Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352312 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Dear Hunter v "Antimai" (7/1/22)
« Reply #3815 on: July 07, 2022, 03:12:15 PM »
The more I listen to this album, the more I like it.
Yep. I'm digging it a lot. Not as outrageously great as Acts III to V or the Color Spectrum, but on the next tier down.

I do rather enjoy this funky side of their music. I loved the Migrations Annex, for example.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3816 on: July 07, 2022, 03:44:17 PM »
Ring 4 - Patrol is SO GOOD. Currently blowing my mind. It's so catchy and powerful. It's a great karaoke tune.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3817 on: July 07, 2022, 04:02:16 PM »
Ring 4 - Patrol is SO GOOD. Currently blowing my mind. It's so catchy and powerful. It's a great karaoke tune.
POWEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR

Rings 7 and 4 were early standouts for me and still my favourites. But 1-3 and the second half of 6 are also fab.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3818 on: July 08, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »
giving this another spin... agree that ring 7 is a jam but it's like the only one that stands out to me. the marimba casey found in a dumpster is so overused across this album it's unreal
i also dunno what he's really doing with the concept this time because it's like... 100% worldbuilding 0% actual story  :lol this is what i mean when i say there's no real emotional pull to this one it's just, outlining this really crappy city and how life sucks for everyone and then it ends with the villain song where the villain brags for six minutes and then it ends. what  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3819 on: July 08, 2022, 05:31:41 PM »
This album is hitting me like a freight train. I actually get emotional at parts, particularly in LoTown and Nature. It's so good. The villains are so brutal and raw. Loving the motional range of this album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3820 on: July 08, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »
the concept and approach to Antimai very well may be similar to Act I, or maybe closer, Epilogue from The River Empires in that Antimai could very well be like a Preamble or a map for the albums that will come.

An album could be writtten about each Ring conceivably.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3821 on: July 09, 2022, 12:41:02 AM »
I've been a big fan of the band for over a decade but I'll the the first to admit I have no idea what's going on storywise in the Acts or Antimai but it's cool that there's depth there for people to explore and sort of 'get more' out of it. I just like the music and that's fine for me. New album has been growing with each listen!  :hat

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3822 on: July 09, 2022, 06:14:55 AM »
I've been a big fan of the band for over a decade but I'll the the first to admit I have no idea what's going on storywise in the Acts or Antimai but it's cool that there's depth there for people to explore and sort of 'get more' out of it. I just like the music and that's fine for me. New album has been growing with each listen!  :hat
Same here. Huge fan since Act I and I couldn't care less about the plot of the Acts or Antimai. I'm not really a lyrics person in general. I can sing along to many songs, but don't really pay any attention to what the words actually mean.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3823 on: July 09, 2022, 09:52:52 AM »
Is the band's website the only place you can preorder the CD? Can't find it on Amazon.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #3824 on: July 12, 2022, 06:05:40 PM »
So trumpets in the album are becoming a highlight on the album. It keeps getting better and better with every listen.

As I started paying attention to the lyrics I'm getting the same feeling I got when I first listened to Act I: I want to hear more, and I'm also happy to deep dive this album much more.

Initialy Ring 3: Luxury was favorite, and one I kept coming back. It reminds me of Pink Floyd's Dogs at time, which fits the story quite well.  I still listen to it a lot still but Ring 4: Patrol stole my heart. The story, the motif from the short film, the vocal arrangements between the backgroun lower pitch bridge and Casey going "But we used to be weak..." - it's just incredibly tasty.

Casey's ability to tell a story musically and lyrically is unbelivable - very Neal Morse-esque in his own way. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3825 on: July 28, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
Their bus broke down on their way their show in San Francisco.

Rescheduled for August 31t.

https://www.facebook.com/TheChapelSF/posts/pfbid0GDBpnxiPzJrM13dAFsWf7xsLet4EUvdNYDk5PtnMDjKs6RuUnGw8UvRmkvDaZVFLl

PLEASE NOTE! Tonight's show with The Dear Hunter + The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die + Tanner Merritt of o'brother (Thursday, July 28) is being rescheduled to Wednesday, August 31. All original tickets will remain valid. If you are unable to attend on this new date and would like to request a refund via your point of purchase, the deadline to do so is noon on Thursday, August 4. We apologize for any inconvenience.
A message from the band: 
Dear everyone in San Francisco,
We have been looking forward to this forever. Finally putting this record out and getting it into your ears, and being able to start this tour in what has been one of the most loving and supportive cities for us… we felt overwhelming joy and anticipation.
This morning our bus broke down en route from Port Angeles after we had been assured a significant amount of preparation and repair had been administered. For the last several hours, we have been exhausting every option we could think of to try and find a way down to you to share this first night together. That search came up empty.
Unfortunately, this means we will be unable to perform in SF tonight. But, we have secured a makeup date for this show and will come to San Francisco on the 31st of August.
We understand how difficult it is to arrange a night out/babysitters/time from work/etc… and we don’t take these things lightly. I am so sorry to everyone for the wrench this throws in the gears of what was meant to be a beautiful night and doubly sorry to anyone who won’t be able to attend the makeup show. Please know we understand fully.
I hope we get a chance to see you and share this music with you. If you’re able to make it, let’s commiserate over the general nightmare of logistics, and escape for a few hours of music.
We love and appreciate you all. Thank you for your understanding and support.
 -Casey Crescenzo

