Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 343935 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Dear Hunter v Casey Crescenzo's HONORARY ASTRONAUT EP (2020)
« Reply #3710 on: September 23, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/therealTDH/status/1308881901214666763/photo/1

We are excited to announce a FULL BAND performance live-streamed from Port Angeles, WA on October 9th, 2020.

Tickets are on sale now at http://thedearhunter.com

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3711 on: October 01, 2020, 11:56:09 PM »
Shouldn't the new Honorary Astronaut EP be streaming now? It's not up on Spotify in the UK yet. Anyone else got it available to stream in their country yet?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3712 on: October 02, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
unsure, but the Amazon MP3's were put up on September 18th.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Honorary+Astronaut&i=digital-music&search-type=ss&ref=ntt_srch_drd_B08F44NWTZ

still waiting on my vinyl.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3713 on: October 02, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Honorary+Astronaut&i=digital-music&search-type=ss&ref=ntt_srch_drd_B08F44NWTZ
That's just the two singles, which are also on Spotify.

Anyway I can't see anything that says it's releasing on digital platforms yet?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3714 on: October 03, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »
That's just the two singles, which are also on Spotify.

Anyway I can't see anything that says it's releasing on digital platforms yet?

I thought I noticed more than just those 2 tracks on there.

Anyway, the Preorders were sent an email recently that mentioned the official release date is now October 23rd.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3716 on: November 27, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3717 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:04 PM »
bump.

this Saturday they are performing the complete ACT I live via their Pillar page.

Act I: The Lake South, The River North
March 6th - 6pm PST / 9pm EST

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3718 on: March 05, 2021, 03:53:15 AM »
bump.

this Saturday they are performing the complete ACT I live via their Pillar page.

Act I: The Lake South, The River North
March 6th - 6pm PST / 9pm EST

If I had the free to take advantage of this Pillar subscription I'd be all over it. Or at least if it would let you download the live streams after they've aired. The Dear Hunter are one of the few bands I'd take the plunge on.

Anyone got any experience using Pillar? Like pros and cons of it?

Offline twosuitsluke

Re: The Dear Hunter v ACT I LIVE STREAM SATURDAY 3/6/21
« Reply #3719 on: March 05, 2021, 07:33:36 AM »
I'm really considering taking the plunge and just signing up to Pillar. I can just binge everything in a month and then cancel my subscription if needed.

Thinking about it has sent me on a Dear Hunter binge today. I just love to sing along to this band so much, perfect for a Friday!!

I've had their whole catalogue on shuffle for the last hour or so. It was on as I was having lunch with my one year old son. I was singing, bopping about, stamping my foot and air drumming. He. Loved. It! Definitely a fan in the making. He already has a strong sense of what he likes and doesn't like in music. Certain songs just captivate him and it's amazing to see. So the songs that he loved the most, during lunch time, were Deny It All and This Body. He was really vibing.

This was all to my wife's dismay, as she can't stand The Dear Hunter (let's just say I've listened to them a lot since we've been together). She basically dislikes anything I like on principle  :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3720 on: March 05, 2021, 08:21:33 AM »
lol.

My wife dislikes most of my music, however I don't think The Dear Hunter is at the top of that list.

A couple of times I played tracks from TDH and she was kind of hesitant to admit she liked it. "Light" for example, she was like, "This is The Dear Hunter?" kind of inferring she didn't want to, but did like it.

twosuitsluke, what music does your wife like? and do you like the music she listens to?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3721 on: March 05, 2021, 09:44:55 AM »
She is kinda the same. She begrudgingly likes some of the stuff I listen to, and catches herself enjoying it sometimes only to say, it's lame really. She just can't bring herself to admit anything I like is good.

My wife really loves reggae, predominantly. That's our main crossover. She likes a lot of pop like Lizzo, St Vincent, Solange. She likes classics Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison. We both also love Stevie Wonder actually. I'm a big Bestles fan and she's a bit hit and miss with The Beatles. I can happily listen to most of what she likes, but she does have some questionable tastes. What about you?

