Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 340504 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act III: LIFE AND DEATH
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
I loved "The Procession" and "The Lake And The River" from Act II, so I will check this one out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »
Please do.  Great album.

A few more listens and here's what I think happens in the part I'm hazy about:

For reasons I'm not entirely sure of, the father tells the Boy his story of how he met Ms. Terri, which is not an overly pleasant one.  She was a whore and he treats her like one, and of course the Boy is shocked and humiliated to hear the Father shamelessly telling how he treated the Boy's mother.  The Father then tells him of his fully legitimate son, who looks like the Boy except that he's rather successful and abundantly wealthy.  The Boy then plots to kill his brother, which he succeeds in doing, and then posing as his brother thenceforth.  That's as much as I got, but from the looks of it the album ends with the Boy donning his brother's fancy clothes and taking on a stolen life.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ScottOfRedemption

• Banned
  • peaCOCK
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
I've actually NEVER tried to follow this story, haha. maybe I should? Does it make the experience better?

To be honest I'm not one for lyrics, and I hardly notice them except when they're really bad or when they're really good
https://www.last.fm/music/The+Funeral+Drums/Chaos+on+the+Rise
My theory is that teh progerz is teh porgerz as thus it's a must the has to fuck shit up.
It feels kind of weird saying this out loud, but...Scott is exactly right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
Throughout my journey with TDH I've tried to keep the general plotline in mind, considering it's the entire point of the album series.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
Who? I never heard of these guys.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
Great band.  Not very well-known outside of emo/indie/prog circles (kind of a weird combination, no?), but a gem nonetheless.  Start with Act II, then get Act I and then Act III.  Though obviously if you're planning to do it in plot chronology order, going by release date works too.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »
here's wishing the band a speedy recovery as they didn't make it to the show tonight in St.Paul due to food poisoning.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »
Oh man, poor guys.  Well wishes to all of them.

Offline Ruesap

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
I can't stop listening to this album, and this sort of music doesn't usually click with me.  Favorite tracks are "The Tank", "Saved", and "Life and Death".

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »
My favorites are definitely What It Means to Be Alone, The Thief, Mustard Gas, Go Get Your Gun, and the last three tracks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2009, 07:09:14 AM »
I've been listening to this a lot as well. Great album all around. I don't think it's quite as good as Act II, but it's damn close. Mustard Gas is amazing.

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »
Wow, just got into this band, where have ive been ?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
I've been listening to this a lot as well. Great album all around. I don't think it's quite as good as Act II, but it's damn close. Mustard Gas is amazing.

Actually, I thought this album was better both plotwise and musically.  I almost feel like Act II was too much about Casey groaning about his real-life romantic troubles, but in Act III the Boy takes on a life of his own.  And the last three tracks are so beautiful together.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »

Actually, I thought this album was better both plotwise and musically.  I almost feel like Act II was too much about Casey groaning about his real-life romantic troubles, but in Act III the Boy takes on a life of his own.  And the last three tracks are so beautiful together.
Yeah, I can see that. Musically, Act II grabs me more for whatever reason.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
I've had Act I for a while and I really like it.  Sounds like I should probably check out Acts II and III.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2009, 07:05:58 AM »
When we dance
It looks just like fire

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
When we dance
It looks just like fire

Oh my God yes, I love that.  Whenever it comes on, my heart melts.

/emo-borderline effeminate praise

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2009, 05:59:28 AM »
so after reading the forums at www.lakeandtheriver.com I think I've found out what the fuck The Dear Hunter story line is.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »
Wow... Just the storyline of these first three albums would make a fucking epic movie.

III may very well be my favorite of the albums. My favorite songs are In Cauda Venenum, The Tank, Mustard Gas, He Said He Had A Story, and Life and Death.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:10:44 AM by Arcaeus »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »
I've been thinking a lot while listening to Act III that this would make an epic musical (whether on film or in a Broadway-type show).

I'm really on the fence about whether I like Act II or II better. Act II has a few songs that really grab me (Red Hands is one of the best songs ever), but Act III is just a beautiful piece of work throughout. They are both just so incredible in their own way. I really need to see TDH doing a headlining show!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:40:53 AM by lordxizor »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
I think they're headlining in the fall.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »
Well I got all three Acts on a whim, and Im going through them all while I wait for my next class. Right now im on...The River North from Act 1.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »
Casey wants to make it into an animated movie.

Someone suggested a 6 days, 6 acts thing live. I would think something more like 6 months, 6 acts or something closer to that would be feasible

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, girls! I ordered all 3 albums without having heard a note and I'm very pleasantly surprised!  :tup :tup

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2009, 08:06:21 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, girls! I ordered all 3 albums without having heard a note and I'm very pleasantly surprised!  :tup :tup

See, it's things like this that show how awesome this forum really is.

Back to the album, I had that amazing riff at the start of In Cauda Venenum in my head all day  :metal

Offline Ruesap

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »
Ahh...I listen to this whole album at least once a day...I have a feeling it's gonna get old soon.  But I don't want it to!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
From said forum:

Writing on a Wall
This song isn't part of actual continuity, but is like Battisimo in that it speaks from an elevated God-like position commenting down upon the events to come. Something along the lines of actors indirectly addressing the characters of a play by speaking to the audience. This is the opening exposition. Or The Boy could actually meet the Oracles hanging out on a boat or something. Apparently they are over trains(They are sooooo 57 minutes and 33 seconds ago.) and are into different forms of travel now.

In Cauda Venenum
War is hell. It is frantic, it is violent, it is chaotic. And all this isn't even the worst part. Deeper, more traumatic things are still to come. And amidst all this carnage The Boy has some sort of religious experience; he sees a specter or an angel. Some sort of other worldly entity. This figure could also be the ghost of Ms. Terri. Her presence there foreshadowing that he his going to learn something of importance pertaining to her. Either way, this triggers some very brief memories of the past that The Boy's mind jumps to.

What It Means To Be Alone
This starts with The Boy still reflecting back and dwelling on all that he has lost in his life. He doesn't think he really has anything or anyone in his life. Completely unloved and alone. That is one way he is alone. The other is that he is completely separated from the rest of his platoon and is constantly running and hiding to try to survive. Bombs are going off. Smoke and dead bodies everywhere. And during all this he is begging and pleading for God to keep him alive and to get him out of all this. Despite this, the horrors continue and it starts to seem that God isn't listening or just doesn't care. Now he is even more alone.

The Tank
This is where we start getting introduced to four characters that represent different aspects of war. I'm not certain what the aspects really represent, this is just me taking a stab at it. The Tank is, well, a tank. It is this faceless force of death and destruction that seemingly can't be stopped. Since it isn't human it doesn't have a heart and is numb to everything. It feels no remorse, and has no way of feeling accountable for it's actions. It shows how war can harden someone and eventually desensitize them to all the violence.

The Poison Woman
Next we meet a woman who lies and deceives soldiers by offering them drinks that are spiked with poison. She is misleading and manipulative. An encounter with this type of person would push them to become more paranoid of those around them. She dissolves trust and represents deception and paranoia. The Boy learns what is in her bottle and takes some of it with
him.

The Thief
Another character that deals with deception, but this one's focus is primarily on selfishness. The Thief robs soldiers of their belongings and valuables as they are either asleep or lying on the ground bleeding to death. A corpse robber who sees the war as a way for him to better himself. You could also go as far to say that he embodies war profiteering, as well. Another interpretation of this could be that The Thief is Death himself. A dark figure who only emerges from the shadows to take a soldier's life from them. What could be more valuable to someone than their life?

Mustard Gas
The Mustard Gas Brigade are a group of men who have been mutated by war. They have been completely warped by war and have become wicked and flat out sadistic. They no longer even seem human. They wear gas masks because it makes them look less like a person and more like a monster. The masks also give their victims something to look back on and feel forever haunted by them. The Boy is exposed to mustard gas and possibly other biological weapons during his encounter with them. It starts to burn his skin and sends him to the ground, writhing in pain. Screaming out at God the whole time.

Saved
The Boy slowly slips into this dream like state and is surrounded by bright lights. He then enters a state of denial to try to pretend that none of this had happened. Then he sees the ghostly figure again and starts to regain his focus and eventually is able to stand back up. He follows the apparition away from the gas and ends up coming across another soldier who rescues him. What is odd is how much this soldier and The Boy look alike. They are nearly identical.

He Said He Had a Story
The Boy finds himself with the young man who saved him and an older man who appears to be the soldier's father. Father tells a story about how he once visited The Dime and had an encounter with a prostitute. The Boy comes to the conclusion that the woman he was with was Ms. Terri, and the man before him is his father. After hearing how the Father treated Ms. Terri, The Boy gets an unsettling feeling in his stomach.

This Beautiful Life
After some time The Boy regains his strength and is able to walk around on his own again. He thinks to himself about how he wishes none of this had ever happened. How he should have never left his home by the lake. He would have lived a happier life never knowing the details of his mother's career, or meeting Ms. Leading, or coming to this place and meeting his evil bastard of a father. Now when he smiles it isn't a real smile. It is forced one, and he is only pretending to be happy. This numb feeling shows that The Boy has gained some of the traits of The Tank from earlier.

Go Get Your Gun
I almost want to say that this is an USO show, but that just doesn't seem to fit. This could also be another appearance by the Oracles. During this part The Boy starts to form a plan in his head. He grabs his gun and asks the Son to come along with him and they head away from all the other soldiers. By doing this he is betraying the trust of the Son, which is a skill he came to understand during his encounter with The Poison Woman.

Son
The Son is shot and killed by The Boy. Just like he saw The Thief do, he rummages through the pockets of the dead man and takes everything he needs. Most importantly, he takes his dog tags. He will leave his past behind and take up the identity of the Son.

Father
In order for his plan to work he only has to do one more thing: kill his Father. Using the vile he stole from The Poison Woman, he poisons the old man in his sleep. Now he will return home to a loving mother who will love him no matter what. Despite the fact that he may look slightly different, she won't doubt him. All of his actions have made him a monster. He is no longer the same human being. Just like Mustard Gas.

Life and Death
The Oracles bookend the album. They failed to prevent The Boy from taking this road in life. But not all is lost. The man he is now may not be the man he dies as. One day he will find love again.

It's good enough for me.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
The Poison Woman is amazing.

They never saw it coming... They never stood a chance

With the weight of the world on her shoulders, she don't want none of the sins as they unfurl in her palms, in her palms!

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »

I cannot tell you how many times I've done that.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline bmc

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
would it be alright if i started with Act III? ive heard some stuff on youtube and i like what i hear
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
The Poison Woman is amazing.

They never saw it coming... They never stood a chance

With the weight of the world on her shoulders, she don't want none of the sins as they unfurl in her palms, in her palms!

TAKE THIS BOOOOTTTLEEEEEEE

TAKE THIS BOOOOOTTTTLEEEE

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
would it be alright if i started with Act III? ive heard some stuff on youtube and i like what i hear

I started with Act II when it was only those two albums and I ended up liking it just fine.  You don't really need to ask anyone's permission anyway. :lol

But if you really want the story to make sense, I'd say at least start with Act II.  Also, Act III is very different musically from its predecessors, so even though you might like it, don't be surprised that there's a huge disparity between each of the acts musically (Act I and II sound different from each other, but they're much more similar than Act II and III).

Offline bmc

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:50 AM »
well i was pretty much wondering if Act III was a good place to start.  I listened to the whole thing and it is excellent.  I wasnt sure about it at first but it grew on me.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »
any of them work well as starters, but Act III is good in some ways, production-wise and as some call it their (Casey's) most *mature* work fwiw.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »
It's definitely my favorite out of the three. However that may be due to the fact that I can barely listen to either of the first two acts anymore because I've played them to DEATH.