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3826 on: September 19, 2022, 02:33:59 PM »
Anyone in UK/EU got Antimai CDs yet? Last I checked their store doesn't ship outside US

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3827 on: October 13, 2022, 09:46:48 PM »
Every few years I go through the entire discography and my favorites change again and again. This time it's a toss-up between Act III and Migrant as my favorite album.

And even then, usually on III "The Tank" is my favorite song but this time, the one-two punch of "The Thief" and "Mustard Gas" is kicking my butt. A lot of Act III really is just banger after banger after banger and I wish I had appreciated it more back when it came out in 2009. But I was a sophomore in college and music kind of took a backseat for a few years.

Gonna try and do IV and V back to back tomorrow.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #3828 on: October 14, 2022, 11:37:17 AM »
In classic TDH fashion this album gets better with every listen. I've been playing it a couple of times every week, and each time something new catches my ears. I wasn't too sure about how funky it was but the more I listen the more cinematic it gets. It's also better when heard after the EP and the short film on YT.

Antimai has a strong Act I vibe in that it's memorable on its own, and yet, I think it's only seeds of what's to come. The world it builds gets me excited about what's to come and I see tons of potential for another epic series of albums.

Also, I can't help but smile every time I hear the line "Life is a dream, and you're in mind". I almost feel like a quick 4th wall break from Casey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3829 on: October 17, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »
I need to listen to this again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3830 on: October 17, 2022, 06:56:50 PM »
I am loving this album the more I listen to it.

It's really cool how they bring back the Poverty coda in Luxury. It's a very fitting melody, do I also hear steel drums?

Ring 2: Nature is my favorite, but I enjoy them all. I think this a fantastic concept, and I like how the album is a top down view of the rings.

To me, it seems the rings rise with the tower in the middle being the highest point.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3831 on: January 11, 2023, 12:54:02 PM »
someone on fb mentioned in a comment how Casey recently on Reddit said, Sunya isn't necessarily expected this Spring or Summer, but 2024, due to the issues with releasing Vinyl and the long delays.

I can't find it, however there is a quote here about how they are working on it currently at least
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDearHunter/comments/zfphic/ama_but_please_dont_ask_me_about_merch_store_or/

TheShadowQuill
Considering the way Ring 1 ended - not sure if this is too spoilery - but are you going to top every song transition The Dear Hunter has ever done by making Antonia transition into the Sunya album? This is completely unfounded but I’ve been thinking about it for some reason

Casey Crescenzo
Wait patiently

nhvfx

HeyItsSnowing
·
Progress on Sunya update (is that the stuff you are currently recording)? Or just a peek of the lore you have written

Casey Crescenzo
We are working on sunya. I’m a bit unsure of what to do, to be sincere. It’s tough to be 6 years into an idea that you feel will never be realized.

BjornoPizza

Never be realized at all our fully realized I wonder. Because you’re working on the album right now. I’m thinking maybe it’s a show or movie project that you feel will never happen. I’m sure that’s hard as a creator.
How would you describe the vibe of Sunya compared to Antimai? Can we expect more "Untethered 'Space Funk" or are we in for something completely different?

Casey Crescenzo
Heavier and lighter

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3832 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:07 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDearHunter/comments/yhhqfj/antimai_orders/

"The album we were hoping to release in spring 2022 will now, most likely, be released in spring of 2023"

"good position to announce Act I and II live on vinyl by the end of November,"

I wonder he meant "release in spring 2023 will now, most likely be released in spring 2024."

"This all seemed like the best route to getting music to everyone asap, but the reality is that I have to rethink the way we are releasing our records. Moving forward, I don't think I will launch another presale. This means the entire schedule for The Dear Hunter is going to be heavily offset.

I have no intention of putting us down another path that results in people making veiled threats against the band, or accusing us of being anything other than victims of the same situation. We were hoping to get all of the Antimai items out within October, which would have put us in a good position to announce Act I and II live on vinyl by the end of November, which we would hope to have in hand by early spring.