She's also mainly a radio listener and generally just listens to 6Radio, which is great as far as radio stations go.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:55:01 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3722 on: March 05, 2021, 10:52:13 AM »
She is kinda the same. She begrudgingly likes some of the stuff I listen to, and catches herself enjoying it sometimes only to say, it's lame really. She just can't bring herself to admit anything I like is good.

My wife really loves reggae, predominantly. That's our main crossover. She likes a lot of pop like Lizzo, St Vincent, Solange. She likes classics Fleetwood Mac, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison. We both also love Stevie Wonder actually. I'm a big Bestles fan and she's a bit hit and miss with The Beatles. I can happily listen to most of what she likes, but she does have some questionable tastes. What about you?

She's also mainly a radio listener and generally just listens to 6Radio, which is great as far as radio stations go.

Reggae?, I guess I can follow as something some either love it or can't stand it. I often say I like Ska (Instead of Reggae) like I say with Country music, I'll mention liking Bluegrass.

It sounds like her music taste is accessible enough. My wife does like Lizzo and Destiny's Child, more than say, the members solo careers.

Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, St.Vincent (who I'll admit I used to love myself, but she's lost me now) at least you guys do share some taste. But I take it most Prog and Metal doesn't do much for her? I suppose you could point to some examples of some of those artists actually making songs that are progressive or art-pop/rock.

Like your wife, my wife DID listen to the radio/mtv a ton back in the 80's and 90's ,more so. Now she listens to specific radio stations and radio shows, that largely play a lot of 80's pop especially.

I find more or less all the music she likes and loves, I don't mind, and sometimes do really like. The Monkees/Michael Nesmith, Hall & Oates, George Michael/Wham!, Michael Jackson and even like KD Lang, I have grown to appreciate more having her play them often. And the small number of newer artists she is into: Mayer Hawthorne, Josh Rouse, Chromeo, The Bird & the Bee, Fountains of Wayne, I find I enjoy, but not like her.

There's only a few artists that we both almost equally like, but even when that happens like Queen or Elton John, we prefer different eras.

It's funny how we ended up together as both loving music, but our tastes are always different in some way (it's almost a fun/funny friendly competition in some way). But that is her nature to be competitive. For example, she pretty much hates The Beatles (while feeling like she's the biggest Monkees fan on the planet), but it's really funny how she ends up knowing many of their songs and sings them sometimes. The same thing holds true with The Who actually, lol. We've actually made Vinyl videos about Record Store Day that I put on YouTube and it's always noticed the contrast on what each of us show. She has the Pop and Soul records, and I have the Prog and Metal, lol.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3723 on: March 06, 2021, 02:21:07 PM »
My wife used to listen to Gojira and Coheed and Cambria when she was a teenager.!!

She just isn't interested in anything like that anymore and likes more chill stuff. I've been listening to a lot of Deftones recently and she's fine with that. She's also fine with stuff like Nine Inch Nails. We both like trip-hop so can stick on Portishead or The Avalanches and we're fine.

She's been trying to convert me to Prince but I just can't find anything I particularly enjoy  :lol

But, live stream in like 5 hours. Who's watching?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:55:18 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3724 on: March 07, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
Did anyone watch the "Live stream" last night? I put it in adverted commas as the performance of Act I, in it's entirety, was pre recorded.

I've only watched the Act I performance so far, but now watching the live chat with the band etc. Holy shit was Act I amazing! I'm personally glad it was pre recorded as it was just so well polished. I'd really recommend to everyone who is a fan.

Act I has always been a weird one for me. Like, I enjoy it, but I've never fully loved it. This performance gave me a new appreciation for it and I took in the lyrics more than I ever have. It was well worth the subscription to Pillar, as far as I'm concerned.

