Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352739 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #2695 on: April 01, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
How could Spotify possibly be unethical?  Every band has the right to choose whether or not their music is available for streaming on Spotify.  If a band doesn't like the way Spotify works, they can just take their music off of it.
I dunno. I kinda dislike the fact that artists are being put into a place where they have to agree to give away their music for pennies 'cause if they don't they'll miss out since everyone's (record label) is doing it.

Just listened to Migrant on BB and pre-ordered the vinyl. I is excited!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2696 on: April 01, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
I've heard such varying explanations of how Spotify pays its artists that I have no idea who to believe.  I've heard from a couple of sources that it's actually not as bad as a lot of people say, and what's really happening is that the artists are getting screwed more by their record labels than by Spotify itself (i.e., Spotify pays the label, then the label pays the artist only a small fraction of what they're making).

But regardless, I don't think the problem lies with Spotify... it lies with the fact that artists are used to the more traditional system and haven't figured out a way to adapt to the changing technology and trends.  Artists need to stop complaining about the change in technology and start accepting the fact that it's here to stay so that they can begin to adapt and figure out ways to use it to their advantage.  I think this all actually ties in very closely with the "deluxe packaging" approach.  One of the reasons so many artists are now creating these elaborate packages is because in the modern music environment, you just need to make your physical package more appealing so that fans have an incentive to buy it.

Blaming the technology and complaining about it is incredibly counter-productive though.  And I really don't see it as an ethical issue at all.  Technology changes... business models change... the people in the industry have to adapt or get left behind.  That's just the way the world works.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: April 02, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
I do agree, Zep.

Back on topic, I spent a lot of yesterday afternoon and this morning listening to Migrant, even though my digital download hasn't arrived yet for some reason.

I love most of the music. I like the album, overall. I find the compositions and the arrangements to be much more realized that those on TCS. Even though they're not "prog", they are just as good at being short, concise songs as those on the Acts are being longer, more conceptual songs.

I'm minorly bugged by Casey's lyrics. I *do* like what he's doing by being honest and putting himself out there, but I'm not sure I really like how he does it. IMO, the lyrics still maintain a lot of those "theatrical" trimmings from the Acts. When Casey was singing about his characters and telling stories, it made perfect sense. Now that he's singing about himself... I dunno. He seems to lack subtlety, and borderlines melodrama, kinda like when people in musicals sing about how they're feeling. Honestly, it's no big deal, and I really don't mean to nitpick at all, but if Casey Crescenzo doesn't become a bit better at writing lyrics, I can't see him ever truly writing anything better than the Acts.

Then again most TDH fans absolutely love "Red Hands". While I like the music to that song, I really find how forward the lyrics are to be pretty abrasive. I guess I just prefer a more subtle, poetic style.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2698 on: April 02, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
Funny that you mention Red Hands in that context... Casey himself has more or less said the same thing about that song.  It's thinks it's incredibly immature and seems to be one of his least favorite songs... I think they only still play it regularly because it's such a fan hit.

I actually haven't gotten my digital download yet either... don't know what the holdup is :(

I also haven't even heard the album yet!!  Was hoping to get the CD in the mail today and listen to it in full tonight.  I want to make sure it gets full quality and 100% attention for my first listen...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2699 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
of all dates, tonight, on the release date of Migrant, Deerhunter appears on Jimmy Fallon. Ironies, lol.

https://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/episode-guide/

There's even a Facebook campaign to get The Dear Hunter on the show, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TDHforLateNight

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2700 on: April 03, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
I received my digital download last night, I will listen to the album for the first time today.

I also got a mail a couple of days ago saying that the delivery of the special edition will be delayed because the vinyls are going to be finished later than expected. The delay plus travel times to Europe probably mean I won't receive the items until May at least.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2701 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
I got this album yesterday and gave it a listen. It wasn't really what I was expecting (the only other album that I'm familiar with is Act I) but it was very enjoyable and I'll definitely keep listening to it.

I also got Act III which I'm listening to right now for the first time. Good stuff! I guess Act II is the next album I should get.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2702 on: April 03, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
So iTunes won't let me play Cycles for some reason. I pre-ordered the whole album a few days ago, but this is the one and only track that is apparently not authorized for use on this computer. And yes, I've tried authorizing it. I'm hoping Apple will throw me a bone this time, sent them a support request.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2703 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:13 AM »
The last three songs on the album are the best ones imo.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2704 on: April 04, 2013, 03:35:45 AM »
So iTunes won't let me play Cycles for some reason. I pre-ordered the whole album a few days ago, but this is the one and only track that is apparently not authorized for use on this computer. And yes, I've tried authorizing it. I'm hoping Apple will throw me a bone this time, sent them a support request.

Didn't Apple remove DRM altogether :huh:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2705 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:14 AM »
I thought so too. Well, at least they're being helpful about it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2706 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
The last three songs on the album are the best ones imo.
Along with the first 3. Always good to start and end strongly!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2707 on: April 04, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
I can agree with that. The start of the album and the end of the album has the best songs for me. The middle is not bad, but if there is one section on the album I like less, it would be the middle chunk.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2708 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
This album is so different from anything they've done before.  One of the reasons I love them so much though... never quite know what to expect.

Offline me7

« Reply #2709 on: April 05, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »
How was the stageit show? I payed but missed it because it was rescheduled :'(

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: April 05, 2013, 06:37:40 AM »
I can agree with that. The start of the album and the end of the album has the best songs for me. The middle is not bad, but if there is one section on the album I like less, it would be the middle chunk.

Yeah, I agree. I drifted somewhere in the middle as I was listening today.

Man, "Bring You Down" sounds so familiar, yet I can't place it.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2711 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

Offline me7

« Reply #2712 on: April 05, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Nice.

Offline drew512

« Reply #2713 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
Good times. Casey seemed more relaxed than last time. Cameron joined in for a few songs. Every TDH fan should definitely check out the youtube capture of it.

One thing I wish StageIt allowed (maybe it does) is for the performer to mute/block certain people from chat. There was one person in particular spamming stupid nonsense throughout the whole show. Towards the end Casey basically tells him to piss off.  :tup

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2714 on: April 08, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
I just received the Migrant special edition today (minus the vinyls, which I guess will take a few more weeks). I started watching the Color Spectrum DVD and I have to say it's pretty awesome, Casey's voice is pristine live and the whole band seems pretty into it.

I've also been listening to Migrant since I received the download codes. The first couple of listens I was somewhat underwhelmed, I thought the album was a bit too tame but now I realize it's only because I was expecting something more similar to the Acts. After a few more listens I can say I'm starting to dig it though I think it will take a bit longer to appreciate than the Acts, which were pretty much instant gratification. Early favorites are Whisper, Shame, Let Go and Don't Look Back.

TL;DR: With Migrant and TCS live, The Dear Hunter cement their status as a top 3 band for me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:53 AM »
New album just released, and this thread is already on page 2? Ok...

Anyway, I'm liking Migrant. A handful of songs--like half--completely slip through the cracks on me, though. It's not that they're bad, but the great songs are just that much greater.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2716 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »
I think An Escape, Girl, and Whisper may be my favorite tracks. The bonus tracks ain't half bad either.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
I love Girl, too. At first I thought it sounded way too much like Finger Eleven's Paralyzer, but Casey drops a huge twist on us with that chorus and taps into a complete new emotional spectrum compared to (what sounds like) the source material.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2718 on: April 11, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
I don't think the album has any bad songs, and it has a couple of amazing ones. Let Go is probably my favorite, such a great chorus.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
I think both the opening and closing tracks were awesome, although "Bring You Down" was reminding me so much of "Dig" by Incubus and I couldn't place it at first so it was driving my crazy.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2720 on: April 12, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
I just finished watching the TCS dvd, what an amazing concert. I teared up a bit during Home which is one of my favorite songs and it was nice to see how thankful Casey was for the fans - he must have said it at least six or seven times.

I really hope some day they manage to come to Europe (I don't even care about the country, I'd fly anywhere) because TDH is pretty much at number 1 in my "bands I want to see live" list.

By the way, Casey is asking for support for his brother as best indie drummer in some internet poll, so you can show some support if you feel like it:

Quote from: @CaseyCrescenzo
Everyone show my brother some love and vote for him as best indie drummer- https://www.drummagazine.com/drummies/vote/

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: April 12, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
Going through my second listen of the new album and I have to say it is very enjoyable. It is incredibly relaxing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2722 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »
So it looks like TDH are at Daytrotter doing a second session there.  If it's even half as awesome as the last time they were there, I'll be satisfied.

For those who haven't heard it, the version of Red Hands they recorded at the last Daytrotter session is by far my favorite version of that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV7zMFHCnwY

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2723 on: April 15, 2013, 01:10:17 AM »
epic show tonight in Minneapolis, in more than 1 way. Some girl would not shut up between songs..and even during some songs Casey, Connor and Robert Parr all had some words with her, but not all expected.

The show itself, including a handful of Migrant tunes all worked well. Although it's better exposure, I still hate going to the Entry for shows. That place is a shack and a sauna and the shows always go late.

That being, it still is probably the best of the 6 shows I've seen them. But the 2+ hour gigs are not going to be a regular thing I guess. This is their one "Evening With" tour of sorts I guess.

Hopefully more tomorrow in my blog.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2724 on: April 19, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Middle Ground is such an outrageously cool song! So groovy. Definitely one of my all-time favourite TDH songs, why on earth is it not on the main album?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2725 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »
Middle Ground is such an outrageously cool song! So groovy. Definitely one of my all-time favourite TDH songs, why on earth is it not on the main album?

Where did you find this song?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2726 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
Digital versions of the annex songs were sent out to everybody who ordered the deluxe version, so they're all definitely out there.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2727 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
Damn, I guess that isn't me. No other way to get them?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2728 on: April 19, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Looks like buying the vinyl or CD meant you got stuffed for hearing the extra material. Even someone who bought digitally on amazon apparently gets the rights to listen to stuff us physical media people don't get.

Kinda losing my patience with Mr. Crescenzo. I think I'll try and set back to enjoy the music without thinking about being jipped too much.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2729 on: April 19, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure the format of release is determined by the label, not by Casey.  As far as Casey is concerned he'd probably just give away all of his music to everybody for free.