Instead, we will wait until those records are in hand to announce. That will hopefully be spring. The album we were hoping to release in spring 2022 will now, most likely, be released in spring of 2023, and so on. This isn't a threat-this is just me leveling with you all about what solution I see to stop the inevitable production delay problem, and the way it trickles down. The only other option I see is to forgo physical products altogether."

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3833 on: February 04, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »
not new, but I stumbled on this on imdb

"Nemo in Slumberland" short film using tunes from Indigo.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qg-bMExBZEE

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3834 on: February 15, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
European Fans..tour this June/Summer?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3835 on: February 24, 2023, 12:02:49 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpBYRtVPF02/

The Dear Hunter: Act II: Pt II, coming soon, thanks to the incredible @gillyvor

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3836 on: February 27, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »
I feel a bit bad saying this, but wanted to gauge others' thoughts. Do you Casey seems like the type that would probably be best not looking at social media and interacting with fans that way on Reddit and the like? To me it almost always comes across like any answer is given through gritted teeth and frustration. And on top of that he's hinted at having major insecurities about pleasing his fans. I'm sure him engaging online doesn't help that, which could partly explain why he's so sparse there.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of gossiping too much about this kind of stuff about people I've never met, let alone know well, because it perpetuates some of the unhealthy parasocial problems created from this online stuff, but here I am asking anyway. I just hope he's doing all right.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3837 on: February 27, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »
Just seen they've announced a European tour and tickets are £17.60!!! That's so crazily cheap, and I don't fully understand how they are able to tour over here charging that little.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3838 on: February 27, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »
I feel a bit bad saying this, but wanted to gauge others' thoughts. Do you Casey seems like the type that would probably be best not looking at social media and interacting with fans that way on Reddit and the like? To me it almost always comes across like any answer is given through gritted teeth and frustration. And on top of that he's hinted at having major insecurities about pleasing his fans. I'm sure him engaging online doesn't help that, which could partly explain why he's so sparse there.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of gossiping too much about this kind of stuff about people I've never met, let alone know well, because it perpetuates some of the unhealthy parasocial problems created from this online stuff, but here I am asking anyway. I just hope he's doing all right.

he does seem to get frustrated repeatedly with the fans response. He got rid of Facebook many years ago, and some of that I think was dealing with unhappy fans.

I'm unsure, but he does have more experience with it now compared to many years back, that I would think he's kind of learned how to deal with it better. But he does those Reddie AMA still.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:24:03 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3839 on: February 27, 2023, 01:20:27 PM »
His Antimai AMA was really amazing. I don't want him to fully step away because that was great.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3840 on: March 04, 2023, 07:48:56 AM »
I definitely sensed a lot of frustration in his whole "spring 2024" rant. TDH needs to be signed to a major prog label, get proper distribution and so forth.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3841 on: March 23, 2023, 02:53:25 PM »
new Podcast "All Things Dear Hunter" podcast
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7HGiV0HNVp5cTxAuIiiAMh

3 hour chat with Casey talking Act 6, Antimai, Sunya, etc

Sunya will have a song that goes from Def Leppard to Weather Report

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3843 on: June 12, 2023, 10:56:18 AM »
Migrant 10th Anniversary Fall Tour which includes St.Paul on 10/25

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3844 on: June 12, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »
Awesome, I'll try to make it to the St Paul show. Haven't seen these guys live in a long time.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3845 on: August 22, 2023, 01:38:06 PM »
for those who want Vinyl or physical items:

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter

Act I Live [VINYL] (including a version with a lyric sheet)
Antimai [Cassette]
Antimai Vinyl (repressed)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3846 on: August 22, 2023, 01:52:00 PM »
for those who want Vinyl or physical items:

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/collections/the-dear-hunter

Act I Live [VINYL] (including a version with a lyric sheet)
Antimai [Cassette]
Antimai Vinyl (repressed)

Man, I really need to get that Act I Live vinyl, that performance was so good and really helped me appreciate the album more.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3847 on: August 22, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
They released Antimai on cassette but not CD? Maybe they'll get around to that sooner or later, I've heard the band has had a very hard time with producing physical copies in the past year or so. I can wait however long it'll take, but I'd love to have Antimai on CD.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3848 on: August 22, 2023, 03:57:05 PM »
Antimai did get released last year on CD.

I own a copy per I showed it and the Vinyl I bought on YouTube.

It may be out of print now, but I would monitor ebay, amazon marketplace, discogs, etc for it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:46:14 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3849 on: September 04, 2023, 05:48:10 PM »

"Migrant Returned" October 6, 2023

https://www.amazon.com/Migrant-Returned-Dear-Hunter/dp/B0CDHF6F6T
https://elusivedisc.com/the-dear-hunter-migrant-returned-2lp/

LP1
An Escape
Girl
Let Go
Kiss of Life
Sweet Naiveté
Whisper
Shame