I think there's going to be some new announcements regarding Indigo Child, so I'll report back as I get to it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3725 on: March 07, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
I like the way the band Anberlin is doing their livestreams. They're doing about one per month in a local venue, doing an album of theirs in-full each time, and offering tickets to watch for $10 through their website. They leave up the stream for a week after so if you missed it, you can still buy a ticket and watch it. They also offer packages on their site with downloads/vinyl bundled with other merch so they can get some other income that way. In between they tell stories about the songs and fuck with each other and it's just so much fun to watch. I've never heard of Pillar but it seems annoying to have to sign up for something else just to watch a livestream.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3726 on: March 07, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »
My wife used to listen to Gojira and Coheed and Cambria when she was a teenager.!!

She just isn't interested in anything like that anymore and likes more chill stuff. I've been listening to a lot of Deftones recently and she's fine with that. She's also fine with stuff like Nine Inch Nails. We both like trip-hop so can stick on Portishead or The Avalanches and we're fine.

She's been trying to convert me to Prince but I just can't find anything I particularly enjoy  :lol

But, live stream in like 5 hours. Who's watching?

sounds like she's become more particular with her tastes. Loud, heavy music isn't her thing anymore, although Nine Inch Nails and Deftones can be.

Prince is kind of all over the place, you may just not have heard the right song or album. Not that I'm the biggest fan in the world, although it was a thrill to meet him once.  He did his share of progressive tunes. "Computer Blue" from Purple Rain probably being my favorite.

as far as the stream, I was going to buy a ticket, but I got thrown off by a couple of things.

Last night, my next door neighbors had one of their loud partys, which can be pretty distracting unfortunately. But also with Pillar, I was thrown off by the fact they required me to give a phone#. I'm a Patreon supporter for The Reign of Kindo, and I don't recall having to give a phone number to sign up. An email? of course . But they require a phone# because they have to text you? I've been getting a shit ton of Robo and Spam calls as it is, and actually had my identity taken recently, so I'm pretty wary of giving out my phone number right now.

The other thing is, as much as I love TDH, there are other bands I love and probably could use my support even more; Bend Sinister for example has a live stream coming up next Friday night, so I felt maybe it would be worth buying a ticket to that instead right now.

I'm sure it was awesome and I guess some details about The Indigo Child were mentioned; it being recorded already, etc per I've seen some comments on some of the FB groups.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3727 on: March 08, 2021, 01:34:50 AM »
I like the way the band Anberlin is doing their livestreams. They're doing about one per month in a local venue, doing an album of theirs in-full each time, and offering tickets to watch for $10 through their website. They leave up the stream for a week after so if you missed it, you can still buy a ticket and watch it. They also offer packages on their site with downloads/vinyl bundled with other merch so they can get some other income that way. In between they tell stories about the songs and fuck with each other and it's just so much fun to watch. I've never heard of Pillar but it seems annoying to have to sign up for something else just to watch a livestream.

The Dear Hunter are essentially doing the same thing. You don't have to sign up to Pillar, you can just purchase a one off ticket to the show, but it's more cost effective to sign up.

Once you sign up to Pillar you have access to all the recent live streams, as well as a library of demos and unreleased stuff you can listen to, behind the scenes documentaries, podcasts, as well as other stuff. There's talk of them getting the whole live show, where they played The Color Spectrum, in it's entirety, up on there. If the "Live" playthroughs of Acts I & II sell well they will likely do III, IV & V as well.

I mean you can cancel your subscription at any time. Alternatively you could wait a few months, until even more content is on Pillar, sign up for a month ($10), binge it all then cancel.

There's currently enough on there that I'm going to leave my subscription in place, at least until they release the Act II playthrough. I just love this band and would support them.over most other bands to be fair.

So did no one watch Act I on Saturday then?  :omg: 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3728 on: March 13, 2021, 01:29:18 PM »
I can't stop watching the Act I stream. It is SO good. I have everything crossed that they release the audio as a download. I'll likely play it more than the original record. The band really were on fire and it fills me with hope that we will get to see all the Acts receive the same treatment  :heart

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #3729 on: March 31, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »
I've been listening to Act IV a good bit recently. Overall, I think it's a great album, but I feel as though it's just a bit too long. I think not much would be lost if they'd cut At the End of The Earth, If All Goes Well, and Ouroboros; they're good songs, but nothing remarkable. A Night on the Town is the best song on the album to me, but I also really enjoy The Old Haunt, Is There Anybody Here?, The Bitter Suite IV-VI, and King of Swords (Reversed). And the rest of the songs that I haven't mentioned are all enjoyable as well. There's so many good vocal moments... Casey Crescenzo has such a great voice.

Any advice on what TDH album(s) I should listen to next? I'm interested in Act V, since I really like The March, but part of me thinks it might be better to listen to the first three Acts before listening to Act V.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3730 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:23 PM »
I agree to an extent. Act IV has become the popular favorite pick for many, and while I do love it and it has some of their best songs (Waves, A Night on the Town, King of Swords (Reversed), The Old Haunt, The Squeaky Wheel), I do find the end drags on. The last 2, even the last 4 tracks seem to make it go on longer than it needs to.

And the Acts albums are so good, i find myself actually ranking it the lowest.

I would say Act V is the natural  choice given it was written and recorded at the same time as Act IV, thus it sounds the most like Act IV. But I'm not sure it matters that much given you enjoy Act IV so much already.

If you want something different, you could dive deep into The Color Spectrum next instead.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3731 on: March 31, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »
If you like Caseys voice I really recommend giving The Color Spectrum a listen. Their are some great songs on there and those have my favorite TDH songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3732 on: April 03, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
I've been listening to Act IV a good bit recently. Overall, I think it's a great album, but I feel as though it's just a bit too long. I think not much would be lost if they'd cut At the End of The Earth, If All Goes Well, and Ouroboros; they're good songs, but nothing remarkable. A Night on the Town is the best song on the album to me, but I also really enjoy The Old Haunt, Is There Anybody Here?, The Bitter Suite IV-VI, and King of Swords (Reversed). And the rest of the songs that I haven't mentioned are all enjoyable as well. There's so many good vocal moments... Casey Crescenzo has such a great voice.

Any advice on what TDH album(s) I should listen to next? I'm interested in Act V, since I really like The March, but part of me thinks it might be better to listen to the first three Acts before listening to Act V.

I think whichever route you take you'll be pleased. Act V is closest in style to IV, and for me Act IV only bests it my the smallest of margins. As for Acts I-III, I personally rank them II>I>III. If you do listen chronologically then I'd suggest you try and watch the resent stream they did, playing through the whole of Act I. It gave me a whole better appreciation of that album. I think Act II really is the best of the first 3, and for some reason,  III has never massively clicked for me. It's got some great songs but I personally find it the weakest of the Acts. Absolutely do not take my word for that though as a lot of fans feel it's the best of the Acts!

If not though, as Ben_Jamin said, give The Color Spectrum a go.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3733 on: April 03, 2021, 02:17:00 PM »
I am gonna have to use some bs phone number this time to get acess as that is somehow required to sign up.

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/posts/298597484962858

On April 24th, we are excited to be presenting Act II in its entirety as a full band, full production streamed performance. We had so much fun hanging out with you last month for Act I, we can’t wait to do it again! This event will air exclusively on Pillar - and is included in your membership if you are currently a subscriber. If you are not yet on Pillar, you can pick up a ticket or sign up for a membership today! Tickets + more info at thedearhunter.com

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3734 on: April 03, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
I am gonna have to use some bs phone number this time to get acess as that is somehow required to sign up.

https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/posts/298597484962858

On April 24th, we are excited to be presenting Act II in its entirety as a full band, full production streamed performance. We had so much fun hanging out with you last month for Act I, we can’t wait to do it again! This event will air exclusively on Pillar - and is included in your membership if you are currently a subscriber. If you are not yet on Pillar, you can pick up a ticket or sign up for a membership today! Tickets + more info at thedearhunter.com

You really should! You should then watch the Act I stream. It was so good and it will 100% hype you up for Act II!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The Dear Hunter v ACT II LIVE STREAM SATURDAY 4/24/21
« Reply #3735 on: April 22, 2021, 04:29:43 AM »
Do you think it's at all likely Casey will ever release Act VI? Or is the story basically dead? I'm feeling rather blue-balled here.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3736 on: April 22, 2021, 05:01:51 AM »
Do you think it's at all likely Casey will ever release Act VI? Or is the story basically dead? I'm feeling rather blue-balled here.

