumming by Abbruzzese.  Eddie also sound more aggressive on the song too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
I totally forgot it was out this weekend and missed it.  I will definitely get it next weekend, one of my all time fav bands.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 04:48:05 AM »
Just watched half of it so far and I like it a lot but I don't like how they push aside how 3 drummers left.  I wanted to know the reasons.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
I know why.  The first choked on vomit (not sure whose vomit), the second was killed in a freak gardening accident, and the third just spontaneously combusted, leaving a little green globule on his drum stool.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
I see what you did there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
I didn't know Jeff Porcaro played for Pearl Jam!   :biggrin:

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Just watched half of it so far and I like it a lot but I don't like how they push aside how 3 drummers left.  I wanted to know the reasons.

The reasons are in the PJ Twenty book - Krusen left to sort out his alcoholism, Chamberlain didn't connect with the band personally and suggested Abbruzzese and Dave A was fired for murky reasons to do with him not getting along with Eddie and accidentally breaking Eddie's guitar. 

their slow burners are always there - songs like Lowlight, There he goes, Come Back, All or none, Light years - those songs are all highlights on their respective albums.  Also, PJ albums traditionally end on ballads (and I include Immortality in this, cos I routinely don't listen to hey foxy mophandle ... ) Best way to survey the slower stuff is the 2nd disc of the rearviewmirror compilation ... or -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8y3kneqrs

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
I you want a good doc you've got to have those answers in the film to say it's true.  Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
My two favourite PJ albums are :

Vitalogy

&

No Code.

I lost interest around Binaural but I still listen to their latest albums out of interest.

Self Titled was ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
No Code has always been my favourite.  What an album!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
After Yield they had a few bombs but the last 2 albums have been great.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Pearl Jam Thread
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
 I noticed Pearl Jam was mentioned on a lot of other threads, but we don´t have one specific for them. Since their new album is about to be released, I thought about creating one.

Anyway, here´s the new song they released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qQXP6TDtW0w

I´ve seen them twice already, once in Perth and another in Rio. I know they have little or nothing in common with Dream Theater, but if I can love both bands, so can you!

Offline dparrott

Re: Pearl Jam Thread
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
I've liked them, not *loved* them, since Ten.  Glad to see they're still going strong.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline krieger

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Amazing, amazing, band. One of the greatest rock band ever.  :tup

I expect a great album coming... in fact IMHO they never made a album that is not, at least, good. My favorites are the first three, Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy, and the last two, Pearl Jam and Backspacer.
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
I love the first album, thought the second was okay, and by the third they'd lost me, but I still consider Pearl Jam a great band.  I can play Ten over and over again.  I just saw a commercial for 20 today.  I'd never heard of it.  I'll definitely check it out.

Same here, except they lost me after Ten.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
Still an unbelievable live band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2022, 03:03:18 PM »
Just watched The Daily Doug do Pearl Jam's Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4m5x9lp_6g

This is an AMAZING song!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2022, 03:40:41 PM »
Mega-bump. Black is probably my favorite PJ track. Sadly, both times I saw them at Wrigley they played it on the nights I wasn't there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2022, 04:12:34 PM »
I always liked that "Black".

I also realize that I never did go back and revisit the second and third albums, or check out 20.  Oh well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »
I think Gigaton, their latest, is quite good. Probably my favourite Pearl Jam album (I like some of their songs but have never been an avid listener).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2022, 04:52:42 PM »

This is an AMAZING song!

You never heard it before?  One of the best songs of all time really.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2022, 04:57:28 PM »

This is an AMAZING song!

Yes, unbelievable song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 05:26:13 PM »

This is an AMAZING song!

YES I've heard it before! I actually had the first album in my past life.

I saw it in my youtube feed so I watched it. I love that song. Always have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol