Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 344738 times)

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: The Dear Hunter v "Antimai" *NEW ALBUM* + 2022 Tour Dates
« Reply #3780 on: March 08, 2022, 07:49:47 AM »
I still feel like I'm the only person that Indigo does nothing for. My least favorite color by far.

I'm not the biggest fan of Indigo, tossup between Indigo, Orange and White* as my least favorite.
*Yes I'm aware 'Home' is amazing, but the other 3 don't do much for me.

Yellow is my go to one, love Green too - and obviously Violet as that is basically the normal Dear Hunter sound.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3781 on: March 17, 2022, 12:42:20 PM »
Listened to Migrant today for the first time in years. What a fantastic album. I feel like this one gets forgotten amongst the epic Acts and Color Spectrum. I had forgotten how many good songs there are here.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3782 on: March 17, 2022, 03:30:00 PM »
Listened to Migrant today for the first time in years. What a fantastic album. I feel like this one gets forgotten amongst the epic Acts and Color Spectrum. I had forgotten how many good songs there are here.
It really is a lovely album. It's not quite as incredible as Color Spectrum and Acts III-V, but it's still amazing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3783 on: March 17, 2022, 04:42:01 PM »
Migrant's great, but so easily forgotten. I think with the Acts being such a huge connected project, and with the Color Spectrum being another big connected project (though in a smaller time table), Migrant was just kind of... there. And we went right back into the Acts after. But every time I've come back to that record, I'm reminded that I do really enjoy those songs.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3784 on: March 17, 2022, 05:09:04 PM »
I've felt for a long time, if you include the songs from The Migration Annex, Migrant would be more or less at a similar level to The Acts.

"Old Demons" is a big favorite of mine. Also "Middle Ground" and "Dig Your Own Grave" are as good as anything from Migrant itself.

I kind of babbled on, about this on my YouTube channel a couple of months ago when reviewing every TDH album.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3785 on: March 17, 2022, 05:25:34 PM »
And now that you've mentioned it, I definitely forgot those Annex tracks even existed.

I should really check those out some day.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3786 on: March 18, 2022, 12:34:03 AM »
Oh yeah, the Annex songs are fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3787 on: March 18, 2022, 02:08:20 AM »
If you view them separately the Annex songs are overall strong than the Migrant one.  'Like Crazy' is an little underrated gem.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3789 on: March 24, 2022, 02:35:46 AM »
Act I and Act II live on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MToxhZU9x3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6dmyTUVII

These live streams are honestly incredible. I remember being so excited for the first one. I always thought Act I was OK, but holy shit, that live stream made me appreciate that album so much more!

I thought the Act II one was good, but something about that first one is so special. Might rewatch it today as it's been like a year since I watched.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3790 on: April 07, 2022, 11:47:11 PM »
this is kind of a tease. If I could go, I'd love to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPSDp5dy-w

Offline DTA

« Reply #3791 on: April 08, 2022, 07:34:35 AM »
this is kind of a tease. If I could go, I'd love to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPSDp5dy-w

I'd definitely go to something like that if I could swing it. I was able to hang out with the band a bit before their Philly show in 2011 and everyone was really cool.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3792 on: May 03, 2022, 05:20:32 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdGydSfDJVW/

hahaheslop
New song Friday, they just played it in London tonight! 🙂🙂🙂

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3793 on: May 05, 2022, 08:13:33 PM »
https://open.spotify.com/album/1G3ia0Fk470MQRFHZcYkEz

Ring 7 - Industry

great funky tune!

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/dearhunter/ring8poverty.html

"Ring 8 - Poverty" lyrics will be available upon album's release on July 01, 2022. Stay tuned.

Track List?

https://music.apple.com/ca/album/antimai/1621578284

1. Ring 8 - Poverty
2. Ring 7 - Industry
3. Ring 6 - Patrol
4. Ring 5 - Middle Class
5. Ring 4 - Patrol
6. Ring 3 - Luxury
7. Ring 2 - Nature
8. Ring 1 - Tower
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:43:25 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: The Dear Hunter v "Antimai" (7/1/22)
« Reply #3794 on: May 06, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »
The new single is funky as hell but I'm not sure that I'll be a huge fan of the direction they've gone, only in comparison to their Acts albums.

Because I regard Acts IV & V so highly I know that each subsequent release has left me wanting more. Saying that though, they haven't released an actual album since Act V.

I'm seeing them live next week and was really pumped. I sneaked a peak at their setlists over the last few days and was left a little disappointed. I know I'll have a blast and enjoy the set whatever they play, but it hit me that maybe I'm over my period of being completely in love with this band.

I'm sure they'll knock my socks off but I'll be sad if I'm left feeling anything but in awe.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3795 on: May 06, 2022, 02:11:36 PM »
I can follow why many fans may jump ship with this new direction/sound/approach, etc. I guess I enjoy them too much and appreciate what they have done outside of the Acts, that I'm not too worried.

Anyway Preorder is up:
https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/posts/548894619933142

We are thrilled to formally announce our new record “Antimai”, coming out July 1st. Within the concept of “The Indigo Child”, Antimai acts as an atlas of the fictional world’s last remaining metropolis, exploring its social hierarchy from the outside in.
Today, we share our first single, and one of our collective favorites, “Ring 7 - Industry”.
We first began playing this song in late 2019, touring an unfinished version in the hopes of slowly introducing listeners to the sound of an album we’d hoped to release the following year. Having recorded a majority of our instrumentation in January and early February of 2020, we took a short break with the intent of reconvening in mid March to wrap up work.
Things evolved as they did, and the record’s future became more and more uncertain with the decreasing likelihood of a traditional promotional/touring cycle ahead. But what started as a demoralizing situation slowly metamorphosed into an amazing opportunity to revisit the record with a completely fresh perspective. And slowly, piece by piece, we completed “Antimai” without any concern of when, or if, it would ever be heard—focusing solely on making a record we wanted to listen to.
-Casey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3796 on: May 10, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
Seeing the boys for the second time tonight. It's criminal that I've been a fan of this band for nearly 7 years and this is only my second time seeing them!

I am gonna

sing

my

fucking

heart

out

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3797 on: May 10, 2022, 10:16:31 AM »
should be fun. Be sure to post a review when you get a chance.

I have no idea when I'll see them next. Maybe this fall? I am a Lifetime Member, and have seen them probably close to 10 times though, but it's been many years since I got to see them headline, per the last 2 were them opening for Coheed and BTBAM.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3798 on: May 10, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »
The new song was decent. I always love to see a band explore new sounds and approaches to song writing. If they deviate too far from the Acts they may lose me though. To me, Act IV is pretty darn close to musical perfection and Acts, II, III, and V aren't far behind. I've been less excited about their work the more it deviated from the Act sound, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3799 on: June 09, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3800 on: June 10, 2022, 03:45:29 AM »
I've listened to the new song, and will likely give it a few more listens today. It pains me to say that, although I do like the fact it's a longer song and it goes in a few different directions, this isn't doing a great deal for me. I truly love this band but nothing post Act V has really done it for me.

I will always purchase whatever this band puts out but the new direction leaves me cold. I know some people will love it, and it'll likely grow one me, but Acts IV & V were such an unbelievable high I'm scared they'll never reach those heights again.

I'm desperate to be proven wrong though and believe Casey is capable of anything.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3801 on: June 10, 2022, 08:47:17 AM »
So wait, they came out with The Indigo Child last fall and another new album in July? I was unware of either of these releases. Lol, so hard to keep track of stuff these days.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3802 on: June 10, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »
So wait, they came out with The Indigo Child last fall and another new album in July? I was unware of either of these releases. Lol, so hard to keep track of stuff these days.

Their release schedule/press for new albums has been confusing me for like five years now.  :lol I had no idea if The Fox and the Hunt was a new album or a compilation. I had no idea if The Indigo Child was a soundtrack to that Act VI play he was working on or a new album. I had no idea if Antimai was a new album or a redo of The Indigo Child. And since Fox & Hunt and Indigo Child didn't get CD release, I had no idea they had even come out until months (almost a year) after they did.

It really is hard to keep track of when I have no CDs to preorder in advance.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3803 on: June 11, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »
as odd as the 1st part of the new tune is, narrative/theatrical, etc..the section that follows is ace, and catchy in sort of a new way for the band.

I wonder if the sax is going to be such a primary part of the sound of this record, they may hire someone to play sax live on tour at some point.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3804 on: June 17, 2022, 11:32:33 AM »
Official Video for "Ring 3 - Luxury"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4cTVxMbHHg

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3805 on: July 01, 2022, 02:24:59 AM »
I'm going to come out and say it, I'm disappointed.

I feel really underwhelmed with Antimai but not because I think it's a BAD record. Objectively it is good, the problem is

1. I hold The Dear Hunter to a really high standard (possibly too high) and for me Acts IV &V are two of top 5 albums of the last decade! Act IV is definitely number 1, and V is probably 2.

2. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken their music. I prefer the orchestral, movie score approach to the last two acts. This disco groove era is fine but it leaves me feeling like I'm missing the Dear Hunter sound I love.

I know this album will likely grow on me, and I'll appreciate it more than I do right now, however I feel 100% confident I will never like it in the way I admire Acts IV & V. That's OK, not every album had to be a masterpiece, I'm just in a mourning stage for what I could've had I guess.

I'll spin it again shortly, see how the second listen goes.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3806 on: July 01, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »
I really was not expecting to hear all that much if any of the Acts-sound with this, or to be honest, maybe any of their music again.

It's pretty well documented how Casey, after Act III even, was not interested in being confined to writing music within the confines of the Acts style.

Why after The Color Spectrum and Migrant, he kind of felt he wanted to make the other Acts records to finish them and move on to something new.
Part of Act IV and V coming out, I kind of see or even recall him saying, he made for the fans after they helped him make Amour & Attrition (crowd funded).

I have come to feel it could be a long time, if ever, we hear another new record from the band that resembles The Acts style. I mean, some moments will invevitably end up in there, but overall the STORY and STYLE could very well be past him and the band.

That being said..listened once..I enjoyed it, but I am kind of the feeling that I am skeptical this record from a love/ear-worm/relistenability will require some time from me before I'll enjoy it like any of the Acts records or even maybe TCS.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3807 on: July 01, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
I'm going to come out and say it, I'm disappointed.

I feel really underwhelmed with Antimai but not because I think it's a BAD record. Objectively it is good, the problem is

1. I hold The Dear Hunter to a really high standard (possibly too high) and for me Acts IV &V are two of top 5 albums of the last decade! Act IV is definitely number 1, and V is probably 2.

2. I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken their music. I prefer the orchestral, movie score approach to the last two acts. This disco groove era is fine but it leaves me feeling like I'm missing the Dear Hunter sound I love.

I know this album will likely grow on me, and I'll appreciate it more than I do right now, however I feel 100% confident I will never like it in the way I admire Acts IV & V. That's OK, not every album had to be a masterpiece, I'm just in a mourning stage for what I could've had I guess.

I'll spin it again shortly, see how the second listen goes.
I honestly don't think they can ever top Act IV and I don't expect them to. I also have no problem with Casey following his muse into other genres and styles. I'm enjoying Antimai for what it is. Almost done with my first listen and at this point I'd put it on par with or just below Act V. I'm sure it will grow on me though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3808 on: July 01, 2022, 05:58:20 PM »
yeah i'll probably give this one more spin but this is just, not what i come to TDH for. no real emotional drive to this one. just goofy showtunes all the way down. maybe a -bit- more of a rock edge than i remember act V having (never liked act V tho) but otherwise, this is just not something that interests me. like it's not... bad, but

also
disco groove
what disco lmao. there's like, some big band/jazz stuff in there if that's what you mean but this is not disco even the tiniest bit  :rollin

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3809 on: July 02, 2022, 07:15:23 AM »
Sunya, Spring 2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDearHunter/comments/vp56v3/yo_casey_fantastic_new_album/
"Casey Crescenzo
Okay but also as a snarkless response, thank you for the kind words and I hope you continue to enjoy. Looking to put out Sunya next year. Hopefully in spring.
caseycrescenzo
·
15 hr. ago
Casey Crescenzo
Sunya is the mythical holy city in The Indigo Child. Also the title of the next album. Also the special coffee blend Nick Sollecito made with his Shapeshifter Coffee Co."

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #3810 on: July 02, 2022, 09:13:57 AM »
Different album and one that I'm growing to appreciate more with each listen. To me the hook of TDH comes from connected motifs both lyrical and musical and that's something that takes me multiple listens to put together.

I look at this album like Act 1 - good with some memorable moments that will probably mean more in the greater context.

Ring 3 is the one I keep coming back to - the Pink Floyd influence in the first half is so much fun to listen to. It makes me think of Animals and The Final Cut had a funky baby.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3811 on: July 02, 2022, 03:49:45 PM »
disco groove
what disco lmao. there's like, some big band/jazz stuff in there if that's what you mean but this is not disco even the tiniest bit  :rollin

God, all I ever see is people gatekeeping disco on DTF!

In response to some of the other comments above, I have no problem with the fact The Dear Hunter have taken their music in this direction. I also wasn't hoping for something that sounded like the Acts. What I WAS hoping for was songs in this style that l liked as much as stuff from the Acts. I'd heard the singles and was underwhelmed, but was holding out hope that there were better songs on the album itself. Unfortunately, for me I haven't anything to love on the new album yet. That's not to say I won't in the future, that's just where I'm at now.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3812 on: July 02, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »
Only one listen so far and I liked it better than I expected to. Like most of you, I absolutely adore the Acts and put a few of them in my top 10 albums ever. I think there was just enough of the Acts sound here to keep me interested. Only time will tell if it falls by the wayside or grows on me.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3813 on: July 07, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »
The more I listen to this album, the more I like it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3814 on: July 07, 2022, 02:24:12 PM »
I wouldn't say that I'm a die-hard fan of the band, but I definitely have a ton of respect for them and have enjoyed most of what I've heard.

After one spin of the new album, I think it's pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.