Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 349007 times)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #1890 on: August 30, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
Interesting.  I feel like Indigo is generally the fan-favorite amongst existing TDH fans.
Which is so strange to me. I've been a huge TDH fan longer than nearly everyone here and I think Indigo is by far the worst on the album. I really don't see the appeal at all. I find it really dull and boring and about as far away from the Acts as anything on TCS.

Well I mean, the bulk of the TDH fan base is very different from the average TDH fan on DTF.  In my experience, the bulk of the "original" TDH fans were actually TREOS people and there aren't too many of them left.  I've been a fan since right around when Act II came out, and I've spent a lot of time on the TDH boards since then, and the general musical taste over there is widely different from what you see over here.  Very few "prog" fans at all (in fact, about 2 and a half years ago I started a Dream Theater thread over there and the reaction was so negative that it was about a year before I went back there).

As for the general sound change, I wouldn't worry too much.  There are still 3 or 4 Acts to go...
The ony thing I worry about is the interview with Casey from a few pages back where he makes it sound like he's not really all that interested in finishing the Acts and might just release them all at once digitally or something. He seems to have moved on musically from them. Which is fine if that's what he wants to do. I would just be disappointed if he didn't put the effort into finishing the story as he put in the first 3 Acts.

I think they're just not on the forefront of him mind right now.  But from what I know of Casey, I'd be shocked if he half-assed anything.  I don't think it's so much that he's "moved on" as it is that he's just been experimenting and playing around with other types of music.  The Acts storyline is the heart of the band.  In fact, at the recent Philly show he kind of implied that the Colors stuff is the focus right now, but that after this is done with, we might not see much of it again as the plan is to go back to Acts-focused setlists and stuff.

I feel like I'd rather just wait it out and have him finish the Acts storyline when he's ready and when he can give it the attention it deserves rather than just force it for the sake of being done with it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1891 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
Yeah, nothing against the people over at LATR, but... not entirely my type of crowd.  :lol I'm not too big into prog, but I feel like the music taste over here is much more diverse and varied.

Although I agree that Indigo is one of the best EPs, probably my second favorite behind Black.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1892 on: August 30, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Yeah, it's two totally different worlds.  But I think the real reason DTF is more diverse is just because there are WAY more people over here than there are on LATR.  I'd say that there are really maybe only 15-20 "regulars" on LATR at most.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1893 on: August 30, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
I don't agree at all that Violet is the most like the Acts, I'd say that's White by miles, and Yellow a bit as well. Violet is like symphonic pop-rock.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1894 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
Violet is not as interesting to me as the other EP's, just because I feel like it sounds like the Act-albums.
With that said, it is nothing about quality though, whenever I listen to Violet I think it's a brilliant EP, but the others just have a more 'unique' or well, 'new' feel to them.
I don't know, hard to explain.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1895 on: August 30, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
I don't agree at all that Violet is the most like the Acts, I'd say that's White by miles, and Yellow a bit as well. Violet is like symphonic pop-rock.

I always thought of Violet as show-tunesy. It's not the same exact thing as the Acts, but musically I think it is the most similar. Both are very symphonic/showy.

White is similar to the ballads on the Acts, for sure. But I can't see any relation between Yellow and any of the Acts.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1896 on: August 31, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
I feel like I'd rather just wait it out and have him finish the Acts storyline when he's ready and when he can give it the attention it deserves rather than just force it for the sake of being done with it.
I agree. I just hope he wants to give it the attention it deserves sooner rather than later. :)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1897 on: August 31, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »
The Dear Hunter's best ballad. What is it?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1898 on: August 31, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »
His Hands Matched His Tongue

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1899 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1902 on: August 31, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
I might lose some cred by saying this, as a lot of people (for reasons unbeknownst to me) seem to really dislike this song, but my VERY close runner-up as #2 is Embrace (Bitter Suite 3).

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1903 on: August 31, 2011, 07:47:46 PM »
whaaaaat really? that's like... one of the worst songs on Act II imo
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1904 on: August 31, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
I love the Bitter Suite, but yeah, overall Bitter Suite 1-3 are probably my least favorites on Act II.