Hasn't he confirmed his plan for Act VI is a movie? He said he has a screenplay written and is shelving it until they're in a position to get it off the ground, I think. He's 100% definitely said it won't be released as an album.

The band is almost set to release The Indigo Child though, which is the start of a whole new concept. Kinda similar to what Coheed have done with Vaxis I guess.

On a more important note, who is watching the Act II stream on Saturday? If it's even half as good as the Act I stream, it'll be incredible!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3737 on: April 22, 2021, 05:31:23 AM »
I want to, althouugh beyond the phone number issue, I need to see if my schedule allows it.

But the Act VI movie thing I recall is what Casey has said, and The Indigo Child is in the works. I recall it's not just purely going to be an album, but include film as well. That will of course be driven by $/budget.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3738 on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:15 AM »
So I put in a different phone number and have access to the Pillar for the Act II Stream tonight.

Just watched the Act I performance, and certainly, it's rather breathtaking. The footage, arrangements and clarity.

1 thing that I was thrown off by though, it was much like the Major Parkinson performance on YouTube about a year ago. It's more like a live performance filmed, as a FILM. There's no talking, banter, or even crowd interaction, which I suppose they could have done with someone reading comments from the stream's chat, etc.

Or maybe the version on PILLAR to watch edited that out?

I am planning on watching the Act II performance live tonight (and hopefully our next door neighbors won't be holding another party where we can here their guests easily outside, that could cause a distraction), although it sucks because my wife wants to watch the Prince documentary tonight, which we could purchase a ticket and would have 4 days to still watch. But she doesn't care about TDH of course, so I'm kind of torn on which one to Stream and which one to Watch later.

Also reminding her 1-week from Sunday The Reign of Kindo has a stream as well, lol.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3739 on: April 24, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »
Do it man! I'm so pumped for this!

The Act I performance is definitely breathtaking, and gave me an appreciation for that album that I'd been lacking. I hope they release the audio from these streams as I prefer the stream over the original recording.

In regards to the way it was recorded and streamed, I think it was the right choice. When you are playing an album in it's entirety it breaks the flow if there is chat and banter. They have done other streams (which are on Pillar) where they have chatted abd interacted with the live chat.

I already love Act II so am looking forward to being in a position where I love it EVEN MORE, after the stream. I'd love to watch it live but it's like 2am in the UK. I still might though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3740 on: April 24, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/AllMediaReviews/status/1386146063157891074

man, that was epic just as the Act II record is from @therealTDH. Like Act I, I was tearing up multiple times. I feel like I just saw both a moving film and my life as it was in 2007 all over again.

gonna watch the Prince thing now, but I have Act II all over my head right now.

We did get a brief clip of "The Indigo Child" at the end, which the vocals sound very processed, but also has like a spacey synth-funk element.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #3741 on: June 11, 2021, 08:11:59 PM »
So this happened…

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3742 on: June 11, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
that's sad, but also understandable as he has had such a prolific music career even without his time with TDH.

I do wonder if the amount of time TDH required of him was more than he was used to, namely the touring aspect.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #3743 on: June 11, 2021, 10:14:54 PM »
Yeah before Gavin they had asked Andrew Brown to join - he would have been a great permanent addition but he turned it down because of the time commitment - he had just had a kid and didn’t want to be away for so long. Can’t be an easy life.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3744 on: June 12, 2021, 12:02:40 AM »
Interestingly, Gavin Castleton opened for The Dear Hunter when they came to my favorite local venue. I liked his set, and bought the albums he had available to buy at the time. Then, TDH came on and I saw he was playing keyboards. I was all, cool.

But, it was his solo stuff I got into and know Gavin Castleton from, rather than as the keyboardist for TDH.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD