Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352466 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise (new info linked on last pg 83)
« Reply #3010 on: January 26, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
Only the UK? I want to see TDH live  :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Dear Hunter - Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise (new info linked on last pg 83)
« Reply #3011 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:58 AM »
They are a fun live band. Saw them in Atlanta in October, they just bring a good atmosphere to the show. Still think Misplaced Devotion was the best thing I've ever seen live.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3012 on: January 26, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Yeah I've seen some fun live videos on the youtubes, on top of that, it's one of the rare bands I like that I can actually get some of my friends to go to as well.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3013 on: January 26, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
Exactly. I know how you feel. Nobody wanted to go see BTBAM with me :lol

Hell I've only been to two concerts, I need to work on that. I've missed several opportunities in the last several years to see Dream Theater, Steven Wilson, Coheed and Cambria, Roger Waters, Radiohead, etc. in Atlanta. I only live an hour south so it's not a bad drive at all. I guess I just don't really like going to concerts myself, even if I'm there to listen to music, not chat. It just makes it fun to go with a group of friends, but I'm always the black sheep when it comes to music tastes in my group of friends :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3014 on: January 26, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Yeah me too mostly, I mean, I like the music of most of my friends, but more kinda as background music while hanging out. I have one friend who listens to most of the music I do, but isn't too much into the prog side of it, only DT and Haken. I remember there was a thread not too long ago about going to concerts alone, I really don't dig that, have to be with at least one other person to fully enjoy it.

I'd be happy to go to BTBAM with you if you come to The Netherlands sometime  :metal

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3015 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:04 AM »
Damn, I didn't realize you weren't from the USA :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3016 on: January 26, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »
My English is just that good  :millahhhh

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3017 on: January 26, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
I am proud.

Ok, so I wasn't really around at the time when there was a full on discussion of The Color Spectrum. Wow, though, it's quite an awesome experience. It's so neat because I don't really have a favorite color, I just like whatever my mood reflects. Sometimes it's Blue if I'm in a relaxed, chill mood. Sometimes it's Red if I'm feeling in a fun, adventurous mood.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3018 on: January 26, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »
Color Spectrum is one of those albums where I don't mind the length, it's never tiring. But my favorites are black and red so usually if I want to keep it short I listen to those - in fact, this motivated me to give it another listen, has been a while, I usually just liten to Act 4.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3019 on: January 26, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
Purple is the best them.  :millahhhh

I love that sound and the very mystical nature and almost ephemeral atmosphere of the album. So gorgeous.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I'm finally getting to see The Dear Hunter live for the first time on Monday. I'm actually going with my Dad as I lent him Act IV and he LOVES it. Thought he might like it but not as much as he does (he loves 70's prog as that's what he grew up on). Will actually be the first time I've been to a gig with him, am thankful to TDH for that as it's not often me and my Dad have music in common that we both LOVE (other than The Beatles and Led Zeppelin).

Will report back after the gig  ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
That's awesome!

I kinda have the same thing going with my brother, we used to go to the same concerts when we were younger, sometimes with our dad and sometimes with some friends but our musical tastes have gone their separate ways and we haven't been to concerts together in years. Now finally we're going to Protest the Hero together  :biggrin:

Have fun man, I know I'm dying to see TDH live (sadly they're only touring UK and US (or maybe I've missed the other EU dates)), so make it last!

Offline twosuitsluke

Cheers dude. Yea I'm really looking forward to it, kind of interested to see what kind of a set they play. I'm not sure my favourite songs are what are considered as "fan favourites" but I know I'm likely to love the majority of what they play. Going to sing my goddamn heart out!!!

Offline twosuitsluke

Interested to know, is it kind of general consensus with most people here that Act IV is their masterpiece? Now we've all got perspective on it, how does it stand up against their other albums?

I'd rank them accordingly:

1. Act IV
2. The Colour Spectrum
3. Migrant (It's grown on me a LOT)
4. Act I
5. Act II
6. Act III

To be fair though positions 3-6 are pretty interchangeable and are very closely ranked. I just love Act IV and am a bit obsessed, it's just THAT good.

Also, going to see them tonight  ;D hope they play my favourites from The Colour Spectrum
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:31:44 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I'd probably rank them all:

1. The Color Spectrum
2. Act II
3. Act IV
--
4. Act I
5. Act III
6. Migrant

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
1. Act II
2. Act III
3. Act IV

4. Color Spectrum
5. Migrant
6. Act I

My rankings of the #1-3 switch around really often, they're really close.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I'm not that familiar with all of their stuff, but I'm sure Act IV is my favorite. Second might be Migrant. The older Acts I'm not a huge fan of, but their good. And Color Spectrum has some great stuff, but also a fair amount of tracks I just didn't care for.