But it's still really good, the whole album is amazing!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: August 31, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »
The Bitter Suite is my favorite TDH song, so yeah.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1906 on: August 31, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »
It's like the apex of the story and is the most emotional song on the album imo.  The buildup at the beginning is so epic.  The part where the drums first come in after the first minute or so is one of my favorite moments on the whole album.  And then the way Casey's voice has that slight crack in the first "fail" during the first chorus... so raw and intense.

And the lyrics are the perfect description of what's going on (i.e., a naive "country" kid experiencing sex and women for the first time ever and having no idea how to react to it and just being completely overwhelmed)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1907 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
Dammit.  Double-post.  :(

edit:  Might as well make some use out of this post.  This is like the perfect example of why I think this band has so much potential for success.  Everybody has favorite songs/albums that the love, but people seem to disagree wildly on exactly which ones they are.  I feel like with most bands there's at least somewhat of a consensus on what the "best" is, but with TDH I feel like every single fan has a totally different opinion on what they love.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:02:55 PM by ZeppelinDT »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1908 on: August 31, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
The first two parts are brilliant and wonderful and I love them. 

3 is my least favorite song of theirs.  Something about it just doesn't work. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1909 on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
I like the whole thing collectively, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album.

Which is ok I guess since it is pretty much the middle of the album, and on vinyl it more or less concludes the first disc.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1910 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »
Really?  Idunno... never really saw it as "not fitting".  The only song on any of the Acts that I've ever felt doesn't "fit" is "Go Get Your Gun".  I like the song itself, but I always feel like it kills the flow for some reason.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1911 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
I think Go Get Your Gun is mostly just in the wrong place.  I really like it, but it comes at a point where the mood of the album has switched from the whole "welcome to war" kind of thing to a much more sentimental and fragile state, and that's where it doesn't quite fit.  So yeah, I'd place it somewhere earlier on in the album, (not sure where) but I'd definitely hang on to it because I think it's really cool song. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1912 on: August 31, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »
It feels almost like it belongs more on Act II than Act III (which, given the context of the song, I guess makes sense).

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1913 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
I'd agree about Bitter Suite #3 just "not working"...I can't put my finger on why, it just doesn't.

Also:

We all have hearts, we all have home, but when we die, we die alone.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1914 on: August 31, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
We all have hearts, we all have home, but when we die, we die alone.

Whoah.  I'm actually listening to that song right now.  ("Holiday Awesomeness" Acoustic Version)

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!   :millahhhh

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1915 on: August 31, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa. Embrace is great! Love the chorus.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1916 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
Yeah, the chorus has been playing in my head for the last few posts or so in this thread.  :lol Great chorus!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1917 on: August 31, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
Really?  Idunno... never really saw it as "not fitting".  The only song on any of the Acts that I've ever felt doesn't "fit" is "Go Get Your Gun".  I like the song itself, but I always feel like it kills the flow for some reason.

This. So much this. I like the song, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't work.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1918 on: September 02, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
Hmmm, I've read so much about this band for about a year now, so I decided to try it. Shoot me for not going in order, but I'm listening to Act II right now and I'm... confused.

Is this a normal first reaction? I'm not sure if I like the singing or not, its poppier than I expected.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1919 on: September 02, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
thats what helps to make it so amazing
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1920 on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »
Well, now that I am a few more songs in..

Fuck what I said earlier, this is the fuckin shit  :metal
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1921 on: September 02, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
good
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #1922 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
The Church and the Dime is amazing, its my favorite so far.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1923 on: September 03, 2011, 06:30:15 AM »

This. So much this. I like the song, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't work.

I dunno, for me that was a much-needed change of pace on the album.  Also I felt like The Tank through The Thief was the slowest set of songs on a TDH album.  Not including the Bitter Embrace.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1924 on: September 03, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
The Church and the Dime is amazing, its my favorite so far.

That song live :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?