Offline Xanthul

I'm on a huge Act III bing lately, I find it more consistent than Act II (which is the comparable one when it comes to length and style) and II drags at some points.

Act IV is pretty amazing indeed though I'm reluctant to rank it, still haven't listened to it as much as I would've liked.

Act III
Act IV (*)
Act I
Act II
The Color Spectrum
Migrant

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Act III
The Color Spectrum
Act IV
Act II
Migrant
Act I

They're all bloody brilliant though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

So last night I finally got to see this band live. I went to The Lantern in Bristol with my Dad which is quite a small venue (max capacity 600 I think).

The two support bands were both English (Youth and Grumble Bee), I wasn't particularly blown away by either, musically they sounded ok but I wasn't really a fan of the vocal style of either. Also neither sounded great and at times the drums overpowered everything. I was a bit concerned that Casey's voice would get lost a bit when The Dear Hunter hit the stage (As both support bands suffered at times with this). Thankfully I was wrong.

The band hit the stage playing The Old Haunt, which I absolutely love, Casey's voice came through beautifully and powerfully and dispelled any worries I had. Also the band sounded tight and I was glad that you couldn't hear any one instrument too much over any others. Luckily the focus was all on Casey's magnificent set of pipes and he nailed it!!

Next they played Girl and Wait. I kind of like both but neither are particular favourites. However, Wait performed live is a whole different beast to the studio version and I was thinking to myself "Why have I never realised how great this song really is??". Safe to say, my Dad and I were grinning from ear to ear.

The set continued gloriously, with Casey sounding just perfect, as they hit us with Mustard Gas, The Bitter Suite IV and V: The Congregation and the Sermon in the Silt and Lillian. Again these songs aren't necessarily huge favourites of mine (but I love all off their music really so all songs are kind of favourites) but I found myself loving them all even more.

They burst into Waves next, which I have a huge passion for, and invoked a huge singalong as I really love the lyrics. Smiling Swine followed up and then a beautiful rendition of Home (One of the songs I was hoping for) then finished up with The Church and the Dime and He Said He Had a Story before leaving the stage.

They encored with a great version of King of Swords (Reversed) (Including a keyboard intro/jam session of the Ghostbusters theme) and Whisper.

I must admit I was a little gutted that they didn't play A Night on the Town or Red Hands (Although I've heard that Casey doesn't really like playing it anymore) but I will just continue to see them until they do play them  ;D

After they had finished my Dad and I were stood there not quite believing a band that good just played in front of (criminally) about 300 people and that we only paid £10 for a ticket!!! I hope they one day get more success, so they can afford to tour all over the world, as they are just one of the best live bands I have ever witnessed. I had already bought a T-shirt before the gig but as I thought they were so good and the tickets were so cheap I went and bought another copy of Migrant even though I have it as I felt they deserve all the money they can get.

My Dad was well chuffed (I gave him the copy of Migrant as he hasn't heard it yet), he wrote this on his Facebook this morning:

"Last night me and Luke went to see an amazing band in Bristol. They're called The Dear Hunter. It's as if Zeppelin and Yes produced a bastard child with balls of steel, three wonderful guitarists and a VOICE. Wow, what a voice, it soars and it swoops, it screams and soothes. Thank you Luke for a great night, much love, Dad xxxxx"

Think he nailed it  ;) Casey's voice really was at the center of all that made last night so great. Had to write this all down here as I knew you guys would appreciate how good they are. Sorry for the essay though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
That's a great setlist! I feel you on Wait man, I used to really not dig it too much, but just one time, very sudden, it hit me, it's now one of my favorite TDH songs. But Mustard Gas, man, that must've been glorious, I can already imagine the beginning of that song in a live setting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline twosuitsluke

That's a great setlist! I feel you on Wait man, I used to really not dig it too much, but just one time, very sudden, it hit me, it's now one of my favorite TDH songs. But Mustard Gas, man, that must've been glorious, I can already imagine the beginning of that song in a live setting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Was awesome. Still kind of in awe of how good they actually were. I'm not going to stop trying to convert some of my friends, I think there is something for everyone when it comes to this band. Very tempted to get next Tuesday off work and go to the show in Birmingham to see them again.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I'd rate them:

Act II
Act IV
Act III

Those three are extremely close, followed by:

The Color Spectrum
Act I
Migrant

Those three are also very close. I really enjoy all 6 albums.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Holy shit, tonight's London gig was just so ludicrously good. I saw them back in the autumn on their first UK and they were brilliant, but tonight was just mindblowing. Performances were stepped up a notch, most noticeably Casey who was absolutely incredible tonight. And the setlist felt like it was designed for me, almost every song was one of my favourites (setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-dear-hunter/2016/the-dome-london-england-5bf0377c.html).

UGH IT WAS SO GOOD WHY IS IT OVER?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

Holy shit, tonight's London gig was just so ludicrously good. I saw them back in the autumn on their first UK and they were brilliant, but tonight was just mindblowing. Performances were stepped up a notch, most noticeably Casey who was absolutely incredible tonight. And the setlist felt like it was designed for me, almost every song was one of my favourites (setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-dear-hunter/2016/the-dome-london-england-5bf0377c.html).

UGH IT WAS SO GOOD WHY IS IT OVER?

Was my first time seeing them live last week. Can't believe how good they were. I'm even more in love with them than I was before!! Looks like they pretty much played the same set, it was nigh on perfect for me. I've gotten my dad into them which is also great.

How many people would you estimate were at the London gig? It's criminal that there was probably 300 max (that's probably being pretty generous too) when I saw them.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Dunno, maybe around 500? Pretty good, and definitely a lot bigger than last time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
That looks like a great setlist ariich.

I just got Act IV on vinyl, and it's nice. I like the forest greenish color of the LPs. But what's with TDH and their typos? I'm sure it's not them, but on my CD copy of Act I (just sold it), it says "The Lkae South The River North" and on the lyric sheet for my Act IV, it says "The Squeeky Wheel".

Offline twosuitsluke

I can't believe how good this band are, Act IV STILL seems to get better the more I listen to it!! I have vowed to myself to go see them whenever and wherever they play in the UK next time as they are too incredible live to miss. Think I will also start buying tickets for friends so they have no excuse not to check them out!!

It seems so bizarre that bands this talented can't afford to tour the way I'm sure they want to. The fact I paid £10 for a ticket last time seems so unjust, I hope they tour over here again soon, want to be a personal ambassador for this band or something!!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I'm seeing them for the 2nd time in Atlanta this coming weekend, I'm excited once again. I do have a question for you other fans: I've seen a lot of love for every album except Migrant. I understand Migrant is kind of the odd one out, without the concept and ambition of the others, but is the lack of love simply because it's not a good album to some of you or is it just because it isn't as good as the others ? I've been giving it a lot of listens and there is some great songwriting on there, especially The Kiss Of Life, An Escape, Shouting At The Rain, Whisper, Bring You Down, and pretty much all the others. Very underrated record in my opinion.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
My favorites from Migrant are Shame, Whisper and Dig Your Own Grave. I like the album, but by now I'm so used to listening to full TDH albums, and it's not as enjoyable without the concept I've come to expect from them. I like when Casey sings about whores so that's another reason to give the edge to the act series.

It's a good album but yeah, I definitely prefer Act II III and IV, and it's pretty much tied for 4th with The Color Spectrum.

Offline 425

My favorites from Migrant are Shame, Whisper and Dig Your Own Grave. I like the album, but by now I'm so used to listening to full TDH albums, and it's not as enjoyable without the concept I've come to expect from them. I like when Casey sings about whores so that's another reason to give the edge to the act series.

It's a good album but yeah, I definitely prefer Act II III and IV, and it's pretty much tied for 4th with The Color Spectrum.

Is there something you want to tell us, Train? ;)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach

Offline SoundscapeMN

Lifer's should be getting something in the mail pretty soon  :coolio

Offline twosuitsluke

Lifer's should be getting something in the mail pretty soon  :coolio

What is it?

Offline twosuitsluke

I'm seeing them for the 2nd time in Atlanta this coming weekend, I'm excited once again. I do have a question for you other fans: I've seen a lot of love for every album except Migrant. I understand Migrant is kind of the odd one out, without the concept and ambition of the others, but is the lack of love simply because it's not a good album to some of you or is it just because it isn't as good as the others ? I've been giving it a lot of listens and there is some great songwriting on there, especially The Kiss Of Life, An Escape, Shouting At The Rain, Whisper, Bring You Down, and pretty much all the others. Very underrated record in my opinion.

Migrant was my least favourite when I first got into the band, it's grown on me a LOT though, some of the songs are some of my favourites by TDH, especially after hearing them played live. I like it more than some of the Colour Spectrum EP's and possibly Act I.

Talking of Migrant, I only just realised that the iTunes version of the album has like 7 bonus tracks I haven't got on my copy. I have a big smile on my face now as I have 6 *new TDH songs to fall in love with. My girlfriend is so sick of hearing this band